Region license problems

Feel free to go ahead and ask for Help and Support or check out what's already been answered from other customers
noogiepatrol
Just Joined
Just Joined

Region license problems

Post by noogiepatrol » January 8th, 2019, 3:19 am

Hi,
I own an NTSC U unit.
My PSiO freezes every time I’ll try an Japanese game. Some American games even says it’s a Japanese region game which also freezes the unit.
It doesn’t recognize any other regions then NTSC U.
When it freezes, I have to redo the menu installation where you choose music etc.

Even though I have the "region license" set to auto the unit freeze.

Also, for some reason I can't add cover even though I follow the manual. The show up on certain games but not others, really weird.

Is this a bug in the current firmware?

Thanks

NRGDEAD
Lives in the Cybdyn Systems Server
I am a: Noob
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1002

Re: Region license problems

Post by NRGDEAD » January 8th, 2019, 10:48 am

Are your images Redump compatible? If not, how did you create them? Can you try a Redump compatible version, merged via System Console from multi bin to single bin?

What size is your SD card? If it's larger, did you try (re)formatting it on a Windows 10 machine using 1024k cluster size? This helped me seemingly solve the PSIO reset issue; I initially had it formatted via fdisk on Linux.

Jaggy

Post by Jaggy » January 8th, 2019, 3:39 pm

For the cover issue, have you made sure they are all standard .bmp files, 80 x 84 pixels?

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
I am a: Systems Designer

Post by Matt » January 8th, 2019, 4:56 pm

Sounds like a corrupted disc image or one that's been poorly ripped.

noogiepatrol
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by noogiepatrol » January 23rd, 2019, 8:56 am

Jaggy wrote:
January 8th, 2019, 3:39 pm
For the cover issue, have you made sure they are all standard .bmp files, 80 x 84 pixels?
Yes, I downloaded the psio cover pack, which have been converted.

noogiepatrol
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by noogiepatrol » January 23rd, 2019, 9:06 am

NRGDEAD wrote:
January 8th, 2019, 10:48 am
Are your images Redump compatible? If not, how did you create them? Can you try a Redump compatible version, merged via System Console from multi bin to single bin?

What size is your SD card? If it's larger, did you try (re)formatting it on a Windows 10 machine using 1024k cluster size? This helped me seemingly solve the PSIO reset issue; I initially had it formatted via fdisk on Linux.
I actually use an Macbook without an cd drive. So I pretty much downloaded some games from my collection. Even if I bought an USB SuperDrive for my macbook, the converting software is Windows only.

SD card size is 64GB, using a SD-Micro Sandisk Ultra XC 1.

I'm gonna try reformat the card on a friends computer.

NRGDEAD

Post by NRGDEAD » January 23rd, 2019, 10:47 am

noogiepatrol wrote:
January 23rd, 2019, 9:06 am
I actually use an Macbook without an cd drive. So I pretty much downloaded some games from my collection.
At least for the single track games, you can still fairly easily check for Redump compatibility: check the Redump entry for a given game, see if there's only one track, and then compare the MD5 with the file you got. I don't know how fit you are with the terminal, so just in case you never used it before: type "md5 -r " without quotes but with a trailing space, then drag the bin file onto the terminal window. It should then look something like this:

Code: Select all

md5 -r /Users/noogiepatrol/Desktop/Kurushi/Kurushi.bin
Press enter. The process will take a few seconds to complete. Then you'll get the MD5 sum for the file(s) you specified. If it's identical to one of the Redump entries, the Image should run on the PSIO without issue.
noogiepatrol wrote:
the converting software is Windows only
True, but it runs fine under Wine on Linux, as long as I don't trigger a tool tip. Will likely work on Mac as well that way. Or you can try VirtualBox (free) or VMware Fusion (paid) to run a virtualized Windows on your Mac if you have 8 GiB or more of RAM. (Can be done with less but it's a PITA).
noogiepatrol wrote:
Even if I bought an USB SuperDrive for my macbook, the converting software is Windows only.
If you want to change that, I recommend not getting an Apple brand drive. They're overpriced and not too good. My dad has one and it's now tucked away in some drawer because it couldn't even read DVD-RAM. It has been replaced by a cheap 30 bucks generic drive that does the job.
Anyway, if you're into making your own dumps, I suggest getting an old, used Plextor drive with that Ugreen USB adapter as explained on the Redump site. It doesn't look as nice as Apple's solution, but it works really well. I spent about 70 Euros for the Ugreen and a PX-716SA and it works like a charm.

noogiepatrol
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by noogiepatrol » February 13th, 2019, 5:48 am

Well, it seems I’ve figured it out. The cover problem is solved by naming the .bmp files exactly like the .bin.

Like this,
Resident Evil.bin
Resident Evil.bmp
Resident Evil.cu2 (it has to be cu2 for the cover art to show, not cue)

That worked for me.

As for the region problem, I’ve learned to make a proper redump and rips of my own games. I use wine on Mac to make the .cue files to .cu2.

Note that the application freezes on me if I try using the menus in PSIO System Console.

I have to use short commands, ctrl C - convert cue to cu2
Ctrl B - batch image conversion.

Thanks everyone who helped me!

NRGDEAD

Post by NRGDEAD » February 13th, 2019, 8:42 am

The Bitmap file can have any name. Just make sure there is no more than one Bitmap file in a game's directory.

The Cue sheet is ignored either way and both Cue and CU2 sheets have nothing to do with the cover art.

The Wine issue seems to be related to the tool tips. As soon as you hover long enough over an item with a tool tip, it'll lock up. At least on my Linux box.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
I am a: Systems Designer

Post by Matt » February 13th, 2019, 12:28 pm

Seems like it's a bug in Wine like NRGDEAD said. The program is actually running fine and doesn't lockup.