[Menu System V2.6.12] Bug Reports

Official Development, Research, Bug Fixes and Progress directly from Cybdyn Systems
Forum rules
This section is for development news, research, bug fixes, progress, changes and information in regards to PSIO directly posted from Cybdyn Systems. Do not post any questions here relating to your order as they will be deleted. Instead, please go back and create a new post in the "Help and Support" forum. Thanks.
James-F
/// CYBDYN SYSTEMS ELITE ///

Re: [Menu System V2.6.12] Bug Reports

Post by James-F » March 26th, 2020, 2:34 am

And of course this:
* Resident Evil 2 - SD card read issue (partial cause found).
viewtopic.php?p=26208#p26208
viewtopic.php?f=72&t=3217
The work-around using the search function completely solves this issue, which means it is not a SD card read/speed issue but some kind of file system bug similar to the "Having XX items in total on the SD Card".
SCPH-7000 (x2), SCPH-7501, SCPH-101, SCPH-102

Takehaniyasubiko
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1002

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » March 26th, 2020, 2:57 am

James-F wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 2:34 am
The work-around using the search function completely solves this issue, which means it is not a SD card read/speed issue but some kind of file system bug similar to the "Having XX items in total on the SD Card".
Remember that Cyke 12 had the game freeze on him randomly on top of not booting with K1V4 until he changed his SD card. Would a Menu System file arrangement bug affect load times in a game after it's already booted? Perhaps your workaround only applies to some micro-timing issue on boot? It needs to be checked if it stops the game from randomly freezing during a full playthrough.
Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, an afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four, five times more, perhaps not even that.
― Paul Bowles

James-F

Post by James-F » March 26th, 2020, 3:19 am

The ARM/Linux file system is running in the background non stop, in game, in menu, all the time.
The freezing during gameplay or during boot, can be separate issues or the same issue,, we don't know and can't possibly know.
We do know that it is the same game though, Resident Evil 2,, and that's a big clue.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
I am a: Systems Designer
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502

Post by Matt » March 26th, 2020, 3:30 am

PSIO doesn't run Linux. It's our own proprietary system fully written from scratch from the ground up.
:null:
Takehaniyasubiko wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 1:43 am
To recapitulate, we're currently left with:

- extremely minor frame pacing issues in some games (like Road Rash '95 and FF7);
- stereo flip issue;
- CDDA audio tracks need to start earlier by 15ms.

Is this correct, Matt?
Pretty much. We've been working on them and progress is coming along well :)

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » March 26th, 2020, 3:41 am

Based on Cyke12's tests, I think it's an SD card issue and the workaround found by James changes the micro-timing (for example, by stressing the CPU via the search function) on boot. I doubt it would extend to how the game works after it's booted. This needs further testing. Somebody with this Resident Evil 2 issue should simply use the K1V4 booting workaround and then test the game by completing it fully at least once per disc to confirm it doesn't freeze randomly.

What we do know for sure right now is that it worked perfectly for Cyke 12 after he changed his SD card.
Matt wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 3:30 am
Pretty much. We've been working on them and progress is coming along well :)
That's music to my ears. PS1 became my favourite home console thanks to PSIO and if those remaining issues are fixed, it will be the ultimate PS1 experience.
Last edited by Takehaniyasubiko on March 26th, 2020, 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, an afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four, five times more, perhaps not even that.
― Paul Bowles

James-F

Post by James-F » March 26th, 2020, 5:31 am

Matt wrote:
PSIO doesn't run Linux.
That was the least important part of my post...
Anyway, the bug was thoroughly reported and hopefully acknowledged, I did my part to help.

Drunk_Caterpillar

Post by Drunk_Caterpillar » March 26th, 2020, 8:32 am

James-F wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 5:31 am
Matt wrote:
PSIO doesn't run Linux.
That was the least important part of my post...
If I'd written something like this from the ground up I'd probably think it was pretty important. ;)

rworne

Post by rworne » March 27th, 2020, 1:37 am

James-F wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 2:34 am
Regarding switching SD cards - is it possible fragmentation is the issue? Is there a significant difference in the fragmentation in the old vs. new SD card? I know seek times are irrelevant, but something has to keep track of the filesystem. Is the PSIO using a filesystem library, or did they roll their own?

I'm just putting this out there because a "new" card works better - this is one of the factors a new card would take care of.

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » March 27th, 2020, 1:40 am

rworne wrote:
March 27th, 2020, 1:37 am
I'm just putting this out there because a "new" card works better - this is one of the factors a new card would take care of.
Fragmentation doesn't seem to be the case because CRDRC did a full format several times with different clusters and it didn't change a thing. It might be about the bus speed, though. I wouldn't go above UHS-I with PSIO, and even then it might depend whether it's SDR50 or DDR50.
― Paul Bowles

James-F

Post by James-F » March 27th, 2020, 2:07 am

This SD card issue is not random like fragmentation or anything speed related.
The way PSIO accesses the files and the content of the sd card is the case most likely in that particular problem.

How can it possibly be related to the SD card itself, if a small 'trick' in the menu system fixes the issue?
If the SD card is faulty in any way, no 'trick' should fix anything.
Also, this trick fixed the issue for two different people with two different SD cards,, the only thing in common was the PISO firmware.
Last edited by James-F on March 27th, 2020, 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » March 27th, 2020, 2:19 am

James-F wrote:
March 27th, 2020, 2:07 am
How can it possibly be related to the SD card itself, if a small 'trick' in the menu system fixes the issue?
You only tested the booting sequence. It's possible that this can be bypassed by stressing the CPU on the PS1 side, which would change the access speed.

Cyke 12 reported that RE2 not only didn't boot with K1V4, but would also randomly freeze during gameplay. Something which stopped happening at all after he changed his SD card. The reason why Cyke 12 report is so relevant is because he completed the game with no saves multiple times on both cards.
― Paul Bowles

James-F

Post by James-F » March 27th, 2020, 2:25 am

Did you confirm with Cyke12 he had exactly the same content on the new SD card as on the old SD card?
I mean EXACTLY the same content, files+folders. As we know, that matter with the PSIO.

Moreover, two people confirming the same bug should be hard enough evidence,, or are you going to keep saying Cyke12?

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » March 27th, 2020, 2:28 am

James-F wrote:
March 27th, 2020, 2:25 am
Did you confirm with Cyke12 he had exactly the same content on the new SD card as on the old SD card?
I mean EXACTLY the same content, files+folders. As we know, that matter with the PSIO.
IIRC, Cyke 12 went as far as using only the RE2 bins for his tests, but he will need to share the exact details of his actions, of course.
James-F wrote:
March 27th, 2020, 2:25 am
Moreover, two people confirming the same bug should be hard enough evidence,, or are you going to keep saying Cyke12?
So far, Cyke 12 is the only one who completed the game in full multiple times on two different cards. Don't you understand we need to wait until somebody with a card which doesn't boot RE2 normally can confirm that the booting workaround also fixes the random gameplay freezing? This cannot be tested in a day or two. I personally can't test it because I don't have a card with that problem.
― Paul Bowles

James-F

Post by James-F » March 27th, 2020, 3:04 am

So I used a new 64GB card, copied only RE2 and MENU.SYS.
RE2 booted perfectly with LoadExec K1V4. :dance

Added a few empty folders, started the game (double-X).... black screen. :shrug

Used the 'Search trick' and it booted with K1V4. :dance

It that enough evidence for my bug report?
Last edited by James-F on April 7th, 2020, 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » March 27th, 2020, 3:26 am

James-F wrote:
March 27th, 2020, 3:04 am
It that enough evidence for my bug report?
For the booting - yes, it's proved that changing the SD card's content affects it.

Now beat the game at least once per disc to make sure it doesn't randomly freeze on the cards which were giving problems before. We don't even know if this is the same bug. For Cyke 12, it was freezing even if it booted correctly with Midboot.
― Paul Bowles

James-F

Post by James-F » March 27th, 2020, 3:41 am

I can't get past the first screen, I get eaten by zombies the moment the game starts.
This game sucks anyway. 8-)

Give me a good platformer, fighting, driving game, over this crap.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
I am a: Systems Designer
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502

Post by Matt » March 27th, 2020, 4:43 am

James-F wrote:
March 27th, 2020, 3:41 am
I can't get past the first screen, I get eaten by zombies the moment the game starts.
This game sucks anyway. 8-)

Give me a good platformer, fighting, driving game, over this crap.
Resident Evil 2 is one of the best games on the PlayStation 1. It's also a survivor horror so you gotta' be smart and tactical when playing it. If you run at zombies what do you think is gonna' happen? lol.

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » March 27th, 2020, 5:04 am

If Cyke 12 has the time and desire, he should complete the game again using the card which was faulty for him, but this time with only the RE2 .bin on the card.
― Paul Bowles

James-F

Post by James-F » March 27th, 2020, 5:05 am

So.. Matt.
Do you have any thought on this SD card issue?

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » March 27th, 2020, 5:25 am

Just a thought, but worth trying out: can vitaflo do the FF7 frame measuring again, but this time only with the FF7 .bin on the card? Maybe the amount of files on the card is the cause for the slowdowns? I'm currently playing FF7 on a 32 GB card with about 30 folders and it's not as jerky as in the videos that I saw. However, I can't do professional frame analysis due to the lack of video capturing hardware.
― Paul Bowles