Generic Discussions of Various User Forum Content
NRGDEAD
/// CYBDYN SYSTEMS ELITE ///
I am a: Noob
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1002

Re: Mega CD

Post by NRGDEAD » June 18th, 2019, 11:07 am

I,...I was only kidding!... I didn't know about this!
Cue2cu2: A Python script for creating CU2 sheets via command line on Linux/Mac/Windows.
GitHub / Forum

PSIO wallpaper template in Photoshop format.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
I am a: Systems Designer
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502

Post by Matt » June 18th, 2019, 7:25 pm

Wow, looks like they beat us to it. Haha. We've been focused on PSIO too much :P

Looks like a really well made product and along the lines of something we would have done too. I would definitely buy it. Good job TerraOnion.

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » June 18th, 2019, 7:48 pm

Matt wrote:
June 18th, 2019, 7:25 pm
Looks like a really well made product and along the lines of something we would have done too. I would definitely buy it. Good job TerraOnion.
At 270 USD + shipping and taxes, it must be, or else people would tear it apart in reviews after a week or two.
Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, an afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four, five times more, perhaps not even that.
― Paul Bowles

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » June 18th, 2019, 8:35 pm

Gosh, that's $400 Australian for the cartridge alone. If we made it, no way would it cost that much. I think they're selling them at that price because they know that Mega-CD units alone go for a few hundred dollars so they're taking advantage of that fact. Another issue is that the Mega-CD isn't that much of a popular console, so they need to turn over large profits at low volume to cover the injection moulding tooling costs (since that would be the most expensive thing they had to do).

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » June 18th, 2019, 10:24 pm

Matt wrote:
June 18th, 2019, 8:35 pm
Gosh, that's $400 Australian for the cartridge alone. If we made it, no way would it cost that much. I think they're selling them at that price because they know that Mega-CD units alone go for a few hundred dollars so they're taking advantage of that fact. Another issue is that the Mega-CD isn't that much of a popular console, so they need to turn over large profits at low volume to cover the injection moulding tooling costs (since that would be the most expensive thing they had to do).
They are tailoring the product for a very niche market of people who both love retro games and use money as fuel in their fireplace. For example, there are disk drive emulators for C64 which cost 250 USD. It's just crazy, but when I talked with a person who sells them in the UK, he said he's just happy with making a few units per month for rich clients.
Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, an afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four, five times more, perhaps not even that.
― Paul Bowles

krisk77

Post by krisk77 » June 22nd, 2019, 10:56 am

I pre-ordered one this week and have Smokemonster's recent Mega PAck V7.1 ready with the full SCD Redump sets. Been waiting years for actual CD ISO play on real hardware without burning discs.
NTSC JP 5000 PU-8/PSIO Switchboard
NTSC JP 7000 PU-20/Mayumi 4 chip + PSIO Switchboard

PAL 7502 PU-22/Mayumi 4 Chip + PSIO Switchboard

zePeido
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by zePeido » June 24th, 2019, 10:14 pm

I understand that the Mega CD model 1 and model 2 are different and that it would be harder to create an ODE than to create a cartridge like the Mega SD that emulates the entire Mega CD, but I'm not interested in a product like the Mega SD.
What I want is to keep using my Mega CD even after it's optical drive dies, I don't want to replace it with a cartridge that emulates it completely.

NRGDEAD

Post by NRGDEAD » June 26th, 2019, 2:39 am

zePeido wrote:
June 24th, 2019, 10:14 pm
What I want is to keep using my Mega CD even after it's optical drive dies, I don't want to replace it with a cartridge that emulates it completely.
I completely agree with this - altough I'm very tempted because I only ever owned the base console. As a kid, buying the addons was too expensive at the time. And once I had a bit of money, the Saturn came along. And the MegaSD offers quite a lot for the money. I'm not sure if I really want to play original Mega Drive modules, for example; save states were quite the revelation to me when I first saw them on emulators. Made it possible to somewhat quickly experience and beat a game without having to get good at it first.
Cue2cu2: A Python script for creating CU2 sheets via command line on Linux/Mac/Windows.
GitHub / Forum

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » June 26th, 2019, 3:11 am

Real Mega CD hardware is actually even more expensive nowadays than this cart and that's where I draw the line between nostalgia and practicality.
― Paul Bowles

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » June 26th, 2019, 8:00 am

I wasn't aware that this Mega CD Flashcart can play all Mega Drive games from all the peripherals. Honestly, if they dropped the price, it would destroy the Ever Drive. Would be really nice if it also offered well made development tools (such as a debugger) so people could make games for the Mega Drive peripheral range (Mega Drive/Genesis, 32x and Mega CD).

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » June 26th, 2019, 8:28 am

Matt wrote:
June 26th, 2019, 8:00 am
I wasn't aware that this Mega CD Flashcart can play all Mega Drive games from all the peripherals. Honestly, if they dropped the price, it would destroy the Ever Drive.
They are clearly positioning it as a direct competition for Mega EverDrive, especially with MSU1-like features. Stil, worth it or not, it's simply very expensive, so only a minority within a minority will get it. I expect production shortages, too, which will only increase the price down the road.
― Paul Bowles

NRGDEAD

Post by NRGDEAD » June 26th, 2019, 11:05 am

Matt wrote:
June 26th, 2019, 8:00 am
I wasn't aware that this Mega CD Flashcart can play all Mega Drive games from all the peripherals.
You still need the 32X for 32X games, and you can't play the few games that require both the Mega CD and the 32X - which is a bummer.
GitHub / Forum

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » June 26th, 2019, 1:40 pm

Oh, I watched a review on it and they said it can play 32x games. Maybe it was incorrect or I got my facts mixed :)

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » June 26th, 2019, 1:51 pm

This list of features is quite informative.
• World’s First Mega-CD/Sega CD FPGA Optical Disc Emulator
• Plays both ISOS, bin+cue, and ROMS file formats
• Compatible with all original and region free patched Mega-CD/Sega CD bios
• Supports Mega Drive/Genesis, Sega CD/Mega-CD, Master System and 32X games (requires 32X add-on)
• Fully Supports original Mega Drive and Genesis hardware (Nomad included)
• Fully compatible with Analogue Mega Sg!
• Easy to use interface for navigating your collection with screenshots, genre, year and description
• Save State support for Mega Drive and Genesis Cartridge games (8 slots)
• Built in cheat engine for Mega Drive and Genesis cartridge games
• Emulates all different Genesis/Mega Drive/Master System/32x cartridge mappers.
• Stores all different Genesis/Mega Drive/Master System/32x cartridge saves onto microSD card.
• Per game Mega-CD/Sega CD Backup RAM and Cartridge RAM stored into microSD card
• Master System FM Core
• In-Game menu for a fast reboot and swapping games(Genesis/Mega Drive and Mega-CD/Sega CD)
• Enhanced Mega Drive games with CD audio and Mega-CD/Sega CD hardware (MSU1 like)
• 400GB Exfat microSD supported
― Paul Bowles

zePeido
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by zePeido » June 26th, 2019, 8:50 pm

For me, I would rather buy a RaspberryPi and a megadrive/genesis USB/wireless clone controller to play Sega Mega CD games with an emulator than to buy the Mega SD.

I understand that original Sega Mega CD hardware is very expensive, but both the RaspberryPi+emulator and the Mega SD are emulators.

I would only consider buying a Mega SD if it uses the correct voltage (I don't know if it does or not) and if I wanted to use it to play mastersystem and megadrive/genesis and 32X games on the original Sega consoles and add-ons. Even then, original game cartridges don't have the failure rates of optical disc drives, so the only real incentive I would have to use a device like an everdrive is to play more games than the ones I own on the original Sega hardware.

Greg2600
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by Greg2600 » July 10th, 2019, 8:31 am

They have a ton of R&D into this product, so it's going to be priced accordingly. Plus it will be a full retail product with professional box and whatnot. They're also I believe licensing a X68000 FPGA core to mimic the original CD CPU, not sure how cheap that is. As for the Ever Drive, Krikzz has stated he will probably replace his current Mega ED with a new model with better hardware, and might offer CD support then. The Mega SD price is quite close to what the Mega ED plus a CD attachment would cost. I think it's reasonable, and will likely buy one once Stone Age Gamer gets them.

fille1976
Seriously Active at Cybdyn Systems
Seriously Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by fille1976 » July 16th, 2019, 5:21 pm

zePeido wrote:
June 26th, 2019, 8:50 pm
For me, I would rather buy a RaspberryPi and a megadrive/genesis USB/wireless clone controller to play Sega Mega CD games with an emulator than to buy the Mega SD.

I understand that original Sega Mega CD hardware is very expensive, but both the RaspberryPi+emulator and the Mega SD are emulators.

I would only consider buying a Mega SD if it uses the correct voltage (I don't know if it does or not) and if I wanted to use it to play mastersystem and megadrive/genesis and 32X games on the original Sega consoles and add-ons. Even then, original game cartridges don't have the failure rates of optical disc drives, so the only real incentive I would have to use a device like an everdrive is to play more games than the ones I own on the original Sega hardware.
Youre totally wrong sir.
Mega sd is fpga,totally different from emulation.
That you don't want to buy it cause its not cheap,ok with that,but don't say fpga and emulation is the same.
Search the difference between fpga and emulation,totally different.

NRGDEAD

Post by NRGDEAD » July 16th, 2019, 7:46 pm

How is it different? Besides that it's done without the abstraction layers of having a general purpose processor run an operating system which runs a program which runs the foreign code?
Too the best of my knowledge, a FPGA is a gateway array that is, in this case, to be programmed to imitate (a) given processor(s). It's certainly a higher quality of emulation because it's a dedicated chip doing exactly one thing, but I fail to see how it is "totally different".
GitHub / Forum

zePeido
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by zePeido » July 16th, 2019, 11:23 pm

fille1976 wrote:
July 16th, 2019, 5:21 pm
Youre totally wrong sir.
Mega sd is fpga,totally different from emulation.
That you don't want to buy it cause its not cheap,ok with that,but don't say fpga and emulation is the same.
Search the difference between fpga and emulation,totally different.
I'm not wrong.
Emulation is emulation, it doesn't matter if it's done by a FPGA or by software.

The creators of the Mega SD had to program/code the FPGA to emulate the Sega Mega CD.
Just like a Sega Mega CD software emulator, the accuracy of the Mega SD depends on how good it's program code is.

I don't want to buy the Mega SD not only because it's expensive, but also because it's not the real thing... it's just an emulator.
Last edited by zePeido on July 17th, 2019, 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » July 17th, 2019, 12:56 am

FPGA is just hardware emulation. It has the advantage of running with no OS layer, so there's no input lag at all and you can put all the hardware power into accurate emulation, but yeah, it's still just emulation.
― Paul Bowles