Final Fantasy VI Freezing at Cave to Sealed Gate

Problems or Issues related to games running on PSIO. Also check what other users have found or researched.
Forum rules
Before posting, make sure you have tried all the EXTDSP settings available found in the 'Options' in the Menu System! Also be sure to check JIRA if your game is currently not working and is already being worked on.
ka55
Lives in the Cybdyn Systems Server
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1000

Re: Final Fantasy VI Freezing at Cave to Sealed Gate

Post by ka55 » November 21st, 2020, 6:24 pm

kikujade wrote:
November 20th, 2020, 2:13 am
ka55 wrote:
November 17th, 2020, 10:14 am
I am enjoying the game, but it seems that the snes version is better than the ps1 version.
It's a matter of opinion. To me, the best version would the snes original with some of the restoration patches that have a gazillion bug fixes, decensorship, script cleanup etc. There are 2 different existing patches with the same intent, one based on the original translation from Ted Woolsey, and one based on the gba translator Tom Slattery. I used the latter recently as I was already very familiar with the former.

Unless you take Take-knowitall's opinion as fact, I'd say look up opinions on forums and make up your own mind. Playing it on the PSIO will definitely improve the experience though.
In my case, snes has the advantage of having a Portuguese translation done by fans and I applied the patch that removes all censorship from the game's sprites. But maybe I'll finish the game on PS1 and then play SNES in Portuguese.
PlayStation SCPH-1000 PU-7 and SCPH-5500 PU-18 :D

Takehaniyasubiko
/// CYBDYN SYSTEMS ELITE ///
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1002

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » November 21st, 2020, 6:56 pm

I hope we will see that legendary save file soon.
Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, an afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four, five times more, perhaps not even that.
― Paul Bowles

Kito1984
I am a: Interpreter
Motto: Do no harm
PlayStation Model: SCPH-5500
Steam: kito_2003

Post by Kito1984 » November 21st, 2020, 7:43 pm

Takehaniyasubiko wrote:
November 21st, 2020, 6:56 pm
I hope we will see that legendary save file soon.
We will. I'm starting the game now too, because this has to be fixed. And I like PS1 version better too :)

sarty51
PlayStation Model: SCPH-7501

Post by sarty51 » November 22nd, 2020, 10:48 am

I have the save file ready to send. Pulled it using uLaunchELF. Now how do I send or attach it to the forum lol. I don't see an option for file attachment.

sarty51

Post by sarty51 » November 22nd, 2020, 10:56 am

Ok its attached. I copy and pasted directly from free McBoot ulaunch elf. Windows doesnt recognize the file as any specific file type. I do not know if I did this right. If this is incorrect please let me know and what steps I need to take. Hopefully this works out. Thanks.
Attachments
FF6 Save.zip
(1.61 KiB) Downloaded 5 times

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » November 22nd, 2020, 11:07 am

Yes, you did it correctly, sarty51. That's a raw save file, which is what's needed on real hardware. Matt will just have to copy it to his MC and check the freezing.

You should also explain to him exactly where to go and what to do after loading that save file.
Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, an afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four, five times more, perhaps not even that.
― Paul Bowles

sarty51

Post by sarty51 » November 22nd, 2020, 11:13 am

Matt,

To get where you need to go leave the cave where the save area is and just head right. With battles and all the bullshit probably will take about 30-40 mins of your time. Thanks.

wanderer
I am a: wanderer
PlayStation Model: scph-1002

Post by wanderer » November 22nd, 2020, 11:46 am

I put sarty51's save on my MC and tried FF6 with Midboot. The game freezes after kefka says "Frightful energy!!" shortly after the battle with him. You can press R1+L1 to run away from battles to get out of the cave faster.

I actually don't know FF6, one of the many games I want to beat.

bikerspade
Seriously Active at Cybdyn Systems
Seriously Active at Cybdyn Systems
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1001

Post by bikerspade » November 22nd, 2020, 11:55 am

What version of the disc is locking up? Rev 1 or the original?

wanderer
I am a: wanderer
PlayStation Model: scph-1002

Post by wanderer » November 22nd, 2020, 12:13 pm

bikerspade wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 11:55 am
I tried FF6 from the anthology compilation. I don't have any other version, but it should probably be the same for all rev / versions.

sarty51

Post by sarty51 » November 22nd, 2020, 12:25 pm

bikerspade wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 11:55 am

Both

ka55
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1000

Post by ka55 » November 22nd, 2020, 12:54 pm

wanderer wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 11:46 am
I put sarty51's save on my MC and tried FF6 with Midboot. The game freezes after kefka says "Frightful energy!!" shortly after the battle with him. You can press R1+L1 to run away from battles to get out of the cave faster.

I actually don't know FF6, one of the many games I want to beat.
Here, too, the game freezes on that part.

PlayStation SCPH-1000 PU-7 and SCPH-5500 PU-18 :D

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » November 22nd, 2020, 2:43 pm

Like I said from the start, it looks like a timing issue since it was freezing the same way in emulators many years ago, before they got more accurate.
― Paul Bowles

Kito1984
I am a: Interpreter
Motto: Do no harm
PlayStation Model: SCPH-5500
Steam: kito_2003

Post by Kito1984 » November 22nd, 2020, 8:27 pm

Thank you, sarty51! I'm currently in Kohlingen myself, will reach the cursed place :D in a couple of days. Hopefully it will be fixed by then :P

BTW, loading times are very good with PSIO, maybe there is a difference if you measure it with a timer, but I could easily think that I'm playing from cartridge if I didn't know better. And CGI intro gets you right in the mood for some fantasy. Pure perfection! SNES is going to the drawer :D

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » November 22nd, 2020, 8:29 pm

Kito1984 wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 8:27 pm
BTW, loading times are very good with PSIO, maybe there is a difference if you measure it with a timer, but I could easily think that I'm playing from cartridge if I didn't know better.
They are the same from a healthy CD-ROM. Most people played this version with worn-out CD-ROMs and didn't realize that's the problem, not the port itself.
― Paul Bowles