Ogre Battle

Software title information and feedback tested by customers
Forum rules
Before posting, make sure you have tried all the EXTDSP settings available found in the 'Options' in the Menu System! Also be sure to check JIRA if your game is currently not working and is already being worked on.
nightrnr

Ogre Battle

Post by nightrnr » September 12th, 2019, 8:50 pm

Alright, so this one is probably very low priority (being an SNES port and all), but I'd like to mention it anyway.

First off, Ogre Battle does work. However, the loading times are near unbearable (like up to 40 seconds sometimes. Once you are finally in a map, it's not terrible, but not great. Battles take like 12 seconds to load, but it used to be like a couple seconds. This has been an issue for at least the last 3 or 4 firmware releases.

Tried Ogre Battle in all modes with same results.

I have 2 PSIO equipped systems, one that I am keeping on much older firmware, due in part to this. Load times are super quick for that game on the older one (it's using Menu 1.1 rev 167, I can get the ARM/etc versions if wanted).

It really makes the game too tedious to play on recent releases.
Not sure if it's helpful, but I noticed that if you start a new game and put "MUSIC/ON" for the name to enter the sound test, most of the music tracks take like 17 seconds to load (excessive compared to original load times)

I did report this game just now, and wanted to share it here too.
Hey, maybe it could help troubleshooting the other games that are having load time issues too?

Takehaniyasubiko
/// CYBDYN SYSTEMS ELITE ///

Re: Ogre Battle

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » September 12th, 2019, 8:55 pm

This game was extremely unstable with the old firmwares (this is a very long JRPG with multiple paths, so testing it for an hour or two might not show it).

The load times from the retail disc are very long as well and this is a known problem with many SNES games ported to PS1 at the time.

However, right now PSIO has excessive load times in all games, so you should just wait for the next firmware and hope it finally brings the speed on par with the PS1 CD-ROM. That will ensure stability and compatibility. As it was painfully learned recently, you can't speed up the load times in PS1 games because they will break. For example, FF7 has random graphical corruption if the disc load speed is too fast.

nightrnr

Post by nightrnr » September 12th, 2019, 9:13 pm

Your generally correct there. However, I wouldn't assume all games would break with fast speeds, but definitely some.

Really, I just wish there was an option for the old speeds, using at your own discretion and risk. I would be worth it for the games that worked (even if only a few).

Ogre Battle has been irking me since I noticed it a few firmwares back though. Load times may have been longer on disc, but nowhere near this long and it wasn't this very recent firmware that slowed it down.

But I'm patient and I've made the report. (And have my buggy-fast system to mess around with ;)

Thanks for the reply.

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » September 12th, 2019, 9:21 pm

nightrnr wrote:
September 12th, 2019, 9:13 pm
Your generally correct there. However, I wouldn't assume all games would break with fast speeds, but definitely some.
It's so bad that Sony actually disabled the option to pick fast disc load for PS1 games on PS3 since they do break with them. This isn't an assumption. Ask the creator of Mednafen's PSX core if you don't believe me.
nightrnr wrote:
September 12th, 2019, 9:13 pm
Load times may have been longer on disc, but nowhere near this long and it wasn't this very recent firmware that slowed it down.
This last firmware elongated load times in all games, so it must have added a few seconds to this game as well. You really should wait for the next one, which is supposed to emulate the PS1 CD-ROM load times more accurately.

This PS1 port will always load longer than you'd like, though. If you really want fast load times for this particular game, you need to play the SNES version.

tclive
PlayStation Model: SCPH-7001

Post by tclive » September 12th, 2019, 9:26 pm

Matt has posted before about the potential to include a fast boot toggle at a later date, I believe, which would benefit games unaffected by speed compatibility.
SCPH-7001 - PSIO - OSSC - Otaku 6 Port RGB Scart Switch

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » September 12th, 2019, 9:27 pm

tclive wrote:
September 12th, 2019, 9:26 pm
Matt has posted before about the potential to include a fast boot toggle at a later date, I believe, which would benefit games unaffected by speed compatibility.
It would be OK as long as it featured a big warning to NOT post ANY problems with games using fast disc load.

NRGDEAD
I am a: Noob
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1002

Post by NRGDEAD » September 12th, 2019, 10:51 pm

It would also be okay without a warning. Maybe a quick reminder that it may break some games. Some might still be fixed on a semi-individual basis if time and resources allow. ;-)
Cue2cu2 - Python script for creating CU2 sheets via command line on Linux/Mac/Windows.

PSIO wallpaper template in PSD format.

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » September 12th, 2019, 10:55 pm

NRGDEAD wrote:
September 12th, 2019, 10:51 pm
It would also be okay without a warning. Maybe a quick reminder that it may break some games. Some might still be fixed on a semi-individual basis if time and resources allow. ;-)
Sony couldn't do it in their official PS1 emulators on three different system (PS2, PSP and PS3). It's safe to say these games can't be fixed for fast disc load unless you program them from scratch.