Request new features or ask for existing features to be fixed or updated
Drunk_Caterpillar
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

MemCard PRO Support?

Post by Drunk_Caterpillar » February 12th, 2021, 11:44 am

Looks like 8BitMods has a pretty cool new piece of hardware releasing soon:

https://8bitmods.com/memcard-pro-for-playstation-1/
MemCard PRO can seamlessly communicate with an ODE and automatically mount the memory card specifically for that game! If it's the first time you're running the game, it will automatically create 8 virtual memory cards for that specific game, and even show the game's name on the display!
Would be great to have this feature enabled on the PSIO.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
I am a: Systems Designer
PlayStation Model: H2700/5502

Re: MemCard PRO Support?

Post by Matt » February 12th, 2021, 11:56 am

We have one in which will be released soon for PSIO. No need to buy anything since PSIO will handle it all :)

Attachments
photo_2021-01-12_16-02-31.jpg
(41.76 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Drunk_Caterpillar
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by Drunk_Caterpillar » February 12th, 2021, 11:57 am

Excellent! Thanks Matt. :)

[Edit] Follow up question though: Will your memory card manager be able to perform a similar function, where it creates per-game memory cards that can be automatically loaded at game launch?

NRGDEAD
/// CYBDYN SYSTEMS ELITE ///
I am a: Noob
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1002

Post by NRGDEAD » February 12th, 2021, 12:43 pm

As far as I know, the PSIO can't emulate a virtual memory card. It would have to copy to/from a physical memory card before the game is launched.
But again, this is to the best of my knowledge. Please correct me if I'm wrong. :-)
Cue2cu2: A Python script for creating CU2 sheets via the command line on Linux/Mac/Windows.
GitHub / Forum

PSIO wallpaper template in Photoshop format.

Syntax
Lives in the Cybdyn Systems Server
I am a: ModMan
PlayStation Model: 5000x

Post by Syntax » February 12th, 2021, 2:51 pm

But it would be possible to launch a script on game load that transfers that games PSIO stored saves to the memory card in slot 2.
PSIO Switchboard Install and Console Mod Service (Australia/Worldwide)
viewtopic.php?f=72&t=3143

Redump USA / EURO / JP & ASIA cue/cu2 collection for PSIO
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1TSvP5 ... -qK4wR_-gT

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » February 12th, 2021, 4:54 pm

Syntax wrote: February 12th, 2021, 2:51 pm But it would be possible to launch a script on game load that transfers that games PSIO stored saves to the memory card in slot 2.
Yes, that is possible to do, but it's slow. The Sony Memory Card's write very slowly. It also is possible to create a virtual Memory Card on the parallel port, but it will break games. It will not be compatible with many so we won't be going down that route.

NRGDEAD

Post by NRGDEAD » February 13th, 2021, 12:18 am

Then it might be worth it to support the MemCard Pro with the automatic switching - if that even can be done. From a potential customer's perspective: they would not need the MemCard Pro to take full advantage of the PSIO, but they could use the PSIO to take full advantage of the MemCard Pro. :-)
Cue2cu2: A Python script for creating CU2 sheets via the command line on Linux/Mac/Windows.
GitHub / Forum

SavitarSvit
Seriously Active at Cybdyn Systems
Seriously Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by SavitarSvit » February 13th, 2021, 2:31 am

Drunk_Caterpillar wrote: February 12th, 2021, 11:44 am Looks like 8BitMods has a pretty cool new piece of hardware releasing soon:

MemCard PRO can seamlessly communicate with an ODE and automatically mount the memory card specifically for that game! If it's the first time you're running the game, it will automatically create 8 virtual memory cards for that specific game, and even show the game's name on the display!
£60 for this crap? :clap
The fool and the money must part.

whitezombie

Post by whitezombie » February 13th, 2021, 5:10 am

I still have a dozen clone cards from Aliexpress that I haven't even used yet and not even sure I will. Paid about $10 for them. Might be good for some people but I don't need that much space for PS1 saves. It's certainly a nice idea but they charge $20 for shipping too. It's almost $100.

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » February 13th, 2021, 5:19 am

Archiving PS1 saves was always easy and cheap thanks to PS2's homebrew and USB support.

With PSIO's memory card manager, it's going to be even easier.

That MemCard PRO is absurdly expensive and redundant in functions, especially if you're not from UK (TAX).

But there is a market for overpriced retro console accessories, so the creators of MemCard PRO will get their pie, regardless of its actual worth.
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, an afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four, five times more, perhaps not even that."
- Paul Bowles

whitezombie

Post by whitezombie » February 13th, 2021, 6:19 am

Takehaniyasubiko wrote: February 13th, 2021, 5:19 am Archiving PS1 saves was always easy and cheap thanks to PS2's homebrew and USB support.

With PSIO's memory card manager, it's going to be even easier.

That MemCard PRO is absurdly expensive and redundant in functions, especially if you're not from UK (TAX).

But there is a market for overpriced retro console accessories, so the creators of MemCard PRO will get their pie, regardless of its actual worth.
Yeah, I used MCAnnihilator to create PS2 and PS1 card images via the PS2. I always wanted a way for the PS1 to do it natively.

NRGDEAD

Post by NRGDEAD » February 13th, 2021, 7:38 am

I think I might get one. Not having to worry about which card has which savegame(s) and even having one virtual card per game sounds really nice. Plus easy backups via rsync. Probably even over Wi-Fi.
GitHub / Forum

Drunk_Caterpillar
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by Drunk_Caterpillar » February 13th, 2021, 1:12 pm

Just to be clear, I understand that a solution like this isn't for everyone but there is a lot of utility here that goes above and beyond what Matt/Cybdyn is offering. I'm not saying "Stop working on the PSIO Memory Card Manager and focus on this instead," but it sounds like 8BitMods is supplying an SDK and I personally would be interested in seeing something like this on the roadmap for the future.

Damn-Deal-Done
I am a: B.Sc./M.Sc. in Audio Technology
Motto: Beer, beer, beer.

Post by Damn-Deal-Done » February 13th, 2021, 1:30 pm

Last edited by Damn-Deal-Done on May 4th, 2021, 2:55 am, edited 3 times in total.

Drunk_Caterpillar
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by Drunk_Caterpillar » February 13th, 2021, 1:38 pm

Damn-Deal-Done wrote: February 13th, 2021, 1:30 pm Most over priced website ever. Kaico Labs would get my money before them.
Castlemania is also doing pre-orders.

Again, folks, I get it; not everyone feels like this is worth the money for them and that's fine. This is a feature request forum though, and it would be lovely to be able to request features without people showing up just to shit all over it. Jesus.

38911bytes
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by 38911bytes » February 14th, 2021, 12:38 am

Looks interesting to me- would love to see support for this in ps-io

Last_Colossus
PlayStation Model: SCPH-5501

Post by Last_Colossus » February 15th, 2021, 1:07 am

SavitarSvit wrote: February 13th, 2021, 2:31 am
Drunk_Caterpillar wrote: February 12th, 2021, 11:44 am Looks like 8BitMods has a pretty cool new piece of hardware releasing soon:

£60 for this crap? :clap
The fool and the money must part.

How exactly is it crap?, used genuine ps1 memory cards go for $12-$15 a piece on ebay, at the moment I only own 2 and have already filled up both with several games on my PSIO and if I wanted to get a couple memory cards to last me a really long time it would cost me around $90 for 6 or more. Being able to store almost infinite virtual memory cards on a microsd sounds freaking awesome and if the PSIO supported auto game switching as well that'd be even more awesome.

Drunk_Caterpillar wrote: February 13th, 2021, 1:38 pm
Damn-Deal-Done wrote: February 13th, 2021, 1:30 pm Most over priced website ever. Kaico Labs would get my money before them.
Castlemania is also doing pre-orders.

Again, folks, I get it; not everyone feels like this is worth the money for them and that's fine. This is a feature request forum though, and it would be lovely to be able to request features without people showing up just to shit all over it. Jesus.
Exactly, I can't wait for the PSIO Memory Card Manager update as it'll make backing up my original memory cards saves possible which is insane! but that doesn't mean we have to put down another product.

mRmo
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by mRmo » February 15th, 2021, 9:12 am

its combatible it dont use parrarelport and support ps2. maybe you choose in wifi with a compute ,r what virtual card something . it says its combatible automaticly with an ode dont understand this. maybe memcard port understand what slus sles number in a game or something when loaded up. and it choose from memport dont understand how it cant maybe psio memcard mananger can push this over to memport like command. but not wifi i belive

foxhound
I am a: Power engineer
PlayStation Model: 7502

Post by foxhound » February 15th, 2021, 3:46 pm

So good news Matt is working on memcard manager.
By the way now I am using another way to manage my saves. It's easy. I took USB extension cable (male-female), cut it half. Soldered 3 wires of female side to rx, tx and gnd pins of serial port on the motherpoard. Ordered usb-uart with 3.3v logic (com to usb) ($1), soldered it's output wires (rx,tx,gnd) to male half's wires of my cut cable.
Now I have a little usb port that sticks out of free space (hole near parallel port). I can easily connect usb-male to it, on the other end of which is my usb-uart, which goes to usb port of notebook. There is a program "MemcardRex" by Shendo, which must be running both on PC and PS1 (exe and bin available), and allows to do all managing with both memory card slots.
:up :down :up :circle

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » February 15th, 2021, 7:00 pm

That's one way to do it, but it's a bit messy and requires soldering. With PSIO and our Memory Card Manager, you'll be able to also copy saves via USB in the Systems Console (which we will be updating as well) as well as finishing off the powerful and advanced debugger :)