[Release] PS1 PSIO Theme Creator v0.3b

Generic Customer Feedback, Content and Reviews based directly on PSIO
RazorX
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems
I am a: Amateur Developer

[Release] PS1 PSIO Theme Creator v0.3b

Post by RazorX » June 29th, 2020, 6:43 pm

Hey guys here is another app i've put together for the PSIO scene, This app makes it really easy to make your own theme and is for those who don't have experience making there own images via software such as photoshop or for those who just want to be able to throw something together very quickly and easily.

Normal Version:

Mini Version:

Preview:

How to use this:
* Add your background image you want to use to the Images folder. (Note: this app will stretch the image to fit so a 4:3 image is best)
* Launch the app.
* Select the background image you want to use then select the template you want which creates the overlay.
* Click save, This will automatically create a folder in 'Wallpaper' named the same as the background image then you will see a save screen and at this point you can just click save and it will add a 'wallpaper.bmp' file in the folder mentioned above. (This file will be a 320x256 24-Bit BMP image)

Notes:
* I've set this up in such a way that will allow you to create your own templates if you like and add them to the 'Images\Layouts' folder and the app will see them when you load it up.
* Added refresh button so you don't need to reload the apps for new images/layouts to show up.
* Made the last few tweaks to the NTSC layouts to make them line up even better.
* Added a new layout that makes the games area and news area more transparent.
* Fixed issue with it not saving which template you picked when switching regions.
* Included my GIMP2 saves for you to use to make your own layouts for PAL and NTSC.

Download:
PS1 PSIO Theme Creator v0.3b By RazorX.7z
PS1 PSIO Theme Creator Mini v0.3b By RazorX.7z

Updated:
03/07/2020
Last edited by RazorX on July 4th, 2020, 8:55 am, edited 12 times in total.

NRGDEAD
/// CYBDYN SYSTEMS ELITE ///
I am a: Noob
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1002

Re: [Release] PS1 PSIO Theme Creator

Post by NRGDEAD » June 29th, 2020, 7:44 pm

That's pretty cool. Can it switch between NTSC and PAL layout via the templates?
Cue2cu2: A Python script for creating CU2 sheets via the command line on Linux/Mac/Windows.
GitHub / Forum

PSIO wallpaper template in Photoshop format.

RazorX
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by RazorX » June 29th, 2020, 8:27 pm

NRGDEAD wrote:
June 29th, 2020, 7:44 pm
That's pretty cool. Can it switch between NTSC and PAL layout via the templates?
didn't know there was much difference, i'll take a look and see what i can do.
can you tell me exactly what the difference is and it should be easy to sort.

NRGDEAD
I am a: Noob

Post by NRGDEAD » June 29th, 2020, 8:39 pm

Check out the wallpaper template linked in my signature. Presuming you have Photoshop or Gimp. There's a menu example layer for each standard.
To be universal, I simply made it fade out to the bottom, so it looks alright-ish on either resolution.
Cue2cu2: A Python script for creating CU2 sheets via the command line on Linux/Mac/Windows.
GitHub / Forum

PSIO wallpaper template in Photoshop format.

RazorX
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by RazorX » June 29th, 2020, 8:42 pm

NRGDEAD wrote:
June 29th, 2020, 8:39 pm
Check out the wallpaper template linked in my signature. Presuming you have Photoshop or Gimp. There's a menu example layer for each standard.
To be universal, I simply made it fade out to the bottom, so it looks alright-ish on either resolution.
thanks, i can see the difference now that i've switched the region.
it will be easy to add that, i'll do it now.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
I am a: Systems Designer
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502

Post by Matt » June 29th, 2020, 11:47 pm

Pretty cool :)

If you want to send me the source in private, I can add it to the Systems Console program and give credit to you. This way more people know about it and will use your program more because it will be built-in.

sosafire
Seriously Active at Cybdyn Systems
PlayStation Model: SCPH-7502

Re: [Release] PS1 PSIO Theme Creator v0.2

Post by sosafire » June 30th, 2020, 9:04 am

Really nice as an app! Congratulations to you !

RazorX
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Re: [Release] PS1 PSIO Theme Creator v0.3

Post by RazorX » July 2nd, 2020, 12:13 am

updated the ntsc and pal templates, the ntsc templates were slightly off so I've corrected it and somewhere along the lines the template colours changed slightly so I've corrected them and there black now.

now it looks like this:

RazorX
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by RazorX » July 2nd, 2020, 12:59 am

ok so it turns out the issue with the wallpaper as far as what i thought was the layout being slightly off was actually the image settings on my application itself so i have reuploaded the app as v0.3 and it now saves the wallpaper.bmp Interpolation as Nearest Neighbor.
this means you will now get a better quality wallpaper.bmp when saved, it will of course still be the correct resolution as well as 24bit color depth.

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » July 2nd, 2020, 1:07 am

RazorX wrote:
July 2nd, 2020, 12:59 am
it now saves the wallpaper.bmp Interpolation as Nearest Neighbor.
Nearest neighbor?

That's the fastest method, but it just takes a rounded value of the expected position. It results in many jagged edges in most cases. Keeping image quality in mind, shouldn't there be options for Bilinear interpolation, Trilinear interpolation, Cubic interpolation, and maybe even Lanczos Interpolation? Each options has its merits, depending on the image being worked on.
Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, an afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four, five times more, perhaps not even that.
― Paul Bowles

RazorX
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by RazorX » July 2nd, 2020, 1:15 am

Takehaniyasubiko wrote:
July 2nd, 2020, 1:07 am
RazorX wrote:
July 2nd, 2020, 12:59 am
it now saves the wallpaper.bmp Interpolation as Nearest Neighbor.
Nearest neighbor?

That's the fastest method, but it just takes a rounded value of the expected position. It results in many jagged edges in most cases. Keeping image quality in mind, shouldn't there be options for Bilinear interpolation, Trilinear interpolation, Cubic interpolation, and maybe even Lanczos Interpolation? Each options has its merits, depending on the image being worked on.
bare in mind we are only dealing with an image that's 320x256
i'll tell you want i'll do, i will see if i can add a dropdown box so you can choose the quality :D

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » July 2nd, 2020, 1:17 am

RazorX wrote:
July 2nd, 2020, 1:15 am
I know, that's what I thought myself at first. However, after dealing with a lot of different image types, I realized that even at 240p interpolation makes a big difference in many cases. I remember doing a wallpaper with a custom anime artwork which had rays of neon light. With NB interpolation, the rays were extremely jagged. Using Lanczos3 actually made it better.

Here's a good summary:
None (nearest-neighbor): Use when you want absolutely no sampling (blurring) of the image.

Linear: Use when you have very small text; cubic interpolation is usually better otherwise. This produces blurred, but jagged, edges.

Cubic: Use for most images. Unless the image is very small or incredibly detailed, cubic and bicubic interpolation helps keep edges smooth. According to Wikipedia, it can sometimes increase perceived contrast or cause artifacts.

Lanczos: This interpolation method is much like cubic except that instead of blurring, it creates a "ringing" pattern. The benefit is that it can handle detailed graphics without blurring like the cubic filters.
source: https://graphicdesign.stackexchange.com ... n-in-image
Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, an afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four, five times more, perhaps not even that.
― Paul Bowles

RazorX
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Re: [Release] PS1 PSIO Theme Creator v0.3a

Post by RazorX » July 2nd, 2020, 1:59 am

Takehaniyasubiko wrote:
July 2nd, 2020, 1:17 am
RazorX wrote:
July 2nd, 2020, 1:15 am
I know, that's what I thought myself at first. However, after dealing with a lot of different image types, I realized that even at 240p interpolation makes a big difference in many cases. I remember doing a wallpaper with a custom anime artwork which had rays of neon light. With NB interpolation, the rays were extremely jagged. Using Lanczos3 actually made it better.

Here's a good summary:
None (nearest-neighbor): Use when you want absolutely no sampling (blurring) of the image.

Linear: Use when you have very small text; cubic interpolation is usually better otherwise. This produces blurred, but jagged, edges.

Cubic: Use for most images. Unless the image is very small or incredibly detailed, cubic and bicubic interpolation helps keep edges smooth. According to Wikipedia, it can sometimes increase perceived contrast or cause artifacts.

Lanczos: This interpolation method is much like cubic except that instead of blurring, it creates a "ringing" pattern. The benefit is that it can handle detailed graphics without blurring like the cubic filters.
source: https://graphicdesign.stackexchange.com ... n-in-image
it doesn't matter now lol, i've added the option for you to decide which is better for you :D

it will save which ever quality setting you pick on exit as well as when switching region.

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » July 2nd, 2020, 2:02 am

Thanks, RazorX.

All of those options are useful. I recommend people to experiment with each wallpaper to find the optimal interpolation method.
― Paul Bowles

RazorX
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by RazorX » July 2nd, 2020, 2:06 am

Takehaniyasubiko wrote:
July 2nd, 2020, 2:02 am
Thanks, RazorX.

All of those options are useful. I recommend people to experiment with each wallpaper to find the optimal interpolation method.
np, i've checked a few of them and personally find nearest neighbour produces the better wallpaper but feel free to try it out.

Listai
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by Listai » July 2nd, 2020, 2:59 pm

Amazing work! I can't wait to muck around with this.

RazorX
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by RazorX » July 2nd, 2020, 8:56 pm

Listai wrote:
July 2nd, 2020, 2:59 pm
Amazing work! I can't wait to muck around with this.
thank you

sosafire
PlayStation Model: SCPH-7502

Post by sosafire » July 3rd, 2020, 9:05 am

I see that you have made an update of the application!

Will it be possible to make an additional option among the 15 other selections of customizations with the main background much less smoked than what is in the options ?
Sometimes it can spoil an image that you want to highlight, you see box number 8 is very good except be the main frame less smoked like the small frames at the top and bottom obviously if you make other updates day!
In any case thank you very much for this gift that we all adhere very quickly!

We take the game to find its best wallpaper for our PS! ^^

RazorX
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by RazorX » July 3rd, 2020, 6:19 pm

sosafire wrote:
July 3rd, 2020, 9:05 am
I see that you have made an update of the application!

Will it be possible to make an additional option among the 15 other selections of customizations with the main background much less smoked than what is in the options ?
Sometimes it can spoil an image that you want to highlight, you see box number 8 is very good except be the main frame less smoked like the small frames at the top and bottom obviously if you make other updates day!
In any case thank you very much for this gift that we all adhere very quickly!

We take the game to find its best wallpaper for our PS! ^^
i've set it up so you can easily make your own templates and just stick them in the appropriate folder and when you launch the app they will just show up :)

RazorX
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Re: [Release] PS1 PSIO Theme Creator v0.3b

Post by RazorX » July 3rd, 2020, 7:34 pm

updated app most likely for the last time unless an issue or a good suggestion comes up
Last edited by RazorX on July 4th, 2020, 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.