PSIO Development Discussion Thread

Official Development, Research and Progress directly from Cybdyn Systems
Forum rules
This section is for development news, research, bug fixes, progress, changes and information in regards to PSIO directly posted from Cybdyn Systems. Do not post any questions here relating to your order as they will be deleted. Instead, please go back and create a new post in the "Help and Support" forum. Thanks.
James-F
/// CYBDYN SYSTEMS ELITE ///

Re: PSIO Development Discussion Thread

Post by James-F » February 15th, 2020, 4:38 am

Last edited by James-F on June 30th, 2020, 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SCPH-7000 (x2), SCPH-7501, SCPH-101, SCPH-102

mario64
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by mario64 » February 15th, 2020, 5:20 am

James-F wrote:
February 15th, 2020, 4:38 am
Matt wrote:
February 3rd, 2020, 12:07 pm
Hopefully in a week or so. Just doing some tests on the new CU2 logic in the ARM. Don't worry, all the information regarding it will be discussed soon and the Systems Console will be updated so everyone is happy with the results :)
February 3rd...
... hopefully this weekend.
LOL yeah. It's been a loooooong week ;)

Tobiasrieper
Lives in the Cybdyn Systems Server

Post by Tobiasrieper » February 15th, 2020, 7:59 am

I feel like this will be the best update yet. I would gladly give a kidney in exchange for the DTL H2700 thingy that Matt needs as I am so invested in this magical device :)

Takehaniyasubiko
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1002

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » February 15th, 2020, 8:01 am

Tobiasrieper wrote:
February 15th, 2020, 7:59 am
I would gladly give a kidney in exchange for the DTL H2700 thingy that Matt needs as I am so invested in this magical device :)
Yikes, let's not carried away. Hold on to your kidney, man.

DTL-H2700 is mostly for optimizing the Menu System, BTW. ;)
Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, an afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four, five times more, perhaps not even that.
― Paul Bowles

Tobiasrieper

Post by Tobiasrieper » February 15th, 2020, 8:33 am

Oh, I thought it was super important to do with the compatibility of the games. Well I have two ;) Thanks for the info though :)

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » February 15th, 2020, 8:37 am

Tobiasrieper wrote:
February 15th, 2020, 8:33 am
Oh, I thought it was super important to do with the compatibility of the games.
Matt can debug games well already. DTL-H2700 - specifically, its performance analyzer board - is needed to get more speed/FPS from PS1. Read this interview with the legendary Mr. Program Analyzer if you're interested: http://www.fultonsoft.com/tag/performance-analyzer/

Some highlights from the interview:
Case in point: Tomb Raider for the PS. The *ORIGINAL* game, that is, was running at about 5 fps when the developers brought it in for analysis. It was essentially unplayable, and the developers were beginning to get worried that it wasn’t going to get any better. Keep in mind that this is still just a few months after the machine first launched. Many developers were still working on their first title and didn’t really know what sort of performance they could expect from the machine. After doing our analysis, a few simple optimizations brought the frame rate up to 20 fps.
Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, an afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four, five times more, perhaps not even that.
― Paul Bowles

Tobiasrieper

Post by Tobiasrieper » February 16th, 2020, 5:34 am

mario64 wrote:
February 15th, 2020, 5:20 am
James-F wrote:
February 15th, 2020, 4:38 am
Matt wrote:
February 3rd, 2020, 12:07 pm
Hopefully in a week or so. Just doing some tests on the new CU2 logic in the ARM. Don't worry, all the information regarding it will be discussed soon and the Systems Console will be updated so everyone is happy with the results :)
February 3rd...
... hopefully this weekend.
LOL yeah. It's been a loooooong week ;)
It's this weekend the weekend? In sure hope so. I got bored and changed the LED in my PS1 to white. Makes it look futuristic.

James-F

Post by James-F » February 16th, 2020, 6:52 am

Next thing you know, the PSIO able to save files to the SD card and supports a cache list for super fast boot time. :D
Or something else but BIG,, this firmware was 'ready' more than two weeks ago according to several posts by Matt.
Weekend is almost over, so we wait. :)
SCPH-7000 (x2), SCPH-7501, SCPH-101, SCPH-102

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » February 16th, 2020, 6:57 am

To paraphrase Shigeru Miyamoto, a delayed firmware is eventually good, but a rushed firmware is a shitstorm on the forums.

Patience, children of the night. You shall be making beautiful music soon enough.
― Paul Bowles

Kito1984
I am a: Interpreter
Motto: Do no harm
PlayStation Model: SCPH-5500
Steam: kito_2003

Post by Kito1984 » February 16th, 2020, 6:14 pm

Takehaniyasubiko wrote:
February 16th, 2020, 6:57 am
Patience, children of the night. You shall be making beautiful music soon enough.
Very soon, actually, the firmware is out now! :dance

Many thanks for all your work, Matt and Yuri, the time for new round of testing has come!

fille1976

Post by fille1976 » February 16th, 2020, 7:15 pm

Thx matt and all others,firmware succesfully installed,now begins testing.

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » February 16th, 2020, 7:51 pm

vitaflo, please check the frame pacing in FFVII on the new firmware.
― Paul Bowles

fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 » February 17th, 2020, 1:17 am

Oof, not the ideal start for the new firmware testing, but so far it looks like it's one that finally fixed more than it broke. The general audio bugs should take priority since they affect multiple games.

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » February 17th, 2020, 3:43 am

We need vitaflo's professional video capture and analysis to deny or confirm this, but to my eyes, the frame pacing is fixed.

EDIT: whitezombie confirmed it's still a problem in Final Fantasy VII in the battles on the world map.
Last edited by Takehaniyasubiko on February 17th, 2020, 4:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
― Paul Bowles

brautz
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by brautz » February 17th, 2020, 4:11 am

Hello everyone.
I have make a simple executable file (implemented in C++ for windows 64 bit) that updates a cu2 file in old format into the new format by simple drag and release the file on the excetuble file (the old cu2 file will be overwritten in this way). The conversion is made only if it is required.
Find attached a figure to explain what the executable file do.
If Matt is interested into the source code in C++ or directly of the executable file in order to share it with the community I will be happy to provide it.
PS: sorry for my poor english
Attachments
conversion.png
(13.18 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by brautz on February 18th, 2020, 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kito1984
I am a: Interpreter
Motto: Do no harm
PlayStation Model: SCPH-5500
Steam: kito_2003

Post by Kito1984 » February 17th, 2020, 6:02 am

whitezombie wrote:
February 17th, 2020, 4:58 am
I don't know if others can can tell by watching the videos captured with my phone. I don't have any video capture equipment to do a side by side comparison, but when you actually play the game you can tell there is a difference. Here's a couple more videos. Hopefully these can help and lead to something to get the issue resolved.

Real CD: https://youtu.be/IJdA6Fvqnts

PSIO: https://youtu.be/LaL5ToTVknM
There's definetely a difference here, it's sad that FF VII still hasn't been figured fully. I haven't noticed such slowdowns in other games that I've played.

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » February 17th, 2020, 6:21 am

Kito1984 wrote:
February 17th, 2020, 6:02 am
There's definetely a difference here, it's sad that FF VII still hasn't been figured fully. I haven't noticed such slowdowns in other games that I've played.
This will only happen in games which perform background pooling after already having loaded a game area (like FFVII, VIII and IX). But it seems it also depends on the game area itself.

I have a FFVII save in Midgar and I actually don't see this happening, but I've checked a FFVIII save from the world map and it has the same micro-pausing problem when battles start.
― Paul Bowles

Xero9009

Post by Xero9009 » February 17th, 2020, 7:33 am

Thanks for the new firmware upgrade.

I’m kind of concerned with the new bugs being reported that weren’t there before (with Tomb Raider and Symphony of the Night); is it not possible with PS1 development to have something fixed without breaking something else?

Other ODEs and flash carts have things working near flawlessly (the Everdrives, GC-Loader, etc.) so I’m wondering why PSIO has such a hard time in comparison

iggy_poop

Post by iggy_poop » February 17th, 2020, 8:40 am

Xero9009 wrote:
February 17th, 2020, 7:33 am
Thanks for the new firmware upgrade.

I’m kind of concerned with the new bugs being reported that weren’t there before (with Tomb Raider and Symphony of the Night); is it not possible with PS1 development to have something fixed without breaking something else?

Other ODEs and flash carts have things working near flawlessly (the Everdrives, GC-Loader, etc.) so I’m wondering why PSIO has such a hard time in comparison
This is what PSIO has been like since July 2019. It's pretty depressing lol.

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » February 17th, 2020, 8:45 am

iggy_poop wrote:
February 17th, 2020, 8:40 am
This is what PSIO has been like since July 2019. It's pretty depressing lol.
It was far worse before July 2019. The old firmware had VRAM corruption, very inaccurate loading commands logic, wrong timings, no seek calculations, invalid pregaps, multi-disc issues, etc.

A ton of games had been fixed in the last ~8 months (even Beast Wars Transmetals). Of course, there are still bugs which need fixing, but if somebody says the 2018 firmware was better overall, then it's not true. We just didn't have so many people reporting issues back then.
― Paul Bowles