Resident Evil 3 ntsc dialogue sound disappears reappears with long loading

Software title information and feedback tested by customers
Forum rules
Before posting, make sure you have tried all the EXTDSP settings available found in the 'Options' in the Menu System! Also be sure to check JIRA if your game is currently not working and is already being worked on.
paulkakanis
I am a: Gamer
PlayStation Model: SPCH 7001

Resident Evil 3 ntsc dialogue sound disappears reappears with long loading

Post by paulkakanis » December 18th, 2018, 11:52 am

Alright, this is a post I've actually taken down before because I thought I was causing it by using a gameshark. I've since played through the game without it and this occurs throughout.

So there will be times with lines of dialogue drop out. A character will be talking, but the next line never comes. Sometimes it stays that way for the duration of the conversation. Sometimes the sound comes back the very next line of dialogue. What's truly weird is that when i reload the game, the dialogue audio will cut out again, but different pieces. So the piece that was dropped LAST time comes through fine, and another piece that worked previously disappears.

I'm not sure if it's related but occasionally on transitions like opening doors and whatnot the game will take 5 to 10 seconds to load, when typically it's only about 1 or so. During this 5 to 10 seconds the music still keeps playing, and the game has never frozen up or anything, it just takes a while. Sometimes this delay happens in the opening scene running away from zombies. Other times it takes 15 minutes or so to manifest. I've tried multiple audio modes and various dumps of the game and it happens in all of them. Just tested it with the newest firmware (thinking maybe the Metal Gear Solid load delay was something similar and since IT was fixed, this might have been as well). No dice, still acting up.

So to sum up, pieces of audio dialogue are randomly dropping out, and some transitions take 4 to 5 times longer than usual, but always end up loading.

If I had to wager a guess, the audio that's dropping out seems to be doing it when the cd would normally zip to the next audio file during a conversation, but that's just a guess. Because it's totally random and continuously changes which audio loads and which doesn't, I'm not sure what's causing it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, this is one of my all time favorite games and I hate that pieces of dialogue are missing! I can live with the long load screens every now and again if I absolutely have to, but not that amazing super cheesy B movie dialogue! Save me Matt!
Last edited by paulkakanis on December 20th, 2018, 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

krisk77
/// CYBDYN SYSTEMS ELITE ///

Re: Resident Evil 3 ntsc dialogue sound disappears reappears with long loading

Post by krisk77 » December 19th, 2018, 10:17 am

Which pieces of dialogue drop out? Any specific ones that are reproducible? I played about 10 mins of it (NTSC/U Redump) and own rip from original USA DISC and it seemed fine, doors opening as they would with the same load times of the disc and the conversation at the start with the guy didn't seem out of sync or out of the ordinary.

Have you tried any different SD card brands/speed/FAT32/Exfat/different allocation sizes?

I use a Sandisk 256gb SD (Exfat - 1024k Cluster size)
NTSC JP 5000 PU-8/PSIO Switchboard
NTSC JP 7000 PU-20/Mayumi 4 chip + PSIO Switchboard

PAL 7502 PU-22/Mayumi 4 Chip + PSIO Switchboard

paulkakanis

Post by paulkakanis » December 19th, 2018, 1:37 pm

As I posted, the dialogue is random and happens randomly. I've found a way to reproduce the slow loading though. I can do it by going through the same door over and over, but that can be super tedious.

Most reliable way: Press the select button (to get to the game menu with Vibration options and such) 20 or so times. Meaning you ENTER and EXIT the menu 10 times. Usually it'll lock up by the 5th or 6th enter and exit for me. You can do this anytime anywhere in the game. Just start ENTERING and EXITING that select menu and it'll lock up after a few tries.

I have tried this successfully on every rip I have (including my own from a retail copy of the game, and on 3 different brands of SD card with ex fat and 1024 cluster just as you have.

I know this isn't a massive problem, but when running through the city I'll get the slow lock up loading every time I have to cross the city and it really gets old when you're playing a long session.

Give it a shot and see if you can reproduce it.

Thanks!!!

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
I am a: Systems Designer
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502

Post by Matt » December 19th, 2018, 2:24 pm

I'll try this out tonight and let you know my results.

krisk77

Post by krisk77 » December 19th, 2018, 8:56 pm

paulkakanis wrote:
December 19th, 2018, 1:37 pm
As I posted, the dialogue is random and happens randomly. I've found a way to reproduce the slow loading though. I can do it by going through the same door over and over, but that can be super tedious.

Most reliable way: Press the select button (to get to the game menu with Vibration options and such) 20 or so times. Meaning you ENTER and EXIT the menu 10 times. Usually it'll lock up by the 5th or 6th enter and exit for me. You can do this anytime anywhere in the game. Just start ENTERING and EXITING that select menu and it'll lock up after a few tries.

I have tried this successfully on every rip I have (including my own from a retail copy of the game, and on 3 different brands of SD card with ex fat and 1024 cluster just as you have.

I know this isn't a massive problem, but when running through the city I'll get the slow lock up loading every time I have to cross the city and it really gets old when you're playing a long session.

Thanks!!!
I just tried what you said and entered and exited the option screen (select button) around 12 times in a quick succession . On the 8th attempt when exiting, it froze on a black screen for about 5 secs and thereafter, some doors did the exact same thing (a black screen delay)
NTSC JP 5000 PU-8/PSIO Switchboard
NTSC JP 7000 PU-20/Mayumi 4 chip + PSIO Switchboard

PAL 7502 PU-22/Mayumi 4 Chip + PSIO Switchboard

zredgemz
Lives in the Cybdyn Systems Server
PlayStation Model: SCPH-5501

Post by zredgemz » December 20th, 2018, 2:41 am

I'll test this when i get home today.

zredgemz
PlayStation Model: SCPH-5501

Post by zredgemz » December 20th, 2018, 9:52 am

paulkakanis wrote:
December 19th, 2018, 1:37 pm

Thanks!!!
I am getting a delayed reaction for sure after a for sure but so far the option thing works a bit but definitely a bug here. Going to play futher in to get the voice bug.

Edit: after doing the above i get delayed menus for picking up items too. It happens randomly though.

Also delayed movement between screens of a section without using a door. Ok confirmed everything here. It's happening.

Final edit: since resident evil 2 uses the same engine i gave that a check. Couldn't get the option menu thing to happen but i did get a pause opening up a door. Ntsc dual shock ver.

paulkakanis

Post by paulkakanis » December 31st, 2018, 3:56 pm

Matt, any progress on diagnosing or fixing this?

Thanks!!!

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » December 31st, 2018, 3:58 pm

No, Yuri is on holidays so we'll check it when he comes back. This time of year isn't good for customer support unfortunately, but we'll get back into it in a few days :)

Yuri
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
I am a: Embedded Developer

Post by Yuri » January 16th, 2019, 10:05 am

it's good if someone can make a vid)
I couldn't reproduce, or it didn't stop working for. maybe some longer loading between menu scene and options (after enter - exit few time)

paulkakanis

Post by paulkakanis » January 17th, 2019, 12:28 am

I'll make a video in the next day or so for you. However the long loading after entering and exiting is the primary concern for me. Any idea why it's doing it?

wanderer
Seriously Active at Cybdyn Systems
Seriously Active at Cybdyn Systems
I am a: wanderer
PlayStation Model: scph-1002

Post by wanderer » February 6th, 2019, 2:35 am

I can say that SLUS-00748 (Resident Evil 2 Dualshock Ver Leon Disc NTSC-US) also has the long door transition problem. I haven't tried SLUS-00756 (Claire's Disc) yet. It did it to me once and I played until I reached the STARS office before it happened.

Yuri
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Yuri » February 11th, 2019, 7:25 pm

I see it happend sometimes, randomly. as far as I see, that's another example of using customized code of cd-library. non-standart behavior in some cases

fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 » February 18th, 2019, 3:41 pm

While playing Resident Evil 2 I had the slow door loading happen a few times with Clair's disc (disc 2), but with Leon's disc I actually get a lock up/black screen (no image read LED activity on the PSIO) randomly when opening doors. Is there any hope of fixing this in a future firmware, or are we screwed due to the non-standard code of CD library?

edit2: after playing more RE2 I noticed that no LED during black screen eventually does read the image again, perhaps when I thought the game had locked up I didn't wait enough? Also happens on RE3 as noted by other users. It seems to happen quite frequently on RE3. For some reason it happens a lot more on the Leon disc, whereas on the Clair disc it only happened to me three or so times in a whole playthrough.

Yuri
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Yuri » February 19th, 2019, 7:33 pm

yeah, it will be investigated)

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » April 23rd, 2019, 5:51 am

If this can't be fixed, then it's really going to be a big scar on PSIO because a) these are flaghsip PS1 games b) I'm sure the PS1catalgoue has more games with "customized code of cd-library" and PSIO should run them all since it's supposed to have 99.9% compatibility.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » April 23rd, 2019, 1:12 pm

RE3 used to work fine so it's something in the new logic which has caused it to happen. We're looking into it...

fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 » April 23rd, 2019, 2:50 pm

Matt wrote:
April 23rd, 2019, 1:12 pm
RE3 used to work fine so it's something in the new logic which has caused it to happen. We're looking into it...
It'll be a bit scary to upgrade to the next firmware knowing that a new logic that fixes stuff may also break games that worked before.

I'd like to request that you guys start making available at least a couple of older firmware downloads along with the new one for registered users. That way in the unfortunate event that a regression in compatibility happens, at least people will have options to rollback the firmware, making it less likely that people will feel misled by the 99.9% compatibility claim (the download could also include a text file listing games with known issues to reduce bad surprises).

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » April 23rd, 2019, 4:11 pm

fernan1234 wrote:
April 23rd, 2019, 2:50 pm
Matt wrote:
April 23rd, 2019, 1:12 pm
It'll be a bit scary to upgrade to the next firmware knowing that a new logic that fixes stuff may also break games that worked before.

I'd like to request that you guys start making available at least a couple of older firmware downloads along with the new one for registered users. That way in the unfortunate event that a regression in compatibility happens, at least people will have options to rollback the firmware, making it less likely that people will feel misled by the 99.9% compatibility claim (the download could also include a text file listing games with known issues to reduce bad surprises).
The logic in the cartridge doesn't work like that however. It's not possible. We need to fix the problems and perfect the firmware in each update.

Yuri
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Yuri » April 23rd, 2019, 7:11 pm

it can be fixed)
just it takes longer time to figure out why it happens)
in most cases non-standard lib is used by the same game company