PSIO Development Discussion Thread

Official Development, Research and Progress directly from Cybdyn Systems
Forum rules
This section is for development news, research, bug fixes, progress, changes and information in regards to PSIO directly posted from Cybdyn Systems. Do not post any questions here relating to your order as they will be deleted. Instead, please go back and create a new post in the "Help and Support" forum. Thanks.
viperxl2

Re: PSIO Development Discussion Thread

Post by viperxl2 » August 10th, 2021, 4:48 pm

All good things come to those who wait.

Drunk_Caterpillar
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by Drunk_Caterpillar » August 10th, 2021, 6:10 pm

Sounds like the next update is huge. Can’t wait to take it for a spin!

MateriaMind
/// CYBDYN SYSTEMS ELITE ///
I am a: Nurse
PlayStation Model: SCPH-5501

Post by MateriaMind » August 11th, 2021, 12:11 am

Hey there ;) - I'm back from the dead and ready to rock. It's been a long time since I was active on this forum, my God how time flies! I'm amazed at the PSIO from where it was at launch, (when I snagged one from that first run) to where it is now. Looking forward to this next update and also your dedicated ODE replacement. You guys have been busy- holy shit!!! I've been playing demo discs from PSIO and it's been flawless and a whole lotta fun. Demo discs are kind of a weird guilty pleasure of mine... :oops: Hope all is well in Australia. Stay safe and throw back a few cold ones.

And screw China :twisted:
"What is a man?!? A miserable little pile of secrets!"

daneeall
Seriously Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by daneeall » August 11th, 2021, 3:50 pm

In other words the people who bought an original PSIO are screwed, because of some scammers keep stealing your code from you. And there won't be any updates until you resolve this problem. We simply wanted the device that works with no issues, that's why we decided to support a genuine product, but instead we got an endless cycle of updates that fixes one game but brokes another over and over and over again. Some of us put up with it, some of us sold their PSIO on aftermarket because of the above (and that's I bet where your code leaks) And now those who supported cybdyn have to suffer also because of scammers, until you, probably when the cancer on the mountain will whistle, fix the theft problem. Which looks very doubtful.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
I am a: Systems Designer
PlayStation Model: H2700/5502

Post by Matt » August 11th, 2021, 5:42 pm

daneeall wrote: August 11th, 2021, 3:50 pm In other words the people who bought an original PSIO are screwed
Uh, sorry no, they're actually not "screwed". You've taken my sentences formality and completely misdirected it into a negative aspect. They're actually going to be taken care of and supported.

Please also tell me, what game in particular is giving you problems at the moment? I have not seen you post any bug reports for a long time.

Takehaniyasubiko
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1002

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » August 11th, 2021, 8:12 pm

It's a system of interconnected vessels. CybDyn makes the thing, but the early backers and later customers sponsored it. We understand the problem with the Chinese because that's affecting many companies these days, but It's very jarring to leave your customers hanging since December 2020 and grill any person who simply says they have problems with games. People don't usually sit down with a recording camera all the time, although we already had tons of audio and video recordings to prove the problems since most people went out of their way to document the issues they have with PSIO.

Those who stick with PSIO want this device to work and they are obviously supporting CybDyn over the Chinese. The idea that new people will come in their place is very naive because retro gaming on real hardware isn't that vast of a market due to the high cost and complexity of maintaining this stuff. I believe every person who decided to legally get PSIO for their ancient PS1 should be treated with respect. That's why I never ignore bug reports, even if they are for some obscure games I'd never want to play. In m opinion, there needs to be a detached perspective here: ODEs/flash carts are supposed to play all games on a given gaming hardware, so ensure that job is being done flawlessly instead of looking for hacks or trying to get people excited over extra features which mean nothing to a person who can't play their favourites games due to incompatibility.
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, an afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four, five times more, perhaps not even that."
- Paul Bowles

daneeall

Post by daneeall » August 11th, 2021, 9:09 pm

Matt wrote: August 11th, 2021, 5:42 pm Please also tell me, what game in particular is giving you problems at the moment? I have not seen you post any bug reports for a long time.
Let me see... An FMV freezing problem on Kingston cards (I keep facing this at random in various games, not just SF, Persona and Silent Bomber), and SD card initialisation failure after playing PSIO intro video - I even shot a video of that.
Somehow initialisation problem can be fixed by formatting card to FAT32 instead of EXFAT but this is a semisolution.
(Actually system boot time is decreased for a several seconds if card formatted to FAT32, but this is another story. I maybe will shot a comparison video of that or maybe not, right now I have no intention of it.)
At some point I just gave up on making reports of my freezing problems, due to lack of sense in this.

RoberMC
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by RoberMC » August 11th, 2021, 9:22 pm

Matt wrote: August 10th, 2021, 8:37 am
We are well aware about Abe's Oddysee and we have already fixed it.

Well sorry, but people will have to wait. We made and designed PSIO and we are the ones that put in thousands of hours of work into it. If people have a problem with waiting for us to protect our work an intellectual property then they can contact the Chinese distributors and complain to them about it. Simply put, we must stop the clones and work together because it's damaging our business and causing the consumers to suffer. Otherwise, the future of PSIO is in jeopardy.
:o I have never, ever, seen such a disrespect for customers in my life. What are we?, hostages?.

Do we really have to go out and complain to the Chinese manufacturers because of you failing to protect your intelectual property where you seem to be investing like 90% of your time working on the PSIO? :clap

Sometimes it is better not to say everything that goes around your head.

If you don´t like the clones, do what you can to stop them, but don't say your customers have to wait because of this, or that there are more important things that them, even if you think that way. There is something called bad PR.

Also, i am a bit with the rest, almost 9 months of waiting for some info, dates or something more precise is too much time for a security problem on your side. We do not care about anything chinese clone related stuff, i agree people should have a little patience and empathy, but for how long?.

Oh, and don't ask me what problems i have with my PSIO because i have not plugged my PS1 since more than a year ago, i just came here to see how the project was moving, and read good news about new features and fixes, then saw the front page full of excuses about credit cards, this stupid Clone Wars, and no movement in what should matter the most. Everything is so deceiving.

viperxl2

Post by viperxl2 » August 12th, 2021, 2:02 am

Y'all chill,, Matt is working hard to get this done! Everyone who purchased an original PSIO will be taken care of 100% If you can't afford to wait for this update then I suggest take your chances with the competition or make your own. Programming something complex like this isn't just as simple as "mak duh update plz" it takes extensive time and testing and often more than not while you think you may have accomplished something, very small flaws can throw it all off and you have to work it out and sometimes completely change your direction with how you assess the situation. In short stop crying for an update and be happy Matt puts effort into this project AT ALL! Said what I said...

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » August 12th, 2021, 7:53 am

daneeall wrote: August 11th, 2021, 9:09 pm
Matt wrote: August 11th, 2021, 5:42 pm Please also tell me, what game in particular is giving you problems at the moment? I have not seen you post any bug reports for a long time.
Let me see... An FMV freezing problem on Kingston cards (I keep facing this at random in various games, not just SF, Persona and Silent Bomber), and SD card initialisation failure after playing PSIO intro video - I even shot a video of that.
Somehow initialisation problem can be fixed by formatting card to FAT32 instead of EXFAT but this is a semisolution.
(Actually system boot time is decreased for a several seconds if card formatted to FAT32, but this is another story. I maybe will shot a comparison video of that or maybe not, right now I have no intention of it.)
At some point I just gave up on making reports of my freezing problems, due to lack of sense in this.
You'll have to send us your SD Cards so we can test them and figure out what's going on.

RoberMC wrote: August 11th, 2021, 9:22 pm Oh, and don't ask me what problems i have with my PSIO because i have not plugged my PS1 since more than a year ago.
Well then your entire statement is contradictory. You should update your firmware to the latest version and find a bug you can actually complain about so we can fix it in the next major update.

If this topic will be flooded with negative posts and general hate, I'll have to lock it and deal with the problems in PM's directly with users since you're all complaining about not getting updates, but what will the updates fix exactly. IE: What do you want from the update, because you have yet failed to mention anything specific (excusing daneeall of course because he has mentioned an SD Card issue).

Kito1984
I am a: Interpreter
Motto: Do no harm
PlayStation Model: SCPH-5500
Steam: kito_2003

Post by Kito1984 » August 12th, 2021, 8:14 am

RoberMC wrote: August 11th, 2021, 9:22 pm We do not care about anything chinese clone related stuff, i agree people should have a little patience and empathy, but for how long?
Until it's done, surely. Out of interest I've visited aliexpress and looked at the number of sold fakes. It seems that little more than a hundred devices were sold. So I look at it like this: them shit buyers, them fathertruckers screwed nine thousands (sic!) original PSIO owners. Each one of them screwed each one of us at least hundred of times (though sometimes manufacturers of fakes joined them too, of course). Should we complain to UN and WHO about this major gang bang? I bet we do.

And this Rama guy, this son of a mother and a father, programming devil. He takes every thing that will be implemented in PSIO in a 5-10 years and implements it right away. Just think about it: last year Matt announced MC manager, and guess what? X camp guys, these (lucky) bastards already use it! And we don't even have ETA. How cool is that? Or better still, let's look at the whole picture and think about somebody's present and our distant future:

SD Card Write Support :_/:

Improved USB Protocol :X:

Memory Card Manager (with MemCard Pro Support) :_/:

Systems Console Debugger and PS-EXE Uploading :X:

Lower SPU RAM Data Streaming (IE: Vib Ribbon) :_/:

MULTI-BIN and CUE Sheet Support :_/:

SBI (Sub-Channel) File Support for LibCrypt :_/:

CDDA Clipping :_/:

Folder-in-Folder Support :_/:

Or you may remember how beta-channel was created nine months ago. Most owners (thousands of them, as a matter of fact) didn't join it, of course, and probably thought that we, beta-testers, were testing something this whole time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVFd46qABi0

Guess what? That's right, after early January, when last beta was released, we did exactly nothing.

So ask yourself: am I screwed or am I screwed? Short answer: yes, you are screwed. Long answer: yes, you are screwed or you are screwed indeed :D

Though, jokes aside, I still think everything will be implemented someday. Or maybe it's really just this like someone has suggested in other topic:

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » August 12th, 2021, 8:33 am

I don't know what you're trying to accomplish from that post, but those figures are wrong. The Chinese clones sold is actually in the field of 4,500+ units, and I don't know why you're bringing Rama into this. We don't have anything against Rama. The method of which X-Station works is very clever, but in my opinion from an engineers perspective it's not a very good solution due to the way it's limited to the console board revision/model, the install is difficult and it can't manipulate the HC05 or board hardware for that matter.

Again, keep this thread on topic please or it will be locked until I can release more news/update information regarding PSIO.

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » August 12th, 2021, 8:57 am

Look at the bright side, Matt: most companies would be shredded to pieces after 9 months of radio silence, but legal PSIO owners are still waiting because despite all the unkept promises, YES, we understand you are actually working hard on this. But you have to understand something, too: it's not just about your profits, you have build trust and goodwill with your customers. Look at xStation: it's open source and they didn't protect the device at all, but they're still in business. How's that possible? It's because people trust them and buy from them. It's really that simple.

Did you check the updates for xStation? They have new sled move algorithm and improved seek accuracy and timing, which actually allows games that hang on real hardware to stay stable on xStation. All of that on the puny ESP32 chip, done by one person, in open source, within 7 months. Do you now understand why people are shocked that PSIO didn't get a single update in 9 months?
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, an afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four, five times more, perhaps not even that."
- Paul Bowles

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » August 12th, 2021, 9:16 am

Takehaniyasubiko wrote: August 12th, 2021, 8:57 am Look at the bright side, Matt: most companies would be shredded to pieces after 9 months of radio silence, but legal PSIO owners are still waiting because despite all the unkept promises, YES, we understand you are actually working hard on this. But you have to understand something, too: it's not just about your profits, you have build trust and goodwill with your customers. Look at x-station: it's open source and they didn't protect the device at all, but they're still in business. How's that possible? It's because people trust them and buy from them. It's really that simple.

Did you check the updates for x-station? They have new sled move algorithm and improved seek accuracy and timing, which actually allows games that hang on real hardware to stay stable on xStation. All of that within the puny ESP32 chip, done by one person, in open source, within one year. Do you know understand why people are shocked that PSIO didn't get a single update in 9 months?
It's not about the profits at all. It's about protecting our customers and putting their interest first. I've told everyone we're working on an update. You just have to be patient. It's as simple as that. If everyone keeps annoying us about this, it just slows things down and adds unnecessary stress.

That's all well and good for X-Station, but you can't compare the two devices in terms of how they operate, and if it's open source, they will have contributions from others which speeds up development.

The Atmel ARM 3U1C series is much more difficult to design for compared to the ESP32 actually.

Litzer
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by Litzer » August 12th, 2021, 9:18 am

The ODE seems to be the solution for all issues. If It arrives.

Syntax
Lives in the Cybdyn Systems Server
Lives in the Cybdyn Systems Server
I am a: ModMan
PlayStation Model: 5000x

Post by Syntax » August 12th, 2021, 9:19 am

9 months is pretty patient when everyone's stuck at home playing with themselves.
Get your ass into gear I say.
And update us on your ODE, you cock teased us with it a year ago and nothing since.
PSIO Switchboard Install and Console Mod Service (Australia/Worldwide)
viewtopic.php?f=72&t=3143

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » August 12th, 2021, 9:20 am

Matt wrote: August 12th, 2021, 9:16 amThat's all well and good for X-Station, but you can't compare the two devices in terms of how they operate, and if it's open source, they will have contributions from others which speeds up development.
In theory, but Rama did all of those updates by himself.
Matt wrote: August 12th, 2021, 9:16 amThe Atmel ARM 3U1C series is much more difficult to design for compared to the ESP32 actually.
But ESP32 is less powerful, so if ESP32 can handle all of that extremely fast and accurate CD-ROM emulation, then the Atmel chip in PSIO should do it two times over.

Remember that xStation and PSIO cost the same, so people just don't understand why company X can do all those constant updates when company Y doesn't fix a thing in 9 months. You have to put yourself in the shoes of ordinary customers and maybe look at the priorities here.
- Paul Bowles

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » August 12th, 2021, 9:28 am

Takehaniyasubiko wrote: August 12th, 2021, 9:20 am
Matt wrote: August 12th, 2021, 9:16 amThat's all well and good for X-Station, but you can't compare the two devices in terms of how they operate, and if it's open source, they will have contributions from others which speeds up development.
In theory, but Rama did all of those updates by himself.
Matt wrote: August 12th, 2021, 9:16 amThe Atmel ARM 3U1C series is much more difficult to design for compared to the ESP32 actually.
But ESP32 is (much) less powerful, so if ESP32 can handle all of that extremely fast and accurate CD-ROM emulation, then the Atmel chip in PSIO should do it three times over.

Remember that xStation and PSIO cost the same, so people just don't understand why company X can do all those constant updates when company Y doesn't fix a thing in 9 months. You have to put yourself in the shoes of ordinary customers and maybe look at the priorities here.
The CD-ROM is more accurate because of the interface they're using, and as I mentioned, they are completely different devices. We're working on PSIO to improve it even further to try and reach 100% accuracy as that's our primary goal.

Uhm, like I said, we are working on updates. Overall, Just be patient. All consumer items have delays. X-Station will eventually have delays too later on.

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » August 12th, 2021, 9:30 am

Matt wrote: August 12th, 2021, 9:28 amThe CD-ROM is more accurate because of the interface they're using, and as I mentioned, they are completely different devices. We're working on PSIO to improve it even further to try and reach 100% accuracy.
It's more accurate after all the updates Rama did. He re-wrote pretty much everything since the first release. The interface itself would not do them any good because the first firmware actual has tons of problems in games, despite the interface. The device started to be really good at emulating the CD-ROM because of firmware updates focused on accuracy.

It's not the chip nor the interface which maketh an ode/flashcart. It's all in the code, man.
- Paul Bowles

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » August 12th, 2021, 9:53 am

Takehaniyasubiko wrote: August 12th, 2021, 9:30 am
Matt wrote: August 12th, 2021, 9:28 amThe CD-ROM is more accurate because of the interface they're using, and as I mentioned, they are completely different devices. We're working on PSIO to improve it even further to try and reach 100% accuracy.
It's more accurate after all the updates Rama did. He re-wrote pretty much everything since the first release. The interface itself would not do them any good because the first firmware actual has tons of problems in games, despite the interface. The device started to be really good at emulating the CD-ROM because of firmware updates focused on accuracy.

It's not the chip nor the interface which maketh an ode/flashcart. It's all in the code, man.
Which is then basically the same as how PSIO was. Our firmware was rough at the start, but then it gradually got better as we worked on it. Now let's enter a critical scenario. Imagine someone copied X-Station, started manufacturing them (albeit in much worse quality) and was selling it without Rama's permission, and on top of that they were using his code. What do you think Rama would do.

Would he focus, work harder, listen to the abuse and scrutiny and add security to lock it down to protect his customers or just just stop working on it because it's now futile?
:null: