Official DCIO News and Development Thread

nikgod
Just Joined
Just Joined

Re: Official DCIO News and Development Thread

Post by nikgod » January 11th, 2020, 3:21 am

The expansion port is almost certainly not going to work. The Dreamcast G2 bus that the expansion port is attached to is specifically designed not to be able to read or write to the bus the GD-ROM is on, nor does it have DMA access to the memory mapped to the game execution.

PhilTheStampede

Post by PhilTheStampede » January 14th, 2020, 12:17 am

nikgod wrote:
January 11th, 2020, 3:21 am
The expansion port is almost certainly not going to work. The Dreamcast G2 bus that the expansion port is attached to is specifically designed not to be able to read or write to the bus the GD-ROM is on, nor does it have DMA access to the memory mapped to the game execution.
That's what internal mods are for, baby. A chip here, a wire there, and boom; you got yourself connections. They could even make another tiny board if they had to that accomplishes what a chip cant.

Greg2600
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by Greg2600 » January 15th, 2020, 8:30 am

nikgod wrote:
January 11th, 2020, 3:21 am
Well, that's lousy to hear, but appreciate the info nonetheless. I wasn't aware of that. At this point, my primary hope is a device that has menu support, and not attached to the two crackpots who currently make them.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
I am a: Systems Designer
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502

Post by Matt » January 16th, 2020, 1:19 pm

We're starting development again on DCIO. It will be a very high quality and much cheaper product that is easily available :)

Greg2600
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by Greg2600 » Yesterday, 5:54 pm

Matt wrote:
January 16th, 2020, 1:19 pm
We're starting development again on DCIO. It will be a very high quality and much cheaper product that is easily available :)
Good to hear! I would also consider offering 3D-printed options to secure/house the board in the DC, and one that replaces the drive space under the lid.