Final Fantasy VI Freezing at Cave to Sealed Gate

Old bug reports which are fixed and/or outdated
sarty51
PlayStation Model: SCPH-7501

Final Fantasy VI Freezing at Cave to Sealed Gate

Post by sarty51 » November 9th, 2020, 1:36 pm

Hi all. I have been playing through FF6 from the FF Anthology collection. File is from redump. I am currently at the Cave to the Sealed Gate. As soon as I end the short battle with Kefka the game locks up and freezes. Music still continues to play. I have tried all boot options however the issue remains. Has anyone else had any issues with this game? Thanks.

Takehaniyasubiko
/// CYBDYN SYSTEMS ELITE ///
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1002

Re: Final Fantasy VI Freezing at Cave to Sealed Gate

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » November 9th, 2020, 2:37 pm

Which firmware version?

What SD card?

Can you provide a save file before that battle?
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, an afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four, five times more, perhaps not even that."
- Paul Bowles

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
I am a: Systems Designer
PlayStation Model: H2700/5502

Post by Matt » November 9th, 2020, 2:38 pm

CRC32 matches ReDump?

sarty51

Post by sarty51 » November 9th, 2020, 3:43 pm

Firmware version - ARM 2.7.12

SD Card - SAMSUNG EVO Plus 128GB

In regards to the save file. I tried using the SYSCON tool provided for the PSIO. I don't know if I am doing anything wrong but when I connect the PSIO to the tool I see the option to extract data from memory card. However in the tool this option is locked and not selectable. Mind you I've never used this tool so idk.

CRC32 matches ReDump? - I'm actually not sure how to check this?

NRGDEAD
I am a: Noob

Post by NRGDEAD » November 9th, 2020, 9:56 pm

These are some standard troubleshooting questions that should hopefully help you get your game(s) working, or at least help us pinpoint the cause if not:
  1. The image files
    • Is the image Redump compatible?
      Redump is a project to enable people to faithfully backup their (PlayStation) games. The most interesting part for PSIO users is that they provide checksums from successful dumps. If the CRC-32 of your merged image matches the one listed in the "total" row on the respective Redump entry, you can be sure the image itself is not causing any problems.
      You can calculate checksums (MD5 and CRC-32) with one of these tools if you are using Windows. On Linux/Mac, you can use md5sum or md5 and rhash (for CRC-32) on the command line. Consult your distribution's documentation on how to install these.
    • Did the image come in form of multiple bin files?
      Did you merge them via PSIO Systems Console? If so, were they stored on a network drive or anything else besides a NTFS disk local to the OS running SysCon?
    • Do the games require a CU2 sheet?
      If the game uses Red Book audio tracks, which you can determine via the cue sheet, the Redump listing having multiple tracks or the image being split to multiple bin-files, the PSIO requires a CU2 sheet for it to work. You can create those from the cue sheet via the Systems Console (Windows) or Cue2cu2 (Linux, Mac, Windows).
      If you have created the CU2 sheet without using Systems Console or Cue2cu2, for example by downloading them from the web or creating them manually, please try one generated by either program.
    • How long are the names of your game directy and image files?
      The directory name may not be longer than 60 characters and the files inside need can not be longer than 64 characters.
  2. The PSIO, the PSX, and the game
    • Are you running the latest firmware?
      You can check this in the PSIO's configuration menu. The changelog for the latest Menu System (which includes ARM, FPGA firmwares) is available on the forum, and it can be obtained via the downloads page.
    • Did the game work on a previous firmware?
      If so, which one(s)?
    • Have you tried switching to LoadExec with the different EXTDSP modes?
      Forum user zePeido maintains a growing unofficial list on games known to require a certain mode.
      Also, can you confirm you don't have an EXTDSP mode specified via a file on the SD card?
    • Is the disc listed as using Libcrypt on Redump?
      If so, have you applied a patch? The PSIO does not support the subchannels required for Libcrypt games at this point.
      Only some of the PAL games are using Libcrypt, so if the game is NTSC-U/J, this doesn't apply.
    • Are you using Fastboot on either system or game launch?
      Have you tried without?
    • Are you starting the game via Quick Start?
      If it fails when started by pressing Start on the games list, have you tried opening the details page first by pressing X and then starting the game by pressing X again?
    • Have you searched the forum and checked the Jira Service Desk to see if there's a known problem with the game at this time?
    • Have you tried resetting the PSIO settings by holding Start and Select during boot?
    • Have you the means to try the original disc or a Redump compatible CD-R?
    • Which model is your PlayStation?
      Do happen to have a second, maybe different model to test on?
      What is your PlayStation BIOS CRC-32? You can find out via the PSIO's diagnostic/information menu.
    • Are you using a genuine PSIO cartridge?
      Did you buy it new from either CybDyn, Stone Age Gamer, Retro Modding, or Powr Up Gaming? If you bought it used, are you sure it's a genuine device? There have been users before who accidentally bought counterfeit PSIOs.
  3. The SD card
    • Did you format the cards using the Windows 10 onboard utility or third party tools? Or on Linux or a Mac?
      If you used third party tools, have you tried re-formatting your card via the onboard tools from Windows 8 or 10?
      Also remember that SDHC cards with 4-32 GiB need to be formatted to FAT32, while SDXC cards with 32-512 GiB require ExFAT to be used. Allocation size should be 256 KiB, although some users report having less trouble with 1024 KiB.
    • Have you tried another SD card?
      Preferably one purchased at least a few months before or after the one you're using now - or from different brand alltogether.
    • What brand and model of SD card are you using? Have you tested your card to not be a fake/counterfeit card?
      This article might help you make the distinction.
      Be aware that even Amazon might have unknowingly send you counterfeit cards since they sometimes use or have used "shared stock" between sellers.
Cue2cu2: A Python script for creating CU2 sheets via the command line on Linux/Mac/Windows.
GitHub / Forum

PSIO wallpaper template in Photoshop format.

kikujade
Lives in the Cybdyn Systems Server
Lives in the Cybdyn Systems Server

Post by kikujade » November 10th, 2020, 1:58 am

sarty51 wrote: November 9th, 2020, 1:36 pm Hi all. I have been playing through FF6 from the FF Anthology collection. File is from redump. I am currently at the Cave to the Sealed Gate. As soon as I end the short battle with Kefka the game locks up and freezes. Music still continues to play. I have tried all boot options however the issue remains. Has anyone else had any issues with this game? Thanks.
The final fantasy anthology collection was very poorly programmed on the PS1 and would often crash and/or glitch out even when playing from the original CD. If I were you I would test with mednafen and with an original optical drive.

I could have helped you test, but after assembling my PSIO modded PS1s with modchips, their optical drives never worked well again, it's likely they are cheap chinese clones.

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » November 10th, 2020, 4:31 am

No, this games does not crash/freeze from the CD-ROM (uless you have a broken CD-ROM, of course).

All of the PS1 FF ports, and the Chrono Trigger port, are extremely stable. The only problem is that the load times are much longer than in the original cartridge versions. There are no problem with stability, though.

@sarty51: Can you use PS2 with FreeMcBoot to transfer the save? Or maybe you can find a save online that's from the same area in the game?

EDIT: Bad news, this freeze is caused by buggy CD-ROM emulation: https://www.ngemu.com/threads/final-fan ... es.154005/

It used to freeze on emulators, but it was fixed with later versions.
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, an afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four, five times more, perhaps not even that."
- Paul Bowles

mario64
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by mario64 » November 10th, 2020, 10:21 am

Takehaniyasubiko wrote: November 10th, 2020, 4:31 am EDIT: Bad news, this freeze is caused by buggy CD-ROM emulation: https://www.ngemu.com/threads/final-fan ... es.154005/
Which means it's a PSIO bug?

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » November 10th, 2020, 10:28 am

mario64 wrote: November 10th, 2020, 10:21 amWhich means it's a PSIO bug?
Seems like it. OP is using a Redump-verified disc image and it can't be a coincidence the game used to freeze in the exact same spot with the old PS1 emulators.

This is exactly what I feared all this time: CybDyn tests games for booting and initial operations, but bugs can freeze/crash games many hours into gameplay...

Can somebody provide a save file near the cave to Sealed Gate? I'm sure Matt won't be willing to play so much of FFVI just to check this bug and there's no cheat to put yourself in that spot.
- Paul Bowles

sarty51

Post by sarty51 » November 10th, 2020, 2:12 pm

Well that's a shame. I agree probably not a coincidence. Is there really no way to pull save files using the PSIO SYSCON tool? The option is there in the software. Thanks everyone for your replies.

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » November 10th, 2020, 3:04 pm

sarty51 wrote: November 10th, 2020, 2:12 pmIs there really no way to pull save files using the PSIO SYSCON tool? The option is there in the software. Thanks everyone for your replies.
That will be added in the future. For now, you need to use a PS2 with FreeMcBoot to transfer saves from a PS1 memory card.

If you don't have a PS2, maybe somebody else will reach that point and make a save for Matt? How long does it take to reach that Cave?
- Paul Bowles

bikerspade
Seriously Active at Cybdyn Systems
Seriously Active at Cybdyn Systems
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1001

Post by bikerspade » November 10th, 2020, 3:54 pm

You could also use a DexDrive to transfer saves to/from a PS1 memory card and PC. I use mine connected to my PC’s serial port to do so, with 3rd party software called Dexter.

dada1212

Post by dada1212 » November 10th, 2020, 4:22 pm

Takehaniyasubiko wrote: November 10th, 2020, 3:04 pm
sarty51 wrote: November 10th, 2020, 2:12 pmIs there really no way to pull save files using the PSIO SYSCON tool? The option is there in the software. Thanks everyone for your replies.
How long does it take to reach that Cave?
Around 10-14 hours

dada1212

Post by dada1212 » November 10th, 2020, 6:45 pm

Ok, i get save just before Cave to the Sealed Gate

But it from snes, can it inserted into ps1 save?

I add it in case, Matt can hack it
Attachments
ff6save12Perfect_ImperialBase.zip
(105.33 KiB) Downloaded 12 times

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
I am a: Systems Designer
PlayStation Model: H2700/5502

Post by Matt » November 10th, 2020, 6:52 pm

SNES can't be converted to a PS1 save :P

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » November 10th, 2020, 7:00 pm

This is a PS1 save which might be helpful in reaching the Cave quicker:
An hour and a half in, this game is an extension of Gamesave #3. Terra still has 9999/999, and now she has collected Locke, Edgar, and Sabin and has cleared Mt. Kolts. As a new twist, the GameShark was used to give everyone Force Shields and Genji Armor, as well as the Illumina, Atma, Valiant Knife, and Aura Lance. Everyone has equipped the most powerful of the available items. Levels are around nine and ten.
Attachments
FFVI.zip
(5.96 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
- Paul Bowles

dada1212

Post by dada1212 » November 10th, 2020, 7:13 pm

Takehaniyasubiko wrote: November 10th, 2020, 7:00 pm This is a PS1 save which might be helpful in reaching the Cave quicker:
An hour and a half in, this game is an extension of Gamesave #3. Terra still has 9999/999, and now she has collected Locke, Edgar, and Sabin and has cleared Mt. Kolts. As a new twist, the GameShark was used to give everyone Force Shields and Genji Armor, as well as the Illumina, Atma, Valiant Knife, and Aura Lance. Everyone has equipped the most powerful of the available items. Levels are around nine and ten.
Matt wrote: November 10th, 2020, 6:52 pm SNES can't be converted to a PS1 save :P
Okay....
Okay guys. I've never been through it. I can also pass the time until the PS5 release. Then I'll disappear in the Demon Souls Remake. :)
Thank you for the save, but I probably won't use it, you never know how it will affect the final result, according to the idea of a hacked save. In short, wish me luck. Lol When will be at freeze location, i drop here save before enter

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » November 10th, 2020, 7:19 pm

dada1212 wrote: November 10th, 2020, 7:13 pmThank you for the save, but I probably won't use it, you never know how it will affect the final result, according to the idea of a hacked save. In short, wish me luck. Lol When will be at freeze location, i drop here save before enter
It won't affect the freezing, but you can start from the beginning if you have the time. It won't take that long if you ignore all the side stuff and just keep pressing for the Imperial Observation Post, then to the cave with the Sealed Gate. It's around 1/3 of the game. The game freezes after the short battle with Kefka in the cave.
- Paul Bowles

AMG13
PlayStation Model: SCPH-7002

Post by AMG13 » November 10th, 2020, 7:31 pm

dada1212 wrote: November 10th, 2020, 6:45 pm Ok, i get save just before Cave to the Sealed Gate

But it from snes, can it inserted into ps1 save?

I add it in case, Matt can hack it
Stupid macaque :lol:

dada1212

Post by dada1212 » November 10th, 2020, 8:27 pm

Takehaniyasubiko wrote: November 10th, 2020, 7:19 pm
dada1212 wrote: November 10th, 2020, 7:13 pmThank you for the save, but I probably won't use it, you never know how it will affect the final result, according to the idea of a hacked save. In short, wish me luck. Lol When will be at freeze location, i drop here save before enter
It won't affect the freezing, but you can start from the beginning if you have the time. It won't take that long if you ignore all the side stuff and just keep pressing for the Imperial Observation Post, then to the cave with the Sealed Gate. It's around 1/3 of the game. The game freezes after the short battle with Kefka in the cave.
Most likely, Yes. But I want to pass it. I started it a long time ago, but I didn't finish it. :) Annoying long loads, especially when the laser is not working properly. With PSIO at all super, almost as on a cartridge. So i sure make it (i hope) :lol: