Final Fantasy VIII (USA) Disc 3: freeze during Lunatic Pandora cutscene

Old bug reports which are fixed and/or outdated
bikerspade
Seriously Active at Cybdyn Systems
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1001

Final Fantasy VIII (USA) Disc 3: freeze during Lunatic Pandora cutscene

Post by bikerspade » November 15th, 2021, 3:22 pm

The game froze up on me during the cutscene near the end of disc 3 when approaching Lunatic Pandora. See https://youtu.be/ca5xve7RWUY at time 1:46.

I have attached a clip showing the gameplay and video freezing while the audio continues to play at a slow rate.

I reset the system, reloaded the save, but it didn’t occur again.

I am using midboot, a redump-verified bin/cue, and on the latest official firmware.
Attachments
FullSizeRender.mov
(6.28 MiB) Downloaded 110 times

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
I am a: Systems Designer
PlayStation Model: H2700/5502

Re: Final Fantasy VIII (USA) Disc 3: freeze during Lunatic Pandora cutscene

Post by Matt » November 15th, 2021, 4:33 pm

If it didn't happen again and it cannot be recreated then we can't look into it because it's not a replicable issue.

Takehaniyasubiko
/// CYBDYN SYSTEMS ELITE ///
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1002

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » November 15th, 2021, 6:13 pm

It is a replicable issue because it will happen again eventually. I've already reported this months ago on the Discord channel. On the current public firmware, FFVIII (and other games) freeze at random, just like Wipeout XL.

The current public firmware is unstable.
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, an afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four, five times more, perhaps not even that."
- Paul Bowles

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
I am a: Systems Designer
PlayStation Model: H2700/5502

Post by Matt » November 15th, 2021, 10:02 pm

WipEout XL can be recreated easily however simply by leaving the game alone and letting it execute the demo modes. That's the difference. Anyway, the best thing to do is wait for the WipEout XL fix and that should resolve it (in theory).

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » November 15th, 2021, 10:14 pm

Matt wrote: November 15th, 2021, 10:02 pm WipEout XL can be recreated easily however simply by leaving the game alone and letting it execute the demo modes. That's the difference. Anyway, the best thing to do is wait for the WipEout XL fix and that should resolve it (in theory).
That's why game testing is hard work. You guys spend your time coding this stuff, which doesn't leave time to exhaustively test the games.

I do agree that the corruption of data in Wipeout XL is probably also happening in the other freezing game, so it all should be fixed once Wipeout XL stops freezing at random.
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, an afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four, five times more, perhaps not even that."
- Paul Bowles

bikerspade
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1001

Post by bikerspade » November 16th, 2021, 1:23 am

I have a memory card save file immediately before the point this freeze occurred, I'm not sure if that will be helpful since I couldn't recreate the freeze after reloading a couple times, but I'll try to upload it just in case.

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » November 16th, 2021, 2:10 am

bikerspade wrote: November 16th, 2021, 1:23 amI'm not sure if that will be helpful since I couldn't recreate the freeze after reloading a couple times, but I'll try to upload it just in case.
That's because, just like Wipeout XL, it freezes at random, although it's more likely to freeze if you played for more than 2 hours in one sitting.

Basically, the longer you play, the more likely it is to freeze. Seems like PSIO can corrupt buffer data from time to time.
- Paul Bowles