PSIO Development Discussion Thread

Official Development, Research and Progress directly from Cybdyn Systems
Forum rules
This section is for development news, research, bug fixes, progress, changes and information in regards to PSIO directly posted from Cybdyn Systems. Do not post any questions here relating to your order as they will be deleted. Instead, please go back and create a new post in the "Help and Support" forum. Thanks.
James-F
/// CYBDYN SYSTEMS ELITE ///

Re: PSIO Development Discussion Thread

Post by James-F » June 8th, 2020, 11:40 pm

Last edited by James-F on June 30th, 2020, 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SCPH-7000 (x2), SCPH-7501, SCPH-101, SCPH-102

Takehaniyasubiko
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1002

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » June 8th, 2020, 11:47 pm

James-F wrote: June 8th, 2020, 11:40 pmPoint is, I think CybDyn can achieve accurate CD Controller emulation without decapping anything.
Yeah. I even saw Dr. Hell writing that if PSIO is only doing the CD-ROM, then it's a breeze in comparison to the rest of the PS1 chips.
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, an afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four, five times more, perhaps not even that."
- Paul Bowles

James-F

Post by James-F » June 9th, 2020, 1:03 am

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » June 9th, 2020, 1:05 am

James-F wrote: June 9th, 2020, 1:03 amCybdyn at it since 2012... I wouldn't say it's a breeze. :P
Imagine if they had to re-create an entire PS1 in FPGA.

The CD-ROM is probably the least complicated part of PS1, obviously with with the exception of the controller port and PSU.

But for a small company like Cybdyn, it's still a challenge just to crack the CD-ROM 100%. byuu was very lucky that Dr. Decapitator basically didn't charge him.
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, an afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four, five times more, perhaps not even that."
- Paul Bowles

kikujade
Lives in the Cybdyn Systems Server

Post by kikujade » June 9th, 2020, 1:12 am

Matt wrote: June 8th, 2020, 5:09 pm The new update is almost ready to be released to the public. We're just fixing some final bugs in the ATV logic (they are currently crossed, so the LEFT channel comes out of the RIGHT channel (and vice versa)). We should have it good to go by this week :dance

This test program was made to fix the ATV issues as well as get started on figuring out how the SPU RAM is contained for games like Vib Ribbon and Crash Team Racing (etc).

Emulators that do not work right from my tests are ePSXe, NO$PSX, PSXFIN, PSXEven, PCSX Reloaded, PCSX ReArmed and Mednafen. The only emulator that works 100% correct with it is XEBRA. I am actually shocked at how accurate XEBRA is. I honestly think the programmer for the emulator is an ex-Sony engineer or he has managed to get his hands on engineering documentation for the PlayStation hardware.

PSIO should hopefully be working with full SPU RAM decoding soon too, bringing the compatibility up to 99.9% 8-)
Then, the final broken game for us to tackle would just be 'Jackie Chan: Stuntmaster [NTSC]'.

Xebra's author is japanese. I have the belief that the japanese have super powers.

kikujade

Post by kikujade » June 9th, 2020, 1:15 am

James-F wrote: June 8th, 2020, 10:57 pm Even if it is done empirically with assistance tools like the above, results can be very accurate.
There are plenty of test roms written for SNES by byuu, blargg and many other to test DMA and HDMA behavior externally,, way before Kevtris decapped the chips for Super NT.
If CybDyn can confirm Xebra is accurate without decapping the chips, that means the PSIO is at least as accurate in comparison.
Kevtris decapped chips? according to interviews, he reversed engineer everything with an oscilloscope and a logic analyzer (I could be wrong on the name of the tools, please correct me if needed). Unless I am missing something?

kikujade

Post by kikujade » June 9th, 2020, 1:19 am

Takehaniyasubiko wrote: June 9th, 2020, 1:05 am
James-F wrote: June 9th, 2020, 1:03 amCybDyn at it since 2012... I wouldn't say it's a breeze. :P
Imagine if they had to re-create an entire PS1 in FPGA.

The CD-ROM is probably the least complicated part of PS1, obviously with with the exception of the controller port and PSU.

But for a small company like CybDyn, it's still a challenge just to crack the CD-ROM 100%. byuu was very lucky that Dr. Decapitator basically didn't charge him.
This is off topic, but since you mentioned "re-create an entire PS1 in FPGA": https://twitter.com/Laxer3A/status/1267 ... 32864?s=20

https://www.patreon.com/posts/quicker-update-37727003

fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 » June 9th, 2020, 1:31 am

kikujade wrote: June 9th, 2020, 1:15 am Kevtris decapped chips? according to interviews, he reversed engineer everything with an oscilloscope and a logic analyzer (I could be wrong on the name of the tools, please correct me if needed). Unless I am missing something?
All of his FPGA cores are based only on logic analyzer results, correct, plus any other documentation available.
kikujade wrote: June 9th, 2020, 1:19 am This is off topic, but since you mentioned "re-create an entire PS1 in FPGA": https://twitter.com/Laxer3A/status/1267 ... 32864?s=20
Yes, it's an interesting project too. Something useable may be ready in a couple of years. I suggested earlier that Cybdyn could get in touch with Laxer3A, but it sounds like it's not really needed anymore :)

kikujade

Post by kikujade » June 9th, 2020, 2:28 am

fernan1234 wrote: June 9th, 2020, 1:31 am
kikujade wrote: June 9th, 2020, 1:15 am Kevtris decapped chips? according to interviews, he reversed engineer everything with an oscilloscope and a logic analyzer (I could be wrong on the name of the tools, please correct me if needed). Unless I am missing something?
All of his FPGA cores are based only on logic analyzer results, correct, plus any other documentation available.
kikujade wrote: June 9th, 2020, 1:19 am This is off topic, but since you mentioned "re-create an entire PS1 in FPGA": https://twitter.com/Laxer3A/status/1267 ... 32864?s=20
Yes, it's an interesting project too. Something useable may be ready in a couple of years. I suggested earlier that Cybdyn could get in touch with Laxer3A, but it sounds like it's not really needed anymore :)
Actually I did the opposite, I suggested Laxer3A to get in touch with Matt, as he seemed to be in development hell with the SPU, I figured they could help each other, but hey, it's not needed after all :dance

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » June 9th, 2020, 2:29 am

kikujade wrote: June 9th, 2020, 1:19 amThis is off topic, but since you mentioned "re-create an entire PS1 in FPGA": https://twitter.com/Laxer3A/status/1267 ... 32864?s=20

He's not doing the whole PS1 in FPGA. ARM is emulating some key things, like the MIPS CPU.
- Paul Bowles

wanderer
I am a: wanderer
PlayStation Model: scph-1002

Post by wanderer » June 9th, 2020, 9:31 am

Matt, just out curiosity, what's on your roadmap after fixing Jackie Chan Stuntmaster and the SPU games ? What do you plan to do after that?

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
I am a: Systems Designer
PlayStation Model: H2700/5502

Post by Matt » June 9th, 2020, 11:03 am

- The ability to write to the SD Card from the Menu System.
- Memory Card support (to backup and copy saves).
- Fixing up the USB protocol for the Systems Console.
- Add support for loading PS-EXE's and reading/writing directly to the PlayStation's RAM.
- Add full debugging support to the Systems Console for the PlayStation.
- Game Shark cheat manager in the Menu System.

Jaggy
Seriously Active at Cybdyn Systems
Seriously Active at Cybdyn Systems
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1001

Post by Jaggy » June 9th, 2020, 11:15 am

Matt wrote: June 9th, 2020, 11:03 am - The ability to write to the SD Card from the Menu System.
- Add support for loading PS-EXE's and reading/writing directly to the PlayStation's RAM.
Cool! Would any of the development oriented features enable the loading of Net Yaroze games?

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
I am a: Systems Designer
PlayStation Model: H2700/5502

Post by Matt » June 9th, 2020, 11:16 am

Yes, you'll be able to load the MIPSEL ECOFF format and load the files using the AUTO script to PSIO.

Drunk_Caterpillar
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by Drunk_Caterpillar » June 9th, 2020, 11:53 am

This is so rad. Can't wait. :)

Squaresoft74
PlayStation Model: SCPH-7502

Post by Squaresoft74 » June 9th, 2020, 1:47 pm

Matt wrote: June 9th, 2020, 11:03 am - Add support for loading PS-EXE's and reading/writing directly to the PlayStation's RAM.
Would finaly turn my PSIO into what i bought it for. :)

James-F

Post by James-F » June 9th, 2020, 4:55 pm

wanderer
I am a: wanderer
PlayStation Model: scph-1002

Post by wanderer » June 9th, 2020, 6:12 pm

Matt wrote: June 9th, 2020, 11:03 am - The ability to write to the SD Card from the Menu System.
This is looking good :)
Can't wait for all this to come to a fruition.
Keep up the good work Matt.

kikujade

Post by kikujade » June 9th, 2020, 11:39 pm

Takehaniyasubiko wrote: June 9th, 2020, 2:29 am
kikujade wrote: June 9th, 2020, 1:19 amThis is off topic, but since you mentioned "re-create an entire PS1 in FPGA": https://twitter.com/Laxer3A/status/1267 ... 32864?s=20

He's not doing the whole PS1 in FPGA. ARM is emulating some key things, like the MIPS CPU.
Only the CD-Rom, the MIPS CPU and everything else will be implemented on FPGA:

https://twitter.com/Laxer3A/status/1270 ... 73025?s=19

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » June 10th, 2020, 12:00 am

kikujade wrote: June 9th, 2020, 11:39 pmOnly the CD-Rom, the MIPS CPU and everything else will be implemented on FPGA:

https://twitter.com/Laxer3A/status/1270 ... 73025?s=19
The he changed the plans recently.

Good luck to him. He's going to need it. If he thinks this will be a breeze, there's some hard reality coming his way once people start testing all the commercial games for PS1.
- Paul Bowles