MemCard PRO Support?

Request new features or ask for existing features to be fixed or updated
ShadowMask
Just Joined
Just Joined

Re: MemCard PRO Support?

Post by ShadowMask » March 28th, 2021, 8:50 pm

Nobody wants to manually manage save files, just like nobody wants to manually manage their game library. Please consider implementing quality of life improvements instead of offering raw functionality alone. Other things the PSIO desperately needs:

-native support for batch processing of multi-disc files OR drag and drop compatibility with redump sets.
-sub directory support and genre filters (search is not a replacement for browsing curated lists)
-a single database file with cover art that can be dropped on the root of the card.
-increase game limit to enable users to fully utilize 1TB SD cards.

OvoxRubenxovo
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by OvoxRubenxovo » April 11th, 2021, 7:04 pm

@Matt can you estimate when we can expect the FW update with the MemCard support:)?

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
I am a: Systems Designer
PlayStation Model: H2700/5502

Post by Matt » April 12th, 2021, 3:14 pm

We're working hard on this MASSIVE new update for PSIO. We've got the MemCard Pro and HDMI adapter working, SD Card writing is working, a new USB protocol in the works and a few other improvements to the Menu System are underway which mainly speed up the boot times.

It's a pretty major update so that's why it's taking so long :)

OvoxRubenxovo
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by OvoxRubenxovo » April 12th, 2021, 5:06 pm

Sounds awesome. Thanks for the reply

Retro_Rok
Just Joined
Just Joined
I am a: Gamer
Motto: Expect The Unexpected
PlayStation Model: 5502 (HD)

Post by Retro_Rok » April 12th, 2021, 7:53 pm

Sounds great!
Just got my MemCard Pro from 8bitmods and I'll soon get my HDMI compatible SCPH-5502 model.
Can't wait! :)

cleeg
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by cleeg » April 25th, 2021, 7:17 am

So, how would the PSIO and MC Pro talk to each other?

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » April 25th, 2021, 6:07 pm

cleeg wrote: April 25th, 2021, 7:17 am So, how would the PSIO and MC Pro talk to each other?
Through the bus.

whitezombie
Lives in the Cybdyn Systems Server

Post by whitezombie » May 4th, 2021, 6:37 am

I got my MemCard Pros and I must say they are quite nice. If there is one negative thing I have to say is that I was really surprised at how warm they get. I wasn't expecting that. I went into the web gui and shut off the OLED after 30 sec of no activity. Didn't seem to make any difference with the temps. I hope it doesn't cause any issues in the long run.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » May 4th, 2021, 4:13 pm

whitezombie wrote: May 4th, 2021, 6:37 am I got my MemCard Pros and I must say they are quite nice. If there is one negative thing I have to say is that I was really surprised at how warm they get. I wasn't expecting that. I went into the web gui and shut off the OLED after 30 sec of no activity. Didn't seem to make any difference with the temps. I hope it doesn't cause any issues in the long run.
That's what happens when you cram an ESP32 into a small space with no ventilation unfortunately :shrug
The main issue isn't the chip itself, but when using it as a web server it starts to really cook up.

Drunk_Caterpillar
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by Drunk_Caterpillar » May 4th, 2021, 4:34 pm

Yeah, when my pre-order card arrives I plan to turn the WiFi off immediately. I think it's got some really cool features but I don't think it'd be worth the extra power draw, heat, and potential network security issues.

whitezombie

Post by whitezombie » May 4th, 2021, 10:24 pm

Matt wrote: May 4th, 2021, 4:13 pm
whitezombie wrote: May 4th, 2021, 6:37 am I got my MemCard Pros and I must say they are quite nice. If there is one negative thing I have to say is that I was really surprised at how warm they get. I wasn't expecting that. I went into the web gui and shut off the OLED after 30 sec of no activity. Didn't seem to make any difference with the temps. I hope it doesn't cause any issues in the long run.
That's what happens when you cram an ESP32 into a small space with no ventilation unfortunately :shrug
The main issue isn't the chip itself, but when using it as a web server it starts to really cook up.
I was kind of thinking it might be the Wi-Fi that was causing it to warm up. In the web UI I cannot disable Wi-Fi at this time. The button doesn’t do anything. They are active on Twitter and I have reached out to them about this issue if it will be enabled in a future update. I also requested a password for the web UI access because I don’t like how anyone in my home can access that IP address. Someone could potentially go in and delete all the memory cards. Overall it is a really nice card and it slides in and out just like an OEM card.

Takehaniyasubiko
/// CYBDYN SYSTEMS ELITE ///
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1002

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » Yesterday, 7:54 am

The heat issues were my biggest objection.

I'm sure it's a very well-made card, for such a price it has to be, but they just want to do too much with that feeble port of this poor old console.

If some power users don't mind the potential damages from prolonged heated usage, then it's fine for them, but this just isn't a product for the general retro public.
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, an afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four, five times more, perhaps not even that."
- Paul Bowles

Syntax
I am a: ModMan
PlayStation Model: 5000x

Post by Syntax » Yesterday, 12:11 pm

"isn't a product for the general retro public." LMAO Thats some fanboy shit talking right there.
Its a top product and the features and pairing options it has are a huge step forward, especially for PSIO.

ESP32 will run all day hot and not care. And it is external to the PS1 so its not adding any heat to it.
The only real concern would be if you were doing some long read writes to its SD card and having that area reach over 85c could make the SD fail
Id be more worried about an xstation without a fan heating up the inside of the PS1.

If you are that worried about the card whack some speed holes in it.

PSIO Switchboard Install and Console Mod Service (Australia/Worldwide)
viewtopic.php?f=72&t=3143

Redump USA / EURO / JP & ASIA cue/cu2 collection for PSIO
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1TSvP5 ... -qK4wR_-gT

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » Yesterday, 4:24 pm

Syntax wrote: Yesterday, 12:11 pm If you are that worried about the card whack some speed holes in it.

That'll make the card go faster too :P

Takehaniyasubiko
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1002

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » Today, 1:09 am

That card is definitely not for the general retro public and that heat defo affects more than the chip. It's never a good idea to push hardware over it specs in terms of thermal design power. Just because it doesn't set the console on fire doesn't mean it's a sane TDP choice.

If you look at a scene like the Amiga one, there are crazy expansions you can buy nowadays, but does the average Amiga fan use them? Nope. Stuff like this is only for power users, which are never the majority of the general public. It's good that options exists, tho. I guess there is somebody out there who will want thousands of personalized PS1 saves on one card.
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, an afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four, five times more, perhaps not even that."
- Paul Bowles