Official PSIO News and Development Thread

Official Development, Research, Bug Fixes and Progress directly from Cybdyn Systems
Forum rules
This section is for development news, research, bug fixes, progress, changes and information in regards to PSIO directly posted from Cybdyn Systems. Do not post any questions here relating to your order as they will be deleted. Instead, please go back and create a new post in the "Help and Support" forum. Thanks.
NRGDEAD
/// CYBDYN SYSTEMS ELITE ///
I am a: Noob
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1002

Re: Official PSIO News and Development Thread

Post by NRGDEAD » January 5th, 2019, 8:42 am

No, you can boot to the BIOS by removing the SD card. PSIO will ask you to "put in an SD card or press Select to boot to the BIOS".

fernan1234
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by fernan1234 » January 5th, 2019, 2:22 pm

NRGDEAD wrote:
January 5th, 2019, 8:42 am
No, you can boot to the BIOS by removing the SD card. PSIO will ask you to "put in an SD card or press Select to boot to the BIOS".
Thanks for the tip. This does work by having the SD card out on boot. It's much better than having to remove the PSIO.

Greg2600
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by Greg2600 » January 7th, 2019, 6:54 am

So what's the latest on the "High Fragmentation" error? Updated my PSIO for the first time in like 2 years, and some games don't run, such as Crash Bandicoot 2.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
I am a: Systems Designer
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502

Post by Matt » January 8th, 2019, 4:57 pm

Greg2600 wrote:
January 7th, 2019, 6:54 am
So what's the latest on the "High Fragmentation" error? Updated my PSIO for the first time in like 2 years, and some games don't run, such as Crash Bandicoot 2.
That means your SD Card is fragmented badly and it's corrupted.

NRGDEAD
I am a: Noob
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1002

Post by NRGDEAD » January 8th, 2019, 6:10 pm

It should be easily fixable by backing up everything on it, format it, then copy everything back again.

MateriaMind
I am a: Nurse
PlayStation Model: SCPH-5501

Post by MateriaMind » February 9th, 2019, 8:50 pm

Still better than replacing a laser!!!
"What is a man?!? A miserable little pile of secrets!"

Dig_dug_93

Post by Dig_dug_93 » February 19th, 2019, 4:43 pm

You guys are getting some huge coverage in the community now.

https://youtu.be/fD8___jsiqs

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » February 20th, 2019, 4:44 pm

My Life in Gaming's review was amazing. He did a fantastic job with it. I had no idea 'Driver' was locking up again though so we'll be sure to get that sorted again.

So, what has been new recently? Well, we have a new firmware update in the works but when it will be released, we're not too sure yet. I've been flat out with assembling cartridges and trying to catch up on emails and customer support on Facebook, Twitter and of course these forums.

We're still here though and working hard :flag

DarwinAwardWinner
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by DarwinAwardWinner » February 20th, 2019, 5:47 pm

Hey everyone. I checked the manual, the FAQ, and looked through every YouTube video I could find but I couldn't find out if the PSIO had an option to read the data at the same speed as the Playstation's CD-Rom drive. This is super important - allow me to explain why:

I'm a speed runner. I play games to get the best possible completion times in either 100% or Any% depending on what I'm playing. A speed runner usually starts his run at the beginning of a game - whether it's on a Start press, or a level load, etc. - and the timer typically clocks your progress until you stop it at the last possible action.

There are a lot of us. The majority of people playing older games like this on Twitch and YouTube are people who are speed running these games! :o

The problem, however, is that the PSIO has been shown to load games faster than a normal - which would disqualify any one of us who are trying to do a viable run on original hardware with the PSIO.

It's entirely possible that I just missed it while watching all those YouTube videos, but as far as I can tell, the option to force PSIO games to load at the same speed as the disc drive just isn't there. Now going through the search feature on these forums I see that the "lock SD to disc speed" option was tossed around a bit, but I have no confirmation that it actually made it into the devices firmware. Does the option exist and I just completely missed it?

Or is it not there.. and if not - can you save the speed runners by implementing it?

Thank you very much for your time. :flag

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » February 20th, 2019, 7:46 pm

It reads the data at the original CD-ROM speed, but it's a bit quicker because of no laser head or seek delays. It can be used in competition gaming but each user will need their own PSIO Cartridge. Also ensure both are running the exact same firmwares and region of the game.

Honestly, if you speed run from a CD-ROM, it's going to alter because it's analog media converted into digital. Sometimes it will skip or re-seek and other times it will not. PSIO is purely digital which means it never does that but it means if you're going to compete with PSIO, other people need one too.

DarwinAwardWinner
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by DarwinAwardWinner » February 20th, 2019, 8:37 pm

No.. I think there's a misunderstanding.

Without the ability to emulate laser head and seek delays, none of us can use the PSIO.

Competition gaming has never, and will never rely on everyone who touches a game running the same mod chip. Ever. Nor are these "competitions" Street Fighter tournaments - you have to understand that I'm trying to help you and the community both; If the PSIO can't match the load times of the original PS1, then we cannot use the device.

Over the past decade, speedrunners have made it a tradition to hold charity events that have grown so large and draws so many viewers that we've consecutively raised over a million dollars twice each year six years in a row, - and over 2 million dollars, twice each year - just in the last four.

That's how many of us there are.

And if the PSIO can't emulate these laser head and seek delays - none of us can buy one.

It might seem simple on paper, but I assure you it's much more than it appears; using the cart would make everything they've worked for invalid, these people are not going to swap back and forth, no cartridge/back to cartridge, removing the disc/inserting the disc every time they do a run. And the only reason I'm here is because I can see this problem coming a mile away and want to look out for you both. I want to see your product succeed. And who knows? Maybe it will, but it won't be through them - because right now those millions of people are lost without this feature. And believe it or not I was prepared to purchase one of these things tonight, but if my PSIO loads Crash Bandicoot three seconds faster than a regular Playstation does, my run would be disqualified - and rightfully so - thanks to the PSIO.

Our entire community, all over the globe *relies* on accuracy because we know that without it, our runs mean nothing. Infact, when the NES Mini came out the majority decided that despite it being an official Nintendo product, it wasn't viable to use in speedruns for many reasons - one of which was that it would, "cut a frame from being rendered resulting in a shorter overall time.."

..How, do you figure if millions of people all over the world collectively concluded that a single frame getting cut out of a console made the *entire platform non-viable* that those same people would accept 20 minutes being cut off their times because "Tomb Raider" loaded each level 5 seconds faster than the original?

We beg of you. Please look into finding a way to emulate these laser head and seek delays. For the millions of speedrunners who post these games on YouTube, and likewise, all the people who speed run them live on Twitch - we cannot buy your device until it emulates these load times.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » February 21st, 2019, 12:35 am

The thing is, even if we spent the next several weeks adding in perfect CD-ROM delays to emulate the original disc seeks and rotational spin-ups and spin-downs, how on earth do we know which laser to base the timings on. How do we know what the official Sony Computer Entertainment timings for the CD-ROM access was, and who is to say that your console and the console your competitor has official timings that are "in spec" with your speed run qualifications. It doesn't make any sense. Every laser is different. Each timing will always be different. PSIO is actually emulating the original timings perfectly, but the reason it is quicker is because of the lack of analog moving parts (there are no seek delays or spin-ups or spin-downs, etc).

Now I honestly don't see this causing any problems in regards to sales for us because people want their games to load quicker and that was the idea behind PSIO in the first place, but tell you what. I'm open minded and optimistic and I understand where you're coming from here so I have a brand new PSone in the box. I will open it up and I will manually time each CD-ROM command including the spin-ups, spin-downs, etc from a brand new game disc and we will add this feature for you. This is the closest thing I think that will then simulate what you're asking for. However, don't expect it immediately. This isn't priority for us.

PS: I'll speed run you in Crash Bandicoot and beat you any day PSIO or no PSIO 8-)

DarwinAwardWinner
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by DarwinAwardWinner » February 21st, 2019, 4:57 am

THANK YOU!! :D

That's great news. What you suggested should be perfectly fine, even if the seek values are borderline random it's OK! so long as the end result is (overall) the same thing.

Every piece of the PS1 hardware is based off an equation - the people who designed the CD-ROM component knew that each time the laser moved, it had to read X sector of Y disc at a certain time or the mechanism wouldn't be deemed reliable - that the head had to go from position A to position B by a certain point or the inconsistencies would create so many problems that the same game running on two different machines could be completely broken on one system yet run fine on the other; audio and graphics data would miss initialization cues, memory addresses that needed to be cleared might not zero out in time, character models and other meshes might load out of bounds, etc.. all dependent on how the game was coded and whether or not the seek times were within that margin of error.

Compare two different systems. Ask the emulation devs. All of it's based off of an equation - so the method you suggested actually should fix the problem because now you've created a situation where one person's PS1 reading a "disc" 1ms faster than another's may seek data 1ms slower the next time allowing the other system to catch up, and vice versa; balancing out the problem which now makes it -OK- so long as the time dropped/gained is low enough and consistent.

Old capacitors, weak vs strong drive heads, sure those problems will create a few milliseconds of difference. But they are (normally) so insignificant that the results all fall within that acceptable margin of error. Your suggested resolution should put the PSIO within that same margin - but there is zero chance that people's runs will be accepted if two players do the exact same thing in Intelligent Qube only one person's time ends up 30 minutes shorter because they used a PSIO. Know what I mean?

When we finally cracked the encryption and started emulating CPS2 hardware, Raz would stick an arcade board with a CRT next to his PC running MAME and go back and forth adjusting the MAME timings until when he started both games at the same time they didn't desync - going back and forth every so often until both systems ended up in the same place. This put MAME's emulation within that margin of error so closely that Capcom themselves licensed part of the code for their rerelease compilations a few years later - that's how important accuracy is. You have an opportunity to do the same thing, and I couldn't begin to stress how badly we need it - even if the seek times are simulated - if I stick a PSIO-enabled Playstation next to one running a CD, so long as Lara Croft ends up at the same place, at the same time within a few milliseconds of difference it becomes acceptable now, because it levels the playing field, is within the margin of error and is infinitely better than having 3 seconds at a time shaved off of each level load every time you play Bubsy :P

Thank you so much for looking into this. :D It would mean the world to us, and the moment this feature is added the entire emulation/speed run community can jump all over it and use the PSIO to their hearts content. Hell I'll be the first one to recommend it :clap and I'm not gonna lie I won't even pretend I'm good at Crash Bandicoot you probably would whup my ass :shrug lmao

fernan1234
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by fernan1234 » February 22nd, 2019, 12:18 pm

The upcoming ODE for the Saturn called Satiator is expected to have the option to switch between same speed as laser assembly CD image reading speed (default for better compatibility) and "fast" reading speed (which in the case of the Saturn can cause problems in some games).

As long as this is implemented as a selectable option it should be a win-win for everyone. It may even benefit non-speed running users as well who play games that do weird things with disc read timings.

vitaflo
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by vitaflo » February 22nd, 2019, 2:14 pm

The speed running argument is a little silly because almost all PS1 games can (and are) speed run on PS2's because they have faster loading times, and this is perfectly acceptable for PS1 speed runs. Simulating seek and read times in PSIO wouldn't mean much, people will still use SCPH-9000x PS2's because they're the fastest at loading PS1 games.

evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero » February 22nd, 2019, 11:59 pm

I certainly don't want the loading to be the "same". lol... If it's added, make it "on/off". I MUCH prefer the quicker loading. I'm sure 99 percent of people do.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » February 23rd, 2019, 2:45 am

Don't worry, we'll definitely add a toggle for it in the Menu System options screen, and by default it will be 'off'.

Greg2600
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by Greg2600 » February 25th, 2019, 2:39 pm

So I was still getting the "High Fragmentation" error on Crash Bandicoot 2. I formatted the SD Card so it's not fragmented, even tried another one. This was not a problem prior to updating menu/firmware recently. I wound up downloading a different dump, and it now worked.

However, I tried Spyro 3 Year of the Dragon, and got the error there now. I tried both the V1.1 and V1.0 dumps, same error. Then I deleted the cover BMP and the game ran. So there's something I guess up with the images, where it's giving that error. In the Spyro case, I simply shortened the file name a bit and it worked.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » February 25th, 2019, 9:42 pm

Greg2600 wrote:
February 25th, 2019, 2:39 pm
So I was still getting the "High Fragmentation" error on Crash Bandicoot 2. I formatted the SD Card so it's not fragmented, even tried another one. This was not a problem prior to updating menu/firmware recently. I wound up downloading a different dump, and it now worked.

However, I tried Spyro 3 Year of the Dragon, and got the error there now. I tried both the V1.1 and V1.0 dumps, same error. Then I deleted the cover BMP and the game ran. So there's something I guess up with the images, where it's giving that error. In the Spyro case, I simply shortened the file name a bit and it worked.
That's a bit strange. Never seen that happen before. Could be a cluster size issue maybe.

Greg2600
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by Greg2600 » February 27th, 2019, 7:55 am

One query I had, seems PSIO is taking a lot longer to "Initialise" and then load (progress bar). I'm having to wait what feels like an eternity after holding reset, to return to the menu. I don't even have that many games on this SD card.