PSIO Development Discussion Thread

Official Development, Research and Progress directly from Cybdyn Systems
Forum rules
This section is for development news, research, bug fixes, progress, changes and information in regards to PSIO directly posted from Cybdyn Systems. Do not post any questions here relating to your order as they will be deleted. Instead, please go back and create a new post in the "Help and Support" forum. Thanks.
User avatar
Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Posts: 4476
Joined: December 31st, 2012, 5:37 pm
I am a: Systems Designer
PlayStation Model: H2700/5502
Location: Australia
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 85 times
Contact:

Re: PSIO Development Discussion Thread

Post by Matt » May 30th, 2021, 11:05 pm

I'll add it in soon :)

Starface
Member
Member
Posts: 12
Joined: March 15th, 2019, 9:39 pm

Re: PSIO Development Discussion Thread

Post by Starface » June 1st, 2021, 7:47 pm

Hello to all! First of all, thank you Mat for your work! I read that some updates made PSIO less stable. What is the situation today? Is the "MENU2628_05071500XXXX" version the most stable? Can I install it with confidence? Will my SD card, which was working until now, continue to work? Thank you for your answers! S.

User avatar
Takehaniyasubiko
/// CYBDYN SYSTEMS ELITE ///
/// CYBDYN SYSTEMS ELITE ///
Posts: 3520
Joined: March 13th, 2018, 5:04 am
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1002
Has thanked: 43 times
Been thanked: 26 times

Re: PSIO Development Discussion Thread

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » June 1st, 2021, 8:09 pm

Starface wrote: June 1st, 2021, 7:47 pmI read that some updates made PSIO less stable. What is the situation today? Is the "MENU2628_05071500XXXX" version the most stable? Can I install it with confidence? Will my SD card, which was working until now, continue to work? Thank you for your answers! S.
The current public firmware is the most stable one so far, but quite a few games are still incompatible. You can check what some of the incompatible titles are in the Bug Reports & Game Compatibility section of this forum.
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, an afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four, five times more, perhaps not even that."
- Paul Bowles

Starface
Member
Member
Posts: 12
Joined: March 15th, 2019, 9:39 pm

Re: PSIO Development Discussion Thread

Post by Starface » June 2nd, 2021, 5:57 am

Thanks Takehaniyasubiko !

I mainly play games in pal version. It seems that no bugs are registered on these versions.

++ D

User avatar
Takehaniyasubiko
/// CYBDYN SYSTEMS ELITE ///
/// CYBDYN SYSTEMS ELITE ///
Posts: 3520
Joined: March 13th, 2018, 5:04 am
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1002
Has thanked: 43 times
Been thanked: 26 times

Re: PSIO Development Discussion Thread

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » June 2nd, 2021, 6:05 am

Starface wrote: June 2nd, 2021, 5:57 am Thanks Takehaniyasubiko !

I mainly play games in pal version. It seems that no bugs are registered on these versions.

++ D
It depends. For example, Crisis Beat is broken in both PAL and NTSC. Generally speaking, the region it not an indicator.
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, an afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four, five times more, perhaps not even that."
- Paul Bowles

User avatar
Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Posts: 4476
Joined: December 31st, 2012, 5:37 pm
I am a: Systems Designer
PlayStation Model: H2700/5502
Location: Australia
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 85 times
Contact:

Re: PSIO Development Discussion Thread

Post by Matt » June 2nd, 2021, 7:24 pm

Starface wrote: June 1st, 2021, 7:47 pm Hello to all! First of all, thank you Mat for your work! I read that some updates made PSIO less stable. What is the situation today? Is the "MENU2628_05071500XXXX" version the most stable? Can I install it with confidence? Will my SD card, which was working until now, continue to work? Thank you for your answers! S.
No idea where you read that from, but the latest updates made PSIO more stable than ever.
Also, don't share you Serial Number. I had to edit it out from your post.

Starface
Member
Member
Posts: 12
Joined: March 15th, 2019, 9:39 pm

Re: PSIO Development Discussion Thread

Post by Starface » June 9th, 2021, 12:14 am

Matt wrote: June 2nd, 2021, 7:24 pm
Starface wrote: June 1st, 2021, 7:47 pm Hello to all! First of all, thank you Mat for your work! I read that some updates made PSIO less stable. What is the situation today? Is the "MENU2628_05071500XXXX" version the most stable? Can I install it with confidence? Will my SD card, which was working until now, continue to work? Thank you for your answers! S.
No idea where you read that from, but the latest updates made PSIO more stable than ever.
Also, don't share you Serial Number. I had to edit it out from your post.
Thank you. I thought that some updates had made some games broken. Sorry if I made a mistake. I didn't pay attention to the serial. Thank you for correcting it. I have been very happy with my PSIO for many years. Very nice work! Really! S.

PhilTheStampede
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Posts: 48
Joined: November 27th, 2019, 3:28 pm

Re: PSIO Development Discussion Thread

Post by PhilTheStampede » June 25th, 2021, 5:30 am

Hey guys, now that I see you're still working on the update, I would like to jump in and add requests for you to add and then impatiently ask for when the next update will arrive. That way, with no beta testing, I can immediately complain that things do not work afterword.

That being said, please add a coffee machine to the next update. Thank you.

Alucard971
Just Joined
Just Joined
Posts: 4
Joined: February 23rd, 2021, 5:23 pm
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: PSIO Development Discussion Thread

Post by Alucard971 » July 19th, 2021, 6:59 am

Hey Matt, hope development is going well. Are there any updates on firmware progress? I know it's still going to be a awhile before release which is understandable giving the security issues you're facing. However, I hope I'm not speaking for myself when I say seeing a monthly update or at least every other month update on the progress bars would help alleviate some of the questions about the next release. I have only the slightest idea of what goes on behind the curtain and you may have your hands tied with a million things, so feel free to ignore this if it's too much to get a changelog that quickly.

Thanks for everything!

User avatar
Takehaniyasubiko
/// CYBDYN SYSTEMS ELITE ///
/// CYBDYN SYSTEMS ELITE ///
Posts: 3520
Joined: March 13th, 2018, 5:04 am
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1002
Has thanked: 43 times
Been thanked: 26 times

Re: PSIO Development Discussion Thread

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » August 5th, 2021, 9:35 pm

These are the currently confirmed game incompatibility bugs:
  • Crisis Beat (NTSC & PAL) - freezing during demo mode and/or gameplay;
  • Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee NTSC - freezing during the transitions from FMV to gameplay + FMV stuttering;
  • Mortal Kombat 3 - the CDDA music doesn't loop;
  • Abalaburn - freezes on a black screen after starting the story mode;
  • WipEout XL - freezes at random on the loading screens;
  • CDDA - the first ~500 milliseconds of CDDA tracks are cut off.
Will these be added officially to the thread where confirmed bugs are ticked either red or green, so that we can track the progress on such important issues? Having this stuff strewn around the forums doesn't allow for clarity and some legitmate reports get lost, whereas some false ones get checked multiple times.
Last edited by Takehaniyasubiko on August 10th, 2021, 3:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, an afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four, five times more, perhaps not even that."
- Paul Bowles

User avatar
foxhound
Member
Member
Posts: 16
Joined: May 10th, 2020, 9:51 pm
I am a: Power engineer
PlayStation Model: 7502
Location: Uzbekistan
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: PSIO Development Discussion Thread

Post by foxhound » August 7th, 2021, 7:04 pm

Pff, you guys that trying hard to write down all bugs are nerd legends. Matt seems to work for a really cool new features now but also seems like having a break from that circus that happened last year. All that nano-sound-frame-delays etc. That piece of hardware seems to be out of limits, also fixing one game causes crashes on two others, it is a fact. This thing just works and I respect Matt for original idea and development, and don't need anymore. For those 6 months I play with psio, it freezes after long pauses sometimes, crashed down for a few times, but I just glad it overall works because I understand it has limited hardware and only one (maybe two) men in active work. That's my opinion and my words, you can share yours but don't quote me. Sorry for my English. Have a good day.
:up :down :up :circle

User avatar
Takehaniyasubiko
/// CYBDYN SYSTEMS ELITE ///
/// CYBDYN SYSTEMS ELITE ///
Posts: 3520
Joined: March 13th, 2018, 5:04 am
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1002
Has thanked: 43 times
Been thanked: 26 times

Re: PSIO Development Discussion Thread

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » August 7th, 2021, 9:19 pm

The hardware is not a limitation for PSIO. PSIO is actually far more advanced hardware-wise than x-station.

It's just a matter of precision of the emulation since game consoles need exact timings. It's proven by the fact that many games were fixed already (so they were never limited by the hardware).

The timings are still a bit off, though. Plus, there's probably still an omission or two in regards to the more obscure features of the PS1 CD-ROM. Sadly, both major and niche games are affected by the remaining issues, so it's still a big problem for various gamers.
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, an afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four, five times more, perhaps not even that."
- Paul Bowles

User avatar
Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Posts: 4476
Joined: December 31st, 2012, 5:37 pm
I am a: Systems Designer
PlayStation Model: H2700/5502
Location: Australia
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 85 times
Contact:

Re: PSIO Development Discussion Thread

Post by Matt » August 8th, 2021, 3:16 am

foxhound wrote: August 7th, 2021, 7:04 pm For those 6 months I play with psio, it freezes after long pauses sometimes, crashed down for a few times...
Please share proof to backup your negative feedback about this "freezing" and "crashing".

User avatar
foxhound
Member
Member
Posts: 16
Joined: May 10th, 2020, 9:51 pm
I am a: Power engineer
PlayStation Model: 7502
Location: Uzbekistan
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: PSIO Development Discussion Thread

Post by foxhound » August 10th, 2021, 1:52 am

Matt wrote: August 8th, 2021, 3:16 am
foxhound wrote: August 7th, 2021, 7:04 pm For those 6 months I play with psio, it freezes after long pauses sometimes, crashed down for a few times...
Please share proof to backup your negative feedback about this "freezing" and "crashing".
Thanks for response. No proofs, I don't complain but also I hope I won't need to delete those words because I have no proofs. Just can share what I have encountered last 3 weeks when I was ill, all day home playing 7-9 hours/day. Ridge racer type 4 randomly stopped working on one of the black screens in menu twice, day by day during brief 30min playing. Yellow led stood ON but when I each time when I pressed Start, it turned on and off and again.
Bust a groove 1, suddenly after continuing from pause while I was afk (15-20min) music began to stutter and led light was blinking constantly, not "on/off" but like "more bright-less bright". After 3-4 battle resets it began to play normally without and touches and resets of hardware. Resident evil 2, froze once during transition from one to other room in black screen in long play like after 5 hours from turning console on, led stood ON. I don't film my 8hour gameplays, and never tried to reproduce any on purpose. Oh, I could film that bug with bust a groove actually.
Last edited by foxhound on August 10th, 2021, 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
:up :down :up :circle

User avatar
Takehaniyasubiko
/// CYBDYN SYSTEMS ELITE ///
/// CYBDYN SYSTEMS ELITE ///
Posts: 3520
Joined: March 13th, 2018, 5:04 am
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1002
Has thanked: 43 times
Been thanked: 26 times

Re: PSIO Development Discussion Thread

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » August 10th, 2021, 2:45 am

I can confirm various games fail to load at random right now. For example, I had Vagrant Story die on a black screen late in the game. However, I assume it's all because of the already confirmed issue with Wipeout XL, so most games should be fine once that confirmed bug is fixed.

PSIO needs further refinements of the game compatibility the most right now. Any extra features are the good will of Matt and Yuri, but 99.8% game compatibility was warranted for all PSIO buyers, so that's essential to the functionality of the device because that's something people bought it for.

I've made a list of confirmed bug reports, so we wouldn't waste time chasing false reports. The games from that list should be fixed ASAP because they showcase general issues, like random freezing in certain "edge cases" (Wipeout XL) or FMV issues (Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee NTSC).
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, an afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four, five times more, perhaps not even that."
- Paul Bowles

User avatar
Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Posts: 4476
Joined: December 31st, 2012, 5:37 pm
I am a: Systems Designer
PlayStation Model: H2700/5502
Location: Australia
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 85 times
Contact:

Re: PSIO Development Discussion Thread

Post by Matt » August 10th, 2021, 6:25 am

foxhound wrote: August 10th, 2021, 1:52 am
Matt wrote: August 8th, 2021, 3:16 am
foxhound wrote: August 7th, 2021, 7:04 pm For those 6 months I play with psio, it freezes after long pauses sometimes, crashed down for a few times...
Please share proof to backup your negative feedback about this "freezing" and "crashing".
Thanks for response. No proofs, I don't complain but also I hope I won't need to delete those words because I have no proofs. Just can share what I have encountered last 3 weeks when I was ill, all day home playing 7-9 hours/day. Ridge racer type 4 randomly stopped working on one of the black screens in menu twice, day by day during brief 30min playing. Yellow led stood ON but when I each time when I pressed Start, it turned on and off and again.
Bust a groove 1, suddenly after continuing from pause while I was afk (15-20min) music began to stutter and led light was blinking constantly, not "on/off" but like "more bright-less bright". After 3-4 battle resets it began to play normally without and touches and resets of hardware. Resident evil 2, froze once during transition from one to other room in black screen in long play like after 5 hours from turning console on, led stood ON. I don't film my 8hour gameplays, and never tried to reproduce any on purpose. Oh, I could film that bug with bust a groove actually.
Okay, there is no proof but you have experienced some issues. I understand now.

I assume you're using the latest firmware on genuine hardware? I can probably replicate the Bust a Groove bug myself by simply starting a stage and leaving it paused for 1 hour to see if it will freeze. However, it's difficult for me to test because I am using BETA firmware which has had some fixes done, so these bugs may actually be fixed. Nevertheless, I will still test them to ensure they are solved. I should note that Resident Evil 2 does also freeze from the original disc sometimes during long play sessions (it's a result of poor CD-ROM code by CAPCOM), but it's extremely rare.

We are working on a MASSIVE update for PSIO which should resolve all timing issues once and for all, but it's a lot of work. We also are fighting against Chinese clones as they are causing damage to our business (hence the lack of updates). We haven't released an update to quickly patch these problems because we are also increasing the security (which takes time). If I can finish the new security, then I can get some patches out quickly (like we were before) but we've decided to hold off on that until we can stop clones dead in their tracks from using our latest firmware. We don't like working 12 hours a day on fixing problems only to have our code used on a device which was stolen from us.

Do not worry though, we're working hard and trying to stay on top of it. PSIO isn't dead, it's just being heavily revised. We want to perfect it so it runs with 100% compatibility. That is the goal :)

User avatar
zePeido
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Posts: 67
Joined: December 19th, 2017, 12:03 am
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: PSIO Development Discussion Thread

Post by zePeido » August 10th, 2021, 7:44 am

You deserve to be payed for your work. I dont mind waiting more time for the updates if that means you can stop clones.

User avatar
Takehaniyasubiko
/// CYBDYN SYSTEMS ELITE ///
/// CYBDYN SYSTEMS ELITE ///
Posts: 3520
Joined: March 13th, 2018, 5:04 am
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1002
Has thanked: 43 times
Been thanked: 26 times

Re: PSIO Development Discussion Thread

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » August 10th, 2021, 7:59 am

It's true that Resident Evil 2-3 can sometimes freeze from the original discs, but it's never permanent (they will eventually unfreeze) and it happens very rarely.

What most people mean when they talk abut game compatibility problems are the PSIO-specific freezes which are permanent. For example, I have never seen Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee NTSC freeze from the original disc, whereas on PSIO it always freezes during the first FMV-to-gameplay transition. It's stuff like that most people consider a critical bug.

All the bonus stuff will make the PSIO experience better, but there is no experience at all if a game somebody wants to play is not playable.

While the Chinese cloners are unfair to CybDyn, no fixes for broken games is unfair to the people who supported CybDyn, so the situation isn't clear-cut. I just hope it will be resolved soon because the public firmware from December, and even the last beta version, aren't even close to 99.8% compatibility.
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, an afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four, five times more, perhaps not even that."
- Paul Bowles

User avatar
Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Posts: 4476
Joined: December 31st, 2012, 5:37 pm
I am a: Systems Designer
PlayStation Model: H2700/5502
Location: Australia
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 85 times
Contact:

Re: PSIO Development Discussion Thread

Post by Matt » August 10th, 2021, 8:37 am

Takehaniyasubiko wrote: August 10th, 2021, 7:59 am It's true that Resident Evil 2-3 can sometimes freeze from the original discs, but it's never permanent (they will eventually unfreeze) and it happens very rarely.

What most people mean when they talk abut game compatibility problems are the PSIO-specific freezes which are permanent. For example, I have never seen Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee NTSC freeze from the original disc, whereas on PSIO it always freezes during the first FMV-to-gameplay transition. It's stuff like that most people consider a critical bug.

All the bonus stuff will make the PSIO experience better, but there is no experience at all if a game somebody wants to play is not playable.

While the Chinese cloners are unfair to CybDyn, no fixes for broken games is unfair to the people who supported CybDyn, so the situation isn't clear-cut. I just hope it will be resolved soon because the public firmware from December, and even the last beta version, aren't even close to 99.8% compatibility.
We are well aware about Abe's Oddysee and we have already fixed it.

Well sorry, but people will have to wait. We made and designed PSIO and we are the ones that put in thousands of hours of work into it. If people have a problem with waiting for us to protect our work an intellectual property then they can contact the Chinese distributors and complain to them about it. Simply put, we must stop the clones and work together because it's damaging our business and causing the consumers to suffer. Otherwise, the future of PSIO is in jeopardy.

User avatar
Takehaniyasubiko
/// CYBDYN SYSTEMS ELITE ///
/// CYBDYN SYSTEMS ELITE ///
Posts: 3520
Joined: March 13th, 2018, 5:04 am
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1002
Has thanked: 43 times
Been thanked: 26 times

Re: PSIO Development Discussion Thread

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » August 10th, 2021, 9:02 am

If people have a problem with waiting for us to protect our work an intellectual property then they can contact the Chinese distributors and complain to them about it.
No, people don't have a problem with that. People have a problem with no clear calendar of releases and being stuck on the same firmware since December 2020. Every person who picked the original PSIO cartridge over the Chinese fakes is clearly aware of the situation and supports your company. There would be no business otherwise. I think people would be willing to wait if you at least updated the status with clear info about fixes and timelines. What PSIO still has going for it is that both MODE and x-station actually kinda suck in practice

MODE wasn't designed with PS1 in mind and its CD audio playback in PS1 game is pure crap. X-station has very high game compatibility, but offers no extra features and is a pain to install for most people.

PSIO has the potential to overcome its current shortcomings and be the best game loading solution for real PS1 hardware.
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, an afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four, five times more, perhaps not even that."
- Paul Bowles

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest