PSIO Development Discussion Thread

Official Development, Research and Progress directly from Cybdyn Systems
Forum rules
This section is for development news, research, bug fixes, progress, changes and information in regards to PSIO directly posted from Cybdyn Systems. Do not post any questions here relating to your order as they will be deleted. Instead, please go back and create a new post in the "Help and Support" forum. Thanks.
Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
I am a: Systems Designer
PlayStation Model: H2700/5502

Re: PSIO Development Discussion Thread

Post by Matt » May 7th, 2022, 2:20 pm

SavitarSvit wrote: May 7th, 2022, 4:31 am
Matt wrote: May 6th, 2022, 6:38 pm
SavitarSvit wrote: May 6th, 2022, 3:22 pm Matt, several of my friends bought a clone of PSIO. I asked them why did you buy the clone? The original is the same price.Their answer was simple: "We don't want to wait several months for shipping."
Anyway, 2022 should hopefully be a big year for PSIO.
By the way, is PSIO sold to Russia now?
PSIO has always been sold to Russia, but we cannot ship there at the moment :(
:null:
mrmo2 wrote: May 7th, 2022, 7:48 am will i be able to download firmware with just serial number. or i need to do some license transfer?
Yes. Once registered once, you will then be able to download the software by only using the serial number. To transfer license holders, you can have the system send an email to that user or they can have a request sent to the original owner at which point they can decide whether to allow the transfer or not into your name :)
aandrewlz88 wrote: May 7th, 2022, 12:37 pm It's clear that the PSIO project is primarily led by emotion. If this business had a more dispassionate manager, there's no way IN HELL these decisions would have been made; or at least they would have customer relations that understand how to craft messages that don't inflame their own user base.
I'd rather speak the truth, be direct to everyone and have a passion for the product we have created than to be a dispassionate manager.
BahamutBBob wrote: May 7th, 2022, 1:30 pm
lynxtosg wrote: May 7th, 2022, 12:55 am the update is perpetually a month away.
This is my problem. I have had very few issues with the PSIO, and I want it to succeed, but I would like the full feature set Matt has been teasing for the past year to actually come to be. I want to get full use out of my Memcard Pro, especially.

So, to the people saying that some of us are whining, crying, whatever, I am not. I am reminding Matt about the promises he made us about release dates, and letting him know that we are still waiting. I'm still patiently waiting, but that can only go on for so long before I give up.
I understand. It's been a while but we're almost there. Just need to finish off this PHP code now :flag :praise

Takehaniyasubiko
/// CYBDYN SYSTEMS ELITE ///
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1002

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » May 7th, 2022, 9:03 pm

Matt wrote: May 7th, 2022, 2:20 pmI'd rather speak the truth, be direct to everyone and have a passion for the product we have created than to be a dispassionate manager.
The truth is complicated because there are various points of view to consider. A dispassionate manager helps to crystalize the truth. For example, the devs might lose a lot of sleep over a feature that's hard to code, but the users don't give a flying fvck about it. On the other hand, the devs might not care about something the users are begging for. It's not easy to reconcile between devs and users in some cases, which is why someone looking at both sides equally can see it better.

I think you really miss one point many people had made: all projects like this face clones and dev issues, but people will stick to a product if they see it going somewhere. Dumping a lot of excuses on users who can't use the product the way it was intended will hurt a business more than all possible clones put together. You need to see people who support this kind of projects as your allies. Many of those who buy clones would never buy from you in the first place because of idiosyncratic reasons, for example not wanting to go through the direct bank transfer your require.
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, an afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four, five times more, perhaps not even that."
- Paul Bowles

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » May 7th, 2022, 9:59 pm

Takehaniyasubiko wrote: May 7th, 2022, 9:03 pm
Matt wrote: May 7th, 2022, 2:20 pmI'd rather speak the truth, be direct to everyone and have a passion for the product we have created than to be a dispassionate manager.
The truth is complicated because there are various points of view to consider. A dispassionate manager helps to crystalize the truth. For example, the devs might lose a lot of sleep over a feature that's hard to code, but the users don't give a flying fvck about it. On the other hand, the devs might not care about something the users are begging for. It's not easy to reconcile between devs and users in some cases, which is why someone looking at both sides equally can see it better.

I think you really miss one point many people had made: all projects like this face clones and dev issues, but people will stick to a product if they see it going somewhere. Dumping a lot of excuses on users who can't use the product the way it was intended will hurt a business more than all possible clones put together. You need to see people who support this kind of projects as your allies. Many of those who buy clones would never buy from you in the first place because of idiosyncratic reasons, for example not wanting to go through the direct bank transfer your require.
Everything is tackled in steps. For example, we couldn't add the new DRM without the SD write abilities so we needed to add that first. So you're right in that sense as some users don't care about SD write abilities (for example) but it's a needed implementation by us so we had to do it and get it done.

There are other legitimate companies which wholesale our genuine product under permission from us you know. Stone Age Gamer is the primary one as a leading retailer ;)

The only reason I can see people honestly buying clones is like what another user said here which is they are simply in stock and available 24/7 at the expense of a lack of updateability. There's honestly no other reason to not buy the genuine product as we have options for Credit/Debit Card, Bank Transfer and Bitcoin. We don't just offer Bank Transfer like you said. We would love to offer PayPal but clearly that's not an option :roll:

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » May 7th, 2022, 10:11 pm

Matt wrote: May 7th, 2022, 9:59 pmWe would love to offer PayPal but clearly that's not an option :roll:
PayPal got on your case because of some refund requests. They don't really care about people buying flashcarts, but once they get on your case, they will use that as a excuse. Overall, it depends on the amount of cash going through your PP account and the way your buyers handle the transactions. Too bad that option was blocked from you, but that's just one example why somebody would rather buy something quickly on eBay via PP. It's not only hassle-free, but they also get great buyer's protection via PP.

I think that you will see happy customers if the new firmware works as planned. You should make sure some reviews get out there, especially from people like Retro RGB Bob. Once the cache file helps with boot times and games stop freezing, there will be a lot of people wanting a PSIO since it's easier to install than X-station and MODE (some argue this, but that's how most people see it). Also, I never had any overheating issues with PSIO, whereas MODE and X-station are reported to have some problems in that area. What's more, both MODE and X-station actually have design flaws regarding the CDDA playback. It's not a deal breaker for most people, but PSIO is simply better in this regard since its CDDA playback has no audio degradation.
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, an afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four, five times more, perhaps not even that."
- Paul Bowles

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » May 7th, 2022, 10:30 pm

Takehaniyasubiko wrote: May 7th, 2022, 10:11 pm
Matt wrote: May 7th, 2022, 9:59 pmWe would love to offer PayPal but clearly that's not an option :roll:
PayPal got on your case because of some refund requests. They don't really care about people buying flashcarts, but once they get on your case, they will use that as a excuse. Overall, it depends on the amount of cash going through your PP account and the way your buyers handle the transactions. Too bad that option was blocked from you, but that's just one example why somebody would rather buy something quickly on eBay via PP. It's not only hassle-free, but they also get great buyer's protection via PP.
Incorrect. We had zero refunds. We were a start-up company and when they saw a decent cashflow coming in all of a sudden they pulled the plug because for them to cover that damage (in case something went wrong) and refund everyone would be too risky for them. We had to wait 6 months if I recall until the funds were released to us to actually buy parts with, and not one of our customers asked for a refund which was truly amazing. We are incredibly thankful to the first batch of customers who supported us and had their money frozen by PayPal.

In the end, PayPal were wrong and I assembled each and every cartridge by hand manually and got every order shipped to our customers. PayPal lost all their fees from all those sales and future sales because we have never touched them since and won't ever be using their services ever again :)

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » May 7th, 2022, 11:17 pm

Matt wrote: May 7th, 2022, 10:30 pmWe were a start-up company and when they saw a decent cashflow coming in all of a sudden they pulled the plug because for them to cover that damage (in case something went wrong) and refund everyone would be too risky for them.
That's exactly what I said - it depends on the amount of cash going through your PP account and the way your buyers handle the transactions. I know from some people that there were refund requests in your PP days because the carts weren't coming on time (according to the buyers, I'm sure you kept your own set timeframe). Keep in mind these requests were made directly to PP, not to you. In other words, you got flagged on PP by some of your buyers.

BTW, you do realize that eBay doesn't seem to have any offers for the PSIO clones nowadays, right?
- Paul Bowles

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » May 7th, 2022, 11:42 pm

Takehaniyasubiko wrote: May 7th, 2022, 11:17 pm
Matt wrote: May 7th, 2022, 10:30 pmWe were a start-up company and when they saw a decent cashflow coming in all of a sudden they pulled the plug because for them to cover that damage (in case something went wrong) and refund everyone would be too risky for them.
That's exactly what I said - it depends on the amount of cash going through your PP account and the way your buyers handle the transactions. I know from some people that there were refund requests in your PP days because the carts weren't coming on time (according to the buyers, I'm sure you kept your own set timeframe). Keep in mind these requests were made directly to PP, not to you. In other words, you got flagged on PP by some of your buyers.

BTW, you do realize that eBay doesn't seem to have any offers for the PSIO clones nowadays, right?
The only refund we got asked for was a mainboard installation, and we issued the refund instantly to them. Once the funds were locked by PayPal though we couldn't issue refunds if anyone asked. Everything was stalled for 6 months because of PayPal and it didn't look good for anyone. I advise any new businesses to stay clear of PayPal and try and use a small private company to handle the payments for you in your own country using the MIGS system.

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » May 7th, 2022, 11:45 pm

Matt wrote: May 7th, 2022, 11:42 pmThe only refund we got asked for was a mainboard installation, and we issued the refund instantly to them. Once the funds were locked by PayPal though we couldn't issue refunds if anyone asked.
That's not how PP works. PP has a buyer's protection program where they can issue a refund themselves, and then forcibly take it out of a given account. You have to have strong proof for that, of course, but just putting a claim like that on PP makes them suspicious towards the account which gets flagged.
- Paul Bowles

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » May 8th, 2022, 12:31 am

Takehaniyasubiko wrote: May 7th, 2022, 11:45 pm
Matt wrote: May 7th, 2022, 11:42 pmThe only refund we got asked for was a mainboard installation, and we issued the refund instantly to them. Once the funds were locked by PayPal though we couldn't issue refunds if anyone asked.
That's not how PP works. PP has a buyer's protection program where they can issue a refund themselves, and then forcibly take it out of a given account. You have to have strong proof for that, of course, but just putting a claim like that on PP makes them suspicious towards the account which gets flagged.
Sorry, but you are mistaken. That's exactly what PayPal did to us. I know because I was the one who had to go through it all and deal with it. We could literally not do anything. The funds were completely locked in a neutral state for 6 months.

If you have sworn confirmations of refunds being given back, then they were given without us even knowing behind our backs by PayPal themselves.

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » May 8th, 2022, 12:40 am

Matt wrote: May 8th, 2022, 12:31 amSorry, but you are mistaken. That's exactly what PayPal did to us. I know because I was the one who had to go through it all and deal with it. We could literally not do anything. The funds were completely locked in a neutral state for 6 months.
PP might refund from their own funds when the buyer's protection program is at work. In other words, somebody might claim a fraudulent sale and get their money back from PP itself, and only then PP deals with the flagged account. There's a ton of people who use PP everyday for years with no issues, but it all depends on the buyers, whether they post claims about fraudulent sales or not. Because PSIOs took time to assemble and send, some people might have wanted their money back from PP, which is why they targeted you in the end. Overall, PP is not for businesses which can't guarantee swift shipments of products. PP actually expects sellers to enter the shipping information ASAP.
- Paul Bowles

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » May 8th, 2022, 12:46 am

Takehaniyasubiko wrote: May 8th, 2022, 12:40 am
Matt wrote: May 8th, 2022, 12:31 amSorry, but you are mistaken. That's exactly what PayPal did to us. I know because I was the one who had to go through it all and deal with it. We could literally not do anything. The funds were completely locked in a neutral state for 6 months.
PP might refund from their own funds when the buyer's protection program is at work. In other words, somebody might claim a fraudulent sale and get their money back from PP itself, and only then PP deals with the flagged account. There's a ton of people who use PP everyday for years with no issues, but it all depends on the buyers, whether they post claims about fraudulent sales or not. Because PSIOs took time to assemble and send, some people might have wanted their money back from PP, which is why they targeted you in the end. Overall, PP is not for businesses which can't guarantee swift shipments of products. PP actually expects sellers to enter the shipping information ASAP.
That's perfectly fine and all, but our account was literally shutdown after 1 day of taking payments so that makes no sense. All buyers were also made perfectly aware that their order was on backorder :shrug

Anyway, it's all in the past now. We recovered from their damage and all the buyers got their order :)

Back to working on the update :mrgreen:

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » May 8th, 2022, 12:59 am

Matt wrote: May 8th, 2022, 12:46 amThat's perfectly fine and all, but our account was literally shutdown after 1 day of taking payments so that makes no sense. All buyers were also made perfectly aware that their order was on backorder :shrug

Anyway, it's all in the past now. We recovered from their damage and all the buyers got their order :)
You know very well by now how some people are. I read on Twitter how people asked for refunds on PP because PSIO wasn't coming to them. It didn't help your case against PP, that's for sure.

It's in the past, but not exactly since some chunk of potential buyers strays away from credit cards and bank transfer. That's the very reason PP exists to begin with.
- Paul Bowles

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » May 8th, 2022, 1:06 am

Takehaniyasubiko wrote: May 8th, 2022, 12:59 am
Matt wrote: May 8th, 2022, 12:46 amThat's perfectly fine and all, but our account was literally shutdown after 1 day of taking payments so that makes no sense. All buyers were also made perfectly aware that their order was on backorder :shrug

You know very well by now how some people are. I read on Twitter how people asked for refunds on PP because PSIO wasn't coming to them. It didn't help you case against PP, that's for sure.

It's in the past, but not exactly since some chunk of potential buyers stray away from credit cards and bank transfer. That's the very reason PP exists to begin with.
PayPal didn't freeze our account for refunds because it was frozen within the day.

Now, I remember that I could in fact issue refunds for several days after being initially frozen. That's how I was able to issue a refund for a mainboard install when a customer requested it, but then PayPal locked the refund option so the account was in limbo for 6 months.

Yeah, it's a shame that happened. I would be nice to offer PayPal, but that ain't gonna' happen. Not after the damage they did. If people would like to use PayPal, you can buy from our genuine wholesalers since they offer PayPal :)

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » May 8th, 2022, 1:10 am

Matt wrote: May 8th, 2022, 1:06 amYeah, it's a shame that happened. I would be nice to offer PayPal, but that ain't gonna' happen. Not after the damage they did. If people would like to use PayPal, you can buy from our genuine wholesalers since they offer PayPal :)
Yeah, I understand all of that and it wasn't an issue for me. I'm just pointing one of the reasons why some people will just go to AliExpress and get a clone with a few clicks on their phones. You really need to make stuff as easy as possible to ensure a good customer base.

For now, the real problem is getting a firmware which works for 99.8% games and offers the quality of life improvements like caching game lists. I hope my joke about WWIII starting before PSIO gets fixed won't change into a sad reality.
- Paul Bowles

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » May 8th, 2022, 1:23 am

No problem. Thanks for the feedback! I'll see what I can do to improve ease of acquiring a cartridge because that is a pressing issue for sure. Very difficult to do now though due to the chip shortage.

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » May 8th, 2022, 1:47 am

Matt wrote: May 8th, 2022, 1:23 amVery difficult to do now though due to the chip shortage.
In a way, it's good (at least for the current users) since you can focus on fixing the firmware now.
- Paul Bowles

Giuliano
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1001

Post by Giuliano » May 8th, 2022, 4:25 am

Matt, does this new update make cache the sd card? so won't it shorten the life of the sd card?thanks and good work for you...

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » May 8th, 2022, 5:27 am

Giuliano wrote: May 8th, 2022, 4:25 am Matt, does this new update make cache the sd card? so won't it shorten the life of the sd card?thanks and good work for you...
The next update will add the cache. This upcoming update is about game fixes and improving the security. Also, SD cards almost virtually never wear out from read access so you'll be fine.

Superevil

Post by Superevil » May 8th, 2022, 7:17 am

Will the cache help speed up boot time?

BahamutBBob
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by BahamutBBob » May 8th, 2022, 1:31 pm

Takehaniyasubiko wrote: May 7th, 2022, 9:03 pm Many of those who buy clones would never buy from you in the first place because of idiosyncratic reasons, for example not wanting to go through the direct bank transfer your require.
I have a legitimate PSIO that I bought from a third party seller. There are plenty of stores that cybdyn has partnered with, or provided PSIO units to. In my case, I got it from Stone Age Gamer, and even had them install the switch board for me. (I'm fairly competent at soldering, but cutting and soldering to traces makes me nervous.)