Official DCIO News and Development Thread

zePeido

Re: Official DCIO News and Development Thread

Post by zePeido » April 15th, 2019, 9:20 pm

KarlG wrote:
April 13th, 2019, 10:42 am
You need to leave the 12V connected for the official PAL SCART cable to function on a PAL console. VGA is fine without.

I haven't actually used a dreamcast with the normal disc so I do not have a reference for how hot these units normally get. I have left Crazy Taxi, GDEMU, 3D prinited tray, Noctua Fan and a 330 Ohm 5W resistor between 12v and ground. Running for 5 hours and I have not got the console anywhere near what I would consider hot or overheating. One day I will get crazy taxi on disc and I will compare both units side by side.
Thank you for the info. If one day you could test with crazy taxi on disc, that would be great.

codeX
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by codeX » May 14th, 2019, 6:56 am

Patiently awaiting the release of DCIO. ~5 months of some pretty heavy PSIO use with zero problems and I'm fully ready for DCIO release after going back and forth on looking at GDEMU and USB-GDROM. Not a fan of compatibility reports with GDEMU, and after reading Stone Age Gamer's experience with Mnemo, I'll pass on sending a $180+ payment on paypal to Russia.

Thanks for continued development guys. :)

Tobiasrieper
Seriously Active at Cybdyn Systems
Seriously Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by Tobiasrieper » June 22nd, 2019, 7:32 pm

I have a GDEMU clone, latest firmware and it''s the best £50 I ever spent. As both my Dreamcast and PS1 drives are up the swannee I needed something to keep me occupied until my PSIO turns up.

I have a printed tray on the way to help airflow and for aesthetica even though I built my own PICO psu. Plays every game I've thrown at it (so far).

I hope the folks over here at CybDyn make the DCIO compatible with VA0 motherboards (I have a Japanese model as well) via some extra pcb or something. Also the GDmenu is a bit rubbish so it will be interesting what CybDbyn develop and in what ways it will improve on GDEMU and USB Gdrom. :) I'll pick up a DCIO in a heart beat and sell my current set up :D

Takehaniyasubiko
/// CYBDYN SYSTEMS ELITE ///

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » June 23rd, 2019, 7:59 am

I'm not going to bother with the current GD2SD readers (or whatever you want to call them). I don't trust both creators and I'd rather wait for Cyberdyne Sy..., I mean CYBDYN Systems to develop something professional and with an actual support. :)

Greg2600
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by Greg2600 » July 7th, 2019, 10:39 am

Well, both USBGDROM and GDEMU are difficult to procure, and both use FAT32 so memory card size is hampered.

ibbanez
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by ibbanez » July 9th, 2019, 11:53 am

Argilun wrote:
September 22nd, 2017, 11:18 pm
Have you considered making the system an addon?
I made for my dreamcast
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw9fM ... UI5c0ZZR1k
May I ask what you did there? Looks cool, but Im more interested in the tech and the HDD. Thanks.

ibbanez
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by ibbanez » July 9th, 2019, 12:07 pm

I just wanted to chime in and give my 2 cents as to what I would want. I would want either a 2.5mm Sata drive or a USB for for external drives or usb stick. I do not want a SD card. The GD roms are all going to die eventually, and would rather not have the drive at all. I know not everyone agrees, but I just wanted to chime in. Hope everything is going well. Also, im new here, looks awesome and checking all the other stuff out. Keep up the great work.

codeX
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by codeX » August 13th, 2019, 5:14 am

I have a clone GDEMU and it's a piece of crap. The Chinese ripoff company took a larger-sized connector and hand cut a portion of it off to fit, so it only has one of the edges fitting properly in the DC's female connector side. It moves slightly when screwed down to the 3d printed frame causing it to lose connection. Garbage Chinese hack shit from a group too cheap to purchase the correct size connectors in the first place.

Both the GDEMU and USBGDROM makers are unsavory people, so I'd much prefer to drop $$ on the DCIO as a quality replacement. Only reason I went with the clone is because I kept missing out on their shit process of only having pre-order lists open for about an hour, and I have better things to do than constantly checking forums every day for the next one.

I've removed the GDROM to install the GDEMU, and I installed Dan's (citrus3000psi) DC HDMI board. Also removed the 12v voltage regulator since it's only needed for the GDROM to keep the heat generated down, and have the Noctua fan mod installed.

I would prefer a fully-internal solution, but don't have a strong preference between SD, SATA SSD/HDD, or USB for format. I have a 512GB SDXC card in my clone GDEMU right now and that holds the entire NA+EU library. I suppose SATA SSD for cheap 1TB SSDs would be ideal over SDXC to hold the entire library. The main design I'd hope to keep is not requiring 12v for all of us who prefer to remove the 12v regulator.

Edit:
For preservation, I'd hope GDI is the primary/first format to support as it's a direct copy of the source disc image. I quit using CDIs a long time ago for this reason - they aren't identical to the discs.

blazingwolf

Post by blazingwolf » August 26th, 2019, 8:13 am

Great progress but I noticed it replaces the GDROM drive entirely. I thought the reason the PSIO requires soldering was because CYBDYN wanted to preserve the PS CD-ROM drive, but I guess this isn't possible for the Dreamcast? Since CYBDYN Systems is willing to create a solution for the DC that removes the disc drive, is there any chance PSIO will be revised in a similar manner of replacing the laser entirely? Especially if it removes the need for soldering.

NRGDEAD
I am a: Noob
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1002

Post by NRGDEAD » August 26th, 2019, 8:35 am

Would that even be reasonably possible in case of the PSX? There have been quite a few different layouts/drives over the production run of the PlayStation.
Cue2cu2 - Python script for creating CU2 sheets via command line on Linux/Mac/Windows.

PSIO wallpaper template in PSD format.

Greg2600
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by Greg2600 » August 26th, 2019, 1:27 pm

PS1 had so many board revisions, doing a drive replacement could be messy. As for the Dreamcast, as with any system, you have to consider the bandwidth (transfer rate) for each interface. The serial port on the back is 2mbps ~ 0.25 MB/s, which as we saw with the SD Card Adapters, does work, but it's just not quite fast enough. The GD Rom is actually as fast as 1.8 MB/s, or ~ 14.4 mbps. The expansion slot (for modem/broadband) should be plenty fast enough, as the BBA was capable of 100mbps ~ 12.5 MB/s. I don't know about accessing the system directly from there. Obviously if you use the expansion slot, you have to construct a case that fits on there, and perhaps a pass through for the actual modem, as many of us still use it for multi-player.

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » August 26th, 2019, 11:36 pm

With DC, you actually need something that plugs to where GD-ROM normally is. Other solutions will suck in regards to speed and compatibility.

Greg2600
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by Greg2600 » August 29th, 2019, 2:02 pm

Takehaniyasubiko wrote:
August 26th, 2019, 11:36 pm
With DC, you actually need something that plugs to where GD-ROM normally is. Other solutions will suck in regards to speed and compatibility.
Well, I'm not sure if anyone has actually tried the expansion slot interface, but I feel like it would work. Most of those optical-media based systems offered a high speed expansion port. It was used for retail add-ons like modems, gameboy player, or external storage. I'm fairly sure you could create something via the DC expansion slot.

OmenBoy
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by OmenBoy » August 30th, 2019, 11:13 am

Greg2600 wrote:
August 29th, 2019, 2:02 pm
Takehaniyasubiko wrote:
August 26th, 2019, 11:36 pm
Well, I'm not sure if anyone has actually tried the expansion slot interface, but I feel like it would work. Most of those optical-media based systems offered a high speed expansion port. It was used for retail add-ons like modems, gameboy player, or external storage. I'm fairly sure you could create something via the DC expansion slot.
The Dreamcast serial port is extremely slow. I remember back in the DC scene days it would take hours to rip one GD rom via the serial port. If you’re talking about the expansion port the modem plugs into, that would definitely be fast enough. Not sure how it would work though.

puckmungo
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by puckmungo » September 16th, 2019, 12:55 pm

Hey guys

My Dreamcast shit itself last night and while trying to diagnose the problem I eventually found my way here. Just want to say I'm looking forward to your product and will be happy to spend my hard-earned to support fellow Aussies aswell.

Just wanted to add that I hope your solution will work with the VA0 motherboards that use 5V connectors as I know the GDEMU solution only accepts 3.3V.

Eagle_916
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by Eagle_916 » October 5th, 2019, 3:03 am

I just wanted to ask if you will take a look at supporting the new Redump Dumps that Redump made. As far as I am aware there is no way to burn them and there is no way to play them unless you have special emulators and all of the emulators need to be rewritten because of this. I understand the team did this in an effort to dump more accurately or something like that. I do not quite understand. Also will you please look into supporting Cheat Disks as well on the system. I hope both of these can be a reality!

Thank you,

Eagle_916

Greg2600
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by Greg2600 » October 15th, 2019, 4:30 am

OmenBoy wrote:
August 30th, 2019, 11:13 am

The Dreamcast serial port is extremely slow. I remember back in the DC scene days it would take hours to rip one GD rom via the serial port. If you’re talking about the expansion port the modem plugs into, that would definitely be fast enough. Not sure how it would work though.
Correct, I was suggesting the modem port. It's plenty fast, and would be compatible with all three console revisions.

zePeido

Post by zePeido » October 15th, 2019, 8:40 pm

Greg2600 wrote:
October 15th, 2019, 4:30 am
OmenBoy wrote:
August 30th, 2019, 11:13 am

Correct, I was suggesting the modem port. It's plenty fast, and would be compatible with all three console revisions.
I'm just a simple user with no tech knowledge, but the idea of connecting the DCIO to the modem port sounds good.
It would be even greater if DCIO had incorporated an Ethernet port.

If possible, just make DCIO in a way that it doesn't require soldering. I prefer plug and play, like the GDEMU/USB-GDROM, without soldering anything.

Just my two cents.