PSIO Development Discussion Thread

Official Development, Research and Progress directly from Cybdyn Systems
Forum rules
This section is for development news, research, bug fixes, progress, changes and information in regards to PSIO directly posted from Cybdyn Systems. Do not post any questions here relating to your order as they will be deleted. Instead, please go back and create a new post in the "Help and Support" forum. Thanks.
Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
I am a: Systems Designer
PlayStation Model: H2700/5502

Re: PSIO Development Discussion Thread

Post by Matt » May 13th, 2022, 7:55 am

We appreciate the incentive and motivation to jump on board and help with improving features, but the hardware of PSIO and all source codes will always remain closed sourced and be proprietary intellectual property of Cybdyn Systems.

There is no way to unfortunately securely share anything without any part of it being leaked and used by others. We have had a few other people in the past want to work with us on fixing things and we have approached skilled individuals with a decent income for them (with royalties too), but when we slam a multiple page NDA and multiple page contract in their face they run away (which makes me think they were probably just after the source codes and had no incentive to help to begin with).

Anyway, if there's anything that is broken in particular or there is something that is severely annoying you and you want to improve on, just let me know and I'll add it to the list of things to do :)

I just had a look at the Satiator as well and it's a nice little device but two issues. No security and severely overpriced for such a little thing (probably from the chip shortage I assume). It'll be cloned in a split-second though. DRM (like it or not) is required for projects like these to protect the creator as well as customers.

Congratulations on your new son or daughter as well :dance

Takehaniyasubiko
/// CYBDYN SYSTEMS ELITE ///
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1002

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » May 13th, 2022, 8:52 am

Attachments
t.jpg
(112.84 KiB) Not downloaded yet
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, an afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four, five times more, perhaps not even that."
- Paul Bowles

lynxtosg
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by lynxtosg » May 13th, 2022, 2:19 pm

@Matt, I will sign any NDA for an opportunity to work on this project. I'll sign the NDA, you provide documentation and/or SDK, and if I can contribute I will. What do you have to lose?

Libanonc
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by Libanonc » May 13th, 2022, 6:49 pm

@Takehaniyasubiko
Nice Cybdyn movie reference from Terminator :D

jon.nielsen
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by jon.nielsen » May 13th, 2022, 7:10 pm

I would like to request that a version of The Terminator Main Theme be added as menu tune in a future update. That is all.

arotau
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by arotau » May 13th, 2022, 7:21 pm

:lol: i feel as if matt is just jerking us off. love the product as is, update will be worthwhile though.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » May 14th, 2022, 1:40 am

jon.nielsen wrote: May 13th, 2022, 7:10 pm I would like to request that a version of The Terminator Main Theme be added as menu tune in a future update. That is all.
:null:
arotau wrote: May 13th, 2022, 7:21 pm :lol: i feel as if matt is just jerking us off. love the product as is, update will be worthwhile though.
Just having some fun :P

poopman

Post by poopman » May 14th, 2022, 9:53 am

So when is the update coming?

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » May 14th, 2022, 10:08 am

poopman wrote: May 14th, 2022, 9:53 am So when is the update coming?
Still working on the PHP code for the server interface. I don't have an exact ETA but I'm working very hard on it. I was up for 26 hours straight yesterday.

bikerspade
Seriously Active at Cybdyn Systems
Seriously Active at Cybdyn Systems
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1001

Post by bikerspade » May 14th, 2022, 11:05 am

Get some sleep.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » May 14th, 2022, 12:15 pm

bikerspade wrote: May 14th, 2022, 11:05 am Get some sleep.
Attachments
titanic_man_uses_macbook_high_on_kerosene.png
(552.32 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » May 15th, 2022, 2:28 am

Why, that’s the second longest PHP coding for server interface I’ve ever seen!
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, an afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four, five times more, perhaps not even that."
- Paul Bowles

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » May 15th, 2022, 2:48 am

Takehaniyasubiko wrote: May 15th, 2022, 2:28 am Why, that’s the second longest PHP coding for server interface I’ve ever seen!
It's a full MySQL backend being written from scratch plus an interface manager for managing the licenses easier for us as well as for the customer. It means now if you sell your PSIO Cartridge to someone, you can send an email to the person buying it and if they accept it then it will be transferred to them (or vice versa as some people have bought cartridges without knowing the email or order ID so they can send a request to the original owner to release ownership). Much more refined and in control DRM for users (which was a major issue for a lot of people and we got a lot of complaints about it). I'll also be adding a new license purchase option so if all else fails, you can just buy a new license without having to contact us and wait for it to be activated.

On top of that, PSIO has had a huge security increase so it's a lot of work. I had it all basically ready and functioning but then I found bugs and loop holes and that turned from days into weeks into months and the reason is I'd rather not rush things and break everything or release an update and brick cartridges. That would be the ultimate nightmare :roll:

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » May 15th, 2022, 3:23 am

Just make sure Crisis Beat works at some point and that we get the core fixes sometime this year, Matt. :P

BTW, I was just jokingly paraphrasing Guybrush from Monkey Island. I'm sure the PHP code is a nightmare for just one person. The other devices like this simply ignore all of that and use public platforms like Github. BTW, keep in mind that users will be far more tolerant to long dev time once the core of PSIO is finally fixed. All the extra features are just welcomed additions - you don't owe us that. However, having games die on us is infuriating.
- Paul Bowles

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » May 15th, 2022, 4:44 am

Takehaniyasubiko wrote: May 15th, 2022, 3:23 am Just make sure Crisis Beat works at some point and having games die on us is infuriating.
I will check Crisis Beat for sure because I'm very interested as per why that is failing. It's a very interesting problem. The new update should fix those timing issues causing random freezing.

PSXLORD
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by PSXLORD » May 15th, 2022, 11:01 am

We can't wait to finally get this update for the PSIO, it just feels best to play PS1 games on the ps1 with working CD Rom drive! But please remember to sleep, this is no fun ;)

flynnz

Post by flynnz » May 16th, 2022, 11:33 am

Takehaniyasubiko wrote: May 15th, 2022, 3:23 am Just make sure Crisis Beat works at some point and that we get the core fixes sometime this year, Matt. :P
I am also interested in knowing if there will be a fix in the next update for the random crashes of unknown amounts of games. Without that being fixed, I still will have no interest in using the PSIO in any real capacity.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » May 16th, 2022, 11:41 am

flynnz wrote: May 16th, 2022, 11:33 am
Takehaniyasubiko wrote: May 15th, 2022, 3:23 am Just make sure Crisis Beat works at some point and that we get the core fixes sometime this year, Matt. :P
I am also interested in knowing if there will be a fix in the next update for the random crashes of unknown amounts of games. Without that being fixed, I still will have no interest in using the PSIO in any real capacity.
What games are randomly freezing for you exactly at the moment?

flynnz

Post by flynnz » May 16th, 2022, 11:42 am

Matt wrote: May 15th, 2022, 4:44 am The new update should fix those timing issues causing random freezing.
Fingers crossed for this.

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » May 16th, 2022, 11:48 am

Matt wrote: May 16th, 2022, 11:41 amWhat games are randomly freezing for you exactly at the moment?
Wipeout XL, Final Fantasy VIII, Chrono Cross, Vagrant Story, Front Mission 3, Vampire Hunter D, and... that's where I simply stopped playing and decided to wait for a fix. Trust me, Matt, if you're actually playing long, story-driven games, you'll run into random freezes with the current firmware. It's a mess.
- Paul Bowles