Xenogears Deus boss battle bug

Software title information and feedback tested by customers
Forum rules
Before posting, make sure you have tried all the EXTDSP settings available found in the 'Options' in the Menu System! Also be sure to check JIRA if your game is currently not working and is already being worked on.
XPreNN

Xenogears Deus boss battle bug

Post by XPreNN » September 1st, 2019, 6:21 am

I just encountered a bug during the "Deus" boss fight in Xenogears. I was looking up some info on what happened, and apparently it's a known bug when playing the game on anything but the original hardware. Example of discussion about this bug: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/19 ... s/45172694

I couldn't find any report of this in the PSIO issue tracker or on the forums. I presume this is something low prio, but might be something someone wants to solve.
I currently have a save file right before the fight, I can try to copy the save and post it somehow, if that helps.

Takehaniyasubiko
/// CYBDYN SYSTEMS ELITE ///

Re: Xenogears Deus boss battle bug

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » September 1st, 2019, 6:28 am

This is a load error.

Xenogears was supposed to be fixed in the new firmware, but I guess it was fixed only partially.

BTW, I've completed Xenogears on PSP numerous times and this doesn't happen with the load speed set to normal.

XPreNN

Post by XPreNN » September 1st, 2019, 6:36 am

I just tried to copy my save file to a different memory card, which didn't work for some reason. Then I tried copying to my first card, which failed. When I reset the console and tried loading, my save was gone. So I'm done with Xenogears.
Never fucking mind.

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » September 1st, 2019, 6:45 am

You might be done with it, but there's a lot of gamers who will want to play it to completion, obviously.

XPreNN

Post by XPreNN » September 1st, 2019, 6:50 am

Yes, of course. I'll set my current anger aside and try to help with a final bit of information. The save file right before the Deus boss fight had a label or name - not sure what the term for this is, but you probably know what I mean - of "Paradise". So "Paradise" is the location right before the Deus boss battle, if you go searching for a save file. I'm just going to read a lparchive of the game. Disc 2 is basically like reading a book anyway.

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » September 1st, 2019, 7:00 am

You checked this with the new firmware, right?

XPreNN

Post by XPreNN » September 1st, 2019, 7:07 am

Is this the "Menu System Version"? My PSIO reports I'm on 2.6 (Build 5). 18 DEC 2018. Doesn't sound like the latest. Is there some kind of newsletter or alert I can subscribe to for notification of new firmware versions?

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » September 1st, 2019, 7:18 am

XPreNN wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 7:07 am
Is this the "Menu System Version"? My PSIO reports I'm on 2.6 (Build 5). 18 DEC 2018. Doesn't sound like the latest. Is there some kind of newsletter or alert I can subscribe to for notification of new firmware versions?
No, there was an update a few days ago. Update your PSIO and check again because the new update is supposed to fix Xenogears.

Code: Select all

Firmwares
Last Updated: 29/AUGUST/2019. 

fernan1234
Lives in the Cybdyn Systems Server
Lives in the Cybdyn Systems Server

Post by fernan1234 » September 1st, 2019, 7:35 am

Xenogears is a fantastic game and it hurts to hear that someone's experience with it was affected like this. Really sorry to hear. At that point you were basically done with the game. After updating, I'd suggest finding a save file at the end of the game, and just go back in and fight the last boss so you can see the ending properly (and if you get the same problem, please report here so the game can be marked as still not fixed).

XPreNN

Post by XPreNN » September 1st, 2019, 7:37 am

Thanks for the info. I'll check if I my motivation returns to tinker with this. Right now I have to sleep on it. Does some kind of save file / memory card utility exist which works with the PSIO? I'll have to transfer a save file to my memory card now that mine is gone. Last I checked this didn't exist. (I'm kind of time restricted currently, hence my asking here instead of looking for it myself)

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » September 1st, 2019, 7:49 am

No, PSIO doesn't have any memory card utility. If you have FMCB for PS2, you can transfer a save file that way.

Maybe somebody else here can check this boss fight with the new firmware?

krisk77

Post by krisk77 » September 1st, 2019, 7:51 am

Just out of curiosity is it an official Sony MC your using?

3rd party ones are known to corrupt and delete saves, as it happened to me years ago using a 3rd party MC.
NTSC JP 5000 PU-8/PSIO Switchboard
NTSC JP 7000 PU-20/Mayumi 4 chip + PSIO Switchboard

PAL 7502 PU-22/Mayumi 4 Chip + PSIO Switchboard

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » September 1st, 2019, 8:04 am

Yeah, I never had any issues with save files on my genuine Sony MCs. Very strange to lose a save file like that and it obviously has nothing to do with PSIO.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
I am a: Systems Designer
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502

Post by Matt » September 1st, 2019, 12:09 pm

Here is the Xenogears [NTSC] Memory Card (in MCD format) data for the final 'deus' boss. The game works. Update your firmware. Note, that it is for the NTSC version of the game only. It won't work on PAL unless you convert it.

Also, technically your corrupted Memory Card data can be restored. There is a restore sector on the cards, but only with genuine Sony cards. 3rd party ones do corrupt data exactly like what happened to you just now because they are cheap Chinese quality with horrid 'chip on board' designs.

memcard2.zip
Xenogears NTSC Save
(2.76 KiB) Downloaded 10 times

Attachments
IMG_4137.JPG
(258.76 KiB) Not downloaded yet
maxresdefault.jpg
(83.81 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » September 1st, 2019, 1:24 pm

There is no PAL version of Xenogears.

The Deus battle only freezes during a certain attack. Was that checked?
The game freezes up on a specific move that Deus can randomly try to do. As already discussed, the randomness is what allows you to get past this part (by repeating until you can kill him without his doing it). The move is (when playing on PS1 where it doesn't glitch) where he tries to do a direct physical attack at someone (if memory serves, it's by swiping them with his tail). That particular move will freeze the game on pretty much anything but a PS1.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » September 1st, 2019, 1:25 pm

Takehaniyasubiko wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 1:24 pm
There is no PAL version of Xenogears.

The Deus battle only freezes during a certain attack. Was that checked?
The game freezes up on a specific move that Deus can randomly try to do. As already discussed, the randomness is what allows you to get past this part (by repeating until you can kill him without his doing it). The move is (when playing on PS1 where it doesn't glitch) where he tries to do a direct physical attack at someone (if memory serves, it's by swiping them with his tail). That particular move will freeze the game on pretty much anything but a PS1.
Yes, but there is a Japanese version.

Yes, it was checked. Several times.

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » September 1st, 2019, 1:28 pm

Matt wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 1:25 pm
Yes, but there is a Japanese version.

Yes, it was checked. Several times.
Japan would be NTSC as well, so it might be confusing. The clear distinction would be NTSC-J and NTSC-U.

If the tail attack doesn't freeze the game, then it's definitely working.

XPreNN

Post by XPreNN » September 1st, 2019, 4:26 pm

Matt wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 12:09 pm
Here is the Xenogears [NTSC] Memory Card (in MCD format) data for the final 'deus' boss. The game works. Update your firmware. Note, that it is for the NTSC version of the game only. It won't work on PAL unless you convert it.

Also, technically your corrupted Memory Card data can be restored. There is a restore sector on the cards, but only with genuine Sony cards. 3rd party ones do corrupt data exactly like what happened to you just now because they are cheap Chinese quality with horrid 'chip on board' designs.

memcard2.zip

Thank you for your thorough reply. I'm going to look into restoring the save file. My memory card in slot 1 is genuine and the one that had the save on it, the card in slot 2 is a knock-off, and was the one I was trying to copy to. I was doing this using the in-game menu in xenogears. The copy failed and the in-game memory card utility went wonky. I tried saving the game to a different block on the genuine card instead of copying, but that failed now as well. Finally - keep in mind I was really tired, my decision making was compromised - I tried overwriting the existing save. This failed as well, and after reboot the file was gone. The only thing I tried after that whole debacle was accessing the card and loading the empty block with the in-game utility. Perhaps recovery is possible...
Then I'll update everything and personally check if the new firmware works. I know it has already been tested by this wonderful community, but I'm going to do it out of principle! :)

XPreNN

Post by XPreNN » September 1st, 2019, 5:31 pm

Matt wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 12:09 pm
Also, technically your corrupted Memory Card data can be restored. There is a restore sector on the cards, but only with genuine Sony cards.
So the card that had the save file is genuine. I've been looking for more information on how to access the recovery sector on the card, but I can't seem to find anything about this. Can I do this in FreeMcboot? Do I need a Memory card to PC adapter?

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » September 1st, 2019, 5:57 pm

It's not straight forward. You need to use old Sony development tools to attempt recovery.