SD Card failed to initialise after playing PSIO intro video [Menu System V2.6.27]

Feel free to go ahead and ask for Help and Support or check out what's already been answered from other customers
Forum rules
This section is for asking about help in regards to your PSIO Cartridge. Do not post any questions here relating to your order. Instead, please open a support ticket in our Service Desk. Thanks.
daneeall
Seriously Active at Cybdyn Systems

SD Card failed to initialise after playing PSIO intro video [Menu System V2.6.27]

Post by daneeall » November 23rd, 2020, 5:09 am

Menu System V2.6.27
SD Card failed to initialise after playing PSIO intro video
100% recreatable not random bug to me.
Kingston Canvas Select Plus micro SDHC 128GB UHS 10-Class 100Mb/s via SD adapter.

daneeall

Re: SD Card failed to initialise after playing PSIO intro video [Menu System V2.6.27]

Post by daneeall » November 23rd, 2020, 7:12 am

If you skip the video during playing - everything is OK. And not OK if you watch till the end.
Error happens at "reading SD card data" boot state.

Kito1984
/// CYBDYN SYSTEMS ELITE ///
I am a: Interpreter
Motto: Do no harm
PlayStation Model: SCPH-5500
Steam: kito_2003

Re: SD Card failed to initialise after playing PSIO intro video [Menu System V2.6.27]

Post by Kito1984 » November 23rd, 2020, 4:50 pm

Doesn't happen for me, tried with FastBoot on System Boot On and Off.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
I am a: Systems Designer
PlayStation Model: H2700/5502

Post by Matt » November 23rd, 2020, 5:50 pm

That error is extremely rare. It's never happened to me. I completely forgot it was even in the code I wrote years ago. That's why the formatting of it is wrong, it tells you to refresh the SD Card and it only states it supports FAT32 (since the alpha version of the Menu System only had these features).

To me, this is an SD Card stall issue because after checking my code, this means it cannot read anything from the card. It's a pretty serious hard-fail actually so your SD Card is actually very poor in performance. I'm surprised it even works after triggering this error.

daneeall

Post by daneeall » November 23rd, 2020, 6:57 pm

The card works perfectly fine. I never had this error on cold boot or after reset. Only at init process after intro video. Actually, I remember that I watched this video without any errors at my very first launch PSIO on 2.6.20 from this SD card.
If it is the card issue, why this never happens if you skip the video from playing? Isn't there the same initialisation process?
I made the card test, what do you think of it?
I can shot a video, it is very easy and 100% replicable to me.

daneeall

Post by daneeall » November 23rd, 2020, 7:47 pm

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » November 24th, 2020, 3:40 am

The SD Card will stall at random or it will stall depending on what sector it reads from since everytime you move or write data on your PC, you’re altering the cards sector positioning.

daneeall

Post by daneeall » November 24th, 2020, 5:16 am

It is always goes the same way. If you're watcing video till the end -> ERROR. If you're skipping video from playing -> ALL OK.
Just tested another Kingston SD Card - 8GB micro SDHC via adapter (another one) - got the same error.
---------
Made some experiments:
Formatted 8Gb to FAT32 -> ALL OK (what a surprise)
Formatted 8Gb to exFat back again -> ERROR (-_-)
---------
exFat always faulty with any cluster size, FAT32 always ok with any cluster size.
Something makes me think that this is filesystem problem.

viperxl2

Post by viperxl2 » November 24th, 2020, 9:00 am

I'm using the cheapest "ONN" brand SD card from my local Walmart.
Since day 1 I've have this card formatted correctly and simply overwrite the MENU.SYS every time a new update comes out, all my games work perfectly even RE3 and RE2 back when everyone was having problems with the stalling issue with SD adapters. Tried to replicate your problem with another card same brand and all and couldn't replicate it on exfat or FAT32. I'm on a NTSC PU-18 system latest update with fresh format and menu. Nada.

I believe you may have bad sectors not being mapped out after your format tool of choice does the job.

daneeall

Post by daneeall » November 24th, 2020, 10:35 am

viperxl2 wrote: November 24th, 2020, 9:00 am I believe you may have bad sectors not being mapped out after your format tool of choice does the job.
On a two cards? Doubtful. Besides chkdsk passes fine.
Actually I formatted my 128Gb card to FAT32 and it is goes fine too.
--------
I wonder why these "problematic" cards works perfectly fine with every last shitty cheapest ation camera\phone\navigator\tablet\mp3 player\ebook\NDS R4i\PSP Fake Photofast\router\printer\any krikzz cartridge\and so on and so all but not in this device?
Does the developers of the devices above knows something such a fundamental of sd cards? Some sacred knowelege that letting their devices work with any SD cards?
I'll make a full capacity butterfly test of entire 128Gb SD card as soon as possible. Will see if there is any blocks slower than 10 ms.
And Syphon Filter 2 freezed to me again. So 2.6.27 aint fix the problem. I won't create a new topic for it again. It's just fuck it, I don't believe that it'll ever be fixed.

Syntax
Lives in the Cybdyn Systems Server
Lives in the Cybdyn Systems Server
I am a: ModMan
PlayStation Model: 5000x

Post by Syntax » November 24th, 2020, 11:08 am

What controller are you using?
PSIO Switchboard Install and Console Mod Service (Australia/Worldwide)
viewtopic.php?f=72&t=3143

Redump USA / EURO / JP & ASIA cue/cu2 collection for PSIO
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1TSvP5 ... -qK4wR_-gT

ka55
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1000

Post by ka55 » November 24th, 2020, 11:21 am

I use the same micro sd as you (Kingston Canvas Select Plus) and here on my SCPH-1000 this problem did not happen that you reported, here after finishing the PSIO presentation video the list of games was displayed normally.
Could this be related to the console version? Only Matt can help with this problem.
PlayStation SCPH-1000 PU-7 and SCPH-5552 PU-18 :D

daneeall

Post by daneeall » November 24th, 2020, 4:47 pm

SCPH-110
I use the same micro sd as you
It is very nice that you tested too, what filesystem your SD card is formated to?
Could this be related to the console version?
It could be that. I remember that you had problems with RE on one console, and didn't have on another.
My hardware is:
SCPH-7001(PU20)+SCPH-110+SCPH-1020
Kingston Canvas Select Plus micro SDHC 128GB UHS 10-Class 100Mb/s via SD adapter.

daneeall

Post by daneeall » November 25th, 2020, 12:01 am

Just made 128Gb full capacity test using laptop embeeded hi speed card reader.
Filled to 10% and made CrystalDisk Mark test. So where excatly the card is bad? Or where it stalls?

Takehaniyasubiko
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1002

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » November 25th, 2020, 1:37 am

Well, there is that one cluster where it stalls for ~20 ms.

Maybe you're unlucky and that's where PSIO fails to read it?

Personally, I believe it's not about stalling, but about some incompatibility between certain SD card chips and PSIO's SD access code.

But other devices of this kind (like X-station) also have SD card incompatibilities, so this isn't a PSIO-only problem.
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, an afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four, five times more, perhaps not even that."
- Paul Bowles

ka55
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1000

Post by ka55 » November 25th, 2020, 12:01 pm

daneeall wrote: November 24th, 2020, 4:47 pm
SCPH-110
I use the same micro sd as you
It is very nice that you tested too, what filesystem your SD card is formated to?
Could this be related to the console version?
It could be that. I remember that you had problems with RE on one console, and didn't have on another.
My hardware is:
SCPH-7001(PU20)+SCPH-110+SCPH-1020
exfat, cluster 128kb
PlayStation SCPH-1000 PU-7 and SCPH-5552 PU-18 :D

daneeall

Post by daneeall » November 25th, 2020, 9:05 pm

Some obsevation about wallpaper:
If SD Card 128 GB formatted to FAT32 with 32K cluster size, the wallpaper is undetectable and unable to set.
If you do a reset to defaults via select+start, the wallpaper is detected and able to set, but after reset or power off, it is undetected back again.
If SD Card 128 GB formatted to FAT32 with 64K cluster size, the wallpaper is detected normally.

Kito1984
I am a: Interpreter
Motto: Do no harm
PlayStation Model: SCPH-5500
Steam: kito_2003

Post by Kito1984 » November 25th, 2020, 9:16 pm

I once formatted my card with 32768 kB cluster size, if I remember correctly, and PSIO couldn't detect this card at all. Maybe that's a bug, but I'm not so sure and recommended cluster size is 256 kB anyway, so I didn't report it.

Takehaniyasubiko
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1002

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » November 25th, 2020, 9:23 pm

Cybdyn recommends 256 KB for exFAT.

Microsoft recommends 128 KB for exFAT.

Anything lower or larger is unsuited for most SD cards.
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, an afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four, five times more, perhaps not even that."
- Paul Bowles

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » November 26th, 2020, 6:08 am

daneeall wrote: November 25th, 2020, 9:05 pm If SD Card 128 GB formatted to FAT32...
FAT32 doesn't work on cards that large with PSIO. You're just having fun now and experimenting.