Final Fantasy IX

Old bug reports which are fixed and/or outdated
mrblair1
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems
PlayStation Model: SCPH-7000

Final Fantasy IX

Post by mrblair1 » September 3rd, 2021, 8:46 pm

Only about an hour into the game. In the evil forest when prompted and trying to start an active time event the game freezes. Active time event (Girl who was left behind). USA version.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
I am a: Systems Designer
PlayStation Model: H2700/5502

Re: Final Fantasy IX

Post by Matt » September 3rd, 2021, 9:37 pm

That's a bit strange. Usually when the game freezes during game play, it comes down to three things. The first is to try a different EXTDSP mode. The second is to make sure the game checksum matches ReDump and the third is related to an actual bug in our PSIO code. Can you please confirm the first two before we assume it's the third? :)

mrblair1
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by mrblair1 » September 4th, 2021, 1:06 am

I get it and appreciate the explanation. Checked the ReDump and it matches. Problem is that their is no save point for some time with their being a boss fight and some dialogue before freeze. I will check the Redump from now on. I don't think I can confirm the modes for this game. This game does freeze.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » September 4th, 2021, 1:33 am

mrblair1 wrote: September 4th, 2021, 1:06 am Checked the ReDump and it matches. I will check the Redump from now on.
You contradicted yourself. You said you checked ReDump and it matches, but then you said you will check ReDump from now on which is a past tense accusation meaning you will check it. I'll take the prior statement into effect however :)
:null:
mrblair1 wrote: September 4th, 2021, 1:06 am I don't think I can confirm the modes for this game. This game does freeze.
It will be difficult with no saves near the area in the game which has the freezing problem, but please check them when you can. There is no rush ;)

whitezombie
Lives in the Cybdyn Systems Server

Post by whitezombie » September 4th, 2021, 5:56 am

If you do a search for Final Fantasy IX it has been reported that K1V2 is needed for this game. I have no idea how relevant that is to the current firmware but give it a shot.

Takehaniyasubiko
/// CYBDYN SYSTEMS ELITE ///
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1002

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » September 4th, 2021, 8:52 am

It should work via Midboot with no issues on the current firmware because FFIX was tested before.

I will test it again, to make sure.

Post me a screenshot showing where exactly is that active time event (just use Youtube to find a playthrough of FFIX and take a screenshot from the right part of the game).
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, an afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four, five times more, perhaps not even that."
- Paul Bowles

mrblair1
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by mrblair1 » September 4th, 2021, 9:43 am

I will give me a little time. It's at the beginning of that map and happens after your first boss fight. The IGN walkthrough says its the prison cage boss fight. After some dialogue on the ship you then can choose the active time event.

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » September 4th, 2021, 10:09 am

mrblair1 wrote: September 4th, 2021, 9:43 am I will give me a little time. It's at the beginning of that map and happens after your first boss fight. The IGN walkthrough says its the prison cage boss fight. After some dialogue on the ship you then can choose the active time event.
Kito checked FFIX on the current firmware for many hours and it worked for him. That's why I suspect a problem with your SD card, but I will check this to make sure.

Are you sure it's just one hour into the game?
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, an afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four, five times more, perhaps not even that."
- Paul Bowles

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » September 4th, 2021, 5:04 pm

If the game works for 1 hour though, it shouldn't be an SD Card issue. It might be the unknown timing bug related to WipEout XL. There's an edge-case situation. More people will need to test this bug report though to make sure.

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » September 4th, 2021, 8:00 pm

Matt wrote: September 4th, 2021, 5:04 pm If the game works for 1 hour though, it shouldn't be an SD Card issue. It might be the unknown timing bug related to WipEout XL. There's an edge-case situation. More people will need to test this bug report though to make sure.
That's early in the game. More people should have noticed it if that was the case. This is one of the most popular PS1 games. If the SD card has an issues with a given sector of the memory, it's possible the game fails at that spot only for him.

I'll try and check this today, but i doubt nobody else noticed this freeze before if it's true.
- Paul Bowles

mrblair1
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by mrblair1 » September 4th, 2021, 8:12 pm

I will test it and will see. I didn't see any mentions of it being a bug within the game. Their are a few ps1 games that do have bugs in the actual games that can not load by mistake. I didn't contradict myself maybe your English is different. US English we don't use tenses. Yes it's only about 1 hour into the game its the second map. I'll try the modes and hopefully that will fix it. Appreciate the help.

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » September 5th, 2021, 5:10 am

You mean this part?

Attachments
snapshot.jpg
(215.05 KiB) Not downloaded yet
- Paul Bowles

mrblair1
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by mrblair1 » September 5th, 2021, 9:16 am

That is the first one what I remember. Your close you have to do a boss fight and then its after that.

mrblair1
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by mrblair1 » September 5th, 2021, 6:24 pm

The recommendation for the K1V2 was right. Happy to have the game working. Everything seems to be fine.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » September 5th, 2021, 10:59 pm

Good to hear! If the problem happens again, just let us know :)

whitezombie

Post by whitezombie » September 15th, 2021, 3:39 am

I decided to try this for an hour today. I got past the ATE described above with midboot. However just a few minutes after that, you have to talk to Vivi in a room, exit, there is flashback scene, the screen goes white, and freezes. I didn't bother testing K1V2 since multiple people have reported it fixes this game.

Played for another hour and got to the point were you exit the Evil Forest. An ATE happens with a Moogle to give you a tutorial and I got a black screen.
Last edited by whitezombie on September 15th, 2021, 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » September 15th, 2021, 6:51 am

Okay so it needs K1V2 via LoadExec then it seems for sure. Thanks for testing it! :D

whitezombie

Post by whitezombie » September 15th, 2021, 7:40 am

Matt wrote: September 15th, 2021, 6:51 am Okay so it needs K1V2 via LoadExec then it seems for sure. Thanks for testing it! :D
After further testing I would say it may or may not need K1V2. I went back and tried with K1V2 and Midboot. The freezes at these spots seem to be random with both modes. Sometimes they freeze, the orange light stays solid on PSIO, and sometimes they load fine on the SD card.

These two older threads claim K1V2 worked for them so I can't be sure why some people seem to need it. I didn't get the corrupted graphics as reported in an older thread right outside the Evil Forest with Midboot or Systems Console.

viewtopic.php?f=86&t=3705&p=34369&hilit ... +ix#p34369

viewtopic.php?f=86&t=1601&p=16730&hilit ... +ix#p16730

Maybe this an SD card issue but it feels very similar to the Resident Evil freeze issues, which is odd because I haven't had any issues with other games on that card. I went and tested FFIX with Systems Console (V2.8) streaming from my PC and I couldn't get it to freeze at those spots.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » September 15th, 2021, 9:17 am

How did you load FFIX via USB. Did you boot the Menu System first or did you just boot the game directly?

whitezombie

Post by whitezombie » September 15th, 2021, 9:26 am

Matt wrote: September 15th, 2021, 9:17 am How did you load FFIX via USB. Did you boot the Menu System first or did you just boot the game directly?
Yes Ioad the menu.sys file, stop and close the image, then open and run image, FFIX.
Last edited by whitezombie on September 15th, 2021, 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.