Tomb Raider 1 and 2 broken (unplayable) due to a crash using System Menu V2.6.6 [FIXED 2.6.7]

Software title information and feedback tested by customers
Forum rules
Before posting, make sure you have tried all the EXTDSP settings available found in the 'Options' in the Menu System! Also be sure to check JIRA if your game is currently not working and is already being worked on.
wanderer
Lives in the Cybdyn Systems Server
I am a: wanderer
PlayStation Model: scph-1002

Re: Tomb Raider 1 and 2 broken (unplayable) due to a crash using System Menu V2.6.6 [FIXED 2.6.7]

Post by wanderer » October 11th, 2019, 11:46 pm

I think that Lara's tutorial explanations in the manor are audio tracks not voice files.

Takehaniyasubiko
/// CYBDYN SYSTEMS ELITE ///
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1002

Re: Tomb Raider 1 and 2 broken (unplayable) due to a crash using System Menu V2.6.6 [FIXED 2.6.7]

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » October 11th, 2019, 11:48 pm

wanderer wrote:
October 11th, 2019, 11:46 pm
I think that Lara's tutorial explanations in the manor are audio tracks not voice files.
They are either CD-DA tracks or XA files. I'll check in a minute with the game's files, but either way this only happens with voices, not with the music.
Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, an afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four, five times more, perhaps not even that.
― Paul Bowles

NRGDEAD
I am a: Noob

Post by NRGDEAD » October 11th, 2019, 11:58 pm

They are CDDA.
Cue2cu2: A Python script for creating CU2 sheets via the command line on Linux/Mac/Windows.
GitHub / Forum

PSIO wallpaper template in Photoshop format.

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » October 12th, 2019, 12:03 am

NRGDEAD wrote:
October 11th, 2019, 11:58 pm
They are CDDA.
Yes, they are. The game's folders only have level data and FMVs.
Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, an afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four, five times more, perhaps not even that.
― Paul Bowles

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
I am a: Systems Designer
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502

Post by Matt » October 12th, 2019, 12:39 am

Okay, try adjusting the CU2 sheet for that track :)

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » October 12th, 2019, 12:49 am

Matt wrote:
October 12th, 2019, 12:39 am
Okay, try adjusting the CU2 sheet for that track :)
My CU2 is perfectly synced with the redump data and this worked on 2.6.5.
― Paul Bowles

wanderer
I am a: wanderer
PlayStation Model: scph-1002

Post by wanderer » October 12th, 2019, 12:50 am

I remember having a problem of cut-off tracks with tomb raider 1 and 2. Could it be that the developpers did a bad job on timing the audio tracks ?

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » October 12th, 2019, 12:54 am

wanderer wrote:
October 12th, 2019, 12:50 am
I remember having a problem of cut-off tracks with tomb raider 1 and 2. Could it be that the developpers did a bad job on timing the audio tracks ?
No because I have these games from PSN and they play perfectly on PS3 and PSP.

I think this will "solve itself" once the overall CD-ROM emulation is improved for other games. It used to work before, anyway, so it's clear the game doesn't like the current timings.
― Paul Bowles

Listai
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by Listai » October 12th, 2019, 8:44 am

Takehaniyasubiko wrote:
October 11th, 2019, 11:21 pm
Matt wrote:
October 11th, 2019, 11:19 pm
So the problem is that CDDA is getting cut off early?
The voice files are getting cut-off early, not the music tracks.
Yeah exactly.

It seems slightly random where they're getting cut off but its always early.

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » November 27th, 2019, 12:44 am

The gameplay itself is OK in both Tomb Raider 1 & 2 on 2.6.10, but the intro of Tomb Raider 2 doesn't play properly. There's a slight frame skipping, most noticeable in the dark temple where the two guys are with torches. For example, when one of them is approaching the pedestal to insert the dagger, there's a wide shot where his body jerks to the right. From CD, it all plays perfectly smooth.
― Paul Bowles

fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 » November 27th, 2019, 6:41 am

Do you think you could capture this frame skipping on video and post it? On 2.6.5 (ARM 2.6.1) I tried to pay attention to that part, it seems to play completely smoothly to my eyes.

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » November 27th, 2019, 6:47 am

fernan1234 wrote:
November 27th, 2019, 6:41 am
Do you think you could capture this frame skipping on video and post it? On 2.6.5 (ARM 2.6.1) I tried to pay attention to that part, it seems to play completely smoothly to my eyes.
I could with PS Vita, but it's hard to film a CRT screen!

The smoothness is not there all the time. The first part of the intro appears smooth, but once they enter the temple, you can see slight jerkiness. It's best to directly compare with the intro running from disc.

When the jerkiness happens, it's less than a second. You might simply not see it at first, but once you see it, it's pretty annoying. Either way, it definitely shouldn't happen.

I mean 2.6.10 (ARM 2.6.6).
― Paul Bowles

James-F

Post by James-F » December 7th, 2019, 8:46 pm

It plays completely smooth here too, I have tested several times.
I am very sensitive to video stutter and missed frames too, so I could not have missed that.

Try to copy TR2 to the SD with another name, and try again.
Maybe cluster fragmentation?
Try a different SD card to check if it's not the sd card that's slowing down.
SCPH-7000 (x2), SCPH-7501, SCPH-101, SCPH-102

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » December 8th, 2019, 1:44 am

It is not an issue on my side. This happens in the second part of the intro, but it's so slight that it can go unnoticed. This didn't happen in the old FW, anyway, so it cannot be the card. Besides, I'm using the same SanDisk Class 10 card as Matt.
― Paul Bowles