Probably bricked unit after firmware update

Feel free to go ahead and ask for Help and Support or check out what's already been answered from other customers
pulkomandy
Just Joined
Just Joined

Probably bricked unit after firmware update

Post by pulkomandy » December 18th, 2018, 4:27 am

Hi there,

So, I installed my PSIO yesterday. Switchboard installation went fine, then I added the menu to my SD card and got the install procedure to run. No problems so far. I'm using a 32GB SD card, formatedas FAT32 from a 32bit Windows 7 system.

Then, the menu complained that my firmware was out of date. I put the firmware file on the SD card, and got a black screen. I fear I did not wait long enough for the firmware update to proceed and now I have a corrupt ARM firmware (my fault for not reading the manual before attempting the firmware update, I expected some feedback during the update process).

Anyway, current status:
- With PSIO cartridge disconnected: boots to PlayStation menu (did not try with a disc, but I'm not even sure the optical block is still able to read discs anyway)
- With PSIO connected, no SD card: black screen with "PSIO" logo in the middle
- With PSIO connected, SD card with menu: Playstation BIOS orange square logo, but I never get any further.

Can I do something to fix this and get things running again?

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
I am a: Systems Designer

Re: Probably bricked unit after firmware update

Post by Matt » December 18th, 2018, 4:41 am

Did you put both firmware files (ARM and FPGA) on the SD Card?

pulkomandy
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by pulkomandy » December 18th, 2018, 5:46 am

At first I had only the ARM firmware. I tried later with both, but since I was stuck on the orange square screen I don't think the updates were applied?

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » December 27th, 2018, 3:47 pm

Rename the ARM Firmware from "FIRMWARE.AFW" to "RECOVERY.BIN" and put that on the SD Card. Power on your PlayStation and see if it fixed the problem :)

pulkomandy
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by pulkomandy » December 28th, 2018, 4:04 am

Hi,

SD card with Menu and RECOVERY.BIN gets me to the playstation boot screen (white with orange square) and then nothing happens. So the SD card content does not seem to make much difference.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » December 30th, 2018, 8:45 pm

Probably bricked your cartridge then. You'll have to send it in for repair.

pulkomandy
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by pulkomandy » January 3rd, 2019, 8:18 am

That's not so nice. Sorry for adding extra work for you :(

What's the process for sending it back?

Could I reflash it myself using JTAG or something? Or do you keep info on that confidential?

mattyv316
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by mattyv316 » January 3rd, 2019, 11:18 am

Hello and sorry to piggyback on this post, but thought it might be better than having 2 posts for the same problem. If you want me to make another post, just say so.

I am having the same issue where I installed the switch board and was able to get through the updates and setup on the first run. I would think that meant the switch board is installed correctly.
After the update, it told me to delete the update files, so I did. Since then, I only get the white sony boot screen and never goes past that. The yellow LED never flashes and the RECOVERY.BIN trick doesn't help. I also tried the start + select on boot trick too, but nothing seems to reflash or reset the PSIO. Please let me know if you have anything else I can try

mattyv316
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by mattyv316 » January 5th, 2019, 7:12 am

Bump...
Does anyone have any other suggestions that I can try? Any help is greatly appreciated

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » January 8th, 2019, 5:02 pm

Sounds like they are indeed corrupted. You can find our address under the 'My Account' page on our website. Just pack up your PSIO Cartridge in the original box and be sure to write your Order ID on a sheet of paper inside the package and send it to us. We'll take it from there.

Please read the 'Terms and Conditions' though if you haven't because if the cartridge isn't faulty and it works for us, then you'll need to pay the return shipping. If it is faulty, then don't worry, we'll cover it because we're at fault :)

pulkomandy
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by pulkomandy » January 13th, 2019, 4:20 am

Hi,
I thought I would rather do a last check-up before sending it and... of course you can guess what happened, I found a loose wire in my switchboard install. I fixed that and now everything is working again.

I should have reviewed this more carefully before testing...

Thanks for your support!