PSIO Development Discussion Thread

Official Development, Research and Progress directly from Cybdyn Systems
Forum rules
This section is for development news, research, bug fixes, progress, changes and information in regards to PSIO directly posted from Cybdyn Systems. Do not post any questions here relating to your order as they will be deleted. Instead, please go back and create a new post in the "Help and Support" forum. Thanks.
Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
I am a: Systems Designer
PlayStation Model: H2700/5502

Re: PSIO Development Discussion Thread

Post by Matt » December 11th, 2019, 12:22 am

Yep. PSIO is playing 150 frames which is actually 2 seconds of hardcoded pregap. We're working on a patch now.

James-F
/// CYBDYN SYSTEMS ELITE ///

Post by James-F » December 11th, 2019, 12:29 am

Ah, good.
It confirms I'm not going crazy.

Once that part of the ARM is fixed, creating a proper CU2 with index 01 timestamps will be a walk in the park.
btw, DATA1 should always be 00:00:00 after that fix.

Also this report:
James-f wrote:CUE/CU3 to CU2 option no longer works,, I'm trying to convert a .cue file form binmerge.
I have "ERROR: too many indexes for track 01".
SCPH-7000 (x2), SCPH-7501, SCPH-101, SCPH-102

Takehaniyasubiko
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1002

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » December 11th, 2019, 5:21 am

After installing the latest Mono for Wine, Systems Console 2.7 half-works. It cannot perform many functions because it gives an error from the attached image, but it's capable of creating CU2s without crashing completely. If you can fix the error reported by James-F above, Linux users will at least be able to use BINMERGE + the "Convert CUE/CU3 to CU2" option.

BTW, these three posts by a developer at hydrogenaud.io offer the best explanation of audio tracks and pregaps on CD you can find online. It's very helpful to read them and avoid any confusion in this matter.
Attachments
sc.png
(19.51 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, an afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four, five times more, perhaps not even that.
― Paul Bowles

James-F

Post by James-F » December 12th, 2019, 5:46 pm

Just a quick summary of things to be fixed in the next SysCon and PSIO for proper CDDA playback (as I understand):
  • Fix "Convert CUE/CU3 to CU2".
  • Generate CU2 according to Index 01 (not Index 00 +2) of original binmerge CUE, including DATA1 track.
  • Both "Convert CUE/CU3 to CU2" and "Multiple Binary Image Merge" should produce exactly the same CU2 file.
  • Fix PSIO (ARM) to play CU2 timestamps exactly on time (fix hardcoded -2 pregap playback).
  • Keep "Add +2 seconds" option in SysCon for older firmware that still start playing -2 before CU2 timestamp.
  • Don't move or delete original multi-bin and .cue files when bin merging (please!!), only move the resulting .CU2 and .BIN to a new folder.
  • Resulting .BIN file should always be redump accurate.
  • Fix SysCon for Linux (Wine) if at all possible.
I hope it makes some sense out of the last 12 pages of discussion, and provides an organized check list.

PS.
Current versions as of this post.
SysCon v2.7,, ARM 2.6.6,, FW 2.6.10.

James-F

Post by James-F » December 13th, 2019, 3:35 am

I also remembered the bug with MULTIDISC.LST where a "./folder/game.bin" path didn't work but "/path/game.bin" did work.
So something about the "." prevents the path from booting in M-Disc list.

fille1976
Lives in the Cybdyn Systems Server

Post by fille1976 » December 13th, 2019, 4:23 am

James-F wrote:
December 12th, 2019, 5:46 pm
Just a quick summary of things to be fixed in the next SysCon and PSIO for proper CDDA playback (as I understand):
  • Fix "Convert CUE/CU3 to CU2".
  • Generate CU2 according to Index 01 (not Index 00 +2) of original binmerge CUE, including DATA1 track.
  • Both "Convert CUE/CU3 to CU2" and "Multiple Binary Image Merge" should produce exactly the same CU2 file.
  • Fix PSIO (ARM) to play CU2 timestamps exactly on time (fix hardcoded -2 pregap playback).
  • Keep "Add +2 seconds" option in SysCon for older firmware that still start playing -2 before CU2 timestamp.
  • Don't move or delete original multi-bin and .cue files when bin merging (please!!), only move the resulting .CU2 and .BIN to a new folder.
  • Resulting .BIN file should always be redump accurate.
  • Fix SysCon for Linux (Wine) if at all possible.
I hope it makes some sense out of the last 12 pages of discussion, and provides an organized check list.

PS.
Current versions as of this post.
SysCon v2.7,, ARM 2.6.6,, FW 2.6.10.

I hope i don't have to convert my 256gb on games.
They all converted years ago when psio was just out.

James-F

Post by James-F » December 13th, 2019, 4:36 am

I want an honest opinion here.
Do you (generally speaking) think it is better for CybDyn to keep a fundamental 'bug' in the firmware, just to prevent some temporary current user inconvenience?
What about future users?, someone will have to explain to them why there is inconsistency between the CU2 and the actual CDDA playback time.
Can you offer a solution?

And btw, if you created your CU2 lists from a multi-bin with older SysCon, then your timestamps are also incorrect.

Kito1984
I am a: Interpreter
Motto: Do no harm
PlayStation Model: SCPH-5500
Steam: kito_2003

Post by Kito1984 » December 13th, 2019, 4:48 am

It's super simple to convert images with SysCon anyway. Just disable backups, unzip all your images and cues to one folder and specify this folder to SysCon. It automatically creates cu2s, creates folders and everything. It took me about an hour to convert more than 200 Gb of games. It takes another two to copy them to SD-card, but, oh well, you can do whatever you want during this three hours... I'd prefer CRC2 perfect images and cu2s with correct timestamps.

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » December 13th, 2019, 4:49 am

James-F wrote:
December 13th, 2019, 4:36 am
Do you (generally speaking) think it is better for CybDyn to keep a fundamental 'bug' in the firmware, just to prevent some temporary current user inconvenience?
Yeah, Matt needs to fix that ridiculous delay in the firmware and we all need to re-do our CU2s, but:

a) make sure this time it's perfect and set in stone, so we won't have to re-do them all over again at some point (or just drop the CU2 nonsense and ensure CUE compatibility - Redump uses only standard CUE sheets, no weird metadata there);

b) ensure all users can swiftly re-do their CU2s (if Matt doesn't want to fix SC for Wine, at least provide a Python script for Linux).
Last edited by Takehaniyasubiko on December 14th, 2019, 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, an afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four, five times more, perhaps not even that.
― Paul Bowles

fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 » December 13th, 2019, 4:55 am

Kito1984 wrote:
December 13th, 2019, 4:48 am
It's super simple to convert images with SysCon anyway. Just disable backups, unzip all your images and cues to one folder and specify this folder to SysCon. It automatically creates cu2s, creates folders and everything. It took me about an hour to convert more than 200 Gb of games. It takes another two to copy them to SD-card, but, oh well, you can do whatever you want during this three hours... I'd prefer CRC2 perfect images and cu2s with correct timestamps.
Anyone re-merging their whole large collection should probably work in small batches, rather than all of it at once, since SysCon can often return errors and halt the operation if it encounters something it doesn't like in the file path, or if there is a slight issue in the file names within the cue file.

For those of us who already went through this and have proper bins already, the best solution will be batch conversion with settings for each of the following:
1. original cue files only into correct cu2s for the new ARM
2. previously "correct" cu2s (generated by cue2cu2 or manually edited for the old/current ARM) to correct cu2s
3. previous incorrect cu2s (generated by CS from multi-bins) to correct cu2s

That should cover everyone and limit the pain from this transition.

bikerspade
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1001

Post by bikerspade » December 13th, 2019, 5:12 am

As a sanity test, any real example of a multi-track CU2 for old/current ARM, vs what it would/should look like for the new ARM?

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » December 13th, 2019, 5:21 am

bikerspade wrote:
December 13th, 2019, 5:12 am
As a sanity test, any real example of a multi-track CU2 for old/current ARM, vs what it would/should look like for the new ARM?
We should wait for it be finalized first.

For example, I asked a well-known PS1 and PC programmer about .cue sheets on ARM Cortex-M3 and he said that MCU has more than enough power to parse them. If it's possible to do, it would put all this to rest once and for all. Almost everybody uses Redump and even those few who make their own rips will end up with the same .cue sheets if they want perfect rips.
― Paul Bowles

James-F

Post by James-F » December 13th, 2019, 5:29 am

Takehaniyasubiko wrote:
December 13th, 2019, 4:49 am
Yeah, Matt needs to fix that ridiculous delay in the firmware and we all need to re-do our CU2s,
Kito1984 wrote:
December 13th, 2019, 4:48 am
I'd prefer CRC2 perfect images and cu2s with correct timestamps.
Right, we agree that we simply cannot stagnate progress for selfish reasons.
As for redoing your entire SD card CU2 lists,, we'll just have to take one for the team and "just do it".
Cue2cu2 does this now with the "--nocompat" option,, or just disable "Add +2" in the next SysCon.

BTW, not 100% of games have CDDA, I only have like 30 out of 100 games that are CDDA based.
Redoing 256gb was quite an exaggeration, no?
bikerspade wrote:
December 13th, 2019, 5:12 am
My 'go to' test games are MK3 and Tomb Raider,, you can hear immediately if there is a problem with timestamps.
As for CU2 list check,, compare the CU2 timestamps to INDEX 01 values in the original .CUE from binmerge.
New ARM fix (if it is done) should play CU2 timestamps that match index 01 with no pregap or cutting.
Old ARM should play with no pregap or cutting, with the "Add +2" option, adds +2 seconds to index 01 timestamps.

fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 » December 13th, 2019, 5:55 am

James-F wrote:
December 13th, 2019, 5:29 am
BTW, not 100% of games have CDDA, I only have like 30 out of 100 games that are CDDA based.
Redoing 256gb was quite an exaggeration, no?
It's probably simpler to redo the whole set of cues/cu2s than to look up which games among a large collection have been correctly reported to be CDDA based.

But as I said before, if the right tools are available for conversion this won't be so bad.

Kito1984
I am a: Interpreter
Motto: Do no harm
PlayStation Model: SCPH-5500
Steam: kito_2003

Post by Kito1984 » December 13th, 2019, 5:52 pm

fernan1234 wrote:
December 13th, 2019, 4:55 am
Anyone re-merging their whole large collection should probably work in small batches, rather than all of it at once, since SysCon can often return errors and halt the operation if it encounters something it doesn't like in the file path, or if there is a slight issue in the file names within the cue file.

For those of us who already went through this and have proper bins already, the best solution will be batch conversion with settings for each of the following:
1. original cue files only into correct cu2s for the new ARM
2. previously "correct" cu2s (generated by cue2cu2 or manually edited for the old/current ARM) to correct cu2s
3. previous incorrect cu2s (generated by CS from multi-bins) to correct cu2s

That should cover everyone and limit the pain from this transition.
You very well may be right, but I had problems only with a couple games with very long names, but it was quite obvious, and I initially converted them in a different batch.

It will be very handy to have such scenarious, of course, let's hope transition process will be fast and simple for everyone.

Syntax
I am a: ModMan
PlayStation Model: 5000x

Post by Syntax » December 14th, 2019, 4:23 am

Having to regenerate all of my CU2 files is a real PITA.

Sure you can dump all your single .bin and .cue files in 1 folder, add a multi .bin .cue and tell System console to batch convert and it will convert that 1 game then make a .cu2 file for every other game but that is a round about hacky method.

Also all of my .bin files are named disc.bin/disc2.bin so i cant really put them all in one folder to do this.

Would it be possible to make sysconsole able to batch create cu2, recursively searching through folders for cues to convert?

Either that or get someone to add cue2cu2 script to the mergerhelper one that does all multibins batched correctly.

https://github.com/mtrivs/MergeHelper

https://github.com/NRGDEAD/Cue2cu2
Redump USA / EURO / JP & ASIA cue/cu2 collection for PSIO
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1TSvP5 ... -qK4wR_-gT

How to batch process multi bin games and cu2 for PSIO
viewtopic.php?f=72&t=3162

Anti Dithering Patcher
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1u5a7r ... Gf_3jboYYb

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » December 14th, 2019, 4:31 am

Syntax wrote:
December 14th, 2019, 4:23 am
Having to regenerate all of my CU2 files is a real PITA.
The best thing for both the old and new users would be to put that extra mile and add standard .cue support. Loboto 3 says there's no problem with parsing the standard cue sheet syntax on ARM Cortex-M3. All the non-standard cue sheets should be simply ignored. You'll never run into a non-standard cue sheet with Redump and the ripping tools for 1:1 PS1 disc images.
― Paul Bowles

Syntax
I am a: ModMan
PlayStation Model: 5000x

Post by Syntax » December 14th, 2019, 4:41 am

It would be a couple of lines of code to get sysconsole to search for .cue in subfolders and batch convert.
It can already do it just not in subfolders.

Until .cue support is implemented(which would be awesome) it would be nice to be able to easily "fix" all my cu2 files everytime there is a new "discovery"
Redump USA / EURO / JP & ASIA cue/cu2 collection for PSIO
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1TSvP5 ... -qK4wR_-gT

How to batch process multi bin games and cu2 for PSIO
viewtopic.php?f=72&t=3162

Anti Dithering Patcher
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1u5a7r ... Gf_3jboYYb

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » December 14th, 2019, 4:45 am

Syntax wrote:
December 14th, 2019, 4:41 am
Until .cue support is implemented(which would be awesome) it would be nice to be able to easily "fix" all my cu2 files everytime there is a new "discovery"
Whatever the solution is going to be, it simply must be final and sector-perfect with 1:1 rips. Half-measures come back with a vengeance.
― Paul Bowles

NRGDEAD
I am a: Noob

Post by NRGDEAD » December 14th, 2019, 5:01 am

Syntax wrote:
December 14th, 2019, 4:23 am
Either that or get someone to add cue2cu2 script to the mergerhelper one that does all multibins batched correctly.
Just for fun, I copied a few test images to my ram disk, deleted the existing CU2 sheets, and recreated them via this one-liner. Took like one second to execute and worked out well.

Code: Select all

find . -maxdepth 1 -type d | tail -n +2 | while read dir; do cd $dir; find . -name "*.cue" -exec ~/cue2cu2/cue2cu2.py --nocompat {} \; ; cd -; done;
Of course, you need to still have your single-bin cue sheets from binmerge or whatever tool was used to get a single-bin image. You could run this after the MergeHelper linked above.
And use it at your own risk, though. ;-) Maybe test it beforehand with 2-3 images copied to a separate directory. Linux/Mac only, but I'm sure something similar can be done on Windows via cmd.exe or PowerShell.
Cue2cu2: A Python script for creating CU2 sheets via the command line on Linux/Mac/Windows.
GitHub / Forum

PSIO wallpaper template in Photoshop format.