Gokujou Parodius Da! Deluxe Pack (J)

Old bug reports which are fixed and/or outdated
Entroper
Just Joined
Just Joined
PlayStation Model: SCPH-7501

Gokujou Parodius Da! Deluxe Pack (J)

Post by Entroper » November 28th, 2020, 4:04 am

Had a few minor issues with the first game [Gokujou Parodius] in the Parodius pack last night. It initializes fine, allows game selection, loads the start screen. I did have it go black and stay that way after choosing 1 player start once, but otherwise the game would play. But multiple times everything stopped for just a second or two, including the music, then resumed again. Most notably, it always happens/is repeatable right before the mermaid boss when the game makes a day-to-night transition, and then again after defeating her when it goes back to day again. Further in the game, it eventually froze completely on me in the middle of a stage. No issues noticed with the second game in this pack, but I didn't play it as long.

I'm using a SanDisk Ultra 128 GB that seems to be one of the recommended cards, and FWIW have had virtually no other issues with my PSIO (IIRC it once hung on a black screen during the initial loading sequence and didn't make it to the menu, and I had Bushido Blade freeze once when I chose "VS Mode" without a second controller plugged in, but that is all I can recall ever going wrong, and I've had it for at least a couple years now). My console is NTSC-U.

bikerspade
Seriously Active at Cybdyn Systems
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1001

Re: Gokujou Parodius Da! Deluxe Pack (J)

Post by bikerspade » November 28th, 2020, 7:47 am

Are you sure that it’s behaving differently than it would from disc? I’m pretty sure that is normal.

Takehaniyasubiko
/// CYBDYN SYSTEMS ELITE ///
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1002

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » November 28th, 2020, 4:32 pm

"It eventually froze completely on me in the middle of a stage" - that's not a normal game behavior and I'm sure you can actually complete the disc version (lol).
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, an afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four, five times more, perhaps not even that."
- Paul Bowles

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
I am a: Systems Designer
PlayStation Model: H2700/5502

Post by Matt » November 28th, 2020, 4:48 pm

Does your game CRC32 match ReDump?

Entroper
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by Entroper » November 29th, 2020, 9:02 am

Matt wrote: November 28th, 2020, 4:48 pm Does your game CRC32 match ReDump?
Yes, sorry. So far as I know all of my images do, but i just verified this one.

I don't have the original disc, but pulling up this version on Youtube I didn't see the momentary freezing at the mermaid boss or anywhere else.

bikerspade

Post by bikerspade » November 30th, 2020, 3:04 am

0E764CDF-0AEB-4499-BF22-BFE99CA8C49A.jpeg
(238.91 KiB) Not downloaded yet
I just completed this game. It didn’t lock up at all. It has normal 1/2 second loading pauses at the start of each boss battle and new stage. You will see the PSIO LED blink as it does. I’m using a 256gb Samsung EVO which has relatively slow access speed.

ka55
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1000

Post by ka55 » November 30th, 2020, 3:45 am

Here it runs the same way as this video.
I think maybe the version that has no loading pauses is Sega Saturn and Arcade.
To be sure only someone testing with the disc, but I think the PlayStation version runs like the video.

PlayStation SCPH-1000 PU-7 and SCPH-5552 PU-18 :D

bikerspade

Post by bikerspade » November 30th, 2020, 3:49 am

Yep, my PSIO performed exactly like the video above.

Entroper
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by Entroper » December 1st, 2020, 8:57 am

Interesting, so maybe the brief pauses do belong (and now I'm wondering what video I was watching...). There were the two freezes though. I'll try and play through it again soon to see if it happens again.

ka55

Post by ka55 » December 8th, 2020, 9:45 pm

I played Gokujou Parodius through the CD-R and it ran in the same way as the video I posted above.
I played only until the third stage.

ka55

Post by ka55 » December 10th, 2020, 7:17 pm

Takehaniyasubiko wrote: November 28th, 2020, 4:32 pm "It eventually froze completely on me in the middle of a stage" - that's not a normal game behavior and I'm sure you can actually complete the disc version (lol).
At this very moment the same thing happened here, I was in the third stage and I lost a life and instead of the stage restarting the screen went black and did not come out of it. It must be random, because it was the first time this happened to me.

Edited: I restarted the Playstation I played again until the fifth stage and the same problem did not happen the game worked normally.
I used the PlayStation SCPH 1000 (PU-7).

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » December 10th, 2020, 8:05 pm

ka55 wrote: December 10th, 2020, 7:17 pmAt this very moment the same thing happened here, I was in the third stage and I lost a life and instead of the stage restarting the screen went black and did not come out of it. It must be random, because it was the first time this happened to me.

Edited: I restarted the Playstation I played again until the fifth stage and the same problem did not happen the game worked normally.
I used the PlayStation SCPH 1000 (PU-7).
Thank you for the testing. Another instance of random freezing on PSIO.

I hope CybDyn is going to test and fix this properly.
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, an afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four, five times more, perhaps not even that."
- Paul Bowles

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » December 13th, 2020, 1:18 am

If the game runs fine and then randomly freezes, it is most likely due to a poor connection on the parallel port or poor SD Card performance. This isn't actually a logic bug with PSIO which we can fix unlike other game reports :)

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » December 13th, 2020, 2:09 am

Matt wrote: December 13th, 2020, 1:18 amIf the game runs fine and then randomly freezes, it is most likely due to a poor connection on the parallel port or poor SD Card performance. This isn't actually a logic bug with PSIO which we can fix unlike other game reports :)
This doesn't ring true, Matt. Ka55's setup is OK, with no connection issues and he specifically ordered a SanDisk card to avoid any issues on that front. Seems like a PSIO bug if it only happens on PSIO and his setup is proven to work with other games.
- Paul Bowles

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » December 13th, 2020, 1:26 pm

Takehaniyasubiko wrote: December 13th, 2020, 2:09 am
Matt wrote: December 13th, 2020, 1:18 amIf the game runs fine and then randomly freezes, it is most likely due to a poor connection on the parallel port or poor SD Card performance. This isn't actually a logic bug with PSIO which we can fix unlike other game reports :)
This doesn't ring true, Matt. Ka55's setup is OK, with no connection issues and he specifically ordered a SanDisk card to avoid any issues on that front. Seems like a PSIO bug if it only happens on PSIO and his setup is proven to work with other games.
If this were true, other people would report the same issue as well.

ka55

Post by ka55 » December 13th, 2020, 2:36 pm

I said it happened 1 time, and it was after I played captain commando, when I died I was playing with Hikaru (blue fairy) and the game was on the black screen, but after that I turned the PS1 off and reinserted the SD again, I turned on the PS1, opened the game again and the problem didn't happen again. After that I didn't turn on my PS1 again. But if it happens if you want, I can post it here, because for me it doesn't make much difference because this game has for Saturn (Fenrir) and Snes (sd2snes pro) if I have a problem I will play on one of these consoles. I posted this report because the topic had already been created.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » December 13th, 2020, 2:49 pm

Ah, right. So there were two people (ka55 and entroper) who had it freeze on them. Probably best to wait for the new firmware (Menu System V2.6.28) to be released and try it on that since it's had a few improvements which might assist with the random yet rare freezes.

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » December 13th, 2020, 8:40 pm

ka55 and entroper, please re-test this game when the new firmware is released to either confirm or deny the problem is solved.
- Paul Bowles

Entroper
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by Entroper » December 18th, 2020, 11:15 am

First attempt with the new firmware, the game froze the second time I continued; after re-choosing my character and the "Player 1 [Koitsu] Start" screen, it went black like normal but then nothing came back up. There was no LED activity on the PSIO accompanying the dead black screen.

Second time, completed the game with no issues. Left it on pause for an hour afterward on the special stage, still fine.

So, um, it does still seem to be freezing randomly, but it's not ubiquitous. I haven't had problems with any other games so I really don't think it's my parallel port connection, and I'm using what seems to be the most highly regarded SD card around here.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » December 18th, 2020, 2:29 pm

Strange. We'll have to check it out and try it a few times to see if we can get it to freeze for us, but it might not even be able to be re-created on our end. We will see.