PSIO Development Discussion Thread

Official Development, Research and Progress directly from Cybdyn Systems
Forum rules
This section is for development news, research, bug fixes, progress, changes and information in regards to PSIO directly posted from Cybdyn Systems. Do not post any questions here relating to your order as they will be deleted. Instead, please go back and create a new post in the "Help and Support" forum. Thanks.
Drunk_Caterpillar
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Posts: 72
Joined: February 24th, 2020, 6:51 pm
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: PSIO Development Discussion Thread

Post by Drunk_Caterpillar » May 8th, 2022, 2:37 pm

Yeah, I ordered from SAG and it was totally painless. No issues with downloading firmware updates either. 🤷???

User avatar
Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Posts: 4698
Joined: December 31st, 2012, 5:37 pm
I am a: Systems Designer
PlayStation Model: H2700/5502
Location: Australia
Has thanked: 57 times
Been thanked: 189 times
Contact:

Re: PSIO Development Discussion Thread

Post by Matt » May 8th, 2022, 3:50 pm

Superevil wrote: May 8th, 2022, 7:17 am Will the cache help speed up boot time?
Yes :)
Drunk_Caterpillar wrote: May 8th, 2022, 2:37 pm Yeah, I ordered from SAG and it was totally painless. No issues with downloading firmware updates either. 🤷???
If you purchase from us or Stone Age Gamer (or any other genuine wholesaler) it will always use our system to download updates so it should always be painless. I remember a few people complained though that they hate having to keep entering their email and order ID, but that will change in the new update. Once registered, all you'll need to enter is your serial number :)

User avatar
Takehaniyasubiko
/// CYBDYN SYSTEMS ELITE ///
/// CYBDYN SYSTEMS ELITE ///
Posts: 3739
Joined: March 13th, 2018, 5:04 am
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1002
Has thanked: 116 times
Been thanked: 88 times

Re: PSIO Development Discussion Thread

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » May 8th, 2022, 6:46 pm

Stone Age Gamer was often out of stock, plus it's a US store. The shipping costs for people outside of the US are very high. That's one of the reasons why getting a clone from China seemed like a good idea to some people, although now the EU taxes packages from China, so it's not that attractive anymore (they are still much cheaper than packages from the US, tho).

After fixing the game compatibility, DRM, and availability, PSIO needs some basic advertising in the retro gaming community, so that people know what's up. Even word of mouth might help if the new firmware truly fixes games on PSIO. Remember that no matter how fancy a device like this might get, in the end, 99% of users are there only for the games.
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, an afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four, five times more, perhaps not even that."
- Paul Bowles

User avatar
aandrewlz88
Seriously Active at Cybdyn Systems
Seriously Active at Cybdyn Systems
Posts: 79
Joined: March 3rd, 2019, 10:57 am
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: PSIO Development Discussion Thread

Post by aandrewlz88 » May 8th, 2022, 10:01 pm

Takehaniyasubiko wrote: May 8th, 2022, 6:46 pm Stone Age Gamer was often out of stock, plus it's a US store. The shipping costs for people outside of the US are very high. That's one of the reasons why getting a clone from China seemed like a good idea to some people, although now the EU taxes packages from China, so it's not that attractive anymore (they are still much cheaper than packages from the US, tho).

After fixing the game compatibility, DRM, and availability, PSIO needs some basic advertising in the retro gaming community, so that people know what's up. Even word of mouth might help if the new firmware truly fixes games on PSIO. Remember that no matter how fancy a device like this might get, in the end, 99% of users are there only for the games.
Well even people who are still interested in buying from Cybden are likely to hold off now that the devs have said there's a true ODE in the works. (As if they could get a cart in the first place these days.) Yet another poor business decision that was entirely avoidable. Just don't announce your next project while you're still trying to deliver on the promise of your current device.

User avatar
Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Posts: 4698
Joined: December 31st, 2012, 5:37 pm
I am a: Systems Designer
PlayStation Model: H2700/5502
Location: Australia
Has thanked: 57 times
Been thanked: 189 times
Contact:

Re: PSIO Development Discussion Thread

Post by Matt » May 9th, 2022, 12:22 am

aandrewlz88 wrote: May 8th, 2022, 10:01 pm
Takehaniyasubiko wrote: May 8th, 2022, 6:46 pm Stone Age Gamer was often out of stock, plus it's a US store. The shipping costs for people outside of the US are very high. That's one of the reasons why getting a clone from China seemed like a good idea to some people, although now the EU taxes packages from China, so it's not that attractive anymore (they are still much cheaper than packages from the US, tho).

After fixing the game compatibility, DRM, and availability, PSIO needs some basic advertising in the retro gaming community, so that people know what's up. Even word of mouth might help if the new firmware truly fixes games on PSIO. Remember that no matter how fancy a device like this might get, in the end, 99% of users are there only for the games.
Well even people who are still interested in buying from Cybden are likely to hold off now that the devs have said there's a true ODE in the works. (As if they could get a cart in the first place these days.) Yet another poor business decision that was entirely avoidable. Just don't announce your next project while you're still trying to deliver on the promise of your current device.
We like to be open and not keep anything in the dark so people are aware of what's going on. Understand that the new CD Emulator isn't going to be the ultimate device to use. We're only making it so people who cannot solder can at least have something to install and use to play their games.

PSIO will be and always will be the foremost top product you can install on your PlayStation 1 because it can do almost everything.

User avatar
Syntax
/// CYBDYN SYSTEMS ELITE ///
/// CYBDYN SYSTEMS ELITE ///
Posts: 284
Joined: May 12th, 2019, 7:17 pm
I am a: ModMan
PlayStation Model: 5000x
Location: Sydney
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 15 times

Re: PSIO Development Discussion Thread

Post by Syntax » May 9th, 2022, 1:25 am

Matt wrote: May 9th, 2022, 12:22 am PSIO will be and always will be the foremost top product you can install on your PlayStation 1 because it can do almost everything.
"Could" do almost anything

It could have a virtual memory card system like expansion carts made 25 years ago.

It could be compatible with standard cue sheets like other ODE were from the start.

It could work with games like Vib-Ribbon.

It could do on the fly memory editing/cheat creation and application like cheat carts made 25 years ago.

And its been 10 years in development?

Basic features that still wont be implemented with this long awaited firmware update.

I honestly get more functionality from an Xstation with an old action replay in the expansion port than a PSIO right now, and even with the promised added features that may come one day to PSIO it will still fall behind.
The installs are both as easy as each other.

One of my biggest annoyances using the PSIO is actually disc swapping.
It loosens the PSIO from the port and wears the SD contacts, a silly idea from the start. The switchboard should be redesigned to trigger the PSIO disc swap on lid open/close. Or a button even would of been nice like the Action Replay has.

The only upside is I get to keep my CD drive with PSIO but I'm one of few with a good working drive anyway, no one really cares about keeping a broken part when they buy a second hand console is what I find with most of my installs.

Business wise a PS2 ODE with PS1 compatibility is the smartest move as no one else is focusing on that right now.
Rama has taken over the PS1 scene with his products, he seems much more dedicated or maybe just faster when coding than this 2 man PSIO team, pumping out daily fixes and posting screenshots full transparency.

Trying to keep this show up now is flogging a dead horse/or bunch of cats taped together.

If anyone else gets bored playing the waiting game you can find me up the back of the bus with this little gem.
Image
PSIO Switchboard Install and Console Mod Service (Australia/Worldwide)
viewtopic.php?f=72&t=3143

PSIO COMPLETE 1G1R cu2 and BMP collection with ReDump names
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yGAYhO ... sp=sharing

User avatar
bikerspade
Seriously Active at Cybdyn Systems
Seriously Active at Cybdyn Systems
Posts: 109
Joined: December 18th, 2018, 3:16 am
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1001
Location: USA
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 7 times
Contact:

Re: PSIO Development Discussion Thread

Post by bikerspade » May 9th, 2022, 2:46 am

Disc swapping functionality without having to mess with the PSIO device would be at the very top of my list too (after game list caching for near-instant boot), so that you could queue discs like xstation and just open/close the lid when prompted. That would make it simple and painless for using Pop n’music append discs among others.

User avatar
Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Posts: 4698
Joined: December 31st, 2012, 5:37 pm
I am a: Systems Designer
PlayStation Model: H2700/5502
Location: Australia
Has thanked: 57 times
Been thanked: 189 times
Contact:

Re: PSIO Development Discussion Thread

Post by Matt » May 9th, 2022, 3:03 am

Thanks for the feedback. We'll get to work on these features after we get this new update out.

lynxtosg
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Posts: 48
Joined: June 26th, 2020, 4:49 pm
Has thanked: 42 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: PSIO Development Discussion Thread

Post by lynxtosg » May 9th, 2022, 5:04 am

Syntax wrote: May 9th, 2022, 1:25 am Trying to keep this show up now is flogging a dead horse/or bunch of cats taped together.
Oh how times have changed.
Syntax wrote: Its just around the corner and you lot are starting up again....
Be patient, go play a game for fucks sake its not like this is the only way for you to play a PS1 game. Bunch of sooks.

User avatar
Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Posts: 4698
Joined: December 31st, 2012, 5:37 pm
I am a: Systems Designer
PlayStation Model: H2700/5502
Location: Australia
Has thanked: 57 times
Been thanked: 189 times
Contact:

Re: PSIO Development Discussion Thread

Post by Matt » May 9th, 2022, 5:42 am

lynxtosg wrote: May 9th, 2022, 5:04 am
Syntax wrote: May 9th, 2022, 1:25 am Trying to keep this show up now is flogging a dead horse/or bunch of cats taped together.
Oh how times have changed.
Syntax wrote: Its just around the corner and you lot are starting up again....
Be patient, go play a game for fucks sake its not like this is the only way for you to play a PS1 game. Bunch of sooks.
Image
Attachments
sponge_man_goes_crazy_at_computer.jpg
(39.9 KiB) Not downloaded yet

BahamutBBob
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Posts: 42
Joined: June 27th, 2021, 2:00 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 13 times

Re: PSIO Development Discussion Thread

Post by BahamutBBob » May 9th, 2022, 6:57 pm

Matt, you'll get there. Or, your internal screaming will all be external, in which case you won't need to worry about PSIO anymore!

User avatar
aandrewlz88
Seriously Active at Cybdyn Systems
Seriously Active at Cybdyn Systems
Posts: 79
Joined: March 3rd, 2019, 10:57 am
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: PSIO Development Discussion Thread

Post by aandrewlz88 » May 10th, 2022, 12:26 am

Everyone got a draft of their post ready for when June rolls around and there's no firmware yet?

User avatar
Takehaniyasubiko
/// CYBDYN SYSTEMS ELITE ///
/// CYBDYN SYSTEMS ELITE ///
Posts: 3739
Joined: March 13th, 2018, 5:04 am
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1002
Has thanked: 116 times
Been thanked: 88 times

Re: PSIO Development Discussion Thread

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » May 10th, 2022, 12:53 am

aandrewlz88 wrote: May 10th, 2022, 12:26 amEveryone got a draft of their post ready for when June rolls around and there's no firmware yet?
Image
Attachments
bob-the-builder.gif
(979.38 KiB) Not downloaded yet
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, an afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four, five times more, perhaps not even that."
- Paul Bowles

User avatar
PSXLORD
Just Joined
Just Joined
Posts: 6
Joined: December 27th, 2021, 2:44 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: PSIO Development Discussion Thread

Post by PSXLORD » May 10th, 2022, 3:14 am

Matt wrote: May 9th, 2022, 3:03 am Thanks for the feedback. We'll get to work on these features after we get this new update out.
Wow that sounds great, if you could get that right and the compatibility improves with the next update, the PSIO would be perfect. Pressing the SD card when changing discs is not so cool.

BahamutBBob
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Posts: 42
Joined: June 27th, 2021, 2:00 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 13 times

Re: PSIO Development Discussion Thread

Post by BahamutBBob » May 10th, 2022, 11:32 am

aandrewlz88 wrote: May 10th, 2022, 12:26 am Everyone got a draft of their post ready for when June rolls around and there's no firmware yet?
Just gonna copy/paste and change the month :_/:

Superevil
Member
Member
Posts: 17
Joined: September 21st, 2021, 4:54 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: PSIO Development Discussion Thread

Post by Superevil » May 11th, 2022, 5:06 am

I thought the update was supposed to be done in [insert month]. I’m sick of waiting for [insert feature].

Relikk
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Posts: 53
Joined: March 6th, 2013, 12:43 am
I am a: Sound Engineer
Location: Ireland
Has thanked: 5 times

Re: PSIO Development Discussion Thread

Post by Relikk » May 12th, 2022, 4:01 am

Meanwhile the PSX MiSTer core comes out of beta and gets a full release, all in the space of about 9 months. :clap

User avatar
Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Posts: 4698
Joined: December 31st, 2012, 5:37 pm
I am a: Systems Designer
PlayStation Model: H2700/5502
Location: Australia
Has thanked: 57 times
Been thanked: 189 times
Contact:

Re: PSIO Development Discussion Thread

Post by Matt » May 12th, 2022, 6:40 am

Relikk wrote: May 12th, 2022, 4:01 am Meanwhile the PSX MiSTer core comes out of beta and gets a full release, all in the space of about 9 months. :clap
Abe from the land of many oddworlds where he raptures farms is happy for you

Image
Attachments
abe_tp.png
(520.74 KiB) Not downloaded yet

emadeloc
Member
Member
Posts: 12
Joined: September 30th, 2019, 7:18 pm
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: PSIO Development Discussion Thread

Post by emadeloc » May 12th, 2022, 7:16 am

Matt, don't be discouraged.
Make any changes you need to make it more secure and keep improving it. I'm sure it will end up being almost perfect.
Don't listen to trolls, don't waste your time replying. They demand a lot without encouraging anything. I am sure that if they were in your situation, they would have left without further explanation.
Continue working. I and many wait for the next update. It sure does not disappoint.
Regards from Spain.

Superevil
Member
Member
Posts: 17
Joined: September 21st, 2021, 4:54 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: PSIO Development Discussion Thread

Post by Superevil » May 13th, 2022, 6:28 am

Would you be willing in the future to work with community members on menu features and game compatibility? I know you want to keep firmware private to prevent piracy, but would you consider it if there were a good/trustworthy way? I haunt the Satiator community too, and some excellent community contributions like the Rings menu has shown wonderful collaboration between Professor Abrasive and the Saturn community.
I’m a programmer and I know I’d love to dig into the PSIO and contribute. Although I recently had a baby, so I don’t have much in the way of free time right at this moment. :p

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests