PSIO Development Discussion Thread

Official Development, Research and Progress directly from Cybdyn Systems
Forum rules
This section is for development news, research, bug fixes, progress, changes and information in regards to PSIO directly posted from Cybdyn Systems. Do not post any questions here relating to your order as they will be deleted. Instead, please go back and create a new post in the "Help and Support" forum. Thanks.
Takehaniyasubiko
/// CYBDYN SYSTEMS ELITE ///
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1002

Re: PSIO Development Discussion Thread

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » August 12th, 2021, 10:00 am

Matt wrote: August 12th, 2021, 9:53 amWhich is then basically the same as how PSIO was. Our firmware was rough at the start, but then it gradually got better as we worked on it. Now let's enter a critical scenario. Imagine someone copied X-Station, started manufacturing them (albeit in much worse quality) and was selling it without Rama's permission, and on top of that they were using his code. What do you think Rama would do.
Nothing because he already gave the code for free to anybody who wants to use it. He did the same thing as Keir Fraserm, the author of FlashFloppy. Anybody can use his code with any compatible clone of the GOTEK drive emulator.
Matt wrote: August 12th, 2021, 9:53 amWould he focus, work harder, listen to the abuse and scrutiny and add security to lock it down to protect his customers or just just stop working on it because it's now futile?
What security lock when they opened their device from the start and gave the source code on Github for free?

People support xStation and Rama because they want to, not because they are forced to. Trust and goodwill are the keys.
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, an afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four, five times more, perhaps not even that."
- Paul Bowles

daneeall
Seriously Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by daneeall » August 12th, 2021, 3:20 pm

Matt wrote: August 12th, 2021, 9:53 am Now let's enter a critical scenario. Imagine someone copied X-Station, started manufacturing them (albeit in much worse quality) and was selling it without Rama's permission, and on top of that they were using his code. What do you think Rama would do.
What about SD2SNES which is also pretty complex and expensive, yet also opensorce? Tons of chinese clones works on Ikari's firmwares. Did it make Krikzz or Ikari to stop producing the original devices or stop supporting? Or start some war maybe? No.
Tons of Everdrive clones are also sold on aliexpress, but people still prefer to buy a genuine product cuz Krikzz is the NAME of quality.
And what about OSSC and GDEMU?
I suppose that you're fighting with chinese windmill with no chances to win.
You'll have to send us your SD Cards so we can test them and figure out what's going on.
That's not gonna happen, I've no intention to pay postal fee for your flaws in the code, which is really high.
Didn't you said somewhere here before that you ordered a Kingston Canvas Select Plus micro SDHC 128GB UHS 10-Class 100Mb/s card? Which is exactly like mine. Did you manage to get it?
If no just use any other Kingston card with this setup:
SCPH-7001(PU20)+SCPH-110

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
I am a: Systems Designer
PlayStation Model: H2700/5502

Post by Matt » August 12th, 2021, 4:18 pm

daneeall wrote: August 12th, 2021, 3:20 pm
Matt wrote: August 12th, 2021, 9:53 am Now let's enter a critical scenario. Imagine someone copied X-Station, started manufacturing them (albeit in much worse quality) and was selling it without Rama's permission, and on top of that they were using his code. What do you think Rama would do.
What about SD2SNES which is also pretty complex and expensive, yet also opensorce? Tons of chinese clones works on Ikari's firmwares. Did it make Krikzz or Ikari to stop producing the original devices or stop supporting? Or start some war maybe? No.
Tons of Everdrive clones are also sold on aliexpress, but people still prefer to buy a genuine product cuz Krikzz is the NAME of quality.
And what about OSSC and GDEMU?
I suppose that you're fighting with chinese windmill with no chances to win.
You'll have to send us your SD Cards so we can test them and figure out what's going on.
That's not gonna happen, I've no intention to pay postal fee for your flaws in the code, which is really high.
Didn't you said somewhere here before that you ordered a Kingston Canvas Select Plus micro SDHC 128GB UHS 10-Class 100Mb/s card? Which is exactly like mine. Did you manage to get it?
If no just use any other Kingston card with this setup:
SCPH-7001(PU20)+SCPH-110
KrikZZ actually got very angry that they did that. So, to try and beat the clones he made new versions to make the old models obsolete. We could have easily done the same, but as you said you have to have a "name of quality" and take the consumers best interest into consideration.

Deunan of the GDEMU device got angry too, but he wasn't interested in mass producing them anyway. He did it as a hobby because he wanted to make a device for the Dreamcast which was his passion.

Actually, we're on top of it and I have managed to find a way to beat the clones. I won't be discussing this any further however. This is why the firmware updates have been mainly delayed.

Sorry, I should have worded my statement more clearly. I should have said that if you send us the faulty card(s), if we can confirm that there is a bug in PSIO that is causing your SD Cards to not work correctly, then we will pay for the shipping to and from. However, if the SD Cards are working fine or it turns out that they are fakes cards, damaged or faulty due to whatever unknown or known reasons, then you'll have to pay for shipping the cards to us. We will pay for the return shipping of the SD Cards in any case however. I have tested my Kingston Canvas Select, and it works fine. Let me know if you'd like to continue in sending me your card(s) in a PM and we'll go from there.

Kito1984
I am a: Interpreter
Motto: Do no harm
PlayStation Model: SCPH-5500
Steam: kito_2003

Post by Kito1984 » August 12th, 2021, 4:56 pm

Matt wrote: August 12th, 2021, 8:33 am I don't know what you're trying to accomplish from that post, but those figures are wrong. The Chinese clones sold is actually in the field of 4,500+ units, and I don't know why you're bringing Rama into this.
I'm trying to help PSIO one last time even if it means that I'll be banned here and have to sacrifice myself for greater good. Something is totally wrong with this whole situation, there is a critical bug, and if it won't be acknowledged and found soon, another portion of good PSIO people will leave PSIO and these forums for good. It happened at least two times already only in my memory. I don't know where you got these figures about number of clones sold, but that doesn't matter. Why should owners of genuine products suffer because of fakes? That's just totally wrong. If there are no updates at all, when what's the difference between genuine and fake? There's no difference at all, isn't it? Fake owners don't get updates, genuine owners don't get updates. That's what I call equality and justice :D

What matters too is total lack of communication. You have said yourself in May:
Matt wrote: May 30th, 2021, 11:37 am
bikerspade wrote: May 30th, 2021, 7:34 am Will we see a firmware update this June?
Maybe. We're working hard on it still. It's coming along nicely :)
And now it's the middle of August, and there's no ETA at all. How did that happen?

As for Rama, it's just that I think it's useless to pretend that there are no other products on the market. My friends ask me, what should they buy now, and how can I in all honesty recommend PSIO if I know for a fact that the competition product does everything that is still in the works with PSIO? And there were next to none updates this year at all. And some problems like framepacing and clipping were with us for a year and two, correspondingly, and their solution is always somehow escapes us. Etc., etc., Takehaniyasubiko can easily describe the whole situation even if I will forget something myself.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » August 12th, 2021, 4:59 pm

Alright, we're done here. Topic locked. It will be opened again once an update is released.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » September 30th, 2021, 3:50 am

Just a small demo of the new debugger. The simpler console based debugger is working and is planned to be released in the upcoming update. It's mainly used for quick basic tests. The much larger and more powerfully advanced GUI based debugger in the new Systems Console update is planned to be released in the upcoming update (image of it below in my next post).

I didn't have my PlayStation 1 connected to my capture card so you can't see the output, but it does boot the PS-EXE (in this case, an old Paradox cracktro). The next thing we need to add is printf TTY output support which will make it the ultimate debugging tool and will greatly help users make games on the PlayStation 1. I'll be sure to record it next time with my capture card going so you can all see the output in real-time.

More updates along the way :)

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » September 30th, 2021, 4:50 am

Does this mean you're finally able to fix the remaining game issues, especially Wipeout XL and Crisis Beat?
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, an afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four, five times more, perhaps not even that."
- Paul Bowles

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » September 30th, 2021, 5:58 am

Takehaniyasubiko wrote: September 30th, 2021, 4:50 am Does this mean you're finally able to fix the remaining game issues, especially Wipeout XL and Crisis Beat?
Yep, we're almost ready to start tackling them :mrgreen:

We won't be using the console based debugger though (as seen in the video above).
We'll use the more powerful GUI based one which will be in the Systems Console. IE:

Attachments
{F9E46604-02E0-4B6B-913A-92AAEC531A45}.png
(55.93 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » September 30th, 2021, 7:03 am

The debugger looks awesome.

I can't wait to finally get those games fixed.
- Paul Bowles

zePeido
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by zePeido » October 1st, 2021, 2:15 am

Nice :)

Am I mistaken, or in the video are you using NetBeans to debug code running in the console?
Being able to debug in the IDE will surely help homebrew developers.
Maybe in the future it will be possible to send code to the console directly from the IDE :D

Will the console and GUI debuggers be available for everybody to use?

Thanks.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » October 1st, 2021, 2:54 am

zePeido wrote: October 1st, 2021, 2:15 am Nice :)

Am I mistaken, or in the video are you using NetBeans to debug code running in the console?
Being able to debug in the IDE will surely help homebrew developers.
Maybe in the future it will be possible to send code to the console directly from the IDE :D

Will the console and GUI debuggers be available for everybody to use?

Thanks.
NetBeans? :shock:
No, I'm using Visual Studio C++ :P

Yes, they will be publicly available for everyone for free :)

zePeido
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by zePeido » October 1st, 2021, 9:20 am

Matt wrote: October 1st, 2021, 2:54 am NetBeans? :shock:
No, I'm using Visual Studio C++ :P

Yes, they will be publicly available for everyone for free :)
Looked like NetBeans with a dark theme :?

Xeauron
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by Xeauron » October 2nd, 2021, 7:59 am

Matt wrote: September 30th, 2021, 5:58 am We won't be using the console based debugger though (as seen in the video above).
We'll use the more powerful GUI based one which will be in the Systems Console. IE:

Oh my god, my prayres are finally being answered!! :clap :clap :clap
Bring me to the promise land, and deliver me from GDB! haha

Thank you!!!!
this looks like everyting I'd hoped it would be and more, amazing. 8-)

viperxl2

Post by viperxl2 » October 3rd, 2021, 11:37 am

Amazing work Matt!!! You're becoming a PSX God. :lol:

ndavis82
I am a: Retro Gamer
PlayStation Model: SCPH-5501

Post by ndavis82 » October 7th, 2021, 1:32 pm

I've been lurking here on and off for a long time and I do get a kick out of watching people argue over silly stuff. I, for one, have been extremely happy with my PSIO. Matt, you're doing an incredible job and I look forward to the next big update.

Drunk_Caterpillar
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by Drunk_Caterpillar » November 1st, 2021, 6:14 pm

How goes?

Alucard971
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by Alucard971 » November 5th, 2021, 7:20 pm

You can pretty much see for yourself, minus a few bug reports it's been dead in the forum. Around mid Sept, there was talk about the new firmware and update being done by the end of 2021. There was a video release of the new debugger at the end of September and talk of more frequent updates after the debugger and protections go live. The status page hasn't been updated since August 13th, which followed the day after the progression thread was shut down due to negative comments. Other than that, not a whole lot of news.

Holidays will be coming soon. Here's to the hope of seeing new life in the PSIO for 2022. 🍻
Last edited by Alucard971 on November 6th, 2021, 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » November 5th, 2021, 11:21 pm

We're still working on it. It's just a lot of work and Yuri has been working hard on fixing some final timing bugs which will fix WipEout XL once and for all. Q1 or Q2 2022 will be when we release the new update.

PhilTheStampede
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by PhilTheStampede » November 6th, 2021, 5:32 pm

I like how people literally talk about progress, albeit slow progress, and then decide that you aren't working on it anymore. Like, why bother doing anything at all if it's dead? Doing it slow doesn't mean it's dead. It means it's slow. It's probably safe to assume that you're shooting for this being a one and done, but like most updates, that never happens.

Alucard971
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by Alucard971 » November 6th, 2021, 7:10 pm

Who mentioned anything about PSIO not being worked on anymore? If you're talking about what I typed, then I meant news has been dead, not the project.