Tomb Raider 1 and 2 broken (unplayable) due to a crash using System Menu V2.6.6 [FIXED 2.6.7]

Software title information and feedback tested by customers
Forum rules
Before posting, make sure you have tried all the EXTDSP settings available found in the 'Options' in the Menu System! Also be sure to check JIRA if your game is currently not working and is already being worked on.
krisk77
/// CYBDYN SYSTEMS ELITE ///

Tomb Raider 1 and 2 broken (unplayable) due to a crash using System Menu V2.6.6 [FIXED 2.6.7]

Post by krisk77 » August 31st, 2019, 9:29 am

Matt, you have killed my Tomb Raider's :cry: :cry: :crying

Both 1 and 2 freeze on a black screen with the sound looping when you try to load it. All KV modes, including Midboot checked and make no difference. Both are US/NTSC redump verified and have working CU2 sheets and have both worked fine with previous updates since September 2018.

I have yet to check the remaining Tomb raider III, IV and V. Edit: Takehaniyasubiko has checked these and they are working as intended

Proof here using Tomb Raider II and the 1st one does exactly the same in the same spot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX6RvRHl6J8

Edit: **Fixed in V2.6.7**
Last edited by krisk77 on September 7th, 2019, 6:22 pm, edited 7 times in total.
NTSC JP 5000 PU-8/PSIO Switchboard
NTSC JP 7000 PU-20/Mayumi 4 chip + PSIO Switchboard

PAL 7502 PU-22/Mayumi 4 Chip + PSIO Switchboard

Takehaniyasubiko

Re: Tomb Raider 1 and 2 broken (unplayable) due to a crash using System Menu V2.6.6

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » August 31st, 2019, 9:44 am

Confirming.

Tomb Raider 1-2 are completely broken now - black screen of death, none of the modes do anything.

Tomb Raider 3, 4 and Chronicles still work.

fernan1234
Lives in the Cybdyn Systems Server

Re: Tomb Raider 1 and 2 broken (unplayable) due to a crash using System Menu V2.6.6

Post by fernan1234 » August 31st, 2019, 10:45 am

Oh no, and these are big titles! Since rolling back firmwares became impossible I was worried about exactly this problem of new firmwares that fix some games but also break previously working games. Matt said this wouldn't be a problem as each update would simply increase compatibility, but clearly that's not the case.

This may even give an incentive for people to buy a clone just to be able to use the older firmware :(

What's confusing is that the older EXTDSP modes don't work either. Were those modified as well with the addition of the new midboot/K1V4 mode?

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
I am a: Systems Designer
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502

Post by Matt » August 31st, 2019, 10:49 am

fernan1234 wrote:
August 31st, 2019, 10:45 am
Oh no, and these are big titles! Since rolling back firmwares became impossible I was worried about exactly this problem of new firmwares that fix some games but also break previously working games. Matt said this wouldn't be a problem as each update would simply increase compatibility, but clearly that's not the case.

This may even give an incentive for people to buy a clone just to be able to use the older firmware :(

What's confusing is that the older EXTDSP modes don't work either. Were those modified as well with the addition of the new midboot/K1V4 mode?
The firmware had a lot of changes done to the timing so it's bound to break a few but we'll get them fixed. No, the original EXTDSP modes were not touched, but we do clear some of the kernel now. What I might do is make that a separate option in the upcoming version.

Jaggy
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1001

Post by Jaggy » August 31st, 2019, 11:34 am

Glad I haven’t had a chance to update yet, I’m just finishing up a play-through of Tomb Raider and that would have been pretty annoying! Looks like I’ll be waiting for the fix before updating.

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » September 1st, 2019, 12:17 am

BTW, this applies to other versions of Tomb Raider 1-2, not just the re-editions with launchers. The early versions will boot to the main menu, but there's a black screen of death after selecting New Game.
Matt wrote:
August 31st, 2019, 10:49 am
The firmware had a lot of changes done to the timing so it's bound to break a few but we'll get them fixed.
There are thousands of PS1 games. How do we know which are broken now in such a short time? We need something reliable and accurate, so that even Jackie Chan NTSC works. Otherwise, the timing changes will keep moving compatibility around in a circle - fix this, break that.

James-F

Post by James-F » September 1st, 2019, 12:47 am

I'd keep a text file on the desktop with the games that you think you should re-test with each firmware.
SCPH-7000, SCPH-7501, SCPH-101/102

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » September 1st, 2019, 12:50 am

James-F wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 12:47 am
I'd keep a text file on the desktop with the games that you think you should re-test with each firmware.
This is totally random. Nobody could guess this. The only way to make sure is to put more time into analysing the CD-ROM mechanics and trying to recreate them as accurately as possible in FPGA. For example, I know that even Sony realized that faster load times break many PS1 games and they had to add the "Normal Speed" option to their PS1 emulators for PSP/PSV/PS3. It was even added to PS2 before and that was using an actual physical CD-ROM designed by Sony. It really tells you how precise things need to be. It's not a generic PC game which just works with faster hardware.

krisk77

Post by krisk77 » September 1st, 2019, 1:33 am

Takehaniyasubiko wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 12:17 am
BTW, this applies to other versions of Tomb Raider 1-2, not just the re-editions with launchers. The early versions will boot to the main menu, but there's a black screen of death after selecting New Game.
Thanks for confirming because I was going to look at the rest of the other versions in the Redump set, as the first Tomb Raider has up to V1.6.

Andrey39rume

Post by Andrey39rume » September 1st, 2019, 1:39 am

I hope that the new firmware will be released soon, at least adjustments will be made and broken games will work again. In the case of Final Fantasy VII and other similar games, you can wait.

Tobiasrieper
Seriously Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by Tobiasrieper » September 2nd, 2019, 8:26 am

First game I've tried . I'm using Tomb Raider USA first version. New game then it just goes to black screen :(
My Parasite Eve works flawlessly so I'm still a happy bunny. Sure hope you can fix the TRs and REs.

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » September 2nd, 2019, 6:46 pm

I just hope crashes like this in new firmware can eventually lead to better compatibility via debugging. Matt can now check what went wrong and adjust the timing even more precisely.

As for other games, it's a more complex matter. RE2-3 don't work properly for ages now, so there's clearly something wrong in the FPGA logic and a mere timing adjustment won't fix them.

mario64

Post by mario64 » September 3rd, 2019, 12:10 pm

Andrey39rume wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 1:39 am
I hope that the new firmware will be released soon, at least adjustments will be made and broken games will work again. In the case of Final Fantasy VII and other similar games, you can wait.
I'd like to add my voice in support of this. Waiting months for new firmware is not the ideal way to address compatibility issues. It assumes the new firmware won't break anything which is of course never true. I would like to see monthly firmware updates, especially given that some of the PSX's top games are now broken. New features can be added when ready but we need game fixes ASAP. Game compatibility > all else

krisk77

Post by krisk77 » September 3rd, 2019, 9:00 pm

Thanks for the quick update Matt. Works in V2.6.7 and can continue my saves and playthroughs again.

Tobiasrieper

Re: Tomb Raider 1 and 2 broken (unplayable) due to a crash using System Menu V2.6.6 [FIXED 2.6.7]

Post by Tobiasrieper » September 8th, 2019, 8:05 pm

Yes, thanks Matt. I can confirm Tomb Raider 1, 2 and 3 work without a hitch. :D I'm using the US versions.

Listai

Re: Tomb Raider 1 and 2 broken (unplayable) due to a crash using System Menu V2.6.6 [FIXED 2.6.7]

Post by Listai » October 11th, 2019, 6:33 pm

Can anybody confirm the dialogue skips in TR 1 in the mansion tutorial level?, I have tried two redump verified NTSC dumps on all EXDP modes and on each it cuts off Lara's dialogue at random points but always before the line finishes (other than the first line when you load into the level).

NRGDEAD
I am a: Noob
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1002

Post by NRGDEAD » October 11th, 2019, 9:42 pm

I'm using the German PAL Redump version. I just tried it once and it got cut off on the first and I think around the third "parkour obstacle" in the ball room. The rest of the Red Book audio played as expected.
Cue2cu2 - Python script for creating CU2 sheets via command line on Linux/Mac/Windows.

PSIO wallpaper template in PSD format.

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » October 11th, 2019, 10:16 pm

Listai wrote:
October 11th, 2019, 6:33 pm
Can anybody confirm the dialogue skips in TR 1 in the mansion tutorial level?, I have tried two redump verified NTSC dumps on all EXDP modes and on each it cuts off Lara's dialogue at random points but always before the line finishes (other than the first line when you load into the level).
Yes, I can confirm them. It's a problem with the current firmware (2.6.9).

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
I am a: Systems Designer
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502

Post by Matt » October 11th, 2019, 11:19 pm

So the problem is that CDDA is getting cut off early?

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » October 11th, 2019, 11:21 pm

Matt wrote:
October 11th, 2019, 11:19 pm
So the problem is that CDDA is getting cut off early?
The voice files are getting cut-off early, not the music tracks.