PSIO Development Discussion Thread

Official Development, Research and Progress directly from Cybdyn Systems
Forum rules
This section is for development news, research, bug fixes, progress, changes and information in regards to PSIO directly posted from Cybdyn Systems. Do not post any questions here relating to your order as they will be deleted. Instead, please go back and create a new post in the "Help and Support" forum. Thanks.
Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
I am a: Systems Designer
PlayStation Model: H2700/5502

Post by Matt » September 18th, 2019, 2:23 am

:null:
The old threads have been packed away, making this #5
Here users can discuss freely about PSIO related content regarding development, issues, firmwares, etc.
:null:
Please do not post repeated comments. That's what the search function is for.
Please keep this thread on topic and don't discuss anything else apart from PSIO.

uncon
Just Joined
Just Joined

Re: PSIO Development Discussion Thread

Post by uncon » September 18th, 2019, 2:45 am

Can we please have a thread dedicated to release announcements only?! (Being subscribed to this thread is painful.)

James-F
/// CYBDYN SYSTEMS ELITE ///

Post by James-F » September 18th, 2019, 2:46 am

Amen
We have new users with 1 post, already saying that this thread is a total repetition dumpster,, that has to mean something.
None other besides Matt and Yuri can actually provide "News" or "Development" info...
A locked thread for News, Development, and Announcements only, please.

EDIT:
This post was on page 96 of the old "News and Development Thread" which was cleaned since.
Last edited by James-F on September 18th, 2019, 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
SCPH-7000 (x2), SCPH-7501, SCPH-101, SCPH-102

Tobiasrieper
Lives in the Cybdyn Systems Server

Post by Tobiasrieper » September 18th, 2019, 2:47 am

Good idea. Lock this thread so only Matt and Yuri post? We can use the game compatibility thread instead :) I ain't gonna post here no more maybe others could do the same.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » September 18th, 2019, 2:48 am

Done :)

James-F

Post by James-F » September 18th, 2019, 2:53 am

Thank you very much Matt.
I hope this thread keeps a high level of discourse.
SCPH-7000 (x2), SCPH-7501, SCPH-101, SCPH-102

Kito1984
I am a: Interpreter
Motto: Do no harm
PlayStation Model: SCPH-5500
Steam: kito_2003

Post by Kito1984 » September 18th, 2019, 2:57 am

Well, I like this thread, because it's like seeing development in real time, some problems are solved, new problems arise, these are solved, but some of the old reappear. True rollercoaster :D And Takehaniyasubiko's posts are really helpful, I think, because he tests games almost every day (or so it seems). Though, maybe, one shouldn't compare PSIO with similar devices and emulators, cause such comparisons are not getting us anywhere, I don't think Matt could just copy code and everything would work fine on real hardware.

Separate topic for announcements and development news is good idea too, of course, but this shouldn't be deleted, IMHO.

Takehaniyasubiko
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1002

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » September 18th, 2019, 3:00 am

Kito1984 wrote:
September 18th, 2019, 2:57 am
Though, maybe, one shouldn't compare PSIO with similar devices and emulators, cause such comparisons are not getting us anywhere, I don't think Matt could just copy code and everything would work fine on real hardware.
He can't copy anything for various reasons, the biggest one being legal rights.

However, there's much to be learned from emulation. For example, the author of the PSX core for Mednafen warns about changing the Interrupt timing even in minimal increments in his notes and this applies to any PS1 CD-ROM emulation, be it software or hardware, for PC or for PSIO.
Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, an afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four, five times more, perhaps not even that.
― Paul Bowles

fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 » September 18th, 2019, 6:04 am

The separate announcement and discussion threads seem like a good idea!

BTW, I've heard of two different legit PSIO users who are considering buying a spare PSIO clone simply because those ship with earlier firmwares, as they've had mainly negative experiences with the recent ones. This suggests that recovering the previous stability may need to be prioritized as much as the struggle for greater compatibility, perhaps more in the short term.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » September 18th, 2019, 6:31 am

We haven't even stopped working on PSIO. That's just a stab in the back right there and something really low to do. Would be wiser to not support the cloners and actually just wait for us to fix the games that have problems.

So don't worry, we have heard you. The games will get fixed soon. Just be patient because all of this repetitiveness is just stressing us out.

krisk77

Post by krisk77 » September 18th, 2019, 7:13 am

People saying that, if true about clones is just ignorant and won't speed up the process of new updates and is just like spitting your dummy out because you can't have it your way. Same goes for others saying they won't buy the product because it doesn't have what they want. Nobody is forcing anyone to buy it and if don't like it then don't buy and do something else.

Buying a clone will fk up the chance of having any support at all and will be left in the dark on outdated fw. And lets face it, the previous updates on legit units were not exactly perfect either, so to want to buy a clone because of older fw is another lame excuse.

The whole situation lately here has become a backstabbing mess on certain users too, since these last few updates were still broken and those involved don't have a first clue of what their talking about either. At moment, everyone must chill and just let Matt and that sort this out. Go and do something else, play and exploit other systems or something, as it has become toxic here.
Last edited by krisk77 on September 18th, 2019, 7:27 am, edited 4 times in total.

Tobiasrieper

Post by Tobiasrieper » September 18th, 2019, 7:15 am

Matt wrote:
September 18th, 2019, 6:31 am
We haven't even stopped working on PSIO. That's just a stab in the back right there and something really low to do. Would be wiser to not support the cloners and actually just wait for us to fix the games that have problems.

So don't worry, we have heard you. The games will get fixed soon. Just be patient because all of this repetitiveness is just stressing us out.
I know you'll guys fix it at some point. Without you dudes we wouldn't even have this amazing technology. It rules man, I'm so stoked just to have the thing in my hands. PS1 probably my favourite console ever and just to be able to enjoy it knowing that it's lifespan has been increased for years to come. It's a wonderful thing. I got so many games that I want to finish! We can all wait patiently. The loading times are far better with this release. :D Take you're time , figure it out and hit us up on the official news channel when things are ready :)

MateriaMind
I am a: Nurse
PlayStation Model: SCPH-5501

Post by MateriaMind » September 18th, 2019, 7:46 am

I'd rather buy a PlayStation Classic than a damn clone :lol:
"What is a man?!? A miserable little pile of secrets!"

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » September 18th, 2019, 8:10 am

fernan1234 wrote:
September 18th, 2019, 6:04 am
BTW, I've heard of two different legit PSIO users who are considering buying a spare PSIO clone simply because those ship with earlier firmwares, as they've had mainly negative experiences with the recent ones.
That is mental. First of all, the old firmware has a ton of its own issues and the overall compatibility is even lower. Secondly, PSIO is the only flash cart for PS1 on the market and it will stay like that for a long time. Backstabbing its developers because of a few software issues is so low that those people simply show how selfish and short-sighted they are.
Last edited by Takehaniyasubiko on September 18th, 2019, 8:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, an afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four, five times more, perhaps not even that.
― Paul Bowles

Tobiasrieper

Post by Tobiasrieper » September 18th, 2019, 8:42 am

Especially when said developers are working their ass's off to get us new bug fixes. They actually give a crap about their customers. Rare thing these days.

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » September 18th, 2019, 8:45 am

I'd recommend ditching the current Blazing Dragons fix and going back to the pre-weekend state of V2.6.9 because the performance on that one was great in most games. Then, a series of diagnostics should be performed on the problematic games. Why FF7 corrupts most of VRAM? Why GT2 corrupts a tiny fragment of VRAM? Why Blazing Dragons has a problem playing that big XA file with speech? Once this is properly diagnosed, fixing might become more precise. It's clear that messing around with the CD access timings is counterproductive at this point. It really seemed like the measurements taken with a retail disc of Resident Evil 2 PAL gave the most accurate results so far.
― Paul Bowles

Mitchell2.0
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by Mitchell2.0 » September 18th, 2019, 9:13 am

Since the last thread was deleted before I got a chance to see if my post was replied to, I'll repeat:

I think it would be great if you could allow firmware downgrades within at least the same minor version. While I'm not about to go and buy a clone or anything I do think that potentially leaving the people who are testing the new firmwares with cartridges that are unable to play games that they were before is not right.
I've chosen simply to not update. Both of my consoles have dead lasers and I can't risk it, which means I'm not able to test any of the games I've had issues with on the new versions

wanderer
I am a: wanderer
PlayStation Model: scph-1002

Post by wanderer » September 18th, 2019, 9:27 am

I think this cycle of firmware release followed by user complaints can't go on like that. What Matt and Yuri need to do is work with a small group of beta testers and not release a firmware with changes in regard of the CD-ROM emulation until they've made sure with the beta testers that they've effectively improved the CD-ROM emulation/fixed games. Matt and Yuri should look into a way to separate their source code into two branchs : one for the changes made to the CD-ROM emulation and one for the changes to the menu/features.

I'm in favor of such an approach even if it means we don't get a new firmware so often. Ever since the 2.6.6 firmware there's been a couple of new firmwares that followed rather quickly to try and fix what had been broken. If Matt, Yuri and couple of beta testers would have kept 2.6.6 under the lid it would have come to maturity by now or even after a month of beta testing. I know I've already said all the above some time ago but I can't think of a better way to better manage the firmware releases.

Basically my point is :
•Not to release a new firmware with embedded changes made in regard of the CD-ROM emulation in a new firmware until these are checked with the beta testers and they've confirmed things are okay
•To release a new firmware with embedded changes made in regard of the menu/features whenever they happen

NRGDEAD
I am a: Noob

Post by NRGDEAD » September 18th, 2019, 9:30 am

Not sure if this can be implemented retroactively. Another problem are clones; being able to downgrade might enable exploits to circumvent the DRM. But from a legit user's perspective, it would indeed be nice in case of compatibility issues, I agree.
Cue2cu2: A Python script for creating CU2 sheets via the command line on Linux/Mac/Windows.
GitHub / Forum

PSIO wallpaper template in Photoshop format.

Mitchell2.0
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by Mitchell2.0 » September 18th, 2019, 9:42 am

NRGDEAD wrote:
September 18th, 2019, 9:30 am
Another problem are clones; being able to downgrade might enable exploits to circumvent the DRM
I don't see this being an issue as long as it is restricted a little, so if for example 2.6.x could go to a minimum 2.6.0, and 2.6.0 would not be downgradable.
If any improvements are made to the protection in the firmware, just bump the minor version and it will not be able to be downgraded to a less secure version