Official PSIO News and Development Thread

Official Development, Research, Bug Fixes and Progress directly from Cybdyn Systems
Forum rules
This section is for development news, research, bug fixes, progress, changes and information in regards to PSIO directly posted from Cybdyn Systems. Do not post any questions here relating to your order as they will be deleted. Instead, please go back and create a new post in the "Help and Support" forum. Thanks.
Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
I am a: Systems Designer

Re: Official PSIO News and Development Thread

Post by Matt » November 28th, 2018, 1:50 pm

Okay, we've almost got the new XA re-sampler logic working! I'll release the new update (which will be a major one) once the new XA logic is fixed so we can tackle all the problems that were reported in one update :)

It will be released just in time for the Christmas holidays ;)

Here is a list of what it covers so far:

Code: Select all

Menu System Changes:
   - [Bug Fix] CU2 sheets are now detected again.
   - [Bug Fix] Fixed a bug where some Multi-Disc titles wouldn't boot and the PlayStation would enter an infinite loop.
   - [Bug Fix] If you entered a directory that had 'High Fragmentation' whilst in search mode, it now resets out of search mode.
   - [Bug Fix] Whilst in search mode, unplugging the controller will now exit search mode.
   - [Bug Fix] A CD timeout bug has been fixed. This was due to the menu attempting to read a wallpaper file even if it wasn't present.
   - [Improvement] Unnecessary folders are now ignored (EG: "System Volume Information", ".fseventsd", ".Spotlight-V100", ".Trashes" and ".DS_Store").
   - [Improvement] The ARM Firmware is now updated via the Menu System (FIRMWARE.AFW is no longer required as a seperate file).
   - [Improvement] The FPGA Firmware is now updated via the Menu System (UPDATE.FPG is no longer required as a seperate file).
   - [Improvement] The EXTDSP K1V3 assembly logic has been updated to now save and restore the K0 register.
   - [Improvement] The option "Reboot the PlayStation" now boots to the BIOS which can be used for managing Memory Card data.
   - [Improvement] Whenever a new firmware is updated, a list of changes is now displayed automatically.

ARM Firmware Changes:
   - XA re-sampling quality significantly improved.
   - Fixed "Soul Blade [NTSC-U/C]" and "Soul Edge [NTSC-J]".
   - Fixed "Wipeout 2097" and "Wipeout XL".
   - Fixed "Spyro 2: Gateway to Glimmer [PAL]".
   - Fixed "Dance Dance Revolution [NTSC-J]".

fille1976
Seriously Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by fille1976 » November 28th, 2018, 10:35 pm

Nice update log for christmas update.
Keep up the good work.

Apsley Garrard
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1002

Post by Apsley Garrard » November 29th, 2018, 1:15 am

So if I understood correctly, the XA decoding won't be moved to the FPGA, just improved on the ARM. Is that right?

Anyway, thanks for all the effort put on all these updates. We love you Matt (and Yuri) :praise

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » November 29th, 2018, 1:46 am

We'll see how we go but we might be able to get it processing at full speed in the ARM. If not then yes, we will use the FPGA. I'll be sure to let everyone know how we go with it and what we do.

Thanks 'Apsley'. Love you too mate as well as all our supporters :lol:

zacksff7
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by zacksff7 » November 29th, 2018, 4:13 am

A very nice update list.

There is a way to every game have a indivudual XA/CDDA Mode option?

Another idea, a option to swap disc image by pressing eject if it is possible.

Thanks!

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » November 29th, 2018, 11:54 am

zacksff7 wrote:
November 29th, 2018, 4:13 am
There is a way to every game have a indivudual XA/CDDA Mode option?
Thanks!
Yes you can have individual control over the XA/CDDA mode. Read the 'Systems Manual' more carefully.

Jboner1058

Post by Jboner1058 » November 29th, 2018, 12:17 pm

Matt wrote:
November 28th, 2018, 1:50 pm

Menu System Changes:
   - [Bug Fix] Fixed a bug where some Multi-Disc titles wouldn't boot and the PlayStation would enter an infinite loop.

Will this fix my issue with CU2 games not loading?

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » November 29th, 2018, 3:04 pm

It may do, but yours sounds like another issue that I can't quite figure out.

Jboner1058

Post by Jboner1058 » November 29th, 2018, 11:42 pm

I found that if I don't use the psio console to merge the bins, and instead use daemon tools and imgburn they do load. So my issue is in the console software. Ive noticed when compiling through the console software they aren't being merged in the correct order. It will start with say track thirteen, then go to track 5, then track 7 and so on. But you guys have a new console software revision coming soon right? That might clear up my issue. Also, congrats on getting Wipeout XL up and running! My second favorite game for the console!

krisk77

Post by krisk77 » November 29th, 2018, 11:45 pm

How far off is the ATV register support Matt?

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » November 30th, 2018, 12:58 am

We will do full ATV register support once we get the new XA re-sampler working :)
Then, the last milestone is to finally get "Jackie Chan Stuntmaster" working.

Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko » December 3rd, 2018, 10:46 am

Wow, all the improvements/fixes are amazing. Sadly, I still didn't manage to save the cash for my order (the economy where I live just sucks, to be honest), but I'm more excited than ever. I guess the X-mas will be great for those who already have and use it.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » December 4th, 2018, 3:46 am

We will be updating how firmwares are downloaded this week. Users have complained that they can't download them because they don't have an account. Don't worry, we are working on a better solution :)

We've been working hard, and in this major update, finally, we have fixed the XA re-sampler! Castlevania and many other games with XA have never sounded so good :praise

Merry Christmas, from the PSIO team here at Cybdyn Systems :mrgreen:

New Menu System

======================================
  |~[Recent Changes from 2.6.3->2.6.4]~|
  ======================================
   - [Bug Fix] If you entered a directory that had 'High Fragmentation' whilst in search mode, it now resets out of search mode.
   - [Bug Fix] Whilst in search mode, unplugging the controller will now exit search mode.
   - [Bug Fix] A CD timeout bug has been fixed. This was due to the menu attempting to read a wallpaper file even if it wasn't present.
   - [Improvement] Unnecessary folders are now ignored (EG: "System Volume Information", ".fseventsd", ".Spotlight-V100", ".Trashes" and ".DS_Store").
   - [Improvement] The ARM Firmware is now updated via the Menu System (FIRMWARE.AFW is no longer required as a seperate file).
   - [Improvement] The FPGA Firmware is now updated via the Menu System (UPDATE.FPG is no longer required as a seperate file).
   - [Improvement] The EXTDSP K1V3 assembly logic has been updated to now save and restore the K0 register.
   - [Improvement] The option "Reboot the PlayStation" now boots to the BIOS which can be used for managing Memory Card data.
   - [Improvement] Whenever a new firmware is updated, a list of changes is now displayed automatically.

New ARM Firmware

- Internal updating logic added.
        - XA re-sampling logic updated.
	- Fixed "Soul Blade [NTSC-U/C]" and "Soul Edge [NTSC-J]".
	- Fixed "Wipeout 2097" and "Wipeout XL".
	- Fixed "Spyro 2: Gateway to Glimmer [PAL].
	- Fixed "Dance Dance Revolution [NTSC-J]".

fille1976

Post by fille1976 » December 4th, 2018, 6:28 am

Nice update Matt

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » December 4th, 2018, 6:53 am

Thanks! I've found a bug already though which is that the intro video isn't playing sometimes and if it does, afterwards it crashes the system. I'll take a look into it tomorrow.

Someone has also reported that the "Initialising" screen on power up is freezing so I'll take a look at that tomorrow too. If anyone else has this issue, please reply here on this topic with your PlayStation model so I can test it myself and find the issue.

fille1976

Post by fille1976 » December 4th, 2018, 7:58 am

Can you test xevious 3d/g,it was working in 1 of the updates,but last i tested it again and it ws not working anymore matt,i believe its in the jira.
I tested it in the latest update with all options,its ntsc redump version.
grts

Apsley Garrard
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1002

Post by Apsley Garrard » December 4th, 2018, 8:02 am

I've just been trying to update the cartridge. I deleted the old Menu file from the SD card and copied the new one. It went through the update screen, aparently updating the ARM, and then it threw an error telling that I needed to update my ARM. Then I rebooted the console and it got stuck in the initialising screen. It never gets past it.

So then I tried to copy the old Menu file and it says that it need the ARM to be in version 2.5.4. So that tells us that the ARM was successfully updated to 2.6.

My console is an SCPH-1002 with an stealth v2.8 modchip.

OopsAllBerrys
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by OopsAllBerrys » December 4th, 2018, 8:35 am

Copied over the ARM update and Menu update and my USA SCPH-1001 is stuck at Initialising.
Last edited by OopsAllBerrys on December 4th, 2018, 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

krisk77

Post by krisk77 » December 4th, 2018, 8:56 am

OopsAllBerrys wrote:
December 4th, 2018, 8:35 am
Copied over the ARM update and Menu update and my SCPH-1001 is stuck at Initialising.
What region, board rev is it? Mine is a Japanese SCPH-5000 PU-8 board and mine gets stuck at the "Initalising" screen with ARM 2.6.0 and Menu 2.6.4. Even after removing the new ARM firmware file from the SD it still freezes with just the new Menu on the SD.

I had to go back to the previous ARM and Menu version and reset my options to default in order to use my PSIO cart again. I cannot update to the new version.

krisk77

Post by krisk77 » December 4th, 2018, 9:05 am

Apsley Garrard wrote:
December 4th, 2018, 8:02 am
I've just been trying to update the cartridge. I deleted the old Menu file from the SD card and copied the new one. It went through the update screen, aparently updating the ARM, and then it threw an error telling that I needed to update my ARM. Then I rebooted the console and it got stuck in the initialising screen. It never gets past it.

So then I tried to copy the old Menu file and it says that it need the ARM to be in version 2.5.4. So that tells us that the ARM was successfully updated to 2.6.

My console is an SCPH-1002 with an stealth v2.8 modchip.

Please post your exact model of board and region as it will help Matt figure out what is happening.

It does appear to flash the new ARM 2.6.0 imo, even though it freezes on the "Initialising" screen because like you say, it throws an error about needing ARM 2.5.4 when using the Menu 2.6.3, so if it didn't update then it should work as before without having to downgrade again because ARM 2.5.4 should be still flashed and not 2.6.0.

You'll have to reflash ARM 2.5.4 again and use Menu 2.6.3 again, as that is what i had to do, as I cannot update to the new version, as it gets stuck on the "Initialising" screen everytime I try to update to the new version.
Last edited by krisk77 on December 4th, 2018, 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.