PSIO Development Discussion Thread

Official Development, Research and Progress directly from Cybdyn Systems
Forum rules
This section is for development news, research, bug fixes, progress, changes and information in regards to PSIO directly posted from Cybdyn Systems. Do not post any questions here relating to your order as they will be deleted. Instead, please go back and create a new post in the "Help and Support" forum. Thanks.
SavitarSvit
Seriously Active at Cybdyn Systems

Re: PSIO Development Discussion Thread

Post by SavitarSvit » May 6th, 2022, 3:22 pm

Matt, several of my friends bought a clone of PSIO. I asked them why did you buy the clone? The original is the same price.Their answer was simple: "We don't want to wait several months for shipping."

mrmo2
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by mrmo2 » May 6th, 2022, 3:34 pm

matt i find it strange that my psio had problem loading in cover art from usa region or it was misscoloured in pal region aswell or not just usa mostly usa on games list. and had to reboot the system when the game on list was pressed in menusytem it just freeze but only if usa was in games list. had to reboot many times even boot a cd failed due to libcrypt crash bash. problem is gone now happend earlier this year or last year something dont remember same firmware menu system 28 i belive this was not sd card that was the issiue. and it was a new one sd card from power store at nærbø city. also i find it funny that a 30 year old console gets you shut down if you use ebay. also i dont anylonger have my 2 order id i remember my mail hope i will be able to update. also suggest that it should be possible to update if device firmware is more than a year old not updated

slickrasta
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by slickrasta » May 6th, 2022, 4:39 pm

At this point I'm not sure how Matt hasn't lost his mind from all the ungrateful whiny people demanding the update come out now constantly. PSIO is a perfectly usable device as is and he's clearly working hard to update it for free.

Imagine putting in thousands of hours of your time into developing, programming, testing and selling a product like this then hearing almost nothing but complaining when you put hundreds of more hours of work into a large free update to make it even better... It is baffling to see how many of the comments are just useless complaining about an update taking longer than they'd like. I for one am grateful PSIO exists at all and that Matt is willing to continue updating it. Thanks Matt, don't listen to the haters.

Xplo1t_DRM

Post by Xplo1t_DRM » May 6th, 2022, 5:36 pm

Takehaniyasubiko wrote: May 5th, 2022, 9:40 pm The only way to really get rid of the Chinese cloners is to make them clone X-station instead of PSIO.
Wouldn't make a blind difference, the XS hardware could easily be cloned since day 1 and loader is due to be open sourced in the future. Even, if it was cloned, all project development costs have been recuperated and profit gained through sales already and the attention is now on a new Plug n Play ODE project.

AMG13
/// CYBDYN SYSTEMS ELITE ///
PlayStation Model: SCPH-7002

Post by AMG13 » May 6th, 2022, 6:01 pm

The only way to get rid of Chinese cloners - do not lead users by the nose.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
I am a: Systems Designer
PlayStation Model: H2700/5502

Post by Matt » May 6th, 2022, 6:38 pm

SavitarSvit wrote: May 6th, 2022, 3:22 pm Matt, several of my friends bought a clone of PSIO. I asked them why did you buy the clone? The original is the same price.Their answer was simple: "We don't want to wait several months for shipping."
Well from day one, each PSIO cartridge has been carefully hand assembled with care by us. I'll look into ditching that moral and go for full laboured production though which will ensure cartridges are pre-assembled from a factory and ready for us to ship directly to the consumer. Two drawbacks though. The first is more expenses. It costs more for us to get a third party production assembler. The second issue is quality control. Once you remove myself from the inspection and testing line for example, quality may plummet because no body else will put that dedication or care into the cartridges. Our current returned failure rate at the moment is only 0.8% so I hope it will stay that way otherwise it puts more stress and work load on me as I have to deal with more customers yelling at me and explaining to me how PSIO's quality isn't like what it used to be.

Anyway, 2022 should hopefully be a big year for PSIO. We have a lot of tricks up our sleeves and I personally have a few good ideas to try, but the chip shortage is making it hard to get the ball rolling again. I am working hard on this new update though to get the new DRM sorted so it can be done and dusted and we can forget about it. The new DRM will make downloading so much easier for everyone, and you'll be able to transfer licenses as well (which has been the highest requested feature).

Takehaniyasubiko
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1002

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » May 6th, 2022, 6:53 pm

slickrasta wrote: May 6th, 2022, 4:39 pmPSIO is a perfectly usable device as is and he's clearly working hard to update it for free.
This isn't even remotely true. PSIO does NOT work as was advertised right now and "updates for free" is the dumbest phrase I've seen here in a long time. These are bugs fixes, to even make the device work as was advertised. X-station received multiple big updates in just one year because they were bug fixes and Rama had the responsibility to fix it. That's how a business like this works.
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, an afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four, five times more, perhaps not even that."
- Paul Bowles

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » May 6th, 2022, 8:54 pm

Takehaniyasubiko wrote: May 6th, 2022, 6:53 pm
slickrasta wrote: May 6th, 2022, 4:39 pmPSIO is a perfectly usable device as is and he's clearly working hard to update it for free.
This isn't even remotely true. PSIO does NOT work as was advertised right now and "updates for free" is the dumbest phrase I've seen here in a long time. These are bugs fixes, to even make the device work as was advertised. X-station received multiple big updates in just one year because they were bug fixes and Rama had the responsibility to fix it. That's how a business like this works.
X-Station is a completely different device and it requires different fixes in comparison to PSIO.

The thing is, PSIO does work as advertised but what you want is 100% perfect accuracy. That however takes time. Thanks to individuals like you though we can strive to achieve that since you are managing to test and find the problems that we originally failed to detect. There's only a small handful of titles which have issues and we are working on fixing them. We haven't stopped nor have we given up. It just takes time to achieve everything :)

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » May 6th, 2022, 8:59 pm

Matt wrote: May 6th, 2022, 8:54 pmThe thing is, PSIO does work as advertised but what you want is 100% perfect accuracy.
Not true with the current public firmware. You advertised 99.8% commercial games to work just like from the CD-ROM. There's a lot of games, with high-profile ones, which do not work at all, or freeze randomly with the current public firmware. The CD-ROM emulation in PSIO is inaccurate for its users right now, hence all the problems reported by various people over the period of last year.

X-station being different doesn't change anything here. Rama promised full compatibility with commercial games and that wasn't true until he single-handedly fixed the CD-ROM emulation bugs. He simply had to deliver what was promised to the customers. That's why he moved onto another project only after actually squashing the bugs in X-station. He didn't just drop the device with all the game compatibility bugs.

I appreciate your work on the bugs and I understand the struggle very well, but I think there's a bit of a misunderstanding between actual gamers and your team. It's not that people are being picky here. In practical terms, the CD-ROM emulation must be accurate enough or else the device is not delivering on its promise of being a flash cart. We can't have games freeze on us at random or eliminate great games like Crisis Beat just because they are being ignored by the devs.
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, an afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four, five times more, perhaps not even that."
- Paul Bowles

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » May 6th, 2022, 9:49 pm

Okay so it's more like 99.6% maybe at the moment until we get the new firmware out. I don't update that number every time there's a bug report. Either way, it's still extremely high. We are pushing for 100%, though some things cannot be fixed on PSIO like that DEMO bug where if you return from Tomb Raider it won't re-load it again :)

We didn't drop the device though so I'm not sure where you got that speculation from as it's been been discussed before that support is still being continued for PSIO by us.

We didn't eliminate Crisis Beat from being fixed. You've been told multiple times that it will be looked out but the new update has the priority at the moment.

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » May 6th, 2022, 10:04 pm

If you only count games which downright freeze before any gameplay starts, the compatibility might seem high, but random freezing in the current public firmware affects a lot of games. That's why you are getting so many complaints. Explain to a guy who has his Vagrant Story or Final Fantasy VIII playthrough marred with random freezes that the game kind of works. He won't listen because the game works when it works - not when it sort of works.
Matt wrote: May 6th, 2022, 9:49 pmWe didn't eliminate Crisis Beat from being fixed.
I said gamers interested in the PS1 library can't just eliminate awesome games like Crisis Beat. You as a dev ignored it for approximately 15 months now. I do see the other priorities, but game fixes should always have top priority.
- Paul Bowles

lynxtosg
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by lynxtosg » May 7th, 2022, 12:55 am

Matt wrote: May 6th, 2022, 9:49 pm We didn't drop the device though so I'm not sure where you got that speculation from as it's been been discussed before that support is still being continued for PSIO by us.
At first community thought it was finally getting more bug fixes for games that froze or stuttered randomly. Then we learned this update was more about DRM. Now the update is perpetually a month away. Honestly the time for PSIO to strike against the competition has passed. Take and others may see a bright future but I have a hard time seeing a release date. I'm reminded of Duke Nukem Forever. You won't need to worry about the cloners much longer.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » May 7th, 2022, 2:40 am

lynxtosg wrote: May 7th, 2022, 12:55 am
Matt wrote: May 6th, 2022, 9:49 pm We didn't drop the device though so I'm not sure where you got that speculation from as it's been been discussed before that support is still being continued for PSIO by us.
At first community thought it was finally getting more bug fixes for games that froze or stuttered randomly. Then we learned this update was more about DRM. Now the update is perpetually a month away. Honestly the time for PSIO to strike against the competition has passed. Take and others may see a bright future but I have a hard time seeing a release date. I'm reminded of Duke Nukem Forever. You won't need to worry about the cloners much longer.
The update fixes the problems as well as improves the DRM. The change log that was posted (as requested) showed this.

Gameszzz

Post by Gameszzz » May 7th, 2022, 3:20 am

SavitarSvit wrote: May 6th, 2022, 3:22 pm Matt, several of my friends bought a clone of PSIO. I asked them why did you buy the clone? The original is the same price.Their answer was simple: "We don't want to wait several months for shipping."
"...same price..." ?
Now you can buy PSIO ?
I can confess that I, while waiting for the original PSIO and in order to practice soldering the switch board, bought a fake PSIO. I'm not going to sell it or donate it to anyone. It will die quickly, but in one of my consoles during experiments. I will not even try to install new software on a fake PSIO. But I will be able to compare in real time how much the software update has benefited or harmed

SavitarSvit

Post by SavitarSvit » May 7th, 2022, 4:31 am

Matt wrote: May 6th, 2022, 6:38 pm
Anyway, 2022 should hopefully be a big year for PSIO.
By the way, is PSIO sold to Russia now?

mrmo2
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by mrmo2 » May 7th, 2022, 7:48 am

will i be able to download firmware with just serial number. or i need to do some license transfer? [email protected] sorry im drunk dont understand you say new drm also allows but you say license transfer :shrug

bikerspade
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1001

Post by bikerspade » May 7th, 2022, 8:04 am

Is anything sold to Russia now?

flynnz

Post by flynnz » May 7th, 2022, 9:19 am

Matt wrote: May 6th, 2022, 11:55 am It's really old firmware from 2018. It's got a lot of bugs and it can't be updated. It's not worth it at all.
Hey Matt, if the clones are in fact still using old firmware from 2018 then they clearly think it's "good enough" and probably wouldn't bother dumping/reflashing all their existing stock because of a new update, regardless of features. But even if they do......

All the popular flash carts have to deal with piracy (dare I say far more than you do), but from what I can tell, most people still want to support the original creators when possible. At this point, I would wager other options that function better and the lack of availability of the official PSIO is by far the biggest factor pushing people away from buying your device, not clones.

At the end of the day, it is your business and I am only offering input because I truly believe you are SOOO close to having a great product here. But I would highly recommend just getting this update out and doing whatever you can to make buying the official product more feasible, regardless if it "causes you more work". If you have to deal with more returns because of less exhaustive QA, then so be it. If you are truly worried about clones, this is where your focus needs to be. Even if the new DRM is 100% bulletproof (which I doubt), it still shouldn't come before having a working product that is already in the hands of thousands of people. Random freezes on an unknown amount of games is nowhere near good enough for a product that costs as much as the PSIO does and that has as much competition that the PSIO has.

As someone who has had people repeatedly steal my intellectual properties, I understand how frustrating it is, but it honestly comes with the turf. If you had a business manager I would be willing to bet this is the advice they would give you as well.

As far as chip shortages go, I am sympathetic and hopefully, this changes sooner than predicted.

TL;DR
Make a working product that doesn't randomly freeze and make the product available to purchase should 10000% be your focus. Not doing so will cost you way more than clones ever will.

(sorry if this came off preachy, it's just the management in me hah)

aandrewlz88

Post by aandrewlz88 » May 7th, 2022, 12:37 pm

It's clear that the PSIO project is primarily led by emotion. If this business had a more dispassionate manager, there's no way IN HELL these decisions would have been made; or at least they would have customer relations that understand how to craft messages that don't inflame their own user base.

BahamutBBob
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by BahamutBBob » May 7th, 2022, 1:30 pm

lynxtosg wrote: May 7th, 2022, 12:55 am the update is perpetually a month away.
This is my problem. I have had very few issues with the PSIO, and I want it to succeed, but I would like the full feature set Matt has been teasing for the past year to actually come to be. I want to get full use out of my Memcard Pro, especially.

So, to the people saying that some of us are whining, crying, whatever, I am not. I am reminding Matt about the promises he made us about release dates, and letting him know that we are still waiting. I'm still patiently waiting, but that can only go on for so long before I give up.