V2.6.29 progress

Generic Customer Feedback, Content and Reviews based directly on PSIO
bikerspade
Seriously Active at Cybdyn Systems
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1001

V2.6.29 progress

Post by bikerspade » September 7th, 2021, 1:44 am

How close are we to the public release of the next version? I’m not in the beta group, so I’m curious what are the outstanding hurdles in the WIP update version before it becomes worthy of release to the public. Is it reasonable to expect it to be released before the end of 2021?

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
I am a: Systems Designer
PlayStation Model: H2700/5502

Re: V2.6.29 progress

Post by Matt » September 7th, 2021, 2:04 am

bikerspade wrote: September 7th, 2021, 1:44 am How close are we to the public release of the next version? I’m not in the beta group, so I’m curious what are the outstanding hurdles in the WIP update version before it becomes worthy of release to the public. Is it reasonable to expect it to be released before the end of 2021?
Should be ready for the end of 2021.

Takehaniyasubiko
/// CYBDYN SYSTEMS ELITE ///
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1002

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » September 7th, 2021, 6:24 am

Will V2.6.29 include fixes for Wipeout XL and Crisis Beat?
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, an afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four, five times more, perhaps not even that."
- Paul Bowles

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » September 7th, 2021, 3:59 pm

Takehaniyasubiko wrote: September 7th, 2021, 6:24 am Will V2.6.29 include fixes for Wipeout XL and Crisis Beat?
They should, if not they will be in the next update which will be released very quickly (within weeks) :)

AMG13
PlayStation Model: SCPH-7002

Post by AMG13 » September 13th, 2021, 6:35 pm

came across an interesting comparison PSIO vs XStation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrlP0v8 ... ex=13&t=3s

bikerspade

Post by bikerspade » September 13th, 2021, 11:54 pm

I love the UI of the PSIO. When I tried using Xstation with composite video on a CRT, the game list was very difficult to read. I sold the XStation and kept the PSIO. That being said, this and the comparison video are off-topic here.

AMG13
PlayStation Model: SCPH-7002

Post by AMG13 » September 14th, 2021, 1:25 am

I also like the interface (a matter of taste) and I also like the concept of the cartridge, I also like the declared characteristics of the PSIO (what bribed me).
This video may be off-topic, but it shows that the competitive ODE has not stood still all this time. (I wish PSIO didn't stand still)
On CRT, did not test competitive ODE. My clients who bring their PS1 to install Xstation also order PS1Digital installation, so it never occurred to me to check it on CRT TV, although on LCD on composite, there is no problem reading the list of games. (But it will be interesting for me to test this, already with the next client).

poopman
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by poopman » September 15th, 2021, 5:04 pm

I am considering selling my PSIO if there's not an update soon. There has been no update at all this year.

cyatta
PlayStation Model: SCPH-7501

Post by cyatta » September 15th, 2021, 11:06 pm

poopman wrote: September 15th, 2021, 5:04 pm I am considering selling my PSIO if there's not an update soon. There has been no update at all this year.
Just saying, if this reads like a threat, I’m not sure selling the device you’ve already paid for carries the sort of weight you may think it does.

I haven’t seen any evidence to support the idea that an update is not going to come. Matt’s very active and receptive to feedback on these forums.

I’ve bought ODE/Flash carts with substantially less support than what’s offered here.

Given the experiences other users have shared here with the different PS1 ODE solutions, the PlayStation seems like it has a little more complexity.

I think it’s easy to look at other systems like DC and Saturn running stuff flawlessly with little need for firmware updates and tweaking and expect the same for everything. But it’s different. Just gonna need a lil patience.

Giuliano

Post by Giuliano » September 16th, 2021, 3:45 am

put pressure on, only gets in the way or makes the situation worse, better to wait to have a quality update that leaves everything working fine, than to run and have something that generates other problems that didn't have time to be tested. ..

aandrewlz88
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by aandrewlz88 » September 17th, 2021, 1:59 am

I'm very disappointed to see that PSIO updates have stopped because the devs are too busy designing yet more DRM in a futile effort to stay ahead of hardware clones. While they waste time making their product even more cumbersome for paying customers, their competition continues to surpass them.

Retrorunner

Post by Retrorunner » September 17th, 2021, 6:27 pm

Its understandable to implement DRM from the dev side but for customers that makes no difference. At least not in the usage of the PSIO cartridge and the features. Therefore customers should not wait (much) longer because of DRM. If the PSIO team does not have the financial resources to split the development in DRM and PSIO features simultaneously than the customer should not "suffer" from it.IMo. So it is absolutely understandable why customers are not happy about the situation despite the communication about the update from Matts side.
Given the experiences other users have shared here with the different PS1 ODE solutions, the PlayStation seems like it has a little more complexity.
Other ODEs does have overall better games compatibility. There is no doubt about it. From thechnical but also practical standpoint. You might not effected by that depending the games you play.
Last edited by Retrorunner on September 18th, 2021, 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

lynxtosg

Post by lynxtosg » September 18th, 2021, 2:58 am

I'm satisfied with the PSIO in its current state but I would like to see more features, especially save management and better SD card usage/compatibility, over DRM. I understand why it's being done, but don't like it. This experience will impact my purchasing decisions on future cybdyn products.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » September 18th, 2021, 10:31 am

The DRM is actually being improved. The current method is annoying. You guys can do whatever you wish however - it's your device which you own at the end of the day :)

lynxtosg

Post by lynxtosg » September 19th, 2021, 11:45 am

Matt wrote: September 18th, 2021, 10:31 am The DRM is actually being improved. The current method is annoying. You guys can do whatever you wish however - it's your device which you own at the end of the day :)
Annoying for who? Your users don't care one iota about DRM but it seems to be the main reason features people want have been halted. I get it, I just don't like it. It's easy to say "do what you wish" on your forum where everyone has already invested in a PSIO. Time and money are in short supply for most. Making that claim on a RetroRGB, Castlemania, StoneAgeGamer, etc platform might be harder.

I look forward to your next release. I hope it comes before the new year.

aandrewlz88
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by aandrewlz88 » September 20th, 2021, 12:50 am

Matt wrote: September 18th, 2021, 10:31 am The DRM is actually being improved. The current method is annoying. You guys can do whatever you wish however - it's your device which you own at the end of the day :)
Improved in what way? Do you have any details? It would have to be a hell of an improvement to justify waiting almost a year for bug fixes and feature updates. I mean installing new firmware now takes less than five minutes, stack that up against the hours and hours I would spent playing games, I think it's clear which one is vastly more important on my end.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » September 20th, 2021, 9:36 am

aandrewlz88 wrote: September 20th, 2021, 12:50 am
Improved in what way? Do you have any details? It would have to be a hell of an improvement to justify waiting almost a year for bug fixes and feature updates. I mean installing new firmware now takes less than five minutes, stack that up against the hours and hours I would spent playing games, I think it's clear which one is vastly more important on my end.
Please tell me in all those hours of playing, were there any games you had problems with in particular?

bikerspade

Post by bikerspade » September 20th, 2021, 10:34 am

I can say I have put in over 60 hours into Final Fantasy VIII, and haven't experienced a single issue with it.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » September 20th, 2021, 11:53 am

Exactly. The update we're working on only fixes a few minor bugs but the main critical part of it is the new features. The current public firmware is quite stable so there was no rush to get a new update out. I feel that people are so used to getting updates on their phones and computers that it's almost like an endorphin release whenever you see an update is available.

Anyway like I said, we're working on the update and the ETA is either by the end of December or early January.

paulkakanis
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems
I am a: Gamer
PlayStation Model: SPCH 1001

Post by paulkakanis » September 20th, 2021, 2:19 pm

I've been playing a ton of games the past few months and haven't run into any problems either.
I might be in the minority with what I want from the PSIO: to play games without needing to use a cd. Full stop. I play on real hardware and a CRT using composite cables because I want to relive what it was like for me in the 90s. Just for me, all these extra features take me away from the core of the experience. I use a GameShark occasionally, OEM controllers, real memory cards, etc. If I wanted super fancy features I'd get a Raspberry Pi or mod a PS Classic or etc.
So Matt adding all those features is great, but getting the games running well was all I ever wanted. And I have that.
But I'm a weirdo. 😏
All that rambling to say, with pretty much all games running well, I don't understand some of the anger about a lack of updates. For most ODEs I use once the firmware works out the trouble spots in games that's the ballgame. Rhea, Gdemu, Everdrives, etc. Games work? Yeah we're pretty much done here.
Wanting updates for new features you're interested in I understand, but threatening to sell your device and such feels unwarranted.
I will state again: just my dumbass opinion.
Unless Matt is just working on PSIO once a week for an hour while cashing his massive royalty checks and partying with supermodels on Yuri's yacht. Then FOR SHAME!