Chaos Break PAL audio issues

Software title information and feedback tested by customers
Forum rules
Before posting, make sure you have tried all the EXTDSP settings available found in the 'Options' in the Menu System! Also be sure to check JIRA if your game is currently not working and is already being worked on.
CloudXIV

Chaos Break PAL audio issues

Post by CloudXIV » October 14th, 2019, 5:10 pm

I tried playing the EU version of Chaos Break today, but the audio timing is completely off. Starts too late, skips, ends too soon, plays voice overs that were supposed to come later on. I own the original disc and it works absolutely fine. I tried making a CU2 file from CUE and by copying from redump.org. I also tried all EXTDSP modes and the result is always the same, broken voice overs. Can someone please provide a solution?

Edit: Of course I ripped my own disc as well and the result was identical.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
I am a: Systems Designer
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502

Re: Chaos Break PAL audio issues

Post by Matt » October 14th, 2019, 5:25 pm

We'll check it out :)

CloudXIV

Post by CloudXIV » October 14th, 2019, 5:35 pm

Thanks a lot and for the fast reply. :)

Takehaniyasubiko
/// CYBDYN SYSTEMS ELITE ///
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1002

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » October 15th, 2019, 1:50 am

Get a REDUMP-compatible .bin file (CRC-32: 672c5dab), use the attached CU2 file, and re-check.

I checked with Midboot and the voices played fine.
Attachments
Chaos Break (Europe) (En,Fr,De,It).CU2
(91 Bytes) Downloaded 10 times

CloudXIV

Post by CloudXIV » October 15th, 2019, 3:40 am

Thanks man I'll check it out as soon as I'm able to. This CU2 is different than all the others. Every CU2 I got (by converting or even downloading from a package posted on these forums) was identical, this is the first one that is actually different. I'm really wondering why, though?

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » October 15th, 2019, 4:24 am

CloudXIV wrote:
October 15th, 2019, 3:40 am
Thanks man I'll check it out as soon as I'm able to. This CU2 is different than all the others. Every CU2 I got (by converting or even downloading from a package posted on these forums) was identical, this is the first one that is actually different. I'm really wondering why, though?
This one will work, but check to make sure.

Obviously, your .bin must be merged properly, too (check if CRC-32 is 672c5dab).

CloudXIV

Post by CloudXIV » October 15th, 2019, 8:26 am

It worked! Thanks a lot again. But tell if You may. How did You produce that CU2? Every single result I had or downloaded was different. Even the one created by the system console when merging was like all the ones I got before. I'm asking, because I feel I may encounter a similar problem in the future and I'll be as clueless as I was now.

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » October 15th, 2019, 8:49 am

CloudXIV wrote:
October 15th, 2019, 8:26 am
Even the one created by the system console when merging was like all the ones I got before.
That's because Systems Console doesn't do bin merging properly. I've already mentioned this in different topics to Matt. I use a special Phyton script for merging bin files, and then use Systems Console to create a CU2 file. That way, everything is sector-perfect with the REDUMP database, which is the only way to make these games work as they should. Even the slightest change throws off the entire CD image structure. In some games you can get away with it because that will only change the timing of music playback, but this should never be encouraged because some games rely on perfect timestamps for the CD image.

I'm glad it worked since this is a cool game. I only wish other games could be fixed with a proper CU2. :<

CloudXIV

Post by CloudXIV » October 15th, 2019, 10:03 am

That's kind of a bummer. I was lead believe PSIO has exceptional compatibility, so I expected very few issues. Now this is only my 3rd game... Going through my backlog of somewhat obscure ps1 games I played Covert Ops: Nuclear Dawn and T.R.A.G. before Chaos Break. T.R.A.G. was smooth sailing, but Covert Ops did freeze on me twice. I'm not sure if it's PSIO's fault or maybe the images were whack, cause tried different ones and it didn't happen again, but who knows. Just now I had a problem with Chaos Break going black screen where there was supposed to be a loading screen. I have a suspicion it might be the EXTDSP mode K1V4, since when it's selected, the game never loads on 1st try, I have to hit reset, load again and then it works. I switched to K1V3 and it did not freeze on that same screen anymore. Again, I'm not sure if that's actually what helped. I'm not really knowledgeable when it comes to these things, so I'm just trying different things blindly.
Anyway, are there many games that have these issues?
Last edited by CloudXIV on October 15th, 2019, 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » October 15th, 2019, 10:15 am

I have a suspicion it might be the EXTDSP mode K1V4, since when it's selected, the game never loads on 1st try, I have to hit reset, load again and then it works.
Use Midboot with Chaos Break, not LoadExec with EXTDSP.
I was lead believe PSIO has exceptional compatibility, so I expected very few issues.
PSIO's compatibility is a big question mark because it keeps changing after each update. Right now, on V2.6.9, there's a lot of problems which weren't there before. On the other hand, some games work only with V2.6.9. For example, Blazing Dragons works only with V2.6.9, but WipEout doesn't work at all with V2.6.9, even though it worked before. It's quite jarring, I agree.

We're all rooting for Matt and Yuri, the PSIO devs, to finally fix the remaining compatibility issues and provide an accurate CD-ROM emulation, without any game-specific hacks, but it takes time, so we must be patient and hopeful.
Last edited by Takehaniyasubiko on October 15th, 2019, 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 » October 15th, 2019, 10:19 am

The easiest way to guarantee proper results with BIN merging using the Systems Console is to place all bins in the local C drive of your Windows PC before BIN merging and CU2 generation.

If you follow that procedure and still encounter bugs after trying all available EXTDSP modes it is most likely an incompatibility with the current firmware. A few games have had known issues for a while, and others have presented new issues due to the experimental changes in the more recent firmwares.

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » October 15th, 2019, 10:23 am

fernan1234 wrote:
October 15th, 2019, 10:19 am
The easiest way to guarantee proper results with BIN merging using the Systems Console is to place all bins in the local C drive of your Windows PC before BIN merging and CU2 generation.
That's not the only problem. Systems Console changes the timestamps while merging. Matt knows about it and I guess he'll fix it at some point, but for now it's best to use the Python script for perfect merging.

Chaos Break is compatible. Just use Midboot and the CU2 I've attached.

CloudXIV

Post by CloudXIV » October 15th, 2019, 2:07 pm

I played using K1V3 for a while, because I wanted to save the game, but the game froze eventually. I switched to midboot after that and had a long session without any issues. BTW can LoadExec actually cause game freezes? Not during loading,but right in the middle of playing? Because as I mentioned it did happen in Covert Ops and now with Chaos Break.

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » October 15th, 2019, 2:57 pm

CloudXIV wrote:
October 15th, 2019, 2:07 pm
I played using K1V3 for a while, because I wanted to save the game, but the game froze eventually. I switched to midboot after that and had a long session without any issues. BTW can LoadExec actually cause game freezes? Not during loading,but right in the middle of playing? Because as I mentioned it did happen in Covert Ops and now with Chaos Break.
Chaos Break is fully playable using Midboot and the CU2 I've attached. I've tested it myself. As for other games...

LoadExec is just an alternative method of booting games. There's no rhyme or reason to how this really works. Some games need a specific K1V mode using LoadExec, others need Midboot. You just need to try them all and see what works. Bare in mind that currently there are games which won't work at all with PSIO. Real 99.8% compatibility is expected to hit at some point, but the devs have to crack a few hard cases first (stuff like FFVII, which eats RAM like a hog and needs very accurate CD-ROM emulation).

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
I am a: Systems Designer
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502

Post by Matt » October 15th, 2019, 5:05 pm

Takehaniyasubiko wrote:
October 15th, 2019, 2:57 pm
CloudXIV wrote:
... and needs very accurate CD-ROM emulation.
You've already mentioned this prior to this post. Please don't start to repeat yourself again.

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » October 15th, 2019, 5:17 pm

Matt wrote:
October 15th, 2019, 5:05 pm
Takehaniyasubiko wrote:
October 15th, 2019, 2:57 pm
CloudXIV wrote:
... and needs very accurate CD-ROM emulation.
You've already mentioned this prior to this post. Please don't start to repeat yourself again.
Let's not get carried away here. CloudXIV was asking me about games with issues. That's why I mentioned FF7 to him (he is obviously a FF7 fan, because of the nick, so I wanted him to know what the problem is).

sajdor
Just Joined
Just Joined
I am a: Miner
PlayStation Model: 7502

Post by sajdor » October 16th, 2019, 1:55 am

Takehaniyasubiko wrote:
October 15th, 2019, 8:49 am
CloudXIV wrote:
October 15th, 2019, 8:26 am
Even the one created by the system console when merging was like all the ones I got before.
That's because Systems Console doesn't do bin merging properly. I've already mentioned this in different topics to Matt. I use a special Phyton script for merging bin files, and then use Systems Console to create a CU2 file. That way, everything is sector-perfect with the REDUMP database, which is the only way to make these games work as they should. Even the slightest change throws off the entire CD image structure. In some games you can get away with it because that will only change the timing of music playback, but this should never be encouraged because some games rely on perfect timestamps for the CD image.

I'm glad it worked since this is a cool game. I only wish other games could be fixed with a proper CU2. :<
Hey! Can you create a new topic with tutorial "how properly merge bin files in windows" ? New users like me didnt know about that problem ...
PSX SCPH-7502 + PSIO + OSSC with Sun X7146A = amazing !

NRGDEAD
I am a: Noob

Post by NRGDEAD » October 16th, 2019, 2:12 am

It's a somewhat rare case, the Systems Console relies on the filesystem/OS do the sorting based on filenames which fails on volumes that are not local and/or NTFS formatted. Cybdyn Systems has this on their todo list for what I know. In the meantime, a workaround is simply to copy the image to your desktop and let the Systems Console do the merging there. Shouldn't require a tutorial, really.
Cue2cu2 - Python script for creating CU2 sheets via command line on Linux/Mac/Windows.

PSIO wallpaper template in PSD format.

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » October 16th, 2019, 4:36 am

Even if Systems Console manages to merge bin files correctly, it still changes their timestamps in the CU2, which should not be happening. Games like Chaos Break prove that even a small change like removing the 2 seconds pregap can break something.

It's an easy fix, though. I'm sure it will be fixed in the next version of Systems Console.

CloudXIV

Post by CloudXIV » October 16th, 2019, 5:48 am

Takehaniyasubiko wrote:
October 15th, 2019, 5:17 pm
Let's not get carried away here. CloudXIV was asking me about games with issues. That's why I mentioned FF7 to him (he is obviously a FF7 fan, because of the nick, so I wanted him to know what the problem is).
I knew about FF7 even before buying the PSIO as it was obviously the most famous case of incompatibility. It didn't bother me though since there are multiple ways to play the game already and I played it like 12 million times, but a lot of games are pretty much ps1 only. Emulation is pretty great these days, but there is no easy way to connect a modern PC to an oldschool CRT TV and get good image quality (RGB). Way more hassle than it's worth probably. So PSIO is the best solution I think.