Official DCIO News and Development Thread

User avatar
zePeido
Member
Member
Posts: 13
Joined: December 19th, 2017, 12:03 am

Re: Official DCIO News and Development Thread

Post by zePeido » November 28th, 2018, 8:39 am

MateriaMind wrote:
November 28th, 2018, 5:35 am
Both these devices were designed with the 3.3V power in mind. They will not kill your console.
Thanks for shedding some light on this matter, I don't have enough knowledge and I've always been a bit worried about using these devices in my consoles. "Better safe than sorry" is what I usually tell myself.
USB-GDROM and GDEMU (also Phoebe and Rhea) use 3.3v for power, but doesn't the Dreamcast (and the Saturn) communicate with the original disc drive using other voltages? Do these devices convert the 3.3v into the 'correct' voltages in order to communicate with the consoles?

johnyept
Just Joined
Just Joined
Posts: 4
Joined: November 28th, 2018, 1:26 am

Re: Official DCIO News and Development Thread

Post by johnyept » November 28th, 2018, 9:11 am

zePeido wrote:
November 28th, 2018, 1:59 am
I'm using a USB-GDROM (http://3do-renovation.ru/USB-GDROM_Controller.htm), no problems so far.

Don't know which is better, the GDEMU or the USB-GDROM.
Thanks, didn't know that model. a USB port certainly gives more options, but the 100% compatibility it claims seems a bit high. In my opinion, the biggest downside of GDEMU is not having the sd card installed vertically for easy access.

zePeido wrote:
November 28th, 2018, 1:59 am
Also don't know if using a USB-GDROM or a GDEMU will slowly kill the console or not (https://db-electronics.ca/2017/07/05/th ... -consoles/).
I've been to that "flash warning" page before, I forgot all about it and coincidentally I just bought a Mega Everdrive X5 which is marked as good, instead of the X7 that costs over 60% more and is marked with a warning. I also have my sights on the SD2NES which is marked as pure gold, but since it's very expensive I'll go for other consoles first, like my PS1 which is crying for a PS-IO. I just hope I don't get disappointed with the compatibility rate on that one :/

offtopic: zePeido = tuga? :)

MateriaMind wrote:
November 28th, 2018, 5:35 am
There's no safety issue with GDEMU OR the USB GD-ROM. If you remove the 12V rail that fixes the "overheating" issue as it is anyways. I own both. That 12V rail was for the GDROM specifically and since it's removed it's a null issue. Both these devices were designed with the 3.3V power in mind. They will not kill your console.
It's weird how the original developers either didn't notice the overheating issue or simply discarded it. Anyway the 12v rail fix seems to be the solution but I did found a topic mentioning that a PAL console lost RGB signal after the 12v rail mod and regained it after undoing the mod. Coincidence or not, I'll put a pin on that until I actually have the console and a GDEMU clone in my hands...

User avatar
KarlG
Member
Member
Posts: 19
Joined: September 5th, 2018, 7:39 am
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1002
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Official DCIO News and Development Thread

Post by KarlG » November 28th, 2018, 9:58 am

I did the 12V Fix mod on my PAL Dreamcast and the RGB Scart output stopped working, this is with the official cables. Only the Hanzo VGA box worked. I prefer using RGB Scart on a CRT so I can use a light gun etc

During my testing I did not notice any obvious difference in how warm the console felt. I was using the USB-GDROM and had the original black plastic and metal casing from the optical drive installed to maintain the original airflow design. Most people just drop the board in and leave a big hole in the top so the fan simply sucks air from the Optical drive opening and out through the fan bypassing the PSU and just letting it to boil.

I decided to just reconnect the 12V rail.

johnyept
Just Joined
Just Joined
Posts: 4
Joined: November 28th, 2018, 1:26 am

Re: Official DCIO News and Development Thread

Post by johnyept » November 28th, 2018, 7:31 pm

KarlG wrote:
November 28th, 2018, 9:58 am
I did the 12V Fix mod on my PAL Dreamcast and the RGB Scart output stopped working, this is with the official cables. Only the Hanzo VGA box worked. I prefer using RGB Scart on a CRT so I can use a light gun etc

During my testing I did not notice any obvious difference in how warm the console felt. I was using the USB-GDROM and had the original black plastic and metal casing from the optical drive installed to maintain the original airflow design. Most people just drop the board in and leave a big hole in the top so the fan simply sucks air from the Optical drive opening and out through the fan bypassing the PSU and just letting it to boil.

I decided to just reconnect the 12V rail.
Thanks for the confirmation. I thought of using something like this:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/392170588578
It uses the original GD-ROM screws, holds the GDEMU in place, mimics the original GD-ROM design to help with the air flow, helps preventing accidentally dropping the SD card inside the console and has extra SD card placeholders. Even so, the original GDEMU design should have included something to fake some kind of load on the 12v rail.

EDIT: a basic tutorial for managing the games in the SD card, with mention of GDMenu and SD Card Maker for GDMenu.

User avatar
zePeido
Member
Member
Posts: 13
Joined: December 19th, 2017, 12:03 am

Re: Official DCIO News and Development Thread

Post by zePeido » November 29th, 2018, 5:07 am

You can place a resistor in the 12V rail (this works for the GDEMU and USB-GDROM), I believe it reduces the heat a little bit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVKN3pQ11wM

You can also buy a DreamPSU.
https://www.retropsu.com/store/product/dreampsu

Or build a PicoPSU.

johnyept wrote:
November 28th, 2018, 9:11 am
I've been to that "flash warning" page before, I forgot all about it and coincidentally I just bought a Mega Everdrive X5 which is marked as good, instead of the X7 that costs over 60% more and is marked with a warning. I also have my sights on the SD2NES which is marked as pure gold, but since it's very expensive I'll go for other consoles first, like my PS1 which is crying for a PS-IO. I just hope I don't get disappointed with the compatibility rate on that one :/

offtopic: zePeido = tuga? :)
I have bought a cheap chinese NES cart with most of the important games, I've stopped using it after reading the article (it was less than 15€, so no big damage to the wallet).
I was also considering buying a Neo Geo MVS cart, but fortunately I've read the article in time.

Offtopic: tuga :)

User avatar
MateriaMind
/// CYBDYN SYSTEMS ELITE ///
/// CYBDYN SYSTEMS ELITE ///
Posts: 253
Joined: February 26th, 2014, 10:04 pm
I am a: Nurse
PlayStation Model: SCPH-5501
Location: United States

Re: Official DCIO News and Development Thread

Post by MateriaMind » November 29th, 2018, 7:44 am

zePeido wrote:
November 28th, 2018, 8:39 am
MateriaMind wrote:
November 28th, 2018, 5:35 am
Both these devices were designed with the 3.3V power in mind. They will not kill your console.
Thanks for shedding some light on this matter, I don't have enough knowledge and I've always been a bit worried about using these devices in my consoles. "Better safe than sorry" is what I usually tell myself.
USB-GDROM and GDEMU (also Phoebe and Rhea) use 3.3v for power, but doesn't the Dreamcast (and the Saturn) communicate with the original disc drive using other voltages? Do these devices convert the 3.3v into the 'correct' voltages in order to communicate with the consoles?
The drives operate at 3.3V. If you look at the GD-ROM drive before you remove it, you'll notice that it 3.3V is stamped on the GD-ROM metal housing right on top. VA1 and VA2 models (Dreamcast) used 3.3V. VA0 I believe used 5V.
"What is a man?!? A miserable little pile of secrets!"

johnyept
Just Joined
Just Joined
Posts: 4
Joined: November 28th, 2018, 1:26 am

Re: Official DCIO News and Development Thread

Post by johnyept » November 29th, 2018, 8:07 am

zePeido wrote:
November 29th, 2018, 5:07 am
You can place a resistor in the 12V rail (this works for the GDEMU and USB-GDROM), I believe it reduces the heat a little bit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVKN3pQ11wM

You can also buy a DreamPSU.
https://www.retropsu.com/store/product/dreampsu

Or build a PicoPSU.
I'll probably go for the cheapest option: resistor + ebay fake GD-ROM case to maintain original flow. I don't want to disable the 12v rail because I want to get the best quality from both analog (RGB) and digital (VGA) outputs, since I have an old CRT TV for older consoles (lightgun games and such) and a TFT monitor for HDMI/VGA consoles, so the Dreamcast can be connected to both :D

User avatar
zePeido
Member
Member
Posts: 13
Joined: December 19th, 2017, 12:03 am

Re: Official DCIO News and Development Thread

Post by zePeido » November 29th, 2018, 11:00 pm

MateriaMind wrote:
November 29th, 2018, 7:44 am
The drives operate at 3.3V. If you look at the GD-ROM drive before you remove it, you'll notice that it 3.3V is stamped on the GD-ROM metal housing right on top. VA1 and VA2 models (Dreamcast) used 3.3V. VA0 I believe used 5V.
Thanks, I did not know that.
I've been searching more about this matter and I also found this:
https://gdemu.wordpress.com/details/dreamcast-details/
It says that GDEMU has an under-voltage protection. That is useful, that way a person can easily identify the problem and solve it before any damage is done. I wonder if USB-GDROM also has a similar protection...

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest