Resident Evil 2_ DUAL SHOCK Ver. (US) disc 2 not booting.

Problems or Issues related to games running on PSIO. Also check what other users have found or researched.
Forum rules
Before posting, make sure you have tried all the EXTDSP settings available found in the 'Options' in the Menu System! Also be sure to check JIRA if your game is currently not working and is already being worked on.
RoboTrain
Just Joined
Just Joined

Resident Evil 2_ DUAL SHOCK Ver. (US) disc 2 not booting.

Post by RoboTrain » October 21st, 2021, 2:59 pm

For the past few nights, I've been playing through Resident Evil 2 for the first time. I finished disc 1 last night, and I had absolutely no technical problems along the way. Tonight, I tried to boot up disc 2 and I just got a black screen. I've tried all the EXTDSP modes, including "Off," and I just got a black screen every time. It doesn't seem like I have any filenames misspelled, and my MULTIDISC.LST file doesn't seem to have any errors either. I also have the most current firmware (at the time of writing this).

The first few times I tried it, I had Fastboot on Game Boot set to [No]. After my second or third attempt, I realized that the first half of the BIOS sequence (the one with the orange diamond on the white background) will show up eventually if I wait several minutes, but I haven't gotten any luck after that. After that, I tried setting Fastboot on Game Boot to [Yes], but I still just get a black screen.

Syntax
Lives in the Cybdyn Systems Server
I am a: ModMan
PlayStation Model: 5000x

Re: Resident Evil 2_ DUAL SHOCK Ver. (US) disc 2 not booting.

Post by Syntax » October 21st, 2021, 8:30 pm

Post your multidisc.lst file contents.

Should look similar to this if they are in separate folders

Code: Select all

Resident Evil 2 Claire.bin
/Resident Evil 2 Leon/Resident Evil 2 Leon.bin

If both discs are in the same folder then

Code: Select all

Resident Evil 2 Claire.bin
Resident Evil 2 Leon.bin
Thinking about it tho, Res Evil 2 doesn't ask to disk swap ever does it? Multi disc is useless?
With that game I thought you start Leons CD and load your completed Claire save to start scenario B and vice versa
Last edited by Syntax on October 21st, 2021, 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PSIO Switchboard Install and Console Mod Service (Australia/Worldwide)
viewtopic.php?f=72&t=3143

Takehaniyasubiko
/// CYBDYN SYSTEMS ELITE ///
/// CYBDYN SYSTEMS ELITE ///
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1002

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » October 21st, 2021, 9:08 pm

You can ignore MULTIDISC.LST for RE2, but it does work if you want it. Just check your MULTIDISC.LST formatting.
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, an afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four, five times more, perhaps not even that."
- Paul Bowles

RoboTrain
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by RoboTrain » October 22nd, 2021, 3:15 am

Both discs are in the same folder. I've attached screenshots of my MULTIDISC.LST file and the folder it's in, just in case the problem is with one of those. The MULTIDISC.LST is in ANSI instead of Unicode, as per the manual's instructions. If it means anything, while I haven't had a ton of experience with my PSIO yet, I played through Parasite Eve shortly after getting it and didn't experience any problems when manually selecting disc 2.

As per both of your advice, I tried giving each disc its own folder, no MULTIDISC.LST, as if CAPCOM had shipped them in separate jewel cases back in the '90s. Game boots just fine, no problems! Because Resident Evil 2 was released as a two-disc game, for organizational purposes I'd rather treat them like all my other multi-disc games (ie. put them in the same folder with a MULTIDISC.LST), but as a temporary workaround just to play the game this is perfectly fine.

Thank you!
Attachments
folder.JPG
(38.86 KiB) Not downloaded yet
MULTIDISC.JPG
(29.75 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
I am a: Systems Designer
PlayStation Model: H2700/5502

Post by Matt » October 22nd, 2021, 5:50 am

It might be because you have a period in the string so it's messing up the MULTIDISC parser logic. Try removing it and see if that fixes it. If it does, I'll have to fixup the logic since it might have been something I overlooked ;)

RoboTrain
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by RoboTrain » October 22nd, 2021, 6:43 am

I hoped that'd do the trick, but no, unfortunately removing that period from the filenames and the MULTIDISC.LST didn't change anything.

I tested some other multi-disc games, even adding unnecessary periods in the filenames, and their disc 2s still booted just fine.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » October 22nd, 2021, 7:00 am

Okay, just wanted to check. How about the brackets. What if you remove those?

RoboTrain
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by RoboTrain » October 22nd, 2021, 8:22 am

Okay, this is odd. I decided to go as simple as I could. I renamed the folder to just "Leon", I renamed the discs to just "Leon" and "Claire", and I made a new MULTIDISC.LST file from scratch. Disc 2 booted up just fine! Then I went back and renamed everything to how I had it originally, and disc 2 also booted up just fine, suggesting the problem was with the old MULTIDISC.LST file. I tried it a few more times, switching out the MULTIDISC.LST file each time, and my results were consistent: the old one never worked, but the new one always did.

I can't remember if I let the Systems Console program make the old MULTIDISC.LST for me, or if I made that one from scratch too, but the old and new ones look identical to me. If it wasn't for the "Date Modified" bit, I wouldn't be able to tell them apart. I've attached copies of both.
Attachments
newMULTIDISC.LST
(86 Bytes) Downloaded 51 times
oldMULTIDISC.LST
(85 Bytes) Downloaded 46 times

Syntax
I am a: ModMan
PlayStation Model: 5000x

Post by Syntax » October 22nd, 2021, 1:22 pm

Your old one was made on a MAC, or atleast Macintosh (CR) encoded, not Windows (CR LF) encoded like your new one.

Something else to add to the user manual.
PSIO Switchboard Install and Console Mod Service (Australia/Worldwide)
viewtopic.php?f=72&t=3143

BahamutBBob

Post by BahamutBBob » October 22nd, 2021, 5:55 pm

I streamed RE2 using my PSIO last week with zero issues. US Dualshock version. I would skip doing multidisc like Takehaniyasubiko suggested, since when I went to load my Claire A clear file, it did not ask me to swap discs, I had to go to the PSIO menu to switch discs. I just have all of my multidisc games in separate folders, per disc, so I can quickly go back to the disc I was on.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » October 22nd, 2021, 10:36 pm

Syntax wrote: October 22nd, 2021, 1:22 pm Your old one was made on a MAC, or atleast Macintosh (CR) encoded, not Windows (CR LF) encoded like your new one.

Something else to add to the user manual.
Thanks, noted. I will add that :)

RoboTrain
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by RoboTrain » October 23rd, 2021, 1:29 am

Ah, I'm glad it was something relatively simple. I don't own a Mac, so I'm not sure how it got like that, but I'll have to keep a closer eye on that sort of thing in the future.

Thank you!