How about a list of games that require specific modes?

Request new features or ask for existing features to be fixed or updated
wanderer
Lives in the Cybdyn Systems Server
I am a: wanderer
PlayStation Model: scph-1002

How about a list of games that require specific modes?

Post by wanderer » November 10th, 2019, 8:02 am

Hi, I'm creating this topic to know if any of you like the idea of a list of games that require specific modes to work. I myself think it would be a good idea. I'm suggesting this for a few reasons :

•first, there is no such list, obvious reason.
•It would prevent from letting people running into mode incompatibilities. Sometimes we see people come here complaining that a specific game doesn't work and then they realise they have to pick a specific mode.
•I don't think it would be too hard to come up with such a list. Besides it would only grow as people report games that need specific modes.
•It would make for more convenience. People could leave their PSIO set to midboot and place K1V files in the folder of games that require it.

We know have a list from zePeido :
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0
Last edited by wanderer on November 16th, 2019, 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

NRGDEAD
/// CYBDYN SYSTEMS ELITE ///
I am a: Noob
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1002

Re: How about a list of games that require specific modes?

Post by NRGDEAD » November 10th, 2019, 8:36 am

Already came up a couple of times. See here.
I personally don't see a reason; you can quickly figure that out per game and make the setting permanent. And the firmware is subject to change, so then you'll get people complaining about the list not being up to date. ;-)
Cue2cu2: A Python script for creating CU2 sheets via the command line on Linux/Mac/Windows.
GitHub / Forum

PSIO wallpaper template in Photoshop format.

zePeido
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by zePeido » November 12th, 2019, 10:12 pm

I think the list idea is good.

To prevent problems where the firmware changes compatibilities, the list should also contain the versions of the firmwares used to test the mode. For example:
---Name________________Region(s)_____________________Mode(s)_______Firmware(s) used to test
---Final Fantasy VII_______PAL / NTSC(U) / NTSC(J)________K1V2__________2.5 / 2.6
This way people wouldn't complain about the list, they could just update the list.

wanderer

Post by wanderer » November 13th, 2019, 3:34 am

zePeido wrote:
November 12th, 2019, 10:12 pm
I think the list idea is good.

To prevent problems where the firmware changes compatibilities, the list should also contain the versions of the firmwares used to test the mode. For example:
---Name________________Region(s)_____________________Mode(s)_______Firmware(s) used to test
---Final Fantasy VII_______PAL / NTSC(U) / NTSC(J)________K1V2__________2.5 / 2.6
This way people wouldn't complain about the list, they could just update the list.
That's more or less how I was envisionning it. I would also add the name of the tester and the game ID. It's just a matter of initiative now, unless someone is really against it. It may not be worth it to do it under the current firmware though. Perhaps it's better to wait for the next firmware to come out.

NRGDEAD
I am a: Noob

Post by NRGDEAD » November 13th, 2019, 9:20 am

If you really think it's worth the effort, set up some random online spreadsheet or build something in PHP and invite people to help you fill it. :-)
Cue2cu2: A Python script for creating CU2 sheets via the command line on Linux/Mac/Windows.
GitHub / Forum

PSIO wallpaper template in Photoshop format.

zePeido
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by zePeido » November 15th, 2019, 4:36 am

I've created a list.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... u6jgU/edit

I have not added any game because I can't test anything yet (I still haven't installed the SwitchBoard).

EDIT: Anyone should be able to edit the list. If you have any trouble, please tell me and I'll look into the permissions.
Last edited by zePeido on November 28th, 2019, 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Listai
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by Listai » November 15th, 2019, 2:16 pm

zePeido wrote:
November 15th, 2019, 4:36 am
I've created a list.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... u6jgU/edit

I have not added any game because I can't test anything yet (I still haven't installed the SwitchBoard).
This is great - I've bookmarked it and I'm happy to start pitching in once the new firmware drops.

Kito1984
I am a: Interpreter
Motto: Do no harm
PlayStation Model: SCPH-5500
Steam: kito_2003

Post by Kito1984 » November 15th, 2019, 8:13 pm

Listai wrote:
November 15th, 2019, 2:16 pm
This is great - I've bookmarked it and I'm happy to start pitching in once the new firmware drops.
Yes, it may be really helpful. But I think that maybe after new firmware release this list will be very short :)

zePeido
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by zePeido » November 15th, 2019, 9:17 pm

Is there anything missing in the list? Does "Fastboot" or "Execution Mode" or anything else affect game compatibility?

wanderer

Post by wanderer » November 16th, 2019, 12:09 am

I've just checked your list zePeido. I think it's really well made. However there is one detail that catchs my attention : the way you designed the EXTDSP Mode section. It's as if it was made to test and report any game. Remember I was merely suggesting to report the games that need a specific mode to work. Most games of the PS1 library will work with all modes. However some games will need a specific mode to work. I know for example that Chrono Cross needs K1V2, Racing Lagoon needs K1V2. FF8 on the current firmware needs Midboot. Those are the games that need to be reported. It's not worth it to report games that work with all modes. If you report games that work with all modes you end up with a compatibility list but that's what the JIRA database is for in the first place.

So instead I would replace your EXTDSP Mode section with a 'Necessary Mode' section with a drop down list in each cell (with K1V1, K1V2, K1V3, K1V4 and Midboot as choices).

Perhaps could you also rename your spreadsheet from 'PSIO Compatibility list' to something like 'PSIO EXTDSP Compatibility list' ? That would be more accurate.

Edit : I've edited my first post to include zePeido's list.

Aeyesi

Post by Aeyesi » November 18th, 2019, 2:55 am

wanderer wrote:
November 16th, 2019, 12:09 am
I've just checked your list zePeido. I think it's really well made. However there is one detail that catchs my attention : the way you designed the EXTDSP Mode section. It's as if it was made to test and report any game. Remember I was merely suggesting to report the games that need a specific mode to work. Most games of the PS1 library will work with all modes. However some games will need a specific mode to work. I know for example that Chrono Cross needs K1V2, Racing Lagoon needs K1V2. FF8 on the current firmware needs Midboot. Those are the games that need to be reported. It's not worth it to report games that work with all modes. If you report games that work with all modes you end up with a compatibility list but that's what the JIRA database is for in the first place.

So instead I would replace your EXTDSP Mode section with a 'Necessary Mode' section with a drop down list in each cell (with K1V1, K1V2, K1V3, K1V4 and Midboot as choices).

Perhaps could you also rename your spreadsheet from 'PSIO Compatibility list' to something like 'PSIO EXTDSP Compatibility list' ? That would be more accurate.

Edit : I've edited my first post to include zePeido's list.
Alien Ressurection needs K1V2

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » November 18th, 2019, 3:10 am

wanderer wrote:
I know for example that Chrono Cross needs K1V2, Racing Lagoon needs K1V2.
For over two months now, Chrono Cross not only doesn't need K1V2, it will work worse with it.

This keeps changing between FWs, so a list like that isn't a good idea, IMO.

It's much better to just search these forums to get a clear answer.
Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, an afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four, five times more, perhaps not even that.
― Paul Bowles

zePeido
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by zePeido » November 19th, 2019, 2:09 am

wanderer wrote:

Thanks for the feedback.

Looks like Cybdyn Systems already changed the title of the list to "PSIO EXTDSP Mode Compatibility List", it looks nice.

About the drop down idea:
- I've done the list this way (with a column for each mode instead of a drop down) because I thought that there are games that support two (or more) modes and are incompatible with the remaining modes;
- If all the games either are compatible with just one mode or with all modes, than your suggestion is better than the way I've done the list.
Can someone confirm that there are no games that support more than one mode and that are incompatible with the other modes?

Takehaniyasubiko wrote:
November 18th, 2019, 3:10 am
This keeps changing between FWs, so a list like that isn't a good idea, IMO.

It's much better to just search these forums to get a clear answer.
That is now, but in the future, when everything is stable, a list like this will be very handy.
Also, in the list you have a column with the firmware version. Imagine that someone for some reason doesn't want to update the PSIO to the latest version, this list could be useful for that person.

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » November 19th, 2019, 2:39 am

zePeido wrote:
November 19th, 2019, 2:09 am
That is now, but in the future, when everything is stable, a list like this will be very handy. Also, in the list you have a column with the firmware version. Imagine that someone for some reason doesn't want to update the PSIO to the latest version, this list could be useful for that person.
I know, but I have a lot of experience with similar lists for PS2's HDL and OPL. In the end, they provide more confusion than help. It's actually faster and more reliable to just search the forums. But if some people want to put time into it, it's their time.
Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, an afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four, five times more, perhaps not even that.
― Paul Bowles

zePeido
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by zePeido » November 27th, 2019, 10:11 pm

I've added Croc and Chrono Cross to the list. I have not tested myself, I've only added according with the information I found on this forum.

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » November 27th, 2019, 10:49 pm

Croc doesn't need any modes.

Chrono Cross is WEIRD. It seems it depends on the BIOS version.
― Paul Bowles

zePeido
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by zePeido » November 28th, 2019, 11:06 am

Takehaniyasubiko wrote:
November 27th, 2019, 10:49 pm
Croc doesn't need any modes.

Chrono Cross is WEIRD. It seems it depends on the BIOS version.
Thank you for the correction :)
I've updated the list.

mRmo
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by mRmo » February 27th, 2020, 6:15 am

WipeOut3 K1V2

Kito1984
I am a: Interpreter
Motto: Do no harm
PlayStation Model: SCPH-5500
Steam: kito_2003

Post by Kito1984 » February 27th, 2020, 8:05 am

Need for Speed 2 works only with K1V2 for me. This list seems short (in a good way) :)

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » February 27th, 2020, 6:30 pm

Fighting Force needs K1V2 or else it freezes when using grenades.
― Paul Bowles