PSIO Development Discussion Thread

Official Development, Research and Progress directly from Cybdyn Systems
Forum rules
This section is for development news, research, bug fixes, progress, changes and information in regards to PSIO directly posted from Cybdyn Systems. Do not post any questions here relating to your order as they will be deleted. Instead, please go back and create a new post in the "Help and Support" forum. Thanks.
User avatar
Takehaniyasubiko
/// CYBDYN SYSTEMS ELITE ///
/// CYBDYN SYSTEMS ELITE ///
Posts: 3739
Joined: March 13th, 2018, 5:04 am
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1002
Has thanked: 116 times
Been thanked: 88 times

Re: PSIO Development Discussion Thread

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » June 23rd, 2022, 6:45 pm

I don't remember buying a ticket to a comedy show when I ordered my PSIO.

I propose we all stop replying here until the promised messiah update is actually materialized. I mean, IF it comes. Pitchforks are still an option with the way things are looking. After all, damn JULY is nearing its end.
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, an afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four, five times more, perhaps not even that."
- Paul Bowles

User avatar
Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Posts: 4698
Joined: December 31st, 2012, 5:37 pm
I am a: Systems Designer
PlayStation Model: H2700/5502
Location: Australia
Has thanked: 57 times
Been thanked: 189 times
Contact:

Re: PSIO Development Discussion Thread

Post by Matt » June 23rd, 2022, 8:13 pm

Takehaniyasubiko wrote: June 23rd, 2022, 6:45 pm I don't remember buying a ticket to a comedy show when I ordered my PSIO
Image
Attachments
6klfs3.jpg
(53.21 KiB) Not downloaded yet

User avatar
Takehaniyasubiko
/// CYBDYN SYSTEMS ELITE ///
/// CYBDYN SYSTEMS ELITE ///
Posts: 3739
Joined: March 13th, 2018, 5:04 am
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1002
Has thanked: 116 times
Been thanked: 88 times

Re: PSIO Development Discussion Thread

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » June 23rd, 2022, 8:37 pm

Pretty damn sure I had ordered a flash cart for PS1 promised to play 99.9% of PS1 games exactly like the CD-ROM would.
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, an afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four, five times more, perhaps not even that."
- Paul Bowles

Xplo1t_DRM
Member
Member
Posts: 13
Joined: October 10th, 2021, 5:28 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: PSIO Development Discussion Thread

Post by Xplo1t_DRM » June 23rd, 2022, 9:06 pm

Plot twist Cybdyn are actually the Australian Gateway/Team Xecutor that didn't get FBI busted and have been trolling a update all this time and you get nothing :lol:

Image
Attachments
you-get-nothing.jpg
(53.77 KiB) Not downloaded yet

User avatar
Takehaniyasubiko
/// CYBDYN SYSTEMS ELITE ///
/// CYBDYN SYSTEMS ELITE ///
Posts: 3739
Joined: March 13th, 2018, 5:04 am
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1002
Has thanked: 116 times
Been thanked: 88 times

Re: PSIO Development Discussion Thread

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » June 23rd, 2022, 10:56 pm

Image
Attachments
spongebob-squarepants.gif
(1021.21 KiB) Not downloaded yet
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, an afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four, five times more, perhaps not even that."
- Paul Bowles

User avatar
flynnz
Member
Member
Posts: 33
Joined: May 15th, 2019, 1:49 pm
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: PSIO Development Discussion Thread

Post by flynnz » June 24th, 2022, 12:26 pm

Takehaniyasubiko wrote: June 23rd, 2022, 6:45 pm I propose we all stop replying here until the promised messiah update is actually materialized. I mean, IF it comes. Pitchforks are still an option with the way things are looking. After all, damn JULY is nearing its end.
Well, what if our constant whining is actually working? Like instead of it coming in 6 months from now, it will only take 3 more!

Plus now that the Heard/Depp trial is over, I really don't have much else to do

User avatar
kikujade
Lives in the Cybdyn Systems Server
Lives in the Cybdyn Systems Server
Posts: 216
Joined: June 27th, 2015, 1:05 am

Re: PSIO Development Discussion Thread

Post by kikujade » June 24th, 2022, 3:11 pm

@matt its getting more and more embarrassing to check this thread from time to time and seeing all of this childish bickering. how about locking this thread for 6 months or until the next fw upgrade, whichever happens first? that will give dissenters a chance to re evaluate their lives and maybe play games.

consider giving take whatever a break too, for however long you can.

tclive
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Posts: 63
Joined: March 30th, 2019, 4:35 am
PlayStation Model: SCPH-7001
Location: UK
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: PSIO Development Discussion Thread

Post by tclive » June 24th, 2022, 6:34 pm

Matt wrote: June 23rd, 2022, 12:13 pm
tclive wrote: Matt, I'm sure you mean well and perhaps it's just intended as humour, but it doesn't translate well digitally at times. Personally I would tolerate the delay if the comms were on point. I'm a working adult and I have a life and it doesn't revolve around playing my PS1. However stuff like this really doesn't do you any favours. The two situations aren't even remotely comparable and I think you know that. The choice to pursue arguably futile DRM updates at the expense of existing paying customers is your decision and none of us can change that, but seriously consider getting somebody else to manage the PR for you and concentrate on development. The way some of your comments have come across over the past year or so - if I took the same attitude towards my clients I'd lose my job. I like this product and I want you to succeed. I also think you mean well. But burning bridges with paying customers is never a good approach.

So much time has passed now people do need to see progress, but please don't commit to another date unless you're confident it'll actually be accurate this time.
Image
I don't think you actually read what I said. But way to drive my point home further. You're incapable of listening to user feedback and your attitude stinks. Nothing about this situation is funny anymore. Read the room.
SCPH-7001 - PSIO - RetroTINK-5X Pro - Otaku 6 Port RGB Scart Switch

User avatar
Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Posts: 4698
Joined: December 31st, 2012, 5:37 pm
I am a: Systems Designer
PlayStation Model: H2700/5502
Location: Australia
Has thanked: 57 times
Been thanked: 189 times
Contact:

Re: PSIO Development Discussion Thread

Post by Matt » June 24th, 2022, 7:33 pm

I read all comments and listen to feedback. Thanks for your input and apologies if you're somewhat angry about the lack of an update. Nothing much else I can do as I can't work any harder than I already am.

User avatar
Takehaniyasubiko
/// CYBDYN SYSTEMS ELITE ///
/// CYBDYN SYSTEMS ELITE ///
Posts: 3739
Joined: March 13th, 2018, 5:04 am
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1002
Has thanked: 116 times
Been thanked: 88 times

Re: PSIO Development Discussion Thread

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » June 24th, 2022, 8:33 pm

Matt wrote: June 24th, 2022, 7:33 pmNothing much else I can do as I can't work any harder than I already am.
You have to excuse us, the angry mob with pitchforks, since we haven't seen a shred of your work since December 2020. To us, it seems like you're not doing anything for the paying customers, especially since people like Rama can single-handedly fix hundreds of issues within one year, even when their firmware is open-source.
Last edited by Takehaniyasubiko on June 24th, 2022, 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, an afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four, five times more, perhaps not even that."
- Paul Bowles

User avatar
Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Posts: 4698
Joined: December 31st, 2012, 5:37 pm
I am a: Systems Designer
PlayStation Model: H2700/5502
Location: Australia
Has thanked: 57 times
Been thanked: 189 times
Contact:

Re: PSIO Development Discussion Thread

Post by Matt » June 24th, 2022, 9:55 pm

Takehaniyasubiko wrote: June 24th, 2022, 8:33 pm
Matt wrote: June 24th, 2022, 7:33 pmNothing much else I can do as I can't work any harder than I already am.
Rama can single-handedly fix hundreds of issues within one year, even when their firmware is open-source.
I've already explained, it's a completely different device. You can't compare the two.

User avatar
daneeall
Seriously Active at Cybdyn Systems
Seriously Active at Cybdyn Systems
Posts: 108
Joined: March 5th, 2020, 8:27 pm
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: PSIO Development Discussion Thread

Post by daneeall » June 24th, 2022, 10:14 pm

Matt wrote: June 24th, 2022, 7:33 pm Nothing much else I can do as I can't work any harder than I already am.
Oh yeah, I bet it is a lot of people here left who still believe in that hard work.
It is very likely that you have to provide a full refund service for rejected units. And payback an extra fee to compensate unavoidable motherboard damage due to switchboard installation - of course if you wish to keep the remnants of your reputation.

User avatar
Takehaniyasubiko
/// CYBDYN SYSTEMS ELITE ///
/// CYBDYN SYSTEMS ELITE ///
Posts: 3739
Joined: March 13th, 2018, 5:04 am
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1002
Has thanked: 116 times
Been thanked: 88 times

Re: PSIO Development Discussion Thread

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » June 24th, 2022, 11:58 pm

Different devices or not, Rama faced many of the same issues with game compatibility, like FMVs in Gex crapping out or freezes in certain games due to bad seek timings. He fixed all of that because he had an obligation to the customers, not because he wanted to spend a year doing it or because it was so easy that a child could do it.
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, an afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four, five times more, perhaps not even that."
- Paul Bowles

User avatar
flynnz
Member
Member
Posts: 33
Joined: May 15th, 2019, 1:49 pm
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: PSIO Development Discussion Thread

Post by flynnz » June 25th, 2022, 3:52 am

I am going to play devil's advocate and say that I am sure Matt is working his ass off (regardless if we agree that the focus on DRM is not ideal, none of us know exactly how much and what he is working on behind the scenes). Because it is hard for me to believe that if these issues were quick or easy for Matt, they wouldn't be addressed.

I am also going to assume, that Matt deals with a lot more customer service communication than we can see on this forum. So it is possible that he doesn't see people having that many issues of random crashes or incompatibility "in the wild" compared to what is on this forum? For example, if his total negative feedback is coming from less than 1% of his user base, that could explain why he wouldn't feel AS pressured to focus on getting the device functioning better sooner and take the time to focus on DRM instead.

Of course, I still understand why people are frustrated on this forum, (mostly because of the DRM focus and missing his own set release date over and over.) But I just wanted to take a step back and contemplate other possibilities/perspectives. And again, I am just damn bored :P

TL:DR
Could be some behind the scenes things we don't know about causing issues beyond Matt just being "tone deaf".

User avatar
Takehaniyasubiko
/// CYBDYN SYSTEMS ELITE ///
/// CYBDYN SYSTEMS ELITE ///
Posts: 3739
Joined: March 13th, 2018, 5:04 am
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1002
Has thanked: 116 times
Been thanked: 88 times

Re: PSIO Development Discussion Thread

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » June 25th, 2022, 4:03 am

flynnz wrote: June 25th, 2022, 3:52 amSo it is possible that he doesn't see people having that many issues of random crashes or incompatibility "in the wild" compared to what is on this forum?
Nope.

CybDyn cherry-picks what it wants to work on. This is an attitude good for a garage programmer using his own funds for a pet project, not for a world-known product with a specific marketing angle which says it's going to allow you to play 99.9% PS1 games just like from the original CD-ROM. The freezing problems are obvious and nothing was done about them for a very long time now. This is not normal. It just doesn't work like that. You can't tell people they are buying one thing, and then send them a different thing.

CybDyn be like, Hey, you can't play one of the 99.9% PS1 games we promised you could play? Tough luck, that's how it is on this bitch of an earth. Face God and walk backwards into hell if you don't like it.

That's pure bullshit. We are not here to beg for what we had bought.
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, an afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four, five times more, perhaps not even that."
- Paul Bowles

User avatar
Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Posts: 4698
Joined: December 31st, 2012, 5:37 pm
I am a: Systems Designer
PlayStation Model: H2700/5502
Location: Australia
Has thanked: 57 times
Been thanked: 189 times
Contact:

Re: PSIO Development Discussion Thread

Post by Matt » June 25th, 2022, 4:14 am

flynnz is someone who gets it :)

User avatar
Takehaniyasubiko
/// CYBDYN SYSTEMS ELITE ///
/// CYBDYN SYSTEMS ELITE ///
Posts: 3739
Joined: March 13th, 2018, 5:04 am
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1002
Has thanked: 116 times
Been thanked: 88 times

Re: PSIO Development Discussion Thread

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » June 25th, 2022, 4:43 am

Somewhere there's an alternate reality where Rama is given the PSIO code and fixes its game compatibility problems within a month via a firmware update. :)
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, an afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four, five times more, perhaps not even that."
- Paul Bowles

tclive
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Posts: 63
Joined: March 30th, 2019, 4:35 am
PlayStation Model: SCPH-7001
Location: UK
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: PSIO Development Discussion Thread

Post by tclive » June 25th, 2022, 5:28 am

Matt wrote: June 24th, 2022, 7:33 pm I read all comments and listen to feedback. Thanks for your input and apologies if you're somewhat angry about the lack of an update. Nothing much else I can do as I can't work any harder than I already am.
Not suggesting you aren't working hard. I'm sure it's a lot of work for one or two individuals. I think you're spending time working hard on the wrong things (DRM) but again that's your call.

Personally I would tolerate the delay if the comms were on point. - Boils down to this for me.

You say you listen to all feedback, and I'm glad you've taken on board the criticism re. reselling units for the next update. But as a general rule your actions over the years would suggest otherwise, frankly.

Of course you're going to agree with Flynnz' post playing devil's advocate, because it's what you want to hear. What you probably don't want to hear is that you misled buyers with this product claiming YEARS ago 99.91% compatibility when that isn't the case. You're still claiming it now. The Jira link isn't up to date. Yes I take issue with this and clearly so do others. I've been extraordinarily patient as have many, and to reiterate, time isn't my primary objection (though it is getting a little ridiculous now I have to say). The market has moved on so much in that time.

You seem obsessed with the DRM element (presume this is still the cause for the delay?) and nothing anyone says seems to change that, so I'm not going to go over old ground again.

I don't think it's harsh to expect what you paid good money for over 3 years ago to work as advertised. I actually posted this back in April 2020:

Perspective. Give the man a break. There's quite enough going on across the globe right now and the vast majority of the PSIO library functions fine.

Problem is, that was over 2 years ago and we're barely any further along. That lends perspective in itself.
SCPH-7001 - PSIO - RetroTINK-5X Pro - Otaku 6 Port RGB Scart Switch

User avatar
Squaresoft74
Member
Member
Posts: 20
Joined: January 7th, 2016, 2:55 am
PlayStation Model: SCPH-7502
Location: France
Contact:

Re: PSIO Development Discussion Thread

Post by Squaresoft74 » June 25th, 2022, 6:32 am

Quick and simple question from a buyer who didn't even picked this device for playing games in the first place:
When will my PSIO actually do what's being claimed on the box itself at all ?
Image

I've pre-ordered mine by 21/06/2017 and got delivered July 2018, so almost 4 years ago !.
It still can't even replace my dedicated LPT machine + Xplorer (flashed with nocash bios) to just quickly upload/boot EXE.

I hardly post or even usually complain but seriously, how much longer will i still have to wait before getting what i initially paid for ? :?
Attachments
psio-showcase.jpg
(15.43 KiB) Not downloaded yet

BahamutBBob
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Posts: 42
Joined: June 27th, 2021, 2:00 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 13 times

Re: PSIO Development Discussion Thread

Post by BahamutBBob » June 25th, 2022, 8:54 am

There are supposed to be revamped developer tools with the update, whenever we finally get the update.

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest