Official DCIO News and Development Thread

Hastor
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Re: Official DCIO News and Development Thread

Post by Hastor » April 19th, 2020, 5:15 am

I'm interested in checking out all solutions. I'm not one of the richest gamers, but it is pretty much all I spend what money I do have on. My couch is falling apart lol. I'll probably check out both. Or all three counting both consoles.

Takehaniyasubiko
/// CYBDYN SYSTEMS ELITE ///
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1002

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » April 19th, 2020, 6:46 am

FBX wrote:
April 19th, 2020, 5:01 am
The price does include shipping last I heard. And 200 isn't expensive as hell for what you get (SATA port, USB port, microSD port, built-in GUI that is easy to use and doesn't require a separate app with hacks, etc.). At least not in my opinion.
Yeah, but just looking at all the hardware and expensive mods you have, you clearly classify as the rich segment. We're not talking about Bezoses of the world here. A rich gamer is not a billionaire, or even a multi-millionaire since those people are absurdly rich and buy yachts, not consoles. ;)

Also, the price does not include neither shipping nor import taxes (it only includes a local tax of the company).

Attachments
Screenshot_2020-04-18 Terraonion MODE - Dreamcast Saturn ODE.png
(4.84 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Screenshot_2020-04-18 Terraonion.png
(11.04 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, an afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four, five times more, perhaps not even that.
― Paul Bowles

connrrr
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by connrrr » April 19th, 2020, 2:39 pm

It is pretty fucking expensive, and it doesn't preserve the drive functionality. I'd rather wait and see how the DCIO and Satiator turn out.

Greg2600
Seriously Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by Greg2600 » April 19th, 2020, 3:02 pm

Terraonion produce high-end products, so that's the buyer they shoot for. There are other cheaper solutions as we all know. They're not a "retail/professional" product in quite the same way. You will get something in a nice box, that looks nice, with a great GUI menu, and high compatibility. I've been impressed with their Mega SD and Super SD System 3. I'm not scared off by the price but that's just me. I paid a ton for the USB GD-ROM and GD EMU many years ago, and they were board only with limitations and awful menus.

That it runs on both Saturn and Dreamcast makes it much easier for Terraonion. They can produce them much cheaper, since it's the same product on both. The cost of the extra connectors and flat drive cables is maybe 5% over what it cost them to begin with. It also makes firmware changes that much easier.

In terms of drive functionality, there's no other choice with Dreamcast. Will there ever be a product that doesn't replace the drive? I understand DCIO might do that, but again, that there is a cost that the other homebrewers haven't felt made sense to do. I want the Satiator, but my gosh that guy is the slowest homebrewer there's ever been, and one after the other, competing products have or will hit the market as he takes his sweet old time. I definitely want the MODE for my DC, Saturn probably not.
Last edited by Greg2600 on April 21st, 2020, 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Takehaniyasubiko
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1002

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » April 19th, 2020, 3:08 pm

Greg2600 wrote:
April 19th, 2020, 3:02 pm
(...) and high compatibility.
True 100% compatibly with all commercial games for both systems according to their official statements, actually.
Greg2600 wrote:
April 19th, 2020, 3:02 pm
I want the Satiator, but my gosh that guy is the slowest homebrewer there's ever been (...)
To be honest, it feels like he's doing it for himself, his little pet-project. I'm not even sure he will actually release it to the public after this new toy from Terraonion.
Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, an afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four, five times more, perhaps not even that.
― Paul Bowles

Listai
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by Listai » April 19th, 2020, 6:52 pm

Takehaniyasubiko wrote:
April 19th, 2020, 3:08 pm
To be honest, it feels like he's doing it for himself, his little pet-project. I'm not even sure he will actually release it to the public after this new toy from Terraonion.
Take this with a grain of salt but I'm a patron and he updated a couple of weeks ago that he's moving forward with production - but some of the process takes place in the US so he's ordering out of his own pocket first and not taking pre-orders because he doesn't want to take people's money if there are going to be considerable COVID19 related delays.

For all the shade he gets what Prof Abrasive has achieved is incredible - a drop in plug and play ODE that preserves the optical drive and requires no modification of the console, the impressions from beta units have been very good. I'm interested to see what the price is though - I'm hoping it is similar to the PSIO which I think is fairly priced. If he manages to pull that off I don't really see how the MODE can be considered a superior alternative. Also like the PSIO it's an Aussie product so I want to support it out of principle.

The MODE seems over-engineered to me, especially the trifecta of storage options. I don't know how that got past the drawing board.

fille1976
Lives in the Cybdyn Systems Server

Post by fille1976 » April 19th, 2020, 7:29 pm

Terraonion make top products,their hardware is top notch as their software for it.
I buyed 2 of them,so i can sell my usb gdrom-gdemu and rhea.
I own every card from TO,its quality,and quality costs money,thats with everything.
Satiator looks great,but mode gona take a lot of his customers.

fille1976

Post by fille1976 » April 19th, 2020, 7:35 pm

Listai wrote:
April 19th, 2020, 6:52 pm
Takehaniyasubiko wrote:
April 19th, 2020, 3:08 pm
Take this with a grain of salt but I'm a patron and he updated a couple of weeks ago that he's moving forward with production - but some of the process takes place in the US so he's ordering out of his own pocket first and not taking pre-orders because he doesn't want to take people's money if there are going to be considerable COVID19 related delays.

For all the shade he gets what Prof Abrasive has achieved is incredible - a drop in plug and play ODE that preserves the optical drive and requires no modification of the console, the impressions from beta units have been very good. I'm interested to see what the price is though - I'm hoping it is similar to the PSIO which I think is fairly priced. If he manages to pull that off I don't really see how the MODE can be considered a superior alternative. Also like the PSIO it's an Aussie product so I want to support it out of principle.

The MODE seems over-engineered to me, especially the trifecta of storage options. I don't know how that got past the drawing board.

Just follow the rhea-phoebe on deunan's board,and youll know why its have so much connectors.
Its cause many people doesn't known a fuck about the inside of consoles.
Its as simple as looking and count your drive pins,and thats for most of the part the problem.
I have deunan's products from the begin,but what i saw on his board before and after his selling rounds is unbelievable.
Much drama from:where is my product till i have order the wrong 1,and then all the other problems.
So its a good decision that TO makes a board with many connections for those that are not handy with electronics.

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » April 21st, 2020, 9:39 am

Listai wrote:
April 19th, 2020, 6:52 pm

I remain hopeful Satiator arrives this summer. As for MODE, it allows for mass storage like SSD and eSATA drives, which is what people have been asking for. Yes using microSD are easier to get at, but they're still not big enough in capacity, and I myself continue to have issues where I need to reformat the SD card and reload GB's of data.

Listai
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by Listai » April 21st, 2020, 6:24 pm

Greg2600 wrote:
April 21st, 2020, 9:39 am
I remain hopeful Satiator arrives this summer. As for MODE, it allows for mass storage like SSD and eSATA drives, which is what people have been asking for. Yes using microSD are easier to get at, but they're still not big enough in capacity, and I myself continue to have issues where I need to reformat the SD card and reload GB's of data.
Yeah I agree - I guess my point is I don't see why it needed three just leave it at eSATA and call it a day. Anyway I'm looking forward to the Satiator - it looks like a much more elegant solution.

PhilTheStampede
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by PhilTheStampede » May 8th, 2020, 1:39 am

Plug and play > drive replacement

LittleVamp
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by LittleVamp » October 21st, 2020, 12:14 am

Hi, I hope you are all well. I just liked to check how the developing is going anf if/when we could await some first information about the dimensions. As I am about to heavily mod my DC (DCdigital, internal VGA box, optical audio, internal SD-Reader, ...) I would like to know the dimensions and positions of the connectors / holes needed to be made into the case.
As PhilTheStampede wrote, a Plug and Play Add-on would be way better, than drive replacement, like sadly most ODEs on the market. I would need a reliable system I can use to play/rip GDRs and play dumps at the same time, without the need to take the Console apart for every action.
As it's been months since the latest information about the DCIO a short information about the current status would be more than awesome. Take care and nice greetings :)

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
I am a: Systems Designer
PlayStation Model: H2700/5502

Post by Matt » October 21st, 2020, 2:25 am

DCIO has been put on hold as we are focusing on PSIO and the new ODE for the PlayStation.

LittleVamp
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by LittleVamp » October 21st, 2020, 5:58 pm

Hi Matt, thanks for the fast reply. But a bit sad to hear, my most awaited piece of technology is put on hold. (I badly need a "100% working" drive emulator, capable of running all games, even win-ce ones, preserving the original drive, without the need to boot from the drive, but the option to start original games, from there.) Any estimated date on when it will go on and when we might get the first pictures or alike? Or when sth. like a kickstarter/preorder could be announced?
It's just, your product is the only one announced in the whole world, which might be able to do what I need, so just take my money :)