Final Fantasy VII

Old bug reports which are fixed and/or outdated
mrblair1
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems
PlayStation Model: SCPH-7000

Final Fantasy VII

Post by mrblair1 » December 21st, 2020, 6:08 pm

Using system version V2.6.28. I am using the Japanese version of the game and has a loading malfunction. The crash does not happen with the disc so I'm sure its the PSIO. When you try to enter the port town of Junon from the world map the screen will go blank and keep playing the world map music. The new town won't load. This is some earlier in the game.

Kito1984
/// CYBDYN SYSTEMS ELITE ///
I am a: Interpreter
Motto: Do no harm
PlayStation Model: SCPH-5500
Steam: kito_2003

Re: Final Fantasy VII

Post by Kito1984 » December 21st, 2020, 6:24 pm

mrblair1, ?an you provide save?

mrblair1
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by mrblair1 » December 21st, 2020, 6:33 pm

I don't think I have the tools to provide a save.

Kito1984

Post by Kito1984 » December 21st, 2020, 6:42 pm

mrblair1 wrote: December 21st, 2020, 6:33 pm I don't think I have the tools to provide a save.
Okay, I understand. Just FYI: it can be done with PS2 with uLaunchELF and network connection. I'll try it in NA version later just in case, because I don't know Japanese :)

mrblair1
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by mrblair1 » December 21st, 2020, 6:57 pm

Yeah thanks. I don't have a PS2. This town is probably about 8 hours into the game. Their is also a translated version.

Kito1984

Post by Kito1984 » December 21st, 2020, 9:05 pm

mrblair1 wrote: December 21st, 2020, 6:57 pm Their is also a translated version.
I visited Junon in NA version, there is no bug. It's probably a bug in Japanese version, event bug or something is wrong with your setup.

Omnislash
Seriously Active at Cybdyn Systems
I am a: Computer science engineer

Post by Omnislash » December 21st, 2020, 9:29 pm

Is it the original version or the international one ?
Anyway one could try to convert their ntsc save to a japanese one through MemCardRex. I've successfully done it for converting PAL saves to their NTSC-U counterpart, but I don't know if it would work if conveting to japanese saves.
iirc there are only hiragana and katakana characters available for character names, I'm not sure the game would read a ntsc save file correctly unless the character encoding still leads to something consistent, still worth trying as a time saver imo

Takehaniyasubiko
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1002

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » December 21st, 2020, 10:11 pm

mrblair1, what is the MD5 of your disc image?
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, an afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four, five times more, perhaps not even that."
- Paul Bowles

Omnislash

Post by Omnislash » December 21st, 2020, 11:14 pm

Ok so I converted my NTSC-U save to NTSC-J and it works well. As expected, the hiragana/katakana encoding is completely different yet it doesn't crash as my character names still seem to be in the right range. I will put it on my PS1 memorycard and test right now on the japanese international version (redump verified).

Omnislash

Post by Omnislash » December 21st, 2020, 11:27 pm

Cannot reproduce on a japanese PU-20 board.
I'm using the FF7 International version (japanese) disc 3, with a converted save from NTSC-U.
I can enter Junon from the world map without any issue.

I guess either your dump hash is incorrect, or you are using the original version instead of international (which I can also test if needed), or maybe it's a specific bug tied to the events upon entering Junon on disc 1 for the first time.

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » December 21st, 2020, 11:58 pm

OP, share your MD5 and tell us when exactly this bug occurs for you: is it always when entering Junon or only during a specific event?
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, an afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four, five times more, perhaps not even that."
- Paul Bowles

mrblair1
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by mrblair1 » December 22nd, 2020, 4:46 am

I really don't know what MD5 is.

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » December 22nd, 2020, 5:23 am

It's just the checksum of the image. There are tons of free tools to check it on both Windows and Linux. You need to verify if your disc image has the same MD5 as Redump.
- Paul Bowles

Omnislash

Post by Omnislash » December 22nd, 2020, 5:35 am

mrblair1 wrote: December 22nd, 2020, 4:46 am I really don't know what MD5 is.
It's a hash function. Hash functions, which given any input, provide an almost "unique" output (collisions, meaning two or more inputs having the same output, do exist, but are extremely rare). A small variation of the input (let it just be 1 bit of data) produces a completely different output with these hashing functions.
There are tons of hash functions, but at its core this is what it should mathematically verify to be useful. It has tons of application in security (HMAC, modes for some cryptographic algorithms, signature verifications...). Thus, they are the good candidates to provide a checksum of anything, just to make sure we have every correct bit of the data.

Here on the redump page of Final Fantasy VII international version disc 1 (japan) you can clearly see the output of various hash functions for the game :

On windows you can simply use certutil (it's shipped with the OS), in a command prompt (either cmd or powershell) like so :

Code: Select all

certutil -hashfile PATH_TO_BIN_FILE md5
Here's my result for that Final Fantasy VII international version disc 1 :
Last edited by Omnislash on December 22nd, 2020, 5:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

mrblair1
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by mrblair1 » December 22nd, 2020, 5:49 am

The bug happens when entering Junon. I'm on the 1st disc. It happens everytime.

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » December 22nd, 2020, 6:00 am

You need to give us your MD5 checksum because it's very likely your disc image is the problem here. Makes no sense to test this blindly.
- Paul Bowles

wanderer
Lives in the Cybdyn Systems Server
I am a: wanderer
PlayStation Model: scph-1002

Post by wanderer » December 22nd, 2020, 6:13 am

You can use the software called 'WinMD5' to get the checksum of your Final Fantasy VII .bin file. Then you can compare it with the one you see on redump.org for that game, if they are the same then your image is good, if not your image is corrupted/altered.

Edit : just post your MD5 checksum here and we will tell you if your .bin file image is good.

mrblair1
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by mrblair1 » December 22nd, 2020, 7:10 am

My image is alright because I've tried it with a burnt copy of it and the town loads.

whitezombie

Post by whitezombie » December 22nd, 2020, 7:24 am

I know this report is for the Japanese version but the NA version work with no problems. I had a 11 1/2 hour save on disc 1 right outside of Junon. No issues entering the town for the first time, or exiting, and re-entering.

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » December 22nd, 2020, 7:39 am

mrblair1 wrote: December 22nd, 2020, 7:10 amMy image is alright because I've tried it with a burnt copy of it and the town loads.
You still need to give us your MD5 because we need to know what disc image to test. Finding the MD5 checksum takes about a minute. If you can burn a disc image, you can verify its MD5. It's a much simpler process, actually.
- Paul Bowles