Official PSIO News and Development Thread

Official Development, Research, Bug Fixes and Progress directly from Cybdyn Systems
Forum rules
This section is for development news, research, bug fixes, progress, changes and information in regards to PSIO directly posted from Cybdyn Systems. Do not post any questions here relating to your order as they will be deleted. Instead, please go back and create a new post in the "Help and Support" forum. Thanks.
Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
I am a: Systems Designer

Post by Matt » October 22nd, 2016, 1:26 am

[The old threads have been packed away, making this #4]
Here we will have news and development (regarding firmwares, etc) for PSIO.

The primary news feed however, may be found on the homepage here: http://ps-io.com/news
If you have any problems with PSIO, please send us a message by going here: http://ps-io.com/problem

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Re: Official PSIO News and Development Thread

Post by Matt » October 22nd, 2016, 1:29 am

I'm working on a new firmware for PSIO. It will run on the previous hardware, and should be released early next year. It plans to address all major game issues. I also plan to begin injection moulding to speed up assembly times considerably for much faster turn over times and full product distribution.

Cybdyn will now only be involved with PSIO when required. Full maintenance and development of the ARM and FPGA firmware has been issued to me.

likeabaus

Post by likeabaus » October 22nd, 2016, 1:53 am

W00t!
I'm launching a new modding shop soon: www.catsandcampers.wix.com/videogameenhancement

MateriaMind
/// CYBDYN SYSTEMS ELITE ///
/// CYBDYN SYSTEMS ELITE ///
I am a: Nurse
PlayStation Model: SCPH-5501

Post by MateriaMind » October 22nd, 2016, 6:30 am

Glad to hear that momentum has not been hugely impacted. I'm sorry to hear however Cybdyn's role has been reduced but completely understand as to why things have happened to turn out this way. I still hope things can be solved amicably between you two because you both put out such an awesome product as a result of both your technical and mechanical talents. Good luck :)
"What is a man?!? A miserable little pile of secrets!"

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » October 22nd, 2016, 11:00 pm

JIRA database filled :)

Attachments
jira1.png
(165.31 KiB) Not downloaded yet

xamphear

Post by xamphear » October 23rd, 2016, 1:42 am

I was disappointed to follow what happened in the previous thread, but I'm pleased that there's progress. I do have one question out of curiosity:

Matt, have you ever programmed for an FPGA before? It seems like writing an entirely new firmware from scratch is a huge undertaking, and would be made even more challenging if it's a new area of development for you.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » October 23rd, 2016, 2:15 am

xamphear wrote:I was disappointed to follow what happened in the previous thread, but I'm pleased that there's progress. I do have one question out of curiosity:

Matt, have you ever programmed for an FPGA before? It seems like writing an entirely new firmware from scratch is a huge undertaking, and would be made even more challenging if it's a new area of development for you.
I have programmed FPGA's before, but only in Verilog, and what I programmed was extremely simple. As for PSIO, yes, it's a huge task and it's coded in VHDL, so I've brought in a new person to work on it under contract to help re-code it.

aloram

Post by aloram » October 23rd, 2016, 3:19 am

Shadow wrote:
xamphear wrote:I was disappointed to follow what happened in the previous thread, but I'm pleased that there's progress. I do have one question out of curiosity:

Shadow, have you ever programmed for an FPGA before? It seems like writing an entirely new firmware from scratch is a huge undertaking, and would be made even more challenging if it's a new area of development for you.
I have programmed FPGA's before, but only in Verilog, and what I programmed was extremely simple. As for PSIO, yes, it's a huge task and it's coded in VHDL, so I've brought in a new person to work on it under contract to help re-code it.
As always, I really appreciate the honesty and transparency.

This is a great device and a great company. Looking forward to whatever the future brings.

lord_raymon
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by lord_raymon » October 23rd, 2016, 3:32 am

Thank you for not abandoning this project :praise

I love my PSIO. Today I played Harmful Park and Tekken 3 :dance

Greg2600
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by Greg2600 » October 23rd, 2016, 3:34 am

You and CybDyn deserve to take a bow for what's been done so far. If I had to make a few tips, obviously the capability for larger storage (for the hoarders!) via USB is I'm sure on everyone's wish list. I would also love to see the whole CDDA/Track/Cue file process simplified for dopes like me! But beyond that, this is a highly compatible and IMO affordable product you have.

aloram

Post by aloram » October 23rd, 2016, 7:54 am

Greg2600 wrote:I would also love to see the whole CDDA/Track/Cue file process simplified for dopes like me!
Agreed. The closer the PSIO is to a "drag and drop" device, the better. Matt seems to agree, as he's already done a lot to make it more user-friendly.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » October 23rd, 2016, 2:09 pm

aloram wrote:
Greg2600 wrote:I would also love to see the whole CDDA/Track/Cue file process simplified for dopes like me!
Agreed. The closer the PSIO is to a "drag and drop" device, the better. Matt seems to agree, as he's already done a lot to make it more user-friendly.
Indeed. What I wanted to implement for the ARM logic almost a year ago was a real-time CUE to CU2 conversion. So, you'd actually place CUE sheet on the SD Card along with your BIN image instead of a CU2 because the ARM would internally convert it to "CU2 data" (which would be metadata).

Greg, as for doing it at the moment, the easiest way is to use the Systems Console program under Windows.

Captain N

Post by Captain N » October 24th, 2016, 12:03 am

I know that I sound like a broken record here, but right now, I would actually be more excited about SDXC compatibility than anything else.
32GB is nice but it still forces me to often pick, choose and switch around stuff on my SD card.
Having everything ready in one place is one of the things I love so much about flash carts
SDXC would pretty much completely eliminate this issiue as they provide more than enough space for almost every game on the system, let alone all the game I'd like to have there.
Heck, Sandisk just recently revealed a 1TB SD card. It's of course way to expensive right now but still, a 128/256GB SD card would make the PSIO so much more appealing to use more often as I wouldn't have to constantly switch games around.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » October 24th, 2016, 12:48 am

Captain N wrote:I know that I sound like a broken record here, but right now, I would actually be more excited about SDXC compatibility than anything else.
32GB is nice but it still forces me to often pick, choose and switch around stuff on my SD card.
Having everything ready in one place is one of the things I love so much about flash carts
SDXC would pretty much completely eliminate this issiue as they provide more than enough space for almost every game on the system, let alone all the game I'd like to have there.
Heck, Sandisk just recently revealed a 1TB SD card. It's of course way to expensive right now but still, a 128/256GB SD card would make the PSIO so much more appealing to use more often as I wouldn't have to constantly switch games around.
I'll look into it at one stage :)

Captain N

Post by Captain N » October 24th, 2016, 9:50 am

Wonderful :)
It's definitely my most wanted request for the PSIO.
I have no idea what it would take on a technical level to achieve it tho,

waiwainl
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by waiwainl » October 24th, 2016, 11:39 pm

Happy to see re-newed progress!

One question; will the 25th October start of ordering still be happening?

kikujade
Seriously Active at Cybdyn Systems
Seriously Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by kikujade » October 25th, 2016, 12:29 am

Captain N wrote:I know that I sound like a broken record here, but right now, I would actually be more excited about SDXC compatibility than anything else.
Aren't 128 and 256 GB cards already usable on the PS-IO? several users have reported them to work after formatting them to FAT32.
PS4s: CUH-2015A
Xbox360s: Corona
Xbox: Xcalibur 1.6
PS3s: CECH-2511A
PS2s: V6/SCPH-30001R, V7/SCPH-39001, V9/SCPH-50001
PS1s: SCPH-7501, SCPH-5501(3), SCPH-9001
Saturns: HST-0001 VA0, VA2, VA5
Gens: Genesis 2 VA3 (3)
Wiis: RVL-CPU-01
N64s: NUS-CPU-05, NUS-CPU-02
Snes: SHVC-CPU-01, SNS-CPU-GPM-01, SNS-CPU-GPM-02, SNS-CPU-1CHIP-01
Nes: AVS NES v2

sparksterz
PSIO Donator
PSIO Donator

Post by sparksterz » October 25th, 2016, 2:10 am

Question on Jira...is that just being used as a work tracker or bug tracking? It'd be nice to have a point of reference to search through for latest compatibility discussion. Something similar to github's issues section.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » October 25th, 2016, 2:25 am

128 GB and 256 GB cards apparently work, but I've never tried them. They are not officially supported though and I don't recommend using one since you will run into problems sooner or later.

JIRA is used as a private bug tracker. The latest public compatibility list can be found on our website, which I need to update when I have some spare time based off of the JIRA list.

sparksterz
PSIO Donator
PSIO Donator

Post by sparksterz » October 25th, 2016, 2:42 am

Matt wrote:JIRA is used as a private bug tracker. The latest public compatibility list can be found on our website, which I need to update when I have some spare time based off of the JIRA list.
>.> I wasn't sure if making it public read only would save you any time rather than having to scrub and update 2 different areas.