Spyro 3 PAL Libcrypt\100% Crack fix.

Old bug reports which are fixed and/or outdated
krisk77
/// CYBDYN SYSTEMS ELITE ///

Spyro 3 PAL Libcrypt\100% Crack fix.

Post by krisk77 » May 9th, 2020, 6:33 pm

Isn't this 100% crack fix by paradox supposed to remove all copy protection and make the game playable , without the piracy warning in-game and other screw up's like deleting saves, collected eggs disappearing, etc?

I know their first crack didn't remove it all, yet they released another one, which supposedly worked (NFO file seems to confirm that).

I patched it this morning, loaded it up, PDX trainer menu appears, selected no trainers and played about 30 mins of it and then recieved the infamous message that appears after talking to one of the characters:

"Sorry Spyro, you seem to playing a hacked version of this game"....etc, etc.

This is from a verified redump PAL image (vanilla copy) not the re-released one, which fixed the speedway bug, since the PPF patch only works on the original release.

Did anyone test this 100% crack back in the day on cd-r disc? Or PSIO?

Attachments
Screenshot_20200509-083416_Gallery.jpg
(551.88 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Screenshot_20200509-083410_Gallery.jpg
(463.86 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Takehaniyasubiko
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1002

Re: Spyro 3 PAL Libcrypt\100% Crack fix.

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » May 9th, 2020, 8:22 pm

AFAIK, there was no truly working crack for Spyro 3 PAL back in the day.

Maybe something new was created in recent years. I never checked because I won't play the PAL version either way.
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, an afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four, five times more, perhaps not even that."
- Paul Bowles

wanderer
Lives in the Cybdyn Systems Server
I am a: wanderer
PlayStation Model: scph-1002

Post by wanderer » May 9th, 2020, 10:48 pm

I'm playing the PAL version of Spyro 3 too, you need the patch that says "PERFECT CRACK !!" on the PDX intro. Before that I had a Best Amiga Dominator patch and it would crash at some point when going through a teleporter. If you're using the right PDX patch for Spyro 3 that would mean for me that the PsNee modchip that I'm using is really stealthy compared to Mayumi v4.

krisk77

Post by krisk77 » May 10th, 2020, 12:09 am

wanderer wrote: May 9th, 2020, 10:48 pm I'm playing the PAL version of Spyro 3 too, you need the patch that says "PERFECT CRACK !!" on the PDX intro. Before that I had a Best Amiga Dominator patch and it would crash at some point when going through a teleporter. If you're using the right PDX patch for Spyro 3 that would mean for me that the PsNee modchip that I'm using is really stealthy compared to Mayumi v4.
I'am using the perfect crack (see my second screenshot of my TV with the PDX screen)

Also, mod chips are ignored by PSIO.

wanderer

Post by wanderer » May 10th, 2020, 1:31 am

Sorry I had not taken a look at your screenshots. The game seems to run fine for me although I've never been really far actually. What do you need to do in the game to get that message?

Edit :
krisk77 wrote: May 10th, 2020, 12:09 am Also, mod chips are ignored by PSIO.
They are ignored by PSIO, not by anti-mod games like Spyro 3.
I've been to the place where Zoe tells you that message but she's not there, do I need to do something before ?

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
I am a: Systems Designer
PlayStation Model: H2700/5502

Post by Matt » May 10th, 2020, 1:40 am

Try burning "Spyro 3 [PAL]" to a CD-R and then seeing if it triggers. If it does, then it's the patch or modchip and not PSIO. If it does not, then we'll need to check some code on our end to make sure the HC05 logic is sending the right data when Spyro 3 requests the ID and checks the counters.

Make sure your checksum (before the patch) matches ReDump too. Also, make sure the HC05 license in the PSIO options is on AUTO (or you can force it to PAL to be sure it's being set).

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » May 10th, 2020, 2:22 am

wanderer wrote: May 10th, 2020, 1:31 amThey are ignored by PSIO, not by anti-mod games like Spyro 3.
This. Spyro 3 will detect them.

Also, that Paradox crack doesn't work 100%.

To quote Icarus:

WayneK: I think they are referring to my tool “LCF” which printed the 16bit key of a libcrypt-protected game.

I wasn’t involved in Spyro but I remember that it used checksums heavily and manipulated game-flow to be unplayable.

Most of the libcrypt-protected games did not include checksums which could be cracked easily, like if you take a copy-locked Amiga game without additional protection. I once read an interview with Rob Northern who clearly stated that copy-lock itself is a basic system which can be cracked easily. Only the stuff which is added around it (i.e. checksums) makes it a better protection and this applies to libcrypt on ps1 aswell 🙂

Also, as far as I remember Spyro has never been cracked properly … ?
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, an afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four, five times more, perhaps not even that."
- Paul Bowles

krisk77

Post by krisk77 » May 10th, 2020, 3:29 am

Matt wrote: May 10th, 2020, 1:40 am Try burning "Spyro 3 [PAL]" to a CD-R and then seeing if it triggers. If it does, then it's the patch or modchip and not PSIO. If it does not, then we'll need to check some code on our end to make sure the HC05 logic is sending the right data when Spyro 3 requests the ID and checks the counters.

Make sure your checksum (before the patch) matches ReDump too. Also, make sure the HC05 license in the PSIO options is on AUTO (or you can force it to PAL to be sure it's being set).
Okay, i'll take a look and try what you mentioned and report back.

krisk77

Post by krisk77 » May 10th, 2020, 3:33 am

wanderer wrote: May 10th, 2020, 1:31 am Sorry I had not taken a look at your screenshots. The game seems to run fine for me although I've never been really far actually. What do you need to do in the game to get that message?

Edit :
krisk77 wrote: May 10th, 2020, 12:09 am Also, mod chips are ignored by PSIO.
They are ignored by PSIO, not by anti-mod games like Spyro 3.
I've been to the place where Zoe tells you that message but she's not there, do I need to do something before ?
Not sure exactly when she appears, as I never actually played it before. I spent about 20-30 mins or more maybe, freed Sheila, did a level were you use a skateboard to find the Squirrels and collected all the gems at very start of the first stage.

wanderer

Post by wanderer » May 10th, 2020, 3:56 am

Well... after completing the skateboard level and going back to that place she was there and she told me that my copy was hacked.
I'll try playing the game with epsxe later.

krisk77

Post by krisk77 » May 10th, 2020, 4:02 am

Matt wrote: May 10th, 2020, 1:40 am
Just a thought, i encountered this issue on my JP 7000. Would this happen to have occurred because of the way the Japanese BIOS behaves, as even with any mod chip, backups won't boot unless you patch in JP SCEI licence data, so even with HC05 on Auto with PSIO, which it is, would it somehow ignore this when Spyro 3 got a difference licence string returned back, if that makes sense?
Last edited by krisk77 on May 10th, 2020, 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

krisk77

Post by krisk77 » May 10th, 2020, 4:07 am

wanderer wrote: May 10th, 2020, 3:56 am Well... after completing the skateboard level and going back to that place she was there and she told me that my copy was hacked.
Thanks for confirming your side. Wonder what is causing this then. I have never seen 100% confirmation/proof of the perfect crack by PDX to not work properly, even 20 years ago.

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » May 10th, 2020, 4:17 am

krisk77 wrote: May 10th, 2020, 4:07 amThanks for confirming your side. Wonder what is causing this then. I have never seen 100% confirmation/proof of the perfect crack by PDX to not work properly, even 20 years ago.
Icarus is one of the people who cracked games back then. If he says it was never truly patched, I believe him.

I think a lot of people assume Spyro 3 PAL works after cracking because the game seems to work. That was the whole trick. It verifies checksums at various points and it will eventually fail.
Last edited by Takehaniyasubiko on May 10th, 2020, 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Paul Bowles

krisk77

Post by krisk77 » May 10th, 2020, 4:27 am

Takehaniyasubiko wrote: May 10th, 2020, 4:17 am

I think a lot of people assume Spyro 3 PAL works after cracking because the game seems to work. That was the whole trick. It verify checksums at various points and it will eventually fail.
I already knew this, since I remember the talk about it years ago and read a write up from one of the devs about how they implemented the checks. It was out of curiosity that I tried playing it for a bit to see if anything happened with a cracked copy on PSIO.

Jaggy
Seriously Active at Cybdyn Systems
Seriously Active at Cybdyn Systems
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1001

Post by Jaggy » May 10th, 2020, 4:59 am

Anyone know if the NTSC %100 fix works correctly (and is it even required with PSIO)?

I patched my version with this, but haven't gotten around to playing it yet. Redump says antimod but no libcrypt for this version.

I used the 1.0 iso as I'm assuming that's what was patched against, but if the fix is not required for PSIO then I'd prefer to use the later bugfixed version.

EDIT: I do have an old 5-pin non-stealth modchip in my system that I didn't bother removing, which might be an issue I suppose.

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » May 10th, 2020, 5:19 am

Jaggy wrote: May 10th, 2020, 4:59 am Anyone know if the NTSC %100 fix works correctly (and is it even required with PSIO)?
The NTSC version doesn't have LibCrypt.

You only need to make sure your modchip doesn't interfere with it, and use version 1.1 becasue 1.0 has a save bug which stops you from getting the eggs in the Speedway levels.
- Paul Bowles

butfluffy
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by butfluffy » May 10th, 2020, 12:54 pm

from what i gathered anti modchip games won't cause an issue with psio even if you have an old 4 wire chip still installed because psio ignores the chip. i tested this out with dino crisis and i did not get the piracy warning screen so figured anti modchip games should be fine with my setup.
libcrypt games on the other hand are quite different. they don't behave like anti mod games.
as was mentioned they do checks at certain places while playing the game. modchip or not. if you don't have libcrypt games patched or correct sub channel data for the game then you will have issues.
i'm thinking that spyro 3 usa v1.1 should work fine whether you have a modchip or not.
if it does not then the info regarding mod chips being ignored when using psio is in question i guess.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
I am a: Systems Designer
PlayStation Model: H2700/5502

Post by Matt » May 10th, 2020, 12:59 pm

Are you running the [PAL] version of Spyro on an [NTSC] PlayStation?

I say that because in Spyro 3, they could be doing a simple BIOS check. So, if the BIOS license string does not match the license on the disc or the HC05, then it will trigger the security. PSIO cannot alter the BIOS and I have only come across one game that does a BIOS check and it took me a few days to figure out why it was crashing on PSIO.

butfluffy wrote: May 10th, 2020, 12:54 pm from what i gathered anti modchip games won't cause an issue with psio even if you have an old 4 wire chip still installed because psio ignores the chip. i tested this out with dino crisis and i did not get the piracy warning screen so figured anti modchip games should be fine with my setup.
libcrypt games on the other hand are quite different. they don't behave like anti mod games.
as was mentioned they do checks at certain places while playing the game. modchip or not. if you don't have libcrypt games patched or correct sub channel data for the game then you will have issues.
i'm thinking that spyro 3 usa v1.1 should work fine whether you have a modchip or not.
if it does not then the info regarding mod chips being ignored when using psio is in question i guess.
Correct, PSIO does ignore modchips. One way to probably fix Spyro 3 on PSIO would be that we add support for the sub-channel (IE: *.SBI) data which CloneCD generally generates. This will also fix all LibCrypt games and patches would not be required :)

Once we add the ability to write to the SD Card, technically we could have a huge database of compressed sub-channel data inside the Menu System which would get extracted to the game directory automatically.

krisk77

Post by krisk77 » May 10th, 2020, 4:54 pm

Matt wrote: May 10th, 2020, 12:59 pm Are you running the [PAL] version of Spyro on an [NTSC] PlayStation?

I say that because in Spyro 3, they could be doing a simple BIOS check. So, if the BIOS license string does not match the license on the disc or the HC05, then it will trigger the security. PSIO cannot alter the BIOS and I have only come across one game that does a BIOS check and it took me a few days to figure out why it was crashing on PSIO.
Yes, on a JP SCPH-7000, which the anti-piracy message kicked in on. I do have a PAL console to try.

wanderer wrote: May 10th, 2020, 3:56 am Well... after completing the skateboard level and going back to that place she was there and she told me that my copy was hacked.
What region of console you using? Also, try setting the HC05 licence to SCEE in PSIO settings. I wiped the save, started a new game using SCEE setting, instead of Auto and the hacked game message from Zoe didn't happen, as she always shows up after doing the Skateboard challenge.

Matt wrote: May 10th, 2020, 12:59 pm
Correct, PSIO does ignore modchips. One way to probably fix Spyro 3 on PSIO would be that we add support for the sub-channel (IE: *.SBI) data which CloneCD generally generates. This will also fix all LibCrypt games and patches would not be required :)

Once we add the ability to write to the SD Card, technically we could have a huge database of compressed sub-channel data inside the Menu System which would get extracted to the game directory automatically.
How far off would that be to add SBI data support and SD card writes?
Last edited by krisk77 on May 10th, 2020, 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

krisk77

Post by krisk77 » May 10th, 2020, 8:32 pm

So far from further testing on my JP console. Setting the HC05 Licence to SCEE, instead of Auto, doesn't seem to trigger the hacked warning message. Tried it 3 times today, wiping the save each time and starting a new game and Zoe didn't appear explaining i'm using a hacked game.

Set it back to Auto again, started a new game and Zoe appeared again saying i have a hacked game.

She always shows up after doing tasks like collecting 300 Gems, freeing Sheila and completing the first Skateboard challenge (these are very early on and take like 10-15 mins or so to do from a new save) when the HC05 licence was set to Auto.