Official PSIO News and Development Thread

Official Development, Research, Bug Fixes and Progress directly from Cybdyn Systems
Forum rules
This section is for development news, research, bug fixes, progress, changes and information in regards to PSIO directly posted from Cybdyn Systems. Do not post any questions here relating to your order as they will be deleted. Instead, please go back and create a new post in the "Help and Support" forum. Thanks.
NRGDEAD
/// CYBDYN SYSTEMS ELITE ///
I am a: Noob
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1002

Re: Official PSIO News and Development Thread

Post by NRGDEAD » August 12th, 2019, 6:51 am

NRGDEAD wrote:
August 11th, 2019, 11:50 pm
I'd consider subchannels basic functionality since about 250 titles seem to require it, but I don't get to decide what is how important. Unlike you, of course.
Cue2cu2 - Python script for creating CU2 sheets via command line on Linux/Mac/Windows.

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » August 12th, 2019, 6:57 am

NRGDEAD wrote:
August 12th, 2019, 6:51 am
I'd consider subchannels basic functionality since about 250 titles seem to require it, but I don't get to decide what is how important. Unlike you, of course.
They don't require it since there are patches for all of those games. Only purists who are also PAL game lovers would care about having to see a trainer screen before starting a game and that's not basic functionality. When even non-Libcrypt games like NTSC FFVII and RE2 don't work properly with the current firmware, sub-channels for some slow-ass PAL games are not a priority.

Redump provides .sbi and .lsd files with the Libcrypt data, so it won't be a major problem to implement at some point (yet time-consuming, I imagine). Let's get PSIO to actually run games flawlessly first, though.
Oh I know there's comfort in sadness
But I try to distinguish these passing emotions
My unimportant existence
From the great machine of the world's indifference

KarlG

Post by KarlG » August 12th, 2019, 9:24 am

The main issue for me is that for some games the titles and audio are different between PAL and NTSC. Sydney 2000 for example has American commentary which kind of makes the game unplayable when you are used the British audio. The same issue with the ToCA World Touring Cars which has been changed to Jarrett & Labonte Stock Car Racing on the NTSC version and there are slight audio differences too.

Yes we need to get the main NTSC games working first, then ideally lib crypt / Sub channel stuff and then onto trivial stuff such as menu sorting or larger memory card support etc.

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » August 12th, 2019, 9:39 am

KarlG wrote:
August 12th, 2019, 9:24 am
The main issue for me is that for some games the titles and audio are different between PAL and NTSC. Sydney 2000 for example has American commentary which kind of makes the game unplayable when you are used the British audio. The same issue with the ToCA World Touring Cars which has been changed to Jarrett & Labonte Stock Car Racing on the NTSC version and there are slight audio differences too.
What's stopping you from using the protection fix patches for those games, though?
My unimportant existence

NRGDEAD

Post by NRGDEAD » August 12th, 2019, 11:28 am

Why is it so hard for this guy to understand that other people have other preferences?
Cue2cu2 - Python script for creating CU2 sheets via command line on Linux/Mac/Windows.

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » August 12th, 2019, 12:08 pm

NRGDEAD wrote:
August 12th, 2019, 11:28 am
Why is it so hard for this guy to understand that other people have other preferences?
You're projecting here. I want to know the reasoning behind not using protection fix patches when sub-channel support isn't coming for the time being and it has nothing to do with "preferences".
Last edited by Takehaniyasubiko on August 12th, 2019, 12:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My unimportant existence

NRGDEAD

Post by NRGDEAD » August 12th, 2019, 12:12 pm

This made me chuckle.
Anyway, enough off-topic talk.

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » August 12th, 2019, 12:18 pm

NRGDEAD wrote:
August 12th, 2019, 12:12 pm
This made me chuckle.
Anyway, enough off-topic talk.
Even if we follow your reasoning here, you do understand that it's self-contradictory, right? You don't want to use protection fix patches because they "tint" the experience as the games don't boot like from the original CDs anymore. The trainer screens aren't what you remember from playing original disc. Well, you're already altering that experience by the mere fact of using PSIO instead of the original CDs. You're forced to see the PSIO screen, which "taints" the experience since it's not booting like the original CD and you have to boot the disc image from a custom-made menu now. How's that different from using protection fix patches? The experience is already altered. It's never going to be exactly like using the original CDs, so why get so obsessed with some Libcrypt nonsense? Even if the sub-channels are added, people will still have to go through the process of patching their disc images with the sub-channels data (or at least downloading them to the game folders). How's that different from using the protection fix patches?
My unimportant existence

krisk77

Post by krisk77 » August 12th, 2019, 6:08 pm

^^^ This.
NTSC JP 5000 PU-8/PSIO Switchboard
NTSC JP 7000 PU-20/Mayumi 4 chip + PSIO Switchboard

PAL 7502 PU-22/Mayumi 4 Chip + PSIO Switchboard

Batossai

Post by Batossai » August 14th, 2019, 5:44 am

I'm from Spain, I made a selection of 1.500 games between Eur, Usa and Jap sets. I chose the Usa set as the first option (because of the 60hz) and then a pal duplicate if the Spanish language was in it and not the Usa one (because my nephews don't understand English).

Of all those 1500 games, only 32 had to be patched (In the 250 lybcrypt games sometimes there are 5 versions in different languages of the same game and sometimes they are just bad games). I had difficulties with two of them because the patches were not ppf. And there weren't any patches for 2 of them: Spanish version of technomage and the italian job.

I don't think it is a big deal, just a small inconvenience for somebody who knows what to do and where to search. But a big deal for those who are just plug and play users. Most of the 32 games are must have for many users, so I can understand the demand even if I don't need it.

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » August 14th, 2019, 5:47 am

Batossai wrote:
August 14th, 2019, 5:44 am
(In the 250 lybcrypt games sometimes there are 5 versions in different languages of the same game and sometimes they are just bad games).
Exactly. There's about 100 unique PAL gams with Libcrypt and I honestly wouldn't waste my time to patch even one of them since all the good ones have superior NTSC versions. I understand that some people might want to play those games for some reasons and also don't want to see the trainer screens, but it's such a minority that it should be considered an extra feature for the future. We need to have actual accurate CD-ROM emulation first.
My unimportant existence

Batossai

Post by Batossai » August 14th, 2019, 6:56 am

Yeah, I agree. I guess that when the new update is released there will be a new manual. There are some things that should be added to it.
First, the mention of 6 multidisc as maximum for beatmania mainly. Because it has so many addons.
Second, when you are going to use the batch feature for multidisc they have to be named (Disc 1) etc. When they use other format like [Disc1of4] or not mention at all, it fails and treat them as separate games.
Third, when you are using the batching to create a single .bin all the tracks have to be named (Track 1) etc. I found that in some fan translations the first track didn't have the (Track 1) in the name, only on the second onwards and the bin was broken.

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » August 14th, 2019, 7:00 am

I just hope the new update has greatly improved timing calculations for ARM, to the point of actually being compatible with all games except Vib Ribbon (which, as I understand, will never be compatible).
My unimportant existence

wanderer
PlayStation Model: scph-1002

Post by wanderer » August 14th, 2019, 7:12 am

I'll have to agree with Takehaniyasubiko. Accuracy should be considered a priority. The issues with FF7, RE2 and RE3 are kind of a bummer.

paulkakanis

Post by paulkakanis » August 14th, 2019, 11:33 am

^^^^This. So much this.

fernan1234
Seriously Active at Cybdyn Systems
Seriously Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by fernan1234 » August 14th, 2019, 12:54 pm

^^^A bit concerning that there has been no confirmation that the upcoming update actually fixes those games, but we'll just have to cross our fingers and do a bit of testing when it does come out.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
I am a: Systems Designer
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502

Post by Matt » August 14th, 2019, 4:03 pm

We added new seek calculation logic which seems to have fixed Duke Nukem and Micro Machines V3 (since they seemed to have broken when we made previous timing changes) but Jackie Chan still freezes. We're testing Resident Evil 3 with it now. It still need to be 'tuned' but it's getting there. Overall this update it going to be a major one :P

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » August 14th, 2019, 10:08 pm

Matt wrote:
August 14th, 2019, 4:03 pm
but Jackie Chan still freezes.
That game is going to haunt me in nightmares.

What about FF7?
My unimportant existence

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
I am a: Systems Designer
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502

Post by Matt » August 14th, 2019, 10:16 pm

Final Fantasy 7 is hard to test because I don't have the Memory Card data for the scene where it supposedly has problems. Actually, someone did send me card data but it's in the PS2 formatting so I can't use the old-school tools to convert it. Apparently I needed to load up Free McBoot and convert it or something, but I ain't got time for that :P

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » August 14th, 2019, 10:34 pm

Matt wrote:
August 14th, 2019, 10:16 pm
Final Fantasy 7 is hard to test because I don't have the Memory Card data for the scene where it supposedly has problems. Actually, someone did send me card data but it's in the PS2 formatting so I can't use the old-school tools to convert it. Apparently I needed to load up Free McBoot and convert it or something, but I ain't got time for that :P
Loading FMCB takes a few minutes at maximum, but if you don't have them, you can just ignore this MC process because FF7 has garbled graphics everywhere. You just need to play it for at least 20 minutes and the graphics will go f themselves, no matter where you are in the game.
My unimportant existence