Lives in the PSXDEV Server
PlayStation Model: SCPH-5501

Re: Game testing group

Post by zredgemz » October 27th, 2016, 10:02 am

Games that currently have issues on current firmware
ARM Firmware: V2.2.240
FPGA Firmware: PATV 31/10/2015
Menu System: V1.2.3

1.diablo (NTSC) [movies have audio sync issues but normal gameplay works as intended]

2.warcraft2 (NTSC) [during mission briefings the game freezes temporarily but will continue with audio sync issues for the voice of the commander giving mission details, you can skip the briefings and the normal gameplay seems to work fine(have not finished the whole game yet)]

3.parasite eve 2 (NTSC) [Locks up during the street intro not long after starting]

4.Gauntlet Legends (NTSC) [Locks up when trying to save or going to the game menu from pause]

5.Space Hulk: Vengeance of the Blood Angels (NTSC) [Has audio problems]

6.Tempest X3 (NTSC) [Freezes at the “Tempest X” screen]

7.Thousand Arms (NTSC) [Has random mini freezing that happens during random battles on the world map and in town] I am still looking for other bugs on this game.

8. 007 The World Is Not Enough (NTSC) [audio issues during mission briefings]

9.Clock tower (NTSC) [Audio issues during the opening movie, audio issues seem to occur during gameplay movies with spoken dialog as well.]

10.Final Fantasy VIII (NTSC) [Intro FMV Skips]

11.Ninja shadow of darkness (NTSC) [random slowdowns and mini freezing, audio sync issue with the first boss cut scene]

12.Nightmare Creatures II (NTSC) [Random mini freezing]

13.Road Rash 3D (NTSC) [freezing during races]

14.Road Rash Jailbreak (NTSC) [ Freezing while trying to restart a race while in a race and sometimes a cd error screen pops up]

15.LiberoGrande (PAL) [Game has no sound at intro and freezes when you press start or when the intro finish.]

16.Tomba! 2 The Evil Swine Return (NTSC) [Music issues start shortly once you put out the fire and save the golden crab in the begining of the game.]
List updated as of 9:30pm est time 10/28/16
Back to testing.
Last edited by zredgemz on October 29th, 2016, 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aloram

Post by aloram » October 27th, 2016, 9:17 pm

Thanks for doing this.

I have a question about your experience with Diablo. You stated that, other than issues with the movies, the game works fine, but the official compatibility list states, "When loading occurs, the game freezes." Which is correct?

zredgemz

Post by zredgemz » October 28th, 2016, 3:26 am

Mine is, the loading thing never has once occured during my many playthroughs, my guess is the list was never updated after updates. Maybe the game did not work before on an earlyer firmware or someone made a mistake but i can assure you it does work. It has the stated issues i added but a full playthrough is possible and has been done. I have atleast 30 plus hours clocked in on the current firmware for this one game.

I got another bunch of games set up to test tonight so i will keep on trucking. I should also put out a list of games that work correctly too at somepoint, while i have found games that have issues i have been through a lot to find them.

aloram

Post by aloram » October 28th, 2016, 4:36 am

zredgemz wrote:Mine is, the loading thing never has once occured during my many playthroughs, my guess is the list was never updated after updates. Maybe the game did not work before on an earlyer firmware or someone made a mistake but i can assure you it does work. It has the stated issues i added but a full playthrough is possible and has been done. I have atleast 30 plus hours clocked in on the current firmware for this one game.

I got another bunch of games set up to test tonight so i will keep on trucking. I should also put out a list of games that work correctly too at somepoint, while i have found games that have issues i have been through a lot to find them.
Thanks for the explanation, and thanks for working to make the PSIO even better.

MateriaMind
I am a: Nurse

Post by MateriaMind » October 28th, 2016, 5:46 am

If there is a new firmware being made from scratch for PSIO, is there really a point to testing out the existing firmware as it won't be supported for much longer if at all period???
"What is a man?!? A miserable little pile of secrets!"

MateriaMind
I am a: Nurse

Post by MateriaMind » October 28th, 2016, 5:49 am

To further- I just hate for eveyone to waste their time doing compatibility checks and then a completely new code system be implemented and start all over again?!?
"What is a man?!? A miserable little pile of secrets!"

zredgemz

Post by zredgemz » October 28th, 2016, 5:54 am

MateriaMind wrote:If there is a new firmware being made from scratch for PSIO, is there really a point to testing out the existing firmware as it won't be supported for much longer if at all period???
zredgemz wrote:I am making a list with the current firmware, since shadow is redoing everything from scratch if possible i would like all the found problems we find to be wiped out before the release of the next firmware. Since there are only so many hours i can give a day, it would be impossible to finish 1000+ games so the easy method would be an hour test on each game to check for major problems.

I have been finishing some games from start to finish but i will do this in a very biased way, games i like before the sports filler. TLDR version, any help towards making a somewhat complete masterlist with the current firmware is the goal since it will likely take a few months before we see a new update and a update with better compatibility then is currently available is the goal.
Last edited by zredgemz on October 28th, 2016, 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

zredgemz

Post by zredgemz » October 28th, 2016, 5:57 am

MateriaMind wrote:To further- I just hate for eveyone to waste their time doing compatibility checks and then a completely new code system be implemented and start all over again?!?
Even after a new update comes out we would have to retest all of the problem games to see if they were fixed and to check if the update broken anything in games that work already. I assure you it is not a waste of time since the goal benefits everyone who has a unit and will benefit future customers.

Granted you are right it will be a new system, i am sure shadow will use what he has learned to not make the same mistakes but if anything a list of games with issues is a good baseline to compare with the upcoming firmware.
The list i am making is also being reported into the new bug check system shadow is using for the upcoming firmware.

Edit: before this weekend i will also put out a list of games that work correctly and seem to work correctly.(they may or may not but i have not yet fully finished yet to make sure)

Creating a baseline of what works and does not is important to customers and i will do my best to help create one but i really do need help doing this if the list is to be finished in a reasonable amount of time plus i can not play pal.

lord_raymon
Active around PSXDEV
Active around PSXDEV

Post by lord_raymon » October 28th, 2016, 8:51 am

lord_raymon wrote:LiberoGrande [PAL]

Game has not sound at intro and freezes when you press start or when the intro finish.

Tried with all XA/CDDA modes.

Tried with and without fastboot.

Tried with and without CU2 cuesheet.

If I press Reset button the screen get stuck at PSIO logo. I got to shut down the PSX and turn on again.

Just reported using the official form.

Sorry for my english :D

Edit. EDC? Is some kind of protection? This game has EDC.
Japanese version seems to work fine. Maybe this helps :shrug

lordofultima
Interested in PSXDEV
Interested in PSXDEV
I am a: Video Producer
Steam: lordofultima

Post by lordofultima » October 28th, 2016, 12:32 pm

lord_raymon wrote:

Game has not sound at intro and freezes when you press start or when the intro finish.

If I press Reset button the screen get stuck at PSIO logo. I got to shut down the PSX and turn on again.

A lot of PAL territory games have encryption, that you may have to patch out yourself. There's a website that offers these patches/patcher, but I can't remember it off the top of my head.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems
Cybdyn Systems
I am a: Systems Designer

Post by Matt » October 28th, 2016, 5:15 pm

Creating a baseline of games that currently do not work, helps us find what problems are occurring most in the existing firmware.

lord_raymon
Active around PSXDEV
Active around PSXDEV

Post by lord_raymon » October 28th, 2016, 8:57 pm

lordofultima wrote:
lord_raymon wrote:

A lot of PAL territory games have encryption, that you may have to patch out yourself. There's a website that offers these patches/patcher, but I can't remember it off the top of my head.
I think LiberoGrande PAL doesn't have any protection. LiberoGrande 2 has (not tested by me yet).

Matt
Cybdyn Systems
Cybdyn Systems
I am a: Systems Designer

Post by Matt » October 29th, 2016, 2:45 am

Thought I'd mention I just released a new firmware (which is actually a few months old, but I needed to release it since the new Menu System (V1.3.72) doesn't work without it. You'll notice it'll fix a few games, and break others. Again, a new firmware is in development, but this needed to get out already.

More information: http://www.psxdev.net/forum/viewtopic.p ... 169#p11169

aloram

Post by aloram » October 29th, 2016, 4:20 am

I submitted a problem through the official channel, but I figured I'd post it here as well. I'm using the latest firmwares and Menu System, and 3D Baseball (NTSC-U) doesn't work. After the FMV intro sequence, the game freezes on a black screen. It's a Redump image, merged using the Systems Console.

Please note that I'd never tried the game prior to today, so I'm not sure if it was broken with today's updates. Thanks.

EDIT: Can someone please try The Need for Speed (NTSC-U)? I'm running the latest updates, but I noticed this prior to today, as well. The game seems to play fine, but during a race, especially the beginning of one, the game freezes for a split second, often multiple times. I can't find any rhyme or reason to it, though it does seem to happen more often if you're racing against other opponents, as opposed to a time trial. It happens in maybe 60% of the races I've played.
Last edited by aloram on October 29th, 2016, 11:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

zredgemz

Post by zredgemz » October 29th, 2016, 6:26 am

Sure i will test need for speed after i switch over firmware, give me a bit of time but i will test it tonight.

aloram

Post by aloram » October 29th, 2016, 6:50 am

zredgemz wrote:Sure i will test need for speed after i switch over firmware, give me a bit of time but i will test it tonight.
Cool, thanks. I submitted the information to Shadow. The game seems to play fine other than the minor stuttering, but I haven't spent too much time with it.

zredgemz

Post by zredgemz » October 29th, 2016, 12:39 pm

The bug list has been updated and here is a list of games that work before i switch over to the next firmware and start the process all over again.

About to start again but i will test the need for speed first then retest every game i did before and then move on to new titles.
A new list will be made for both games that work and what does not, give me some time as it will take a few days to retest all the games i have on both lists.

Edit: The download for this text file is for this version of the psio firmware
ARM Firmware: V2.2.240
FPGA Firmware: PATV 31/10/2015
Menu System: V1.2.3
Attachments
psio list of games that work and seem to work.rtf
psio list of games that work and seem to work
(3.94 KiB) Downloaded 52 times

zredgemz

Post by zredgemz » October 29th, 2016, 4:25 pm

aloram wrote:
zredgemz wrote:Sure i will test need for speed after i switch over firmware, give me a bit of time but i will test it tonight.
Cool, thanks. I submitted the information to Shadow. The game seems to play fine other than the minor stuttering, but I haven't spent too much time with it.
This is the first need for speed correct? i have done about 6 races so far in single race and it seems fine, i did atlleast one tournament race so far.

aloram

Post by aloram » October 29th, 2016, 10:22 pm

zredgemz wrote:
aloram wrote:
This is the first need for speed correct? i have done about 6 races so far in single race and it seems fine, i did atlleast one tournament race so far.
Yes, the first one, sometimes named "Road & Track Presents: The Need for Speed." The game seems to play perfectly, other than the stuttering I mentioned. If you have time, try some tournament races, too, and watch the screen closely, especially the first 30 seconds or so of the race. I've seen it happen many times, often multiple times per race, but sometimes not at all. I can't seem to find any clear pattern for when it happens, though I do see it more often in the first 10 seconds or so, after the race starts, while I'm accelerating. The screen will freeze a split second, and then the action will continue. It's quick, but certainly noticeable.

Thanks.

EDIT: Playing it right now. One thing to note is that the screen temporarily freezes, but the sound does not.

I'm trying different things to see if I can find any logic to it, but I can't. It happened a minute ago while I was accelerating, and then it just happened again while I was braking. Try a head-to-head race, drive for a minute or so, and if it doesn't happen, press start and select "Restart." It happens in the majority of my races. Thanks.

EDIT AGAIN: The car, track, opponent, and view don't matter, as the stuttering happens regardless of which ones are selected. I'm doing a time trial right now, and it just happened, seemingly for no reason. I thought maybe it had something to do with changing gears, but it doesn't, as the stuttering happens at random times.
Last edited by aloram on October 29th, 2016, 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RetroProf
Curious about PSXDEV
Curious about PSXDEV

Post by RetroProf » October 29th, 2016, 10:37 pm

squallrs wrote:I could test 213 games :

Tested games:
Alien Resurrection
Did you have trouble with Alien Resurrection?

It boots fine for me, but there is extremely severe polygon flickering. Running it on SP1, via SCART on an SD TV, and the polygons flicker in and out, making it seem as if the scenery doesn't exist.

The game plays just fine, but this is weird. At first I thought it was an effect, like the lights going out, but I checked YouTube vids and it's not meant to happen. Also later on I could an NPC running away from an alien, through the scenery/walls even though I wasn't supposed to.

This is confusing, because I would assume the level data and polygon textures are loaded from the SD card into memory, not streamed, so...?

Is it just me, or does anyone else have this problem?