Test Drive 4 (USA) [Menu System V2.6.16]

Problems or Issues related to games running on PSIO. Also check what other users have found or researched.
Forum rules
Before posting, make sure you have tried all the EXTDSP settings available found in the 'Options' in the Menu System! Also be sure to check JIRA if your game is currently not working and is already being worked on.
AMG13
/// CYBDYN SYSTEMS ELITE ///
PlayStation Model: SCPH-7002

Test Drive 4 (USA) [Menu System V2.6.16]

Post by AMG13 » August 2nd, 2020, 4:18 am

in "Test Drive 4 (SLUS-00487) (USA)" sound distortions (errors) in "single player" mode are noticed.
there are also sound distortions on three emulators retroarch, mednaffen, XEBRA. And only the "ePSXe" emulator reproduces sound without distortion. "EXTDSP" modes do not solve the problem.
If there is a possibility somebody check on the real "CD rom PS1" with "CD-R" or the original edition.

the video was taken from the "mednaffen" emulator as it repeats the same "PSIO" error (although it is possible that this error is not PSIO ...)
I cropped the video a little to get to that sound error, which starts at about 0:37 minutes faster.
link to video: https://yadi.sk/i/vM4ePgNXH5bANw

Menu System V2.6.16
SCPH-7002

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
I am a: Systems Designer
PlayStation Model: H2700/5502

Re: Test Drive 4 (USA) [Menu System V2.6.16]

Post by Matt » August 2nd, 2020, 4:22 am

It doesn't distort, but rather it corrupts and you hear 'ticking' and 'beeps'. We'll check it out and see what we can find :)

Takehaniyasubiko
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1002

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » August 2nd, 2020, 6:46 am

Maybe that actually happens from a real PS1 CD-ROM? If XEBRA has it, I'm willing to believe that's how the game works on real hardware.
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, an afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four, five times more, perhaps not even that."
- Paul Bowles

AMG13

Post by AMG13 » August 2nd, 2020, 10:59 pm

Takehaniyasubiko wrote: August 2nd, 2020, 6:46 am Maybe that actually happens from a real PS1 CD-ROM? If XEBRA has it, I'm willing to believe that's how the game works on real hardware.
I would not trust "XEBRA" one hundred percent, because there are also problems with the sound, for example in the game "Myst" there is a continuous hum on the "Psygnosis" screensaver.

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » August 2nd, 2020, 11:14 pm

AMG13 wrote: August 2nd, 2020, 10:59 pmI would not trust "XEBRA" one hundred percent, because there are also problems with the sound, for example in the game "Myst" there is a continuous hum on the "Psygnosis" screensaver.
But in this cases, it's both XEBRA and Mednafen. It would be too coincidental since these emulators share nothing of the code.

Many PS1 games have all sorts of issues like that. Various "clicks", "pops", and "hums".

Somebody simply needs to check this from the retail CD.

It's possible "ePSXe" doesn't have these sound issues because it's not an accurate emulator.
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, an afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four, five times more, perhaps not even that."
- Paul Bowles

AMG13

Post by AMG13 » August 3rd, 2020, 3:50 am

Today I came across a yoke "XS Moto (USA)" in which there are graphical glitches, appear randomly on the top of the screen. shown in the photo with a red arrow.
I also made a video on the "XEBRA" emulator, as it repeats the glitches on "PSIO".

link to video: https://yadi.sk/i/PY_Msg6w3P8QtA

I didn't create a new theme for this game because I'm not sure if this is a "PSIO" error, although it's worth checking it out on a real "CDrom PS1"

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » August 3rd, 2020, 6:08 am

AMG13 wrote: August 3rd, 2020, 3:50 amImage

link to video: https://yadi.sk/i/PY_Msg6w3P8QtA

I didn't create a new theme for this game because I'm not sure if this is a "PSIO" error, although it's worth checking it out on a real "CDrom PS1"
You mean the white lines at the top? Most likely garbage from the VRAM is slipping through the net due to poor programming.
Last edited by Takehaniyasubiko on September 10th, 2020, 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Paul Bowles

AMG13

Post by AMG13 » August 3rd, 2020, 6:19 am

Takehaniyasubiko wrote: August 3rd, 2020, 6:08 am You mean the white lines at the top?
Yes. this garbage is colored.

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » August 3rd, 2020, 6:38 am

There's no way XEBRA and PSIO would share a graphic glitch like that. It must be happening on real hardware even with a retail CD.

This just shows you how accurate XEBRA is. It tries to be as close to a real PS1 as possible, including all the bugs and glitches.
- Paul Bowles

AMG13

Post by AMG13 » August 3rd, 2020, 7:23 am

Takehaniyasubiko wrote: August 3rd, 2020, 6:38 am This just shows you how accurate XEBRA is. It tries to be as close to a real PS1 as possible, including all the bugs and glitches.
XEBRA cannot be 100% trusted. here is an example of a sound glitch on the emulator: https://yadi.sk/i/gu3E6U9pmtqLSw
на реальном розничном "CD" нет этой ошибки звука
Last edited by AMG13 on August 3rd, 2020, 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » August 3rd, 2020, 7:34 am

AMG13 wrote: August 3rd, 2020, 7:23 amXEBRA cannot be 100% trusted. here is an example of a sound glitch on the emulator: https://yadi.sk/i/gu3E6U9pmtqLSw
на реальном розничном "CD" нет этой ошибки звука
XEBRA needs to be configured properly for the audio. Make sure you're using the newest version and try setting the I Cache rate to E (edit the XEBRA.INI file with SIM.EXE and change the I Cache Rate to "E").
- Paul Bowles

AMG13

Post by AMG13 » August 3rd, 2020, 8:03 am

Takehaniyasubiko wrote: August 3rd, 2020, 7:34 am XEBRA needs to be configured properly for the audio. Make sure you're using the newest version and try setting the I Cache rate to E (edit the XEBRA.INI file with SIM.EXE and change the I Cache Rate to "E").
I am using the newest version "XEBRA-200405", downloaded from the official site. sound settings in the emulator by default.
if I edit "XEBRA.INI", then errors can appear in another game

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » August 3rd, 2020, 8:24 am

AMG13 wrote: August 3rd, 2020, 8:03 amI am using the newest version "XEBRA-200405", downloaded from the official site. sound settings in the emulator by default.
if I edit "XEBRA.INI", then errors can appear in another game
That's because it's practically impossible to emulate the PS1 CPU cycle-by-cycle as of now. You'd need a 10 GHz CPU.

That's where the simulation in XEBRA.INI comes in. It should be edited to find best settings if a given game gives problems, although most should work great with the default settings. You'd only really need to change the I Cache rate to E for some games.
- Paul Bowles

AMG13

Post by AMG13 » August 3rd, 2020, 8:31 am

Takehaniyasubiko wrote: August 3rd, 2020, 8:24 am You'd only really need to change the I Cache rate to E for some games.
i did it but the problem persists

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » August 3rd, 2020, 8:40 am

AMG13 wrote: August 3rd, 2020, 8:31 ami did it but the problem persists
Are you sure everything is set up correctly, the BIOS, etc.?
- Paul Bowles

AMG13

Post by AMG13 » August 3rd, 2020, 9:06 am

Takehaniyasubiko wrote: August 3rd, 2020, 8:40 am Are you sure everything is set up correctly, the BIOS, etc.?
yes, everything seems to be correct.

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » August 3rd, 2020, 10:00 am

Try these setting for Sound Output.
N = 2
a1_ = -2
a2_ = 0

b0_ = 1
b1_ = 1
b2_ = 1
- Paul Bowles

AMG13

Post by AMG13 » August 3rd, 2020, 3:45 pm

Takehaniyasubiko wrote: August 3rd, 2020, 10:00 am Try these setting for Sound Output.
N = 2
a1_ = -2
a2_ = 0

b0_ = 1
b1_ = 1
b2_ = 1
i did it but the problem persists

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » August 3rd, 2020, 9:17 pm

AMG13 wrote: August 3rd, 2020, 3:45 pmi did it but the problem persists
There's a way to solve it, but I can't do it myself right now because my machine only runs Linux and XEBRA doesn't work well under Wine.

XEBRA is the most accurate PS1 emulator, but it needs advanced user configuration for some games.
- Paul Bowles

AMG13

Post by AMG13 » August 7th, 2020, 6:13 am

in "NASCAR Thunder 2004 (USA)" textures of cars and objects on the track break in random order. there is no problem with textures on "XEBRA". reported for verification.
race setup:

link to video: https://yadi.sk/i/UJm0R_8rn3v0vw
Attachments
race setup.jpg
(109.22 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by AMG13 on August 7th, 2020, 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.