PS1 freezing at "PSIO" boot screen

Feel free to go ahead and ask for Help and Support or check out what's already been answered from other customers
Forum rules
This section is for asking about help in regards to your PSIO Cartridge. Do not post any questions here relating to your order. Instead, please open a support ticket in our Service Desk. Thanks.
Omnislash
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems
I am a: Computer science engineer

PS1 freezing at "PSIO" boot screen

Post by Omnislash » August 2nd, 2020, 7:40 am

guess I got the critics I wanted although I would have enjoyed a full fledged technical explanation as to which specific points could trigger the issue, but I didn't get any.
Last edited by Omnislash on August 2nd, 2020, 9:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

Takehaniyasubiko
/// CYBDYN SYSTEMS ELITE ///
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1002

Re: PS1 freezing at "PSIO" boot screen

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » August 2nd, 2020, 7:46 am

Waaaay too much solder and heat.

Seems like you created a short, and maybe even in multiple places. I can see that at least one wire is covered with solder and touches exposed traces on the PCB.
Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, an afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four, five times more, perhaps not even that.
― Paul Bowles

Omnislash
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by Omnislash » August 2nd, 2020, 7:54 am

Takehaniyasubiko wrote:
August 2nd, 2020, 7:46 am
Waaaay too much solder and heat.

Seems like you created a short, and maybe even in multiple places. I can see that at least one wire is covered with solder and touches exposed traces on the PCB.
I saw no shorts when measuring around the CPU INT and CPU CS points if that's what you're saying, but thank you for your advice for next time, I unfortunately realized about the heat and solder way too late.
Still if there are more things I should improve I'll gladly take any advice

Takehaniyasubiko
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1002

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » August 2nd, 2020, 8:07 am

You have solder running on the wire and the wire is on exposed traces. If there's no short there, it's a miracle.
Attachments
Bez nazwy.png
(306.26 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, an afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four, five times more, perhaps not even that.
― Paul Bowles

fille1976
Lives in the Cybdyn Systems Server

Post by fille1976 » August 2nd, 2020, 8:42 am

My god,what is this????

Omnislash
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by Omnislash » August 2nd, 2020, 9:10 am

I'll shorten the exposed cable length next time. Just wanted to know if any obvious short could cause this issue for sure

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
I am a: Systems Designer
PlayStation Model: H2700/5502

Post by Matt » August 2nd, 2020, 9:17 am

No comment.

fille1976

Post by fille1976 » August 3rd, 2020, 12:04 am

Desolder all PLEASE.
1)shorten the wires does nothing in this case cause your wire ends are not stripped correct(way too long).
2)Solder between 300 and 315 degrees,use flux.
3)Watch a video how basic soldering.
4)Search on youtube video's off a psio board installation,you will see what is wrong with your install.

wanderer
I am a: wanderer
PlayStation Model: scph-1002

Post by wanderer » August 3rd, 2020, 3:48 am

When you don't have any soldering experience you should practice on dead PCBs.

Omnislash
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by Omnislash » August 3rd, 2020, 4:26 am

fille1976 wrote:
August 3rd, 2020, 12:04 am
Desolder all PLEASE.
1)shorten the wires does nothing in this case cause your wire ends are not stripped correct(way too long).
I meant shortening the wire ends, not the wire sorry.
wanderer wrote:
August 3rd, 2020, 3:48 am
I have an old dead PS1 (failed mod done by a friend who destroyed it) and I WISH I had tried soldering on it first to get used to properly soldering and scratching on these vias. And I do have soldering experience, but way little than most of you I guess.
Biggest issue I had was to solder the wire directly inside the via : the solder wouldn't attach to the via most of the time, even though it was perfectly scratched.

What I do now (trained for several hours on this old dead PCB) is just put some solder first on the vias (very tiny amount gets inside) and then solder the wire and it works great so far, even on very tight spots of the PCB I managed to get perfect solder with a very tiny wire end. Just gonna wait for a new switch board before retrying again, the CPU INT solder point is so fucked up on this mod that I prefer to just leave it as it is given that it still works perfectly without the PSIO plugged in.

Also I watched other mods on youtube before attempting this, and they struggle as well (even though it didn't seem that properly scratched though) https://youtu.be/VyYhcO3n0dU?t=282

fille1976

Post by fille1976 » August 3rd, 2020, 5:14 am

Omnislash wrote:
August 3rd, 2020, 4:26 am
fille1976 wrote:
August 3rd, 2020, 12:04 am
Desolder all PLEASE.
I meant shortening the wire ends, not the wire sorry.
wanderer wrote:
August 3rd, 2020, 3:48 am
I have an old dead PS1 (failed mod done by a friend who destroyed it) and I WISH I had tried soldering on it first to get used to properly soldering and scratching on these vias. And I do have soldering experience, but way little than most of you I guess.
Biggest issue I had was to solder the wire directly inside the via : the solder wouldn't attach to the via most of the time, even though it was perfectly scratched.

What I do now (trained for several hours on this old dead PCB) is just put some solder first on the vias (very tiny amount gets inside) and then solder the wire and it works great so far, even on very tight spots of the PCB I managed to get perfect solder with a very tiny wire end. Just gonna wait for a new switch board before retrying again, the CPU INT solder point is so fucked up on this mod that I prefer to just leave it as it is given that it still works perfectly without the PSIO plugged in.

Also I watched other mods on youtube before attempting this, and they struggle as well (even though it didn't seem that properly scratched though) https://youtu.be/VyYhcO3n0dU?t=282
Because you have to scratch the via's with something to youll see copper or with a fiberglass pen,thats why he struggeled also.
Check psio install from voultar,you will learn something.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » August 3rd, 2020, 7:11 am

Don't use fibreglass pens. As you can see, they don't remove the tenting from a single via, but instead they remove the soldermask from everything (which is bad). Use a knife and scrape the single via's tenting away as mentioned in the install manual.

I use a 10x magnification eye loop, 380 degrees Celsius fine tipped soldering iron, 60/40 solder, a tiny amount of flux the size of a grain of rice (when needed). An old blunt pair of scissors are used to strip the enamel from the end of the wire. What I would do is look at the PU-22 guide since it has newer photos which you can look at to see how fine the wire needs to be stripped (but don't follow it since it won't match your board).

Omnislash
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by Omnislash » August 3rd, 2020, 7:25 am

Matt wrote:
August 3rd, 2020, 7:11 am
Don't use fibreglass pens. As you can see, they don't remove the tenting from a single via, but instead they remove the soldermask from everything (which is bad). Use a knife and scrape the single via's tenting away as mentioned in the install manual.

I use a 10x magnification eye loop, 380 degrees Celsius fine tipped soldering iron, 60/40 solder, a tiny amount of flux the size of a grain of rice (when needed). An old blunt pair of scissors are used to strip the enamel from the end of the wire. What I would do is look at the PU-22 guide since it has newer photos which you can look at to see how fine the wire needs to be stripped (but don't follow it since it won't match your board).
I've always been using a fibreglass pen to expose the copper on this mod, but besides nearby vias getting soldered, I don't have any issue with it, as I still haven't managed to make any bridges between vias if that's the main concern :naughty ? Also now that I take care of having a very tiny exposed wire end (unlike the screenshot above), there shouldn't be any short with any trace

I also set my solder iron to 380°C on this mod but I didn't manage to get the wire to solder inside the via everytime, without putting some solder on the via first. It just wouldn't stick even when the copper is shiny.

So now I just put solder inside the via (and nearby vias because of my solder iron size, but I'll try again with the smallest tip tomorrow) before soldering the wire end.

Anyway, thank you everyone for your kind advice, next time will be way easier now that I learned on a dead PCB how to make very steady and tiny solder joint on these little vias, although I'll train again with different settings before ever trying again on an untouched PCB.
Last edited by Omnislash on August 3rd, 2020, 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » August 3rd, 2020, 7:30 am

You expose the copper to oxidation which will slowly degrade the traces and increase resistance.
You don't shove the wire in and solder INSIDE the via. That's incorrect. You solder TO the via.

This is one of my PU-8 installs. Look at the solder joints. Clean, wet and shiny.

Omnislash
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by Omnislash » August 3rd, 2020, 7:35 am

Matt wrote:
August 3rd, 2020, 7:30 am
You expose the copper to oxidation which will slowly degrade the traces and increase resistance.
You don't shove the wire in and solder INSIDE the via. That's incorrect. You solder TO the via.

This is one of my PU-8 installs. Look at the solder joints. Clean, wet and shiny.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... image0.jpg
Thanks for pointing that out. Guess watching random people on youtube is not a great idea at all and one should stick to the user manual :shrug

Omnislash
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by Omnislash » September 5th, 2020, 5:48 am

Well, I guess things work better when you take your time to make excellent joints and short exposed wires on a new japanese PS1.

Thanks everybody for the feedback on my first attempt, as this one worked first try.

ありがとうございます。

Omnislash
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by Omnislash » September 5th, 2020, 9:35 am

I have an issue though with my disc drive, since now it will spin very shortly two times before stopping completely (with or without PSIO, it doesn't change anything on that matter). The laser doesn't move at all.
At first it was no longer spinning at all. I then realized there was a cable touching the RF shielding, then I moved it and now it spins like two times before stopping.
So I cannot use real discs anymore (not that I really care, but I wonder what caused this). I doubt this has any issue to do with the board install at all ?
PSIO works prefectly fine otherwise, but that drive was working perfectly like 1 month ago (only tried it once after I received it).
The drive power supply was kind of though to pull off from the connector when disassembling, but the connector didn't come off or anything, I wonder if I could have broken a solder joint but I don't see anything like that.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » September 5th, 2020, 12:51 pm

Could be a damaged integrated circuit or component from the poor Switch Board install or a bad solder joint somewhere like you mentioned. Note that you can't see cold solder joints without a microscope.

Omnislash
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by Omnislash » September 5th, 2020, 9:47 pm

Matt wrote:
September 5th, 2020, 12:51 pm
Could be a damaged integrated circuit or component from the poor Switch Board install or a bad solder joint somewhere like you mentioned. Note that you can't see cold solder joints without a microscope.
This a brand new PS1 on which I installed the switchboard, so it has nothing to do with my poor first attempt, nothing was damaged here as far as the switchboard is concerned.

Anyway, disassembled the unit again, and realized that if I pressed the ribbon connector down, the drive would work perfectly. Obviously a cold joint at this point, took my poor microscope out to confirm it before reflowing the connector's joints and it works perfectly now.

Really happy with my PSIO !