PSIO Development Discussion Thread

Official Development, Research and Progress directly from Cybdyn Systems
Forum rules
This section is for development news, research, bug fixes, progress, changes and information in regards to PSIO directly posted from Cybdyn Systems. Do not post any questions here relating to your order as they will be deleted. Instead, please go back and create a new post in the "Help and Support" forum. Thanks.
Takehaniyasubiko
/// CYBDYN SYSTEMS ELITE ///
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1002

Re: PSIO Development Discussion Thread

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » August 22nd, 2020, 9:50 am

fernan1234 wrote:
August 22nd, 2020, 9:48 am
I haven't seen any official word from the developer or the official vendor to indicate they're ignoring seek times, or that there are none. The only comment is that they're "reduced" relative to the original drive. And the chip may be simple, but hey, that may be all that's needed. The only way to know for sure is to try it out for ourselves.
There is a comment about no seek times somewhere on Twitter. It was in a long discussion with rama. Of course, that might not be an accurate statement, but it's weird they would boast about this when the load times should be exactly like from the CD-ROM if the seek times are emulated properly.

It will be exciting to see where the two devices end up being. We will witness both the testing of X-station and fixes to PSIO in the coming weeks/months.
Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, an afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four, five times more, perhaps not even that.
― Paul Bowles

fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 » August 22nd, 2020, 10:03 am

That may be as close as it can get given the absence of the mechanical moving parts of an actual disc drive. I don't think we'll ever get that until Cybdyn gives us that revolutionary pits-and-lands first-ever-true-ODE wonder device!

edit: one thing we have to give to the X-Station is that it uses a game list cache...
Last edited by fernan1234 on August 22nd, 2020, 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » August 22nd, 2020, 10:11 am

fernan1234 wrote:
August 22nd, 2020, 10:03 am
That may be as close as it can get given the absence of the mechanical moving parts of an actual disc drive. I don't think we'll ever get that until Cybdyn gives us that revolutionary pits-and-lands first-ever-true-ODE wonder device!
Well, you can emulate all of that without an ODE, and you should. XEBRA and Mednafen are basically loading games just like a real PS1 CD-ROM.

Let's hope Matt/Yuri are close to fixing the corrupted flag in the double-buffering (Need for Speed 1, etc.). That seems to be the only major hurdle right now. With that out of the way, PSIO should be 99% compatible, with only the SPU registers posing a challenge in a handful of weirdly coded games.
Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, an afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four, five times more, perhaps not even that.
― Paul Bowles

Listai
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by Listai » August 22nd, 2020, 5:47 pm

Takehaniyasubiko wrote:
August 22nd, 2020, 10:11 am
Let's hope Matt/Yuri are close to fixing the corrupted flag in the double-buffering (Need for Speed 1, etc.). That seems to be the only major hurdle right now. With that out of the way, PSIO should be 99% compatible, with only the SPU registers posing a challenge in a handful of weirdly coded games.
Yeah - we're so close now so it would be great to see those niggling issues fixed!

fille1976
Lives in the Cybdyn Systems Server
Lives in the Cybdyn Systems Server

Post by fille1976 » August 22nd, 2020, 6:38 pm

Takehaniyasubiko wrote:
August 22nd, 2020, 9:50 am
fernan1234 wrote:
August 22nd, 2020, 9:48 am
I haven't seen any official word from the developer or the official vendor to indicate they're ignoring seek times, or that there are none. The only comment is that they're "reduced" relative to the original drive. And the chip may be simple, but hey, that may be all that's needed. The only way to know for sure is to try it out for ourselves.
There is a comment about no seek times somewhere on Twitter. It was in a long discussion with rama. Of course, that might not be an accurate statement, but it's weird they would boast about this when the load times should be exactly like from the CD-ROM if the seek times are emulated properly.

It will be exciting to see where the two devices end up being. We will witness both the testing of X-station and fixes to PSIO in the coming weeks/months.
With the big difference that psio is out for years and x-station from september.
After all those years,most expected that those bugs ironed out.
I'm not gona make drama about it,but i'm dissapointed in psio.
And like your said,we will see where those 2 ends in a couple weeks or months.

dada1212

Post by dada1212 » August 23rd, 2020, 12:09 am

Listai wrote:
August 22nd, 2020, 8:19 am
Bob from RetroRGB posted a really fair comparison between the XStation and the PSIO. He really seems like a decent guy as he's completely ignored the drama and online pile-on to evaluate both products on their merits. He comes off recommending both depending on the user's requirements.

Personally I hope that a little competition will be good for the platform - I want to see those remaining bugs finally squashed.
Again the same thing. When it goes on sale, the X-station I'm sure will not have 100% compatibility. Looking at the game selection menu, it is already clear that the developers are in a hurry to release. Here the question is how quickly they will make a very high compatibility. Players will choose not what loads the menu quickly or whether it is easy to install, but what percentage of compatible games. I am sure that the developers of X-station will try to make sure that the games that PSIO has problems with will not make them problematic on X-station. A couple of custom videos about that, watch! "We have everything cool, and PSIO can't solve the compatibility problem." And other games that go well on PSIO, on X-station can go with problems. So, Mat and Yuri should not relax, otherwise it threatens to lose the market and even a new product will not help. Users simply won't trust compatibility. But this is my opinion, maybe it is not correct. The question here is who will remain the leader and who will not.
Takehaniyasubiko wrote:
August 22nd, 2020, 10:11 am
fernan1234 wrote:
August 22nd, 2020, 10:03 am
Well, you can emulate all of that without an ODE, and you should. XEBRA and Mednafen are basically loading games just like a real PS1 CD-ROM.

As i read on Jira, there will be no fix. Because it will need heavy hardware modification. So all problems games will be left on?

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » August 23rd, 2020, 12:36 am

dada1212 wrote:
August 23rd, 2020, 12:09 am
As i read on Jira, there will be no fix. Because it will need heavy hardware modification. So all problems games will be left on?
That entry is from years ago. CybDyn is learning all the time. Jackie Chan NTSC was considered dead for good on PSIO, but their new bus analyser made it possible to fix it.

In the worst case scenario, compatibility should still be 99% because only a handful of games need PSIO to have the SPU RAM buffer data.
― Paul Bowles

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
I am a: Systems Designer
PlayStation Model: H2700/5502

Post by Matt » August 26th, 2020, 4:23 am

Resident Evil 2, 3 and Need for Speed have just been fixed.
Working on getting this awesome update out as soon as I can :)

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » August 26th, 2020, 4:27 am

Matt wrote:
August 26th, 2020, 4:23 am
Were the issues related or separate?

Also, did you manage to find out why RE2-3 worked on some consoles?

Awesome to hear about the update. Congrats and thanks for your hard work.

BTW, you could take a look at Roswell Conspiracies now. It should be an easy fix as the reason for its lack of CD-DA playback during gameplay is known.
― Paul Bowles

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » August 26th, 2020, 5:41 am

They were separate. I won't say what the exact cause was because the X-Station guys are checking our log notes and research. It all came down though to edge-case timing. Took a lot of time to find which is why an update to the notes was overdue. Our trusty Agilent 1683A logic analyser found it in the end :)

Sure, we'll take a look at 'Roswell Conspiracies' and get it fixed.

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » August 26th, 2020, 5:53 am

Matt wrote:
August 26th, 2020, 5:41 am
Sure, we'll take a look at 'Roswell Conspiracies' and get it fixed.
To save yourself time, focus on the timing of the first CD-DA playback report. Most games don't care about this, but Roswell Conspiracies need it delayed exactly like on real hardware or else the in-game engine will simply skip the CD-DA playback altogether and only generate sound effects.

Would the FF7 stuttering be fixed as well with the new timing improvements? Sounds like it should, especially in regards to the double-buffering.
― Paul Bowles

Pupil
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by Pupil » August 26th, 2020, 6:05 am

Matt wrote:
This is good news. Though I haven't had issues with these games myself I guess it was a problem for some consoles.

ndavis82
Seriously Active at Cybdyn Systems
Seriously Active at Cybdyn Systems
I am a: Retro Gamer
PlayStation Model: SCPH-5501

Post by ndavis82 » August 26th, 2020, 8:31 am

Matt wrote:
:praise

Kito1984
I am a: Interpreter
Motto: Do no harm
PlayStation Model: SCPH-5500
Steam: kito_2003

Post by Kito1984 » August 26th, 2020, 8:55 am

Matt wrote:
Perfect, this should bring PSIO even closer to 100% compatibility. Thanks for your work!

fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 » August 26th, 2020, 10:05 am

Exciting news!

Listai
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by Listai » August 26th, 2020, 11:46 am

Matt wrote:
Amazing news!

How's FFVII going? I'm hankering for a replay after slogging through the abysmal remake.

rot86
I am a: Playlister
PlayStation Model: SCPH-7502
Steam: _rot

Post by rot86 » August 26th, 2020, 2:41 pm

Matt, will the new update come with the menu sound fix?

bikerspade
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1001

Post by bikerspade » August 26th, 2020, 3:01 pm

rot86 wrote:
August 26th, 2020, 2:41 pm
Matt, will the new update come with the menu sound fix?
According to viewtopic.php?f=81&t=3380 it will include the menu sound fix.

SpockYoda

Post by SpockYoda » August 26th, 2020, 3:40 pm

Has anyone gotten the Wu Tang Clan game to successfully boot into a match?'

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » August 26th, 2020, 5:08 pm

SpockYoda wrote:
August 26th, 2020, 3:40 pm
Has anyone gotten the Wu Tang Clan game to successfully boot into a match?'
Make a new topic about it and we'll check it out.