Die hard trilogy freezes if I use gun

Old bug reports which are fixed and/or outdated
Enzo1960

Die hard trilogy freezes if I use gun

Post by Enzo1960 » March 29th, 2019, 2:47 am

Hello!
I report a problem with PAL version of "Die hard trilogy".
If played with joypad it works, but if I use a gun (generic, this game doesn't accept Namco Guncom) it refuse to load level and freeze.
I tried to redump iso from original cd, that I own, same results.
Game runs ok if PSIO is connected and I launch original disc from PSIO menu, gun works and levels are loaded with no problem.
Obviously I'm usin a CRT scart tv to play it.
Which PSIO setting I can try to change that affect game?
Someone has reported similar issues with games played with different controllers (for istance using wheels in racing games)?

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
I am a: Systems Designer
PlayStation Model: H2700/5502

Re: Die hard trilogy freezes if I use gun

Post by Matt » March 29th, 2019, 3:21 am

Interesting. I'll be sure to take a look into this. I remember the game "Ace Combat" had some nasty controller bugs too. Anyway, this sounds like the well designed (*cough*) PlayStation 1 interrupt vector is causing issues again with the pre-loaded controller libraries not unloading correctly from the table. Most programmers back in the day had a nightmare of a time with this apparently. Sony didn't design it well.

I'll have to re-code the Menu System unloader from scratch. One technique I thought of is to directly overwrite the kernel with a clean copy of the table when you launch a game from the Menu System.

I've opened a JIRA case for this. Follow it here.

I'll get started on fixing it soon so it's ready for the next Menu System update.
Thanks for reporting it! I like working on issues like this :mrgreen:

Enzo1960

Post by Enzo1960 » March 29th, 2019, 4:14 am

Thank you very much, Matt!

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » April 30th, 2019, 11:14 pm

Okay, I've attempted a fix in Menu System V2.6.6. See if it fixes it (once it's been released publicly though) :)

Wagt65
PlayStation Model: SCPH-7502

Post by Wagt65 » May 15th, 2020, 12:28 am

Just got my Konami Hyper Blaster today and wanted to test it out with this game. When the gun is plugged in and the PSIO menu boots the background is grey instead of black (minor issue). Since the only way to interact with the gun within the menu seemed to be 2 buttons (Cross and Triangle?), I put Die Hard as the only game on the SD card.

Tested both NTSC-U and PAL version, the game boots fine and autoselects the shooter game mode (Die Hard 2). However, when the Die Hard 2 game mode is picked and I press Start, the game locks up. I tried Midboot, K1V4 and K1V2, but they all froze at the same moment of starting the game.

I used my original Die Hard disc and started the game with the same setup (gun in port 1, regular controller in port 2) and could play the game just fine. I got the latest firmware on my PSIO, yet this issue is not solved (or maybe it was solved and a later firmware brought it back :shrug )

Can you look into this?

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » May 15th, 2020, 12:50 am

There are not bugs. The background as grey is correct and so is the cross and triangle buttons.
As for the game freezing, probably best to wait for the next firmware update (IE: Menu System V2.6.13).

Wagt65
PlayStation Model: SCPH-7502

Post by Wagt65 » June 14th, 2020, 7:49 am

tl;dr = If you want to use the light gun while playing Die Hard Trilogy, disable fastboot and use K1V2 or K1V1 for the least issues. Connect the light gun to port 1 and a Playstation controller to port 2. Tested with success on Menu System V2.6.14.

Hardware:

PlayStation (SCPH-7502)
DualShock 2 (SCPH-10010) controller
Konami Hyper Blaster / Justifier lightgun controller
Official PS1 Memory Card
SanDisk Extreme Pro SDXC 128GB exFAT 256kb (Files on SD card: latest MENU.SYS, folders for Die Hard Trilogy Rev 1 NTSC, RE2 DS Disc 1 and 2)
SanDisk Ultra SDHC 32GB FAT32 default (Files on SD card: latest MENU.SYS, folders for Die Hard Trilogy Rev 1 NTSC, RE2 DS Disc 1 and 2)

Initial PSIO settings:

Video Mode [NTSC]
Sound Effects [On]
PlayStation Logo Popup [Off]
Background Music [Off]
Burn-in Timer [On]
Selection Bar Colour [Grey]
Japanese Navigation [No]
Show Filesizes [Off]
EXTDSP Mode [K1V4]
MC68HC705 License [AUTO]
Enable Fastboot [Yes]
Execution Mode [LoadExec]
DUAL SHOCK Vibration [On]
Enable Wallpaper [N/A]

32GB and 128GB | DualShock 2 plugged in port 1, Konami lightgun unplugged, power on Playstation, menu loads as it should. Starting Die Hard Trilogy through double cross leads to a black screen, as does using quick start. Pressing reset after the black screen and using any way of starting the game again (double cross AND quick start), the game will load. No issues when starting the Die Hard 2 game. Except that I can't use the lightgun.

32GB and 128GB | DualShock 2 plugged in port 1, Konami lightgun plugged in port 2, power on Playstation, menu loads as it should. Starting Die Hard Trilogy through double cross leads to a black screen, as does using quick start. Pressing reset after the black screen and using any way of starting the game again (double cross AND quick start), the game will load. No issues when starting the Die Hard 2 game. Except that I can't use the lightgun.

128GB | Konami lightgun plugged in port 1, DualShock 2 plugged in port 2, power on Playstation, menu freezes on 'System Loading'. After pressing the reset, the menu loads as it should. Die Hard Trilogy boots without a problem, maybe because of prior reset when the menu froze on loading. Die Hard 2 is automatically selected. Pulling the trigger twice to start the game leads to a freeze (as soon as Play Game is selected).

32GB | Konami lightgun plugged in port 1, DualShock 2 plugged in port 2, power on Playstation, menu loads as it should. Tried booting Die Hard Trilogy through lightgun, but it freezes when I attempt to do so. After a reset, the game boots and automatically selects Die Hard 2. Pulling the trigger twice to start the game leads to a freeze (as soon as Play Game is selected).

128GB | Konami lightgun plugged in port 1, DualShock 2 unplugged, power on Playstation, menu loads at it should. Tried booting Die Hard Trilogy through lightgun, but it freezes when I attempt to do so. After a reset, the game boots and automatically selects Die Hard 2. Pulling the trigger twice to start the game leads to a freeze (as soon as Play Game is selected).

32GB | Konami lightgun plugged in port 1, DualShock 2 unplugged, power on Playstation, menu freezes on 'System Loading'. After pressing reset the menu continues to freeze at 'System Loading'.

!Change in PSIO settings! Fastboot disabled, execution mode remains K1V4. Running these tests again gives me these results:

32GB and 128GB | DualShock 2 plugged in port 1, Konami lightgun unplugged, power on Playstation, menu loads as it should. Starting Die Hard Trilogy without any problems. No issues when starting the Die Hard 2 game. Except that I can't use the lightgun.

32GB and 128GB | DualShock 2 plugged in port 1, Konami lightgun plugged in port 2, power on Playstation, menu loads as it should. Starting Die Hard Trilogy without any problems. No issues when starting the Die Hard 2 game. Except that I can't use the lightgun.

32GB and 128GB | Konami lightgun plugged in port 1, DualShock 2 plugged in port 2, power on Playstation, menu loads as it should. Starting Die Hard Trilogy without any problems. Die Hard 2 is automatically selected. Pulling the trigger twice to start the game leads to a freeze (as soon as Play Game is selected).

128GB | Konami lightgun plugged in port 1, DualShock 2 unplugged, power on Playstation, menu loads as it should. Starting Die Hard Trilogy without any problems. Die Hard 2 is automatically selected. Pulling the trigger twice to start the game leads to a freeze (as soon as Play Game is selected).

32GB | Konami lightgun plugged in port 1, DualShock 2 unplugged, power on Playstation, menu freezes on 'System Loading'. After pressing reset the menu continues to freeze at 'System Loading'.

!Change in PSIO settings! Fastboot remains disabled, execution mode changes to Midboot. Running these tests again gives me these results:

32GB and 128GB | DualShock 2 plugged in port 1, Konami lightgun unplugged, power on Playstation, menu loads as it should. Starting Die Hard Trilogy without any problems. No issues when starting the Die Hard 2 game. Except that I can't use the lightgun.

32GB and 128GB | DualShock 2 plugged in port 1, Konami lightgun plugged in port 2, power on Playstation, menu loads as it should. Starting Die Hard Trilogy without any problems. No issues when starting the Die Hard 2 game. Except that I can't use the lightgun.

32GB and 128GB | Konami lightgun plugged in port 1, DualShock 2 plugged in port 2, power on Playstation, menu loads as it should. Starting Die Hard Trilogy without any problems. Die Hard 2 is automatically selected. Pulling the trigger twice to start the game leads to a freeze (as soon as Play Game is selected).

128GB | Konami lightgun plugged in port 1, DualShock 2 unplugged, power on Playstation, menu loads as it should. Starting Die Hard Trilogy without any problems. Die Hard 2 is automatically selected. Pulling the trigger twice to start the game leads to a freeze (as soon as Play Game is selected).

!Change in PSIO settings! Fastboot enabled, execution mode remains Midboot. Running these tests again gives me these results:

128GB | Konami lightgun plugged in port 1, DualShock 2 unplugged, power on Playstation, menu freezes on 'System Loading'. After pressing the reset, the menu loads as it should. Die Hard Trilogy boots without a problem, maybe because of prior reset when the menu froze on loading. Die Hard 2 is automatically selected. Pulling the trigger twice to start the game leads to a freeze (as soon as Play Game is selected).

!Change in PSIO settings! Fastboot remains enabled, execution mode changes to K1V2. Running these tests again gives me these results:

128GB | Konami lightgun plugged in port 1, DualShock 2 plugged in port 2, power on Playstation, menu freezes on 'System Loading'. After pressing the reset, the menu loads as it should. Die Hard Trilogy boots without a problem, maybe because of prior reset when the menu froze on loading. Die Hard 2 is automatically selected. Pulling the trigger twice to start the game leads to the game actually starting! :dance

32GB | Konami lightgun plugged in port 1, DualShock 2 plugged in port 2, power on Playstation, menu loads as it should. Starting Die Hard Trilogy without any problems. Die Hard 2 is automatically selected. Pulling the trigger twice to start the game leads to a freeze (as soon as Play Game is selected).

128GB | Konami lightgun plugged in port 1, DualShock 2 unplugged, power on Playstation, menu freezes on 'System Loading'. After pressing the reset, the menu loads as it should. Die Hard Trilogy boots without a problem, maybe because of prior reset when the menu froze on loading. Die Hard 2 is automatically selected. Pulling the trigger twice to start the game leads to the game actually starting! :dance

!Change in PSIO settings! Fastboot disabled, execution mode remains K1V2. Running these tests again gives me these results:

32GB and 128GB | Konami lightgun plugged in port 1, DualShock 2 plugged in port 2, power on Playstation, menu loads as it should. Starting Die Hard Trilogy without any problems. Die Hard 2 is automatically selected. Pulling the trigger twice to start the game leads to the game actually starting! :dance

128GB | Konami lightgun plugged in port 1, DualShock 2 unplugged, power on Playstation, menu loads as it should. Starting Die Hard Trilogy without any problems. Die Hard 2 is automatically selected. Pulling the trigger twice to start the game leads to the game actually starting! :dance

!Change in PSIO settings! Fastboot remains disabled, execution mode changes to K1V1. Running these tests again gives me these results:

32GB and 128GB | DualShock 2 plugged in port 1, Konami lightgun plugged in port 2, power on Playstation, menu loads as it should. No issues when starting the Die Hard 2 game. Except that I can't use the lightgun.

32GB and 128GB | Konami lightgun plugged in port 1, DualShock 2 plugged in port 2, power on Playstation, menu loads as it should. Starting Die Hard Trilogy without any problems. Die Hard 2 is automatically selected. Pulling the trigger twice to start the game leads to the game actually starting! :dance

128GB | Konami lightgun plugged in port 1, DualShock 2 unplugged, power on Playstation, menu loads as it should. Starting Die Hard Trilogy without any problems. Die Hard 2 is automatically selected. Pulling the trigger twice to start the game leads to the game actually starting! :dance

!Change in PSIO settings! Fastboot enabled, execution mode remains K1V1. Running these tests again gives me these results:

32GB and 128GB | DualShock 2 plugged in port 1, Konami lightgun plugged in port 2, power on Playstation, menu loads as it should. No issues when starting the Die Hard 2 game. Except that I can't use the lightgun.

32GB | Konami lightgun plugged in port 1, DualShock 2 plugged in port 2, power on Playstation, menu loads as it should. Starting Die Hard Trilogy without any problems. Die Hard 2 is automatically selected. Pulling the trigger twice to start the game leads to the game actually starting! :dance

128GB | Konami lightgun plugged in port 1, DualShock 2 plugged in port 2, power on Playstation, menu freezes on 'System Loading'. After pressing reset the menu continues to freeze at 'System Loading'.

128GB | Konami lightgun plugged in port 1, DualShock 2 unplugged, power on Playstation, menu freezes on 'System Loading'. After pressing the reset, the menu loads as it should. Die Hard Trilogy boots without a problem, maybe because of prior reset when the menu froze on loading. Die Hard 2 is automatically selected. Pulling the trigger twice to start the game leads to the game actually starting! :dance

!Change in PSIO settings! Fastboot remains enabled, execution mode changes to K1V3. Running these tests again gives me these results:

128GB | Konami lightgun plugged in port 1, DualShock 2 plugged in port 2, power on Playstation, menu freezes on 'System Loading'. After pressing the reset, the menu loads as it should. Die Hard Trilogy boots without a problem, maybe because of prior reset when the menu froze on loading. Die Hard 2 is automatically selected. Pulling the trigger twice to start the game leads to a freeze (as soon as Play Game is selected).

32GB | Konami lightgun plugged in port 1, DualShock 2 plugged in port 2, power on Playstation, menu loads as it should. Starting Die Hard Trilogy without any problems. Die Hard 2 is automatically selected. Pulling the trigger twice to start the game leads to a freeze (as soon as Play Game is selected).

128GB | Konami lightgun plugged in port 1, DualShock 2 unplugged, power on Playstation, menu freezes on 'System Loading'. After pressing the reset, the menu loads as it should. Die Hard Trilogy boots without a problem, maybe because of prior reset when the menu froze on loading. Die Hard 2 is automatically selected. Pulling the trigger twice to start the game leads to a freeze (as soon as Play Game is selected).

!Change in PSIO settings: Fastboot disabled, execution mode remains K1V3. Running these tests again gives me these results:

Takehaniyasubiko
/// CYBDYN SYSTEMS ELITE ///
/// CYBDYN SYSTEMS ELITE ///
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1002

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » June 14th, 2020, 7:53 am

@Wagt65: You should save your time and wait for the next update as 2.6.14 has a critical bug causing a lot of freezes (some of which are actually random).
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, an afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four, five times more, perhaps not even that."
- Paul Bowles

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » June 14th, 2020, 2:16 pm

These all sound like the Sony lightgun library causing problems. I still do need to re-code the lightgun section using a different library, so I'll do that in the next update.

Tobiasrieper
Lives in the Cybdyn Systems Server
Lives in the Cybdyn Systems Server

Post by Tobiasrieper » June 27th, 2020, 3:58 am

Hey guys I've posted this before but in regards to lightgun games Die Hard Trilogy and Lethal Enforcers do not work in Midboot just K1V2 (NTSC Version)

Renaissance 2K
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by Renaissance 2K » August 9th, 2020, 4:25 pm

Matt wrote: June 14th, 2020, 2:16 pm These all sound like the Sony lightgun library causing problems. I still do need to re-code the lightgun section using a different library, so I'll do that in the next update.
Are GunCon games affected by this as well? I loaded up Time Crisis with a gun this past week, and the character models were missing a huge chunk of their polygons.

Wasn't thinking straight or I would have grabbed some screen captures. I'll do that this week.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » August 9th, 2020, 7:00 pm

Use Midboot as the EXTDSP mode for Time Crisis.

iggy_poop

Post by iggy_poop » August 9th, 2020, 11:04 pm

Attempting a fix and not testing it before a release sounds like bad practice. Sounds like the kind of practice that has caused the decline in PSIO's public perception.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » August 10th, 2020, 12:14 pm

iggy_poop wrote: August 9th, 2020, 11:04 pm Attempting a fix and not testing it before a release sounds like bad practice. Sounds like the kind of practice that has caused the decline in PSIO's public perception.
What do you mean? Time Crisis was fixed and it now works.

Enzo1960

Post by Enzo1960 » January 13th, 2021, 7:06 am

I confirm that Pal version of Die Hard still doesn't work with gun.
However now game doesn't freeze immediately,as before, but at beginning of "airport" level.
With joypad game runs normally. Pay attention that this game doesn't use Guncon,but previous generic gun (Madcats for example).

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » January 13th, 2021, 9:08 am

What EXTDSP mode are you using? Are you also using the latest Menu System??

Enzo1960

Post by Enzo1960 » January 14th, 2021, 7:37 am

I’m using last menu system. I leaved other settings untouched because I see that with joypad game runs without problem. If you think it could affect, I can try all options available and let you know results.

Enzo1960

Post by Enzo1960 » January 14th, 2021, 7:42 pm

I checked just now: Game uses EXTDSP MODE: N/A [Midboot]
No way to change.

mRmo
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by mRmo » January 14th, 2021, 9:26 pm

i had problems on standard playstation with this game. i had to first choose die hard 2 with controller unplug. plug in gun in loading for it to work with gun so it found the gun

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » January 14th, 2021, 9:38 pm

Enzo1960 wrote: January 14th, 2021, 7:42 pm I checked just now: Game uses EXTDSP MODE: N/A [Midboot]
No way to change.
Change it to LoadExec and then try K1V1 and K1V3.