Official PSIO News and Development Thread

Official Development, Research, Bug Fixes and Progress directly from Cybdyn Systems
Matt
Cybdyn Systems
Cybdyn Systems
I am a: Systems Designer

Re: Official PSIO News and Development Thread

Post by Matt » March 14th, 2018, 6:41 pm

Vib Ribbon can be fixed, but we need to add a wire from the SPU to PSIO so we can monitor the signal and intercept it. However, if we create a patch for it then this won't be required.

Yes, the problem is that programmers back in the day for the PlayStation also used to depend on the bugs in the hardware. PSIO must replicate these at the CD-ROM level or else (as we can see) some games struggle to function correctly. We will get to the 100% compatibility mark though. I know we will :)

Apsley Garrard
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1002

Post by Apsley Garrard » March 14th, 2018, 9:27 pm

Takehaniyasubiko wrote:
March 14th, 2018, 6:31 am

That's what I'm hoping for, but I'm scared of issues which might end up unresolvable, like the Vib Ribbon's SPU registers access. :crying
I think it's only a matter of time. These guys have proven to be capable enough, despite all the criticism they've received. They just need time and people helping report bugs and issues.

My only hope is that they get the mass production ready soon. Firstly, because I am in the december preorders and I want it NOW :D And secondly, because I would love to see them succeed and earn a shitload of money, because come on, one of the consoles with most sales ever, with so many failing lasers? You just need to see for how much PSIOs are being sold on eBay to know how much demand there is for this device.

Takehaniyasubiko
Interested in PSXDEV
Interested in PSXDEV

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » March 14th, 2018, 9:31 pm

Demand is there in general for old consoles. However, these devices must be really ready for mass production or else you will have a flooding of pissed off gamers. I do have hopes for PSIO, but at the same time I'm worried because every mod ends up with some compatibility issues and this is basically a mod. The software problems can be fixed. The hardware ones, however, cannot be fixed without changing the design and that would leave a lot of people hanging out to dry.
Yes, the problem is that programmers back in the day for the PlayStation also used to depend on the bugs in the hardware. PSIO must replicate these at the CD-ROM level or else (as we can see) some games struggle to function correctly. We will get to the 100% compatibility mark though.
This, except we call them bugs now and they called them "features" back in the day. If you can really get to the 100% compatibility mark, then PSIO will be a real life saver for all PS1 fans out there. We really can't rely on those lasers anymore. Personally, I'm buying PSIO as soon as I have some disposable income again. I like the community here and I'm glad the devs are so open and humble. Unlike the ODEs creator who is a real pain in the ass to even talk to.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems
Cybdyn Systems

Post by Matt » March 15th, 2018, 2:17 am

After several hours of debugging, I found the reason why 'Formula 1 98' wasn't booting. The problem relates to the CNF parser logic. This will be fixed in the next Menu System update (>V2.6.0). For some odd reason, Psygnosis added a whole bunch of tabs (ASCII 09h) to the SYSTEM.CNF sheet and it wasn't even booting the PS-EXE correctly via the 'Load' and 'Exec' routines.

Takehaniyasubiko
Interested in PSXDEV
Interested in PSXDEV

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » March 15th, 2018, 3:24 am

Matt wrote:
March 15th, 2018, 2:17 am
After several hours of debugging, I found the reason why 'Formula 1 98' wasn't booting. The problem relates to the CNF parser logic. This will be fixed in the next Menu System update (>V2.6.0). For some odd reason, Psygnosis added a whole bunch of tabs (ASCII 09h) to the SYSTEM.CNF sheet and it wasn't even booting the PS-EXE correctly via the 'Load' and 'Exec' routines.
Great. :clap

At least this one simply didn't boot. It's the worst when a game boots, but does something weird during gameplay. Those are what I fear. I remember there was a time people marked PS2 games as compatible with OPL simply because they could boot and play the early segments. For example, for years Onimusha 2 was broken. It not only booted, but played until the end, but it was broken nonetheless because it had performance issues during screen transitions. People just marked it as working for years, but then in turned out there was a bug in OPL and the performance issues were all gone once that was fixed. :roll:

fille1976
Active around PSXDEV
Active around PSXDEV

Post by fille1976 » March 16th, 2018, 4:19 am

thx matt,will try more games,but don't have the time now.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems
Cybdyn Systems

Post by Matt » March 18th, 2018, 8:11 pm

Systems Manual updated to R2.9.

krisk77
Curious about PSXDEV
Curious about PSXDEV

Post by krisk77 » March 18th, 2018, 8:24 pm

Hey Matt,

Old switch boards from about a year ago would still be compatible with the new batches of PSIO boards?

I have a couple of switch boards to use and just wanted to clarify that newer switch boards won't be needed instead because of the PSIO new revision.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems
Cybdyn Systems

Post by Matt » March 18th, 2018, 8:38 pm

Yes, they will work fine. The only difference with the new version is that we added a diode for reverse polarity protection :)

NRGDEAD
Interested in PSXDEV
Interested in PSXDEV

Post by NRGDEAD » March 20th, 2018, 12:01 am

When was this diode added? I ordered an additional switch board, presuming it would just arrive along with the PSIO once mass production started. But it was sent right away in I think September or something. ;-)
I still haven't unwrapped it, as it's basically a spare just in case I ever get a second PSX. ;-)

Matt
Cybdyn Systems
Cybdyn Systems

Post by Matt » March 20th, 2018, 2:11 am

It was added this year, so you would have the version without it. It's only there for reverse polarity protection in case you wire the VCC and GND backwards. So just don't mix up the wires and you'll be fine :)

Matt
Cybdyn Systems
Cybdyn Systems

Post by Matt » March 25th, 2018, 2:18 pm

Systems Manual updated to R3.0.

Attachments
25_MAR_2018_02_22_52_86.PNG
(152.87 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Matt
Cybdyn Systems
Cybdyn Systems

Post by Matt » March 26th, 2018, 3:00 pm

Pre-orders for March are now open! Be sure to get in whilst we have it open!! If you miss out, don't worry, we will have more PSIO Cartridge available later this year.

Why have we opened pre-orders even though we are still assembling the first batch from July last year? Well, simply put, we require more funding to stock up on more cartridges so we can have a reserve later on. We would like to do this now whilst we are assembling the current batch so we can assemble ahead of schedule and catch up on our timeframe.

kikujade
Active around PSXDEV
Active around PSXDEV

Post by kikujade » March 28th, 2018, 10:25 am

Matt wrote:
March 26th, 2018, 3:00 pm
Pre-orders for March are now open! Be sure to get in whilst we have it open!! If you miss out, don't worry, we will have more PSIO Cartridge available later this year.

Why have we opened pre-orders even though we are still assembling the first batch from July last year? Well, simply put, we require more funding to stock up on more cartridges so we can have a reserve later on. We would like to do this now whilst we are assembling the current batch so we can assemble ahead of schedule and catch up on our timeframe.
Catching up sounds nice, I like that.

I hope I helped with a few sales, I went ahead and spread the word on retro gaming groups on Facebook, hoping to help speed things up for you.

Twitter seems like a lost case though, as bob from retrorgb is off the scene. Maybe if a famous retro site retweeted you or something.

Btw you mentioned making an alliance with stone age gamer, did that ever work out?
PS4s: CUH-2015A
Xbox360s: Corona
Xbox: Xcalibur 1.6
PS3s: CECH-2511A
PS2s: V6/SCPH-30001R, V7/SCPH-39001, V9/SCPH-50001
PS1s: SCPH-7501, SCPH-5501(3), SCPH-9001
Saturns: HST-0001 VA0
Gens: Genesis 2 VA3 (3)
Wiis: RVL-CPU-01
N64s: NUS-CPU-05, NUS-CPU-02
Snes: SHVC-CPU-01, SNS-CPU-GPM-01(2), SNS-CPU-GPM-02, SNS-CPU-1CHIP-01
Nes: AVS NES v2

Matt
Cybdyn Systems
Cybdyn Systems

Post by Matt » March 28th, 2018, 11:58 am

We haven't actually started marketing PSIO yet, but we'll do that once we have stock available since we don't want to keep doing pre-orders. All the funding we have received has been going straight back into the business so we can keep it alive.

We are partnering up with 'Stone Age Gamer', but it wont be until we have stock on hand which will be after the pre-orders are all done. At the same time that happens, we will also be open all day everyday since we'll have stock on hand pre-assembled :)

kabantus
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by kabantus » March 29th, 2018, 1:00 am

Hello.
I received a password for pre-ordering the PSIO.
But where to enter it?
There is no password field on the product page (for pre-order).

H2K
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by H2K » March 29th, 2018, 6:13 am

Hi there, i have been watching PSIO development for quite a while now, i discovered it from Krikzz everdrive forum about 2 years ago, but now i finally preordered PSIO also, can't wait it to arrive. At the moment i don't have a PSX console, im kinda confused about it, i read about the versions. Im looking maybe SCPH-7502 B version. Im from europe, so i think it's not wise to but NTSC console I hope SD card save function comes also.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems
Cybdyn Systems

Post by Matt » March 29th, 2018, 11:03 am

kabantus wrote:
March 29th, 2018, 1:00 am
Hello.
I received a password for pre-ordering the PSIO.
But where to enter it?
There is no password field on the product page (for pre-order).
We removed the password option for now so we can get pre-orders in quicker from everyone. Fell free to purchase one now whilst they're available :)

H2K wrote:
March 29th, 2018, 6:13 am
Hi there, i have been watching PSIO development for quite a while now, i discovered it from Krikzz everdrive forum about 2 years ago, but now i finally preordered PSIO also, can't wait it to arrive. At the moment i don't have a PSX console, im kinda confused about it, i read about the versions. Im looking maybe SCPH-7502 B version. Im from europe, so i think it's not wise to but NTSC console I hope SD card save function comes also.
Yes, if you're from Europe, get a PAL console and make sure the power supply is rated the same voltage for your country. There is no save function for the SD Card at the moment, but we'll be working on adding such a thing later on in PSIO's development.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems
Cybdyn Systems

Post by Matt » April 2nd, 2018, 2:44 pm

Almost ready for shipment! :)

Attachments
psio-open-view-medium.jpg
(169.75 KiB) Not downloaded yet
psio-showcase-large_blur.jpg
(386.81 KiB) Not downloaded yet

MateriaMind
Lives in the PSXDEV Server
Lives in the PSXDEV Server
I am a: Nurse
PlayStation Model: SCPH-5501

Post by MateriaMind » April 2nd, 2018, 10:41 pm

You guys have really outdone yourselves!!! I am more than impressed. As soon as time frees up on my end I'll start testing again. I've been waiting on the sidelines also in part to wait until further firmware updates started coming out which in turn has been happening. I'll be back in the saddle again here soon!!! 8-)
"What is a man?!? A miserable little pile of secrets!"